Pogba Future

Would you accept Dybala and Sandro for Pogba?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janson

Or its just not binary, some people were fans of the club and defended Pogba because they saw him as essential to the clubs success and Jose non essential.

Also sometimes people just have differing opinions of situations, but it seems when people disagree these days they put others in a box "Martial fan over the club or Martial FC" or "Jose fan over the club" or "Pogba fan over the club"

Pretty much this. It's rather silly too.
I didn't mean that everyone who defended Pogba is a fan of his first, just that there are some who are. And that's a fact because there are those who are openly admitting it. There are obviously also those who are keeping it secret, because it doesn't tend to go well with the fans of the club. His fans are always gonna be on his side of course, so that's contributing to how much people have defended him, even when it's obvious to others what he has done wrong. If someone is defending him no matter what, then I reserve my right to assume that they are biased. That's just how I see it.

Having said that. If you are a player fan who follows him from club to club, you also become a fan of the team he currently plays in. So you are obviously going to want what's best for the team anyway. But like I said, sometimes you can tell that someone is going overboard to defend a player, and that's hard to understand for someone who is a fan of the club first.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I didn't mean that everyone who defended Pogba is a fan of his first, just that there are some who are. And that's a fact because there are those who are openly admitting it. There are obviously also those who are keeping it secret, because it doesn't tend to go well with the fans of the club. His fans are always gonna be on his side of course, so that's contributing to how much people have defended him, even when it's obvious to others what he has done wrong. If someone is defending him no matter what, then I reserve my right to assume that they are biased. That's just how I see it.

Having said that. If you are a player fan who follows him from club to club, you also become a fan of the team he currently plays in. So you are obviously going to want what's best for the team anyway. But like I said, sometimes you can tell that someone is going overboard to defend a player, and that's hard to understand for someone who is a fan of the club first.
I was disagreeing with this and saying that more than likely they just see things differently than you.

el3mel

The difference between a player who got a new contract not long ago and a player who was benched and boeed at that time.

Pogba's reponse to the rumors is pretty classy tbf.
You mean the response of a player playing for a club who preferred him over the manager and sacked this manager for him thus have 100% support at the club right? In comparison to a player who has been played out of his position the entire season under a manager that no one knows his future at the club.

Kante response is class. Pogba response is terrible and opening the door for the media to add more fuel to the fire.

People were claiming all players do the same quotes as Paul but now as it was proven wrong and we saw how the response should be in such situations, it's now to find reasons for such quotes?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You jest but if you switch the answers I'm pretty sure that we would be suffering a thread about Pogba being all business while Kanté openly express his happiness at the club.
Always from the same people.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Or its just not binary, some people were fans of the club and defended Pogba because they saw him as essential to the clubs success and Jose non essential.

Also sometimes people just have differing opinions of situations, but it seems when people disagree these days they put others in a box "Martial fan over the club or Martial FC" or "Jose fan over the club" or "Pogba fan over the club"

Pretty much this. It's rather silly too.
True.

Personally speaking, I feel that's how Pogba is. I have much more affection and romantic notions for players like Keane, Rio, Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Eric, Becks, McClair, Pallister, Vidic, Evra, Charlton, Robson, etc because they were very much Manchester United through and through. They gave everything to the club and whilst people like Keane can be sometimes scathing in their words, he has said United are his club and his dedication and service to the club can never be questioned.

Pogba, I don't dislike and I want him to be a main man in our future success. However, his inconsistency frustrates me and the fact he was willing to go to City and is openly flirting with Madrid, whilst not giving us a season of football he is capable of, is something that annoys me

jem

Kante is loved by the fans and highly rated by the board. They just give him a massive contract at the start of the season.

Pogba has the same contract since 3 years and 3 months ago he was heavily booed at Old Trafford.

And the club backed a manager that threw him under the bus. They didn't fired Mourinho because of Pogba but because they were scared to miss a top 4 spot.
Which is the correct reason to fire a manager. The day we start firing managers because one player doesn't get along with them is the day the Raiola's of the world have truly won.

Judas

Open to offers
True.

Personally speaking, I feel that's how Pogba is. I have much more affection and romantic notions for players like Keane, Rio, Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Eric, Becks, McClair, Pallister, Vidic, Evra, Charlton, Robson, etc because they were very much Manchester United through and through. They gave everything to the club and whilst people like Keane can be sometimes scathing in their words, he has said United are his club and his dedication and service to the club can never be questioned.

Pogba, I don't dislike and I want him to be a main man in our future success. However, his inconsistency frustrates me and the fact he was willing to go to City and is openly flirting with Madrid, whilst not giving us a season of football he is capable of, is something that annoys me
Vidic dipped out as soon as Moyes came in and things were ropey. Do you expect players to not be "Utd through and through" when the club is very successful and winning everything? I'm not surprised they were loyal. Of course I'm being a bit tongue in cheek.

