Pogba and Fernandes

romufc

Yet, somehow despite his unwillingness to move around, he managed to be in the top3 for the majority of statistical categories during his tenure with us.
Which stats are those? No question he is a talent and got us assists last season.

Not hard when we had off form Fred, Lingard, Matic playing for us.

Majority of the stats includes goals, assists, clean sheets.

Canagel

Yet, somehow despite his unwillingness to move around, he managed to be in the top3 for the majority of statistical categories during his tenure with us.
The more you think about it the more it reinforces just what a good job Pogba has done.
Bruno has been very good in a advance position but if we are really honest everyone knows he wouldn't be half the player if he isn't advanced. His first game here already is proof of that where he was forced to accommodate Andreas in the double pivot and restricted to shooting from far with little else.
Now Pogba has been working under that condition for 3 years and still managed to produced similar world class passes, assists and topping majority of attacking stats as you said despite being sacrificed into the midfield two for most of the time here. It only makes you realise how good a job Pogba has done and the calibre of player he is.

Fracture90

Which stats are those? No question he is a talent and got us assists last season.

Not hard when we had off form Fred, Lingard, Matic playing for us.

Majority of the stats includes goals, assists, clean sheets.
Assists, chances created, key passes made...he was even high up for recoveries made and for a time, distance covered.

You can't be moving the goalpost all the time with "not hard when he had off form…" whenever your meet with a counter argument.

romufc

Assists, chances created, key passes made...he was even high up for recoveries made and for a time, distance covered.

You can't be moving the goalpost all the time with "not hard when he had off form…" whenever your meet with a counter argument.
Okay, go on show me the stats per year since he has been here then.

Saying assists, chances created, key passes made but with no actual stats mean nothing.

Fine, I will keep the goal post and then compare it with World class players in the league.

Fracture90

Okay, go on show me the stats per year since he has been here then.

Saying assists, chances created, key passes made but with no actual stats mean nothing.

Fine, I will keep the goal post and then compare it with World class players in the league.
Judging by your posting here, you have well enough time to do the research yourself. Just go and Google whatever you need.

It's interesting how your argument was regarding off form players around him, but it's a double edged sword then, just remember how many sitters from his passes our strikers (Zlatan, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Lingard etc) have missed.

SaintMuppet

Either or, not both!

Pogba needs to convince us he gives a shit before I even give him a seat on the bench

TheLeviathan

In all seriousness people, you've all forgotten how good Pogba could be for us with a functioning midfield around him.

Fracture90

The more you think about it the more it reinforces just what a good job Pogba has done.
Bruno has been very good in a advance position but if we are really honest everyone knows he wouldn't be half the player if he isn't advanced. His first game here already is proof of that where he was forced to accommodate Andreas in the double pivot and restricted to shooting from far with little else.
Now Pogba has been working under that condition for 3 years and still managed to produced similar world class passes, assists and topping majority of attacking stats as you said despite being sacrificed into the midfield two for most of the time here. It only makes you realise how good a job Pogba has done and the calibre of player he is.
Yup, even under that dull dinosaur that is Mourinho, he was still producing.

izzydiggler

You’ve got a player that’s been largely underwhelming for nigh on 4 years IMO, who wants to leave and has been injured pretty much all season.

Shoehorning him in to (for the first time in ages) a team that’s improving and looking good at times, so he can get fit to play in the Euros and feck off in the summer is just stupid.

Maybe it’s ‘cutting your nose off’ but I think we should be working on next season and only playing players that will be here then, getting a head start...if he (for whatever reason) signs a new deal and commits for another few years, yes but until then...

romufc

Judging by your posting here, you have well enough time to do the research yourself. Just go and Google whatever you need.

It's interesting how your argument was regarding off form players around him, but it's a double edged sword then, just remember how many sitters from his passes our strikers (Zlatan, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Lingard etc) have missed.
No point discussing with someone who says stuff without backup.

Just to give you an example of the backup that he isnt a WC player.

You mentioned top 3 in goals. 17/18 when we finished 2nd he was 6th highest goal scorer behind Lingard too. Even 16/17 he was 6th top scorer and assists.

Fracture90

No point discussing with someone who says stuff without backup.

Just to give you an example of the backup that he isnt a WC player.

You mentioned top 3 in goals. 17/18 when we finished 2nd he was 6th highest goal scorer behind Lingard too. Even 16/17 he was 6th top scorer and assists.
Was he not a part of the EPL team of the 2018-2019 season?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ogba-stats-show-why-juventus-real-madrid/amp/

Here you've got some of his stats.

If you don't mind can you please quote me that part in which I'm saying he was top3 in goals? Cheers.

Mingus

Stats don't tell the whole story with Pogba (or Martial for that matter).
I'd love to see Pogba come into the team and hit it off with Bruno and Fred etc. but going on past matches he would probably slow down the crisp passing we have now.

