Pogba on the differences between Ole & Mourinho

Abhinav

Have people watched the video or are they reacting to only the transcript? After watching it I can't really see how Pogba has hit back at Jose. He was quite calm and light hearted while making his point. Don't think it's such a big deal except it gives Jose ammunition to start a feud with Paul Pogba.

ColvaleGoa

Anyone waiting for Souness's reaction to this.??

This is going to be blown out of epic proportions.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I remember reading that Bill Shankly was the same but then that was a long time ago. Probably shouldn't manage in the style of someone from 60-odd years ago.
Toni Schumacher recounts how Rinus Michels systematically grinded, insulted and denigrated Köln players, shouting stuff like "idiots", "zeros", "amateurs" at them while they had to run, run, run in training :lol:

AgentSmith

I think Pogba encapsulates the newer style of modern footballer that Mourinho just cannot relate to anymore. Then when you combine that personal incompatibility with the style of player Pogba is they were probably always on a collision course. I’m just glad Paul outlasted The Outdated One.

The way that Ole has handled the Pogba (and Raiola) situation this year has been quite something when you consider that Mourinho would’ve happily sacrificed the season and essentially burned the club to the ground to get his own back at the pair of them if he was still in charge. Instead Ole deftly deflected attention away from the nadir of the season (Leipzig away) to ensure Pogba always had a route back to the starting XI, which is paying massive dividends now.

The second half of the Spurs game was probably the most satisfying 45 minutes of football I can think of in recent memory. A complete rejection of Mourinho’s tactical approach and a comprehensive demonstration of the progress we’ve made as a club under Ole in his absence.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Have people watched the video or are they reacting to only the transcript? After watching it I can't really see how Pogba has hit back at Jose. He was quite calm and light hearted while making his point. Don't think it's such a big deal except it gives Jose ammunition to start a feud with Paul Pogba.
That's the problem these days. Things are blown out of proportion

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This isn’t even that bad in relation to Mourinho. There’s a story that he told the Madrid players to throw the second leg against Barcelona in the CL semi final in 2011 so he could blame the ref for them losing the first leg. Apparently that was what really made Casillas not be able to stand him anymore.
Come on, you can't possibly think he told his players to throw a Champions League semi final.

That's a preposterous story.

bsCallout

It’s definitely both. We all know Pogba’s reaction to THAT Blackburn game where Fergie didn’t start him.
A player thinking he's more deserving of his chance in the first team isn't really going to cause huge friction. Fergie won't have like how Raiola got involved but there will almost certainly be nothing but respect between them. Fergie knew he was good, just didn't trust him at that stage.

Gaussian

Come on, you can't possibly think he told his players to throw a Champions League semi final.

That's a preposterous story.
Not only will I believe it. If someone comes up with irrefutable evidence to the contrary I will still believe it. Mostly for spite.

The Urban Goose

However - this interview tells me Pogba might be on his way out at United, I can't see him having the balls to do this otherwise since this is absolutely not the done thing if you're a United player (and I can't see Ole being thrilled about it either)
Yep, same as with that Amazon documentary.

OmarUnited4ever

I do wish for his career sake he waited till he was retired to be honest. It's generally a good rule not to burn bridges (sometimes even in retirement), as I think it was Ruud that said to Rio in his interview that you ultimately cross paths with these guys in one way or another, and you don't want any lingering resentment.

I really hope he never plays some place where they get conned by Mourinho's trophy cabinet and bring him in. That would be awkward on many levels.

Also, this gives José a fight to latch on to in order to distract from the terrible job he's doing at Spurs

Even though I agree with you in principle, like dont burn bridges, dont air dirty laundry, etc... I can't help it that I want players in ManUtd who were under Mourinho to come out tell us what happened, the guy did actually treat some of em like shit, Shaw, Martial, Pogba, Fred... even Smalling who at one time was playing through pain with injections had a fractured toe and could not play with the pain anymore, Jose actually criticsed Smalling for that!! even when Smalling was actually playing through the pain, Jose has a terrible personality and is a disloyal cnut.

jackal&hyde

Fair fecks to Pogba for shooting back finally at Mourinho, Jose has never been shy of throwing his players under the bus so why shouldn't he get a bit back once in a while?