I still don't believe he was willing to go to City either, think thats his agent. So the way you talk about it like its fact is odd.

Last edited:

.Rossi

I still don't believe he was willing to go to City either, think thats his agent. So the way you talk about it like its fact is odd.
Enough people here accuse our record goalscorer of wanting to go to City...The way they talk about it, like it was a fact is odd :smirk:

He was offered to City. He could easily have told his agent not to do that. Raiola works for Pogba, not the other way round

rotherham_red

Enough people here accuse our record goalscorer of wanting to go to City...The way they talk about it, like it was a fact is odd :smirk:

He was offered to City. He could easily have told his agent not to do that. Raiola works for Pogba, not the other way round
Because our record goal scorer released a statement confirming it at the time... The day Pogba does that, then by all means accuse him of treason, or whatever.

Zlatattack

I suspect if we don't sign some decent players and challenge for the title in the 19/20 season, he'll be off at the end of it. He'll be 27 at the end of the next season, He wants to be known as a top player, somewhere like Real Madrid he can easily achieve that. Seems right now we're only interested in Wengers top 4 trophy.

Judas

Open to offers

:lol: what a terrible attempt at a "got him" its a fact he wanted to go, he admitted it, Fergie admitted it, everyone knew it, it's not hearsay.

.Rossi

:lol: what a terrible attempt at a "got him" its a fact he wanted to go, he admitted it, Fergie admitted it, everyone knew it, it's not hearsay.
What a terrible attempt at a response.

I know he wanted to go but, everyone accuses him of wanting to go to City. There's no evidence of that whatsoever.
That was my point

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I hope we keep him for a couple of seasons more under OGS + hopefully much needed quality players in the positions we are lacking.

Personally I can't really fault any player for wanting to go to Madrid. We have been mediocre at best for 6 years now, and are in yet another transistion phase. There is really nothing we can offer that Madrid can't. They can offer just as much money, marketing exposure, they are the most succesfull club in world, much better city and weather and this year asid, they have a great shot at the league and CL every year.

True this year they are mediocre like us, but they have a board that demands trophies every season our board hasn't quite shown that ambition. If De Gea had went to Madrid we would probably have 3 CL's right now, and If Pogba had stayed at juventus he would have several league titles and a CL final at least.

We can't really expect the best players not to be ambitious. As long as our club is not flexing our muscles and proving we mean business like City and Barcelona are, we can't really expect our best players to hang around to win the top 4 trophy.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Personally I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to move on.
Same. Didn't have any problems when Ronaldo was sold. Don't want to be here? Good riddance.

Not saying Pogba wants to go or anything, but if he ever does, not the end of the world.

Last edited:

Drz

I think P² is a special type of player, but if he wants to leave I won't be massively disappointed.
I generally don't see the point of keeping hold of players whose heart is not in it, particularly the flair ones.
We are not a small-time club that we will come accross talented players once every two-decades or so, if he wants to leave or is not committed to the cause, put him on the market and milk it to the max.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jeez. So much overreaction here over the kind of statement every player makes. Personally, I'm not too fussed about whether he stays or goes as I don't think he's the best CM in the world or the PL as some here do. He's a fantastic player but he ain't no Iniesta or Zidane.

As for the question of him actually leaving, I don't think Real can afford to buy him. We could ask for crazy money and Real have a massive rebuilding job to do, they can't spend 150-170 million on a CM when they need to sign at least 2 forwards.

Gehrman

Jeez. So much overreaction here over the kind of statement every player makes. Personally, I'm not too fussed about whether he stays or goes as I don't think he's the best CM in the world or the PL as some here do. He's a fantastic player but he ain't no Iniesta or Zidane.

As for the question of him actually leaving, I don't think Real can afford to buy him. We could ask for crazy money and Real have a massive rebuilding job to do, they can't spend 150-170 million on a CM when they need to sign at least 2 forwards.
He lacks consistenty, but his overall goal and assist output under OGS has been amazing. I don't really know who could replace him and that's available.

roonster09

Scout
True.

Yeah United through and through.

Roy Keane has refused Manchester United's first offer of an extended contract and has repeated his threat to leave unless the club meets his terms.

The Republic of Ireland midfielder insists he is not being greedy and that he just wants what he feels he is worth in today's market.

"If the new contract is not right then I won't sign it. I won't undersell myself. I would think that this is my last big contract so it has got to be right," he said.

"I turned down the first offer a few weeks ago because it wasn't right. I felt we were quite a bit apart and so the ball is now in the club's court.

"Even though I am United's captain, have moved into a new house and my family are settled here, I won't sign a deal I am not happy with.

"If it isn't sorted out I will have to look at the bigger picture and I would be prepared to go. That's not a threat, that's just life.