In the past, Pogba's reluctance to release the ball quickly has been blamed on the lack of runners ahead and generally the lack of quality around him. Unfortunately for him, Bruno has come in to the team and been a inspiring catalyst that has brought the best out of others. Perhaps the Mino/Pogba rhetoric regarding United lessening the quality of good players can now be seen as the nonsense it always was.
However, Matic has improved upon his ponderous play and perhaps Pogba can do the same having seen a quality player thriving with the same material around him.
Perhaps we will see a more positive Paul, and not just in the isolated moments that provide impressive golden personal stats.

romufc

Was he not a part of the EPL team of the 2018-2019 season?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ogba-stats-show-why-juventus-real-madrid/amp/

Here you've got some of his stats.

If you don't mind can you please quote me that part in which I'm saying he was top3 in goals? Cheers.

top3 for the majority of statistical categories during his tenure with us.
Goals is the biggest statistical category.

his tenure consists of one season? 13 goals and 6 assists as your best season is classed as being World Class now?

KDB plays in CM and is classified as world class, I don't even need to show you his stats.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Getting Pogba back to form will be a win-win situation for us.

We get valuable wins/points. We then sell him for much higher money in summer.

Not sure if it will work until we give it a try but a strong axis in midfield with Pogba-Bruno as the centre will surely benefit us if it does.

Fracture90

his tenure consists of one season? 13 goals and 6 assists as your best season is classed as being World Class now?

KDB plays in CM and is classified as world class, I don't even need to show you his stats.
Good thing I wrote "majority" and not all, right? Surely you've read that part?

13/6 is a dmn good return considering the clustersfek we were under Mourinho up until Ole took over. Also he won world cup year before and was one of France's best players.

Don't forget that KDB is with world class players around him, under one of the best managers in the world, playing the style of football that suits his style whilst Pogba had, "off form Fred, Lingard, Matić", eh?

Infestissumam

9 of those 13 goals were pens I believe.

I get that people want to believe Pogba is world class, but the reality is that he really hasn't been during his United tenure. Now, we can all absolve him of any blame and point to the other midfielders and/or the managers. Fine. Personally I see things a bit differently because I expected him to be a leader and "driver" for us. He has never been that on a consistent basis. Pogba sure looks different for France when he has Kante and friends next to him ... every midfielder would look different in that situation. But he simply can't carry a midfield as a leader in my opinion and that was what he was expected to do here.

unitedrulez84

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-fernandes-scholes-manchester-united-17829461

Paul Scholes has questioned whether Paul Pogba would actually make Manchester United better after the arrival of Bruno Fernandes.

The former United star claims that Fernandes is providing the type of impact that Pogba was supposed to in the last couple of seasons.

Scholes' kind words on Fernandes came after his starring role for the Reds in their 5-0 hammering of Club Brugge in the last 32 second-leg tie in the Europa League, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side now set to face LASK Linz in the last 16.

Fernandes scored the opener from the penalty spot before the rout ensued.

Scholes was speaking post-match and praised Fernandes but also took a swipe at the currently injured Pogba.

"The fact that nobody has been talking about Pogba coming back into the team in the last few weeks speaks volumes for what Fernandes has brought to the team," Scholes told BT Sport.

"He has probably brought to the table what Pogba hasn't in the last couple of years. Fernandes has been allowed the freedom and it's worked.

"Pogba is a great player but it doesn't look like he is going to be here next season. I just think United should carry on as they are.

"I think it would be tough for Pogba to get in this team at the moment."

On Fernandes, Scholes added: "He feeds good players around him. You think of good teams in the past and all of them have that link between the midfield and the attack.

"It's early days and we don't want to get too carried away but he just looks that type of player who can knit a full attack together."

Ander herrera the warrior

2nd half against Everton, I can clearly see some of our players are very tired with back to back fixtures in both premier league and Europa. We need to focus on both as we don't know which is going to give us Champions league next season.

Which got me thinking, instead of Bruno and Pogba, why not rotate the 2? Infact, we should do that with all positions except maybe our wingers since we only have James and Greenwood who is reliable at the moment.

We should rotate these players

1. Pogba/Bruno
2. Matic/Fred/Mctominay
3. Maguire/Bailly/Lindelof/Tuanzebe
4. Shaw/Williams
5. Wan Bissaka/Dalot
6. Martial/Ighalo

Valuedrug

That summer before he came here, Pogba was the one player I really wanted United to sign. When he came, I thought it really heralded the dawn of a new, great United side in the making.

Over the years he has in my opinion shown the potential of being everything we could have ever wanted him to be. A goal scorer, a creator, a dominant centre of gravity for the team. But he has never managed to move beyond this potential, due to a blend of different issues. Foremost among those rampant individualism and a poor attitude.

In my opinion Pogba moved on from United quite a while ago, and I think we should try to accept that. Yes, it’s theoretically possible he could have no better options in the summer, or even that a new manager might change his outlook somewhat. But personally I’m done.

We can do much better than pining for the idea of what he could be, and it will send an important signal to current and future players about what is tolerated at the club.

MadMike

I for one, very much look forward to it.

That diamond formation that worked wonders in the first half against Everton would have been so much more potent with Pogba in the LM position ahead of McTominay.

Rolaholic

I for one, very much look forward to it.