However - this interview tells me Pogba might be on his way out at United, I can't see him having the balls to do this otherwise since this is absolutely not the done thing if you're a United player (and I can't see Ole being thrilled about it either)
In comes in the context of Mourinho calling Ole a bad father and other such nonsense. If anything, this is a player defending his manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
True :lol: Not even words are needed with our body language experts.

He confirmed what all of us knew. Mourinho has difficulty in relating to modern footballers and Ole is very respected by the players. Good to hear. Now sign a new contract Paul and we can move on.
It depends on what you mean by modern players. Keep in mind that Mourinho has never lasted in a club, he is a short cycle manager, his methods don't work beyond 2 or 3 seasons. I don't think Mourinho has a problem with modern players, he has a problem with people. He is or at least used to be brilliant in that short cycle but wheels always come off when he tries to extend it.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Exactly that. He was basically triumphant that the poor performance looked to prove his decisions against some players right. Bizarre. It showed that, in his head, the priority is in media spin, narrative, and in personally coming across well, over the benefit of the team.
I also recall an instance during the Moyes season when Rooney wanted to leave and was linked to Chelsea. There were constant noises in the media about Rooney to Chelsea for 40m.

It was gameweek 3 or 4 when we played them at OT and Jose sent out a team without a striker! It was some german winger playing as CF. It was a blatant tactic to unsettle Rooney and basically saying "Look, the CF spot is yours".

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This isn’t even that bad in relation to Mourinho. There’s a story that he told the Madrid players to throw the second leg against Barcelona in the CL semi final in 2011 so he could blame the ref for them losing the first leg. Apparently that was what really made Casillas not be able to stand him anymore.
Being critical of sources, and critical of what information you relay is one of the best methods we have of combating "fake news" and baseless rumours from finding a cult of believers. Like this story, it should never have been retold.

If this was true, one of the men in the dressing room would have said something after they retired. They have not, so this is not true.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
"Maybe [Solskjaer's methods work] because he is a bit closer to the people," the World Cup winner explained.

"Every coach has their own way to coach and deal with players, and as a player you have to adapt. Sometimes it doesn't suit you and sometimes it does.

"Ole has helped Luke a lot, it was a difficult season with Luke and Mourinho, and he has proved he has the quality he always had and the trust of the manager."

Djemba-Djemba

In comes in the context of Mourinho calling Ole a bad father and other such nonsense. If anything, this is a player defending his manager.
One of the first things Mourinho said after the game last week was Pogba should have been sent off which was complete nonsense.

I've often been very critical of Pogba during his time here but I see no issue with this to be honest.

More people need to point out what a cnut Mourinho is.

Zoo

Pogba would probably have not even gone there if it wasn’t for Mourinho trying to deflect and create headlines last week about him deserving a red card, when almost everyone agrees it wasn’t.

Then main thing is that Pogba looks happy which hopefully means he’ll be staying. Mourinho is a dinosaur.

jackal&hyde

It depends on what you mean by modern players. Keep in mind that Mourinho has never lasted in a club, he is a short cycle manager, his methods don't work beyond 2 or 3 seasons. I don't think Mourinho has a problem with modern players, he has a problem with people. He is or at least used to be brilliant in that short cycle but wheels always come off when he tries to extend it.
Yes, you are probably right. I would hate to work for a person like that never knowing when he is about to throw you under just to make himself look good. He is a megalomaniac arse.

Pace Abuser

Aren't these interviews set up between the club and the media? This isn't some behind the back stuff. There's a massive United emblem behind him and he's wearing club clothing.
Why would Ole be unhappy with what the United media team are themselves sanctioning?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I also recall an instance during the Moyes season when Rooney wanted to leave and was linked to Chelsea. There were constant noises in the media about Rooney to Chelsea for 40m.