"By saying that I am not trying to hold the club to ransom. I'm not arrogant enough or stupid enough to think that Manchester United will break the bank to keep me.

"I know they have their limits. The club won't just give me something if it is not right for them as well."
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/keane-refuses-united-offer-1.206817

Ferguson has already taken away the vice-captaincy from Ferdinand and the United manager scarcely concealed his irritation that several months of protracted negotiations appeared to have reached an impasse, "creating speculation and an unnecessary agenda that we do not want".

He said: "We want Rio to sign now because it will put the whole matter to rest. We want to be ready for our Champions League qualifiers next month with everyone at the club remaining here. That can be solidified by Rio signing his contract."

Ferguson usually regards the finer details of player contracts as confidential, and it is a measure of his annoyance with Ferdinand that he has been willing to offer thinly veiled criticisms of the defender ever since he was pictured on two dinner dates with Chelsea's chief executive Peter Kenyon in London in April.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/jul/14/newsstory.sport2

manunited1919

Pogba is just posturing for a new contract. We should give it to him too. I would rather the club gave massive wages to PP than to DDG, as PP we can build our team around him.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He lacks consistenty, but his overall goal and assist output under OGS has been amazing. I don't really know who could replace him and that's available.
Why do we need to replace him directly? I mean why do we need a CM in his mould wen plenty of other successful teams have CMs that play nothing like Pobga. We simply change the system. We could a proper #10 for example and a new CM like Neves for someone of that kind. We don't have to exactly replace him like for like if we leaves.

Zlatattack

Same. Didn't have any problems when Ronaldo is sold. Don't want to be here? Good riddance.

Not saying Pogba wants to go or anything, but if he ever does, not the end of the world.
Yeah, it's a reality we have to face. Right now, and ever since Sir Alex left, we're not a top tier club anymore in terms of competitiveness on the pitch. Players who are amongst the very best (we only have 2, DDG and Pogba), might not want to stick around at their peak if we don't have the ambition to match their abilities and potential.

Ronaldo was different because at the time we were a top club and it felt like he was moving to a direct rival for the CL. Still didn't begrudge him for the move, what was annoying was the replacements.

This summer is going to be huge for us. If we don't make really big moves - i mean silly oil money, i don't expect to have Dave or Pogba in our starting XI in 2020/21.

Gehrman

I think it's fair that players like Keane demand, what they think they are worth. Unfortunately the Sanchez issue has created a situation, we our best players obviously want to be paid the same or more than a player who has brought nothing to the team, ever.

.Rossi

roonster09

Scout
I think it's fair that players like Keane demand, what they think they are worth. Unfortunately the Sanchez issue has created a situation, we our best players obviously want to be paid the same or more than a player who has brought nothing to the team, ever.
Threatening to leave, wanting to leave, jumping the ship is nothing new is all I have to say.

roonster09

Scout
Fergie said Keane was right to do that and it benefitted Fergie too in the transfer market.

Doesn't go with the theme of your post though obviously.
Eh? So Ferdinand meeting Chelsea officials before extending contract, Vidic signing for other club when we were at our lowest point makes them United through and through?

You can color it however you want to, they all stayed as ManUtd was winning shit loads of trophies. Moment we stopped winning Vidic jumped the ship, moment we looked like we won't Rio started to talk to Chelsea. Moment when player wasn't getting bigger contract, he openly said he will leave the club.

Doesn't make them United through and through. That's Neville, Scholes, Giggs who stayed all their life at this club even when Scholes and Giggs had numerous offers from big Italian clubs.

What Pogba did or is doing is noting new, he is just following what our legends did back in their day.

roonster09

Scout
And what is your point of view when players want to leave or talk about leaving, Roonster?
If they want to leave, they should leave and free to do so as long as we get good offer to sign replacements.

Fans don't think a second to dump on average players, want them out so for me there is no loyalty in football. It's just fans being hypocrites. I however have a problem with players running down contract and leave for nothing as it's just a piss take on the club that invested lot of money on the player.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah United through and through.
Tbf, that was brutally honest answer from Keane. Can only respect that.

Ferdinand was a bit different though.

Ronaldo was different because at the time we were a top club and it felt like he was moving to a direct rival for the CL. Still didn't begrudge him for the move, what was annoying was the replacements.
It was obvious he just wants out, so nothing we could do about it. I also didn't want the whole thing to drag further through the newspapers and to read about his desire to play there as I got the feeling it could turn ugly. So in a way, I was glad it was over.

And agree, replacements were really what was frustratrating in the whole thing

roonster09

Scout
Tbf, that was brutally honest answer from Keane. Can only respect that.

Ferdinand was a bit different though.
Well fans don't like brutally honest answers from players.