That diamond formation that worked wonders in the first half against Everton would have been so much more potent with Pogba in the LM position ahead of McTominay.
Agreed, can't wait to see him and Bruno playing together

Oldyella

Agreed, can't wait to see him and Bruno playing together
Same here. A lot of Pogbas problems were when he tried to do everything himself and teams normally doubled or even tripled up on him. Cant do that when we also have Bruno in midfield.

MadMike

Same here. A lot of Pogbas problems were when he tried to do everything himself and teams normally doubled or even tripled up on him. Cant do that when we also have Bruno in midfield.
You want to see a player perform his best, you surround him with good players to avoid him being singled out. It’s not rocket science. Even Messi, arguably the best player of all time, has struggled playing for Argentina when he’s the only genuine threat they have up front while their midfield is shite. Hopefully Fernandes, Fred and Matic can be for Pogba at United what Griezmann, Kante and Matuidi were for him with Fance WC 2018.

Which also makes me think that renewing Matic, or (ideally) finding a very capable long-term replacement for him, will be pivotal for the good function of our midfield next year.

cyril C

I'd rather keep Mata instead of Pogba. He seems to have a good partnership with Bruno.
Mata may not be the best RW but a) he is content with squad role, which we always require b) he can contribute in European games and possibly in some EPL games c) Mata is always useful if the game is not too physical, and his understanding with other players (with Martial, Fred as well) are always good d) Mata is a good squad player, with both British and foreign players, I always thought he should be the Captain after Young e) he is not so expensive

That doesn't mean we don't buy a young and proper right winger though.

OleTheGreat

I've been shouted down on here for saying Pogba needs better players around him to thrive but i stick to my opinion on that. Get him on with bruno and one of Fred/Scott and he will be much better i think.
Wow! Finally someone said it out loud. I've been saying this from the summer he was signed under Jose. He needs a proper passing midfielder alongside him and a fantastic holding midfielder who can turnover a pass. He need players who can just get the ball from the opposition and give it to him constantly. He will make things happen in every game. Pogba and Bruno are players who hate it when our own players keep losing possession. They are players who love to play with the ball at their feet and constantly make things happen. I think we have now found 4 midfielders who can take over the world of midfielders if they get together.

Pogba - Bruno
Fred/McT

I'm certain that at some point Ole will get this midfield underway and going and we are going to love every second of it. I just hope Pogba doesn't leave before we try to play the football he's been wanting from us. Even though we drew against Everton, i thought we played a good game. We kept pushing for the ball throughout the game and we did everything in out power to get a result. If not for De Gea's mistake, i think Everton would've pushed more and we could've countered them successfully.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Want to see them together but mostly with an eye to seeing how we utilise Fernandes with another very attacking CM. Might give us an idea of what we should do going forward once Pogba is gone.

theklr

In the latest "United we stand" podcast they mention that Raiola gets £5 million when Pogba plays his 100th game for United. He has played 99 so far .

Stadjer

Put Pogba in that Manchester City team coach by Guardiola and i am quite sure his stats will improve. Pogba got those stats in a Mourinho team while KdB plays in a Guardiola team.... that is quite a different situation.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
In the latest "United we stand" podcast they mention that Raiola gets £5 million when Pogba plays his 100th game for United. He has played 99 so far .
If this is true please don't play him again.

Not even a farewell sub appearance, he doesn't even fecking deserve one anyway.

Josh 76

Want to see them together but mostly with an eye to seeing how we utilise Fernandes with another very attacking CM. Might give us an idea of what we should do going forward once Pogba is gone.
When Bruno first signed, I thought it was a direct replacement for Pogba. But now that I've seen him play, he is a box to box, no.10. Ideal to play with pogba and one holding midfielder.

Darlington Padgett

Mata may not be the best RW but a) he is content with squad role, which we always require b) he can contribute in European games and possibly in some EPL games c) Mata is always useful if the game is not too physical, and his understanding with other players (with Martial, Fred as well) are always good d) Mata is a good squad player, with both British and foreign players, I always thought he should be the Captain after Young e) he is not so expensive

That doesn't mean we don't buy a young and proper right winger though.
I meant for the remainder of the season. He seems to be developing a good partnership with Bruno, Pogba coming back shouldn't disrupt that. He must earn his place, at the moment everyone is playing better and chemistry is on the rise.

romufc

Put Pogba in that Manchester City team coach by Guardiola and i am quite sure his stats will improve. Pogba got those stats in a Mourinho team while KdB plays in a Guardiola team.... that is quite a different situation.
He wouldnt hack Pep's style of play.

Stadjer

I meant for the remainder of the season. He seems to be developing a good partnership with Bruno, Pogba coming back shouldn't disrupt that. He must earn his place, at the moment everyone is playing better and chemistry is on the rise.
Why wouldnt Pogba be able to develop a good partnership with Bruno? Good players usually play better together and since Pogba is about 10 times the player Mata is, it shouldnt be a problem for Pogba and Bruno to develop any kind of partnership on the field.

Pogba will be back in the team when he is fit. He is way better than any other midfielder in the squad. Only Bruno can be compared to Pogba.

He wouldnt hack Pep's style of play.
That was said of Sterling too... Pretty sure Pep could make effective use of Pogba.