It was gameweek 3 or 4 when we played them at OT and Jose sent out a team without a striker! It was some german winger playing as CF. It was a blatant tactic to unsettle Rooney and basically saying "Look, the CF spot is yours".
Schürrle, surely :lol:
I think I saw that game..

To be fair, playing without a CF in a big away game might just as well just have been a tactical decision. After all, Mourino's approach to duels with league competitors has always been, 0-0 and don't lose away, don't lose and maybe try to win at home.

RUCK4444

You love to see it :devil:

Usually I wouldn't like this sort of thing but the way Mourinho handled himself here and the treatment of the players and his general miserable demeanour deserves every word of this interview and much more imo.

Mourinho is the first person to criticise every man and his dog. About time he had some thrown back at him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Aren't these interviews set up between the club and the media? This isn't some behind the back stuff. There's a massive United emblem behind him and he's wearing club clothing.
Why would Ole be unhappy with what the United media team are themselves sanctioning?
My limited knowledge of Ole's personality makes me think that he will try to wind up Pogba by not talking to him for a few days. Ole seems to be a joker.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The club would have sanctioned the interview. Those worried about Ole not liking it are wrong. He probably does not care.
This is a manager that called a player a 'virus' and some here are discussing how it looks on Pogba. Give me a break.
Remember Ogden saying last year that Mourinho would often bring up players (unprovoked by the journalists) just to criticize them, on or off the record. For example, the Martial incident. The journos didn't know he went to France without permission so they did not ask. It was Mourinho that brought it up.

RUCK4444

The club would have sanctioned the interview. Those worried about Ole not liking it are wrong. He probably does not care.
This is a manager that called a player a 'virus' and some here are discussing how it looks on Pogba. Give me a break.
Remember Ogden saying last year that Mourinho would often bring up players (unprovoked by the journalists) just to criticize them, on or off the record. For example, the Martial incident. The journos didn't know he went to France without permission so they did not ask. It was Mourinho that brought it up.
Yup, egotistical arsewipe. I remember Rooney echoing exactly what Pogba was saying in this interview on Sky.

He basically treats the players like shite and throws them one at a time under the bus in front of the media. Pathetic display of leadership in every sense of the word.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was a good interview, good that Pogba spoke about Jose's post match comments, everyone knows why he does that but most professionals don't talk about the intentions.

Also he didn't bring in Shaw randomly, he was asked about Shaw. He was just answering to the point.

youngrell

No big fuss. If it was that controversial, there's no way the club sign off on it going on air.

Also, feck Mourinho.

Lewnited

This is what I got from it as well. Everything that Pogba says here is prefaced with the context of Mourinho's rant about Ole being a bad father. Comes across as him backing Ole against Mourinho's stupid comments more than anything.

KeanoMagicHat

Pogba's just right. Look at how he's treating Dele Alli now. Has treated Bale at times. At United, look how he treated Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Pogba. At Chelsea, look how he treated De Bruyne, Mata etc.

Ole has not really ruled out any player in the squad unfairly. Has given everyone a chance to use their talents. Imagine Dele Alli was in the United squad. There is no chance that Ole would publicly criticise a player, then banish a player with talent from the squad. He'd try to understand what was going up with him and get the best out of him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Astonishing, even though I am loving it, I can’t believe a United player will so publicly to criticize a former manager!
Oh come on. I want Pogba gone but Mourinho had been rude towards our players. Respect come both ways and Mou was the first to trespass that line. He deserves such abuse