.Rossi

Eh? So Ferdinand meeting Chelsea officials before extending contract, Vidic signing for other club when we were at our lowest point makes them United through and through?

You can color it however you want to, they all stayed as ManUtd was winning shit loads of trophies. Moment we stopped winning Vidic jumped the ship, moment we looked like we won't Rio started to talk to Chelsea. Moment when player wasn't getting bigger contract, he openly said he will leave the club.

Doesn't make them United through and through. That's Neville, Scholes, Giggs who stayed all their life at this club even when Scholes and Giggs had numerous offers from big Italian clubs.

What Pogba did or is doing is noting new, he is just following what our legends did back in their day.
Vidic needed to go. He was finished. Both parties got the best out of that one.
As for Rio, yep.

Keane's case was different at the time. A wage cap handicapped us in the transfer market and Keane, obviously for his own good, broke that. It benefitted the club and Fergie at the time. Fergie was fully behind him on that, both for their own gain obviously

theREDMAN

I personally feel Pogba has a right to go where he wants and gets no respect for the fact that he chose to come back here OVER Madrid the first time. I mean the guy dealt with all sorts of crap from the bus driver, half of the fans till give the guy stick when he is obviously one of the best midfielders in the game, and on top of that he doesn’t get in any trouble off the pitch. He doesn’t always perform at a 10 out of 10 but over the last month with all of the injuries, he has been playing out of position again under Ollie and he has been giving crazy effort (not counting the Wolves game where we were all shocking to be fair). Guys like Pogba and DDG, who are some of the top in their positions in the world, need to be challenging for titles and the UCL. Our board needs to match that ambition and stop running our great club like it is more of an investment and a business than it is a football club. If we do not make top 4 and we are not challenging next year, players should leave. We have tons of fans who love to go around shouting we are the “biggest club in the world” when that simply is not the case anymore. We are still the biggest brand, but not club. Hope with Ole and a director of football, we can get back to the United we all want to see again.

theREDMAN

Because City, who pay oil money wages to their players, are the defending English champions en route to an unprecedented quadruple under the greatest manager in the world right now.
Exactly. At the end of the day, all of the guys are rich. Most of them grow up dreaming of WINNING things, not surviving top 4 scraps. The top players need to have assurances the club wants to win more than it does want to make money and brand itself.

bucky

The club should be prepared for his departure. I want him to stay and I think he's going to, but the longer we aren't competing the way we should be competing, the less we can blame players for wanting to move on. We should have have contingency plans in case either of de Gea or Pogba leave. They are our best players, but they shouldn't be irreplaceable.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Well fans don't like brutally honest answers from players.
That's very true. Wherever you stand on the debate it is an unavoidable fact fan-bases don't like hearing bad things about their club and will turn mental somersaults to massage the narrative in their minds.

I find Pogba's comments mildly irritating, in that I'd obviously prefer our best players to be saying 'everything is awesome, 5 more years!', but his words are pretty much typical of what comes out of International camps, when the media are desperate for any lines on the big clubs.

Gehrman

Why do we need to replace him directly? I mean why do we need a CM in his mould wen plenty of other successful teams have CMs that play nothing like Pobga. We simply change the system. We could a proper #10 for example and a new CM like Neves for someone of that kind. We don't have to exactly replace him like for like if we leaves.
I guess we don't, but ever since we sold Ronaldo and lost Tevez, we have mainly been replacing our best players with worse or mediocre ones, which is one the reasons we have been in such a mess since Fergie left. We replaced ferdinand and vidic with players like Smalling, Phil Jones, Blind, and Rojo. We replaced Rafael, with darmian. We replaced Ronaldo and Tevez with Valencia and Michael Owen. We replaced players like Scholes with Tom Cleverly and Schneiderlin and Herrera. Nani with Depay. Rooney and Rvp with Lukkau and Rashford and Martial.

Paul Pogba is our only outfield galactico, who though inconsistent has proven to be unplayable and world class, when he is able to turn it on. I doubt we'd be able to replace his creativity and it there is also a loss of prestige with losing our biggest stars.

We are in danger of turning into Arsenal. Well actually we are no better than Arsenal at the moment, but a club of our stature and wealth should have team of superstars and quality players. Not lose them all to Madrid or PSG.

rotherham_red

:D

Rooney never said he wanted to play for City
Rooney said he wanted to leave - he also outright questioned the ambition of Sir Alex fecking Ferguson, and United as a footballing institution in his statement. Has Pogba done likewise? The most he did was say that he was unhappy (which, a blind man could see was because of Jose)

If anything, the fact he chose to come back when we were at one of our lowest post-SAF ebbs gives him some credit in my eyes. He could easily have stayed at Juve if he wanted, and actually challenged for the Champions League in a team which reached the final only a couple of years prior and were continually at the Quarter, and Semi-Finals in the years since.