justsomebloke

Yes, you are probably right. I would hate to work for a person like that never knowing when he is about to throw you under just to make himself look good. He is a megalomaniac arse.
I think it's worth reflecting on how he came into top football. He was Bobby Robsons interpreter at Porto, and apparently they hit it off and Robson valued Mourinho's input, and subsequently got him his first job as a coach. Just imagine that situation. You're an intelligent and fiercely ambitious outsider, and this world famous coach seeks your opinions and respects you. And one of the chief things you've got going for you is that you're not shaped by the dressing room community or by having been a top player for a decade, you're independent and see things from the outside. Things are visible to you that others miss, you can look at things differently, and doing so brings you incredible advancement. As you rise through the coaching ranks, you keep grappling with the problems that confronts every coach and every team, and you find innovative solutions to them, because the way your mind works is that you never ever go to other people for that, you do it yourself. And the results are amazing. You're famous, applauded.

And then you've been through it all, you stop looking for answers, and codify those you already have into seven principles. And you stop adapting. And you never forget that the reason you got there was that you always figured things out for yourself, followed your own head. No one handed anything to you. No one gave you the experience. You took nothing as you found it. You don't ask people, you tell them. And your job is to figure what's the right thing to do, and then tell people to do it. Only by now, you're no longer an inedependent-minded innovator, but a reclusive, ego-driven defender of your own orthodoxy in the form of those seven miserable principles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pogba's just right. Look at how he's treating Dele Alli now. Has treated Bale at times. At United, look how he treated Mkhitaryan, Shaw, Pogba. At Chelsea, look how he treated De Bruyne, Mata etc.

Ole has not really ruled out any player in the squad unfairly. Has given everyone a chance to use their talents. Imagine Dele Alli was in the United squad. There is no chance that Ole would publicly criticise a player, then banish a player with talent from the squad. He'd try to understand what was going up with him and get the best out of him.
These are all the signs of a manager whose finished. Once their magic is gone they start shifting the blame over the players and live in the past. Sacchi, Capello and Clough did pretty much the same thing

Rolaholic

Quite glad to see that miserable feck get called out by a former player instead of just a journo or pundit, since that's gonna sting him badly.

With the amount of negativity and disrespect he's dished out publicly at everyone from whole clubs, players, coaches, reporters etc over the years, it really couldn't happen to a nicer bloke...

Seeing as he only calls him Mourinho, do you have something against names in general? As a concept?
:lol: :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

You sure it wasn't Jose just being a coward trying not to lose? :lol:

Interesting theory though. Wouldn't put it past Jose.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Danny Rose said the samething in the Spurs documentary, Jose doesn't know how to communicate with people.
He speaks 5-6 languages and worked as a translator yet neglected the skill of communication.

I think people neglect it as a skill as its not something you can write on a CV

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Well that was spicy. I enjoyed the comment about people who's left out of the squad not being forgotten under the current coaching staff.

jackal&hyde

I think it's worth reflecting on how he came into top football. He was Bobby Robsons interpreter at Porto, and apparently they hit it off and Robson valued Mourinho's input, and subsequently got him his first job as a coach. Just imagine that situation. You're an intelligent and fiercely ambitious outsider, and this world famous coach seeks your opinions and respects you. And one of the chief things you've got going for you is that you're not shaped by the dressing room community or by having been a top player for a decade, you're independent and see things from the outside. Things are visible to you that others miss, you can look at things differently, and doing so brings you incredible advancement. As you rise through the coaching ranks, you keep grappling with the problems that confronts every coach and every team, and you find innovative solutions to them, because the way your mind works is that you never ever go to other people for that, you do it yourself. And the results are amazing. You're famous, applauded.

And then you've been through it all, you stop looking for answers, and codify those you already have into seven principles. And you stop adapting. And you never forget that the reason you got there was that you always figured things out for yourself, followed your own head. No one handed anything to you. No one gave you the experience. You took nothing as you found it. You don't ask people, you tell them. And your job is to figure what's the right thing to do, and then tell people to do it. Only by now, you're no longer an inedependent-minded innovator, but a reclusive, ego-driven defender of your own orthodoxy in the form of those seven miserable principles.
Great post!