Pogba out for 4 to 6 weeks | No Megathreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

United_We_Stand

So all we know about the situation is what Duncan Castles said in his piece on the Times
Initial MRI scans indicate a grade three tear with potential tendon damage.

I'm not an orthopedic surgeon or a physiotherapist, but according to most sources, a grade 3 hamstring strain will take longer than the 5 weeks quoted by @Bestietom

Return to play: This can occur anywhere between 3 weeks and 6 months.
Less than 5 weeks are required before return to play for patients with (1) superficial muscle injury or (2) muscle injury that involves a small cross-section of muscle.
So according to medscape, only minor injuries will recover less than 5 weeks after the injury.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307765-treatment

As a general rule, Grade 1 hamstring strains should be rested from sporting activity for about three weeks and Grade 2 injuries for a minimum of four to eight weeks. In the case of a complete rupture (Grade 3 strain), the muscle may have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation to follow will take about three months
According to Sports Medicine Australia
http://sma.org.au/resources-advice/injury-fact-sheets/hamstring-strain/

The recovery time for a grade 1 hamstring strain will take 1-2 weeks, a grade 2 strain will likely take 4-5 weeks, and a complete rupture can take 3 months
According to some local physio clinic in Kensington, London
https://www.kenphysio.com/hamstring/hamstring-strain/

Grade 1 Hamstring Strain
Recovery time: 1-3 weeks

Grade 2 Hamstring Strain
Recovery time: 4-8 weeks

Grade 3 Hamstring Strain
Recovery time: 3 to 6 months. These may also require surgery.
According to another clinic in Dublin, Ireland
http://www.clickclinic.ie/blog/hamstring-strains

I don't think there is one-size-fits-all rule. Even if Dunacn Castles is to be believed, I don't think the injury was as bad as Dembele's strain, or it would have required surgery. So my guess/hope it's a "borderline grade 3".
Let's just hope he'll be fit in 6 weeks (which seems the best we can hope for at this moment):nervous:

RuudTom83

Lakaku should be coming off more, and should be rested for the cup games when possible.

Pogba can be somewhat coveted by the other players but Lukaku is not.

Get well soon Paul :)

Bestietom

So all we know about the situation is what Duncan Castles said in his piece on the Times

I'm not an orthopedic surgeon or a physiotherapist, but according to most sources, a grade 3 hamstring strain will take longer than the 5 weeks quoted by @Bestietom

So according to medscape, only minor injuries will recover less than 5 weeks after the injury.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/307765-treatment

According to Sports Medicine Australia
http://sma.org.au/resources-advice/injury-fact-sheets/hamstring-strain/

According to some local physio clinic in Kensington, London
https://www.kenphysio.com/hamstring/hamstring-strain/

According to another clinic in Dublin, Ireland
http://www.clickclinic.ie/blog/hamstring-strains

I don't think there is one-size-fits-all rule. Even if Dunacn Castles is to be believed, I don't think the injury was as bad as Dembele's strain, or it would have required surgery. So my guess/hope it's a "borderline grade 3".
Let's just hope he'll be fit in 6 weeks (which seems the best we can hope for at this moment):nervous:
Think we are all jumping to conclusions here. We have all heard the saying "Doctors Differ Patients Die" but this whole saga has not been confirmed as yet. Pogba has another scan today to see the true damage to his hamstring/muscle, and then we will know for sure.

Clinics and Physios all have different views on different injuries. It is part of their profession to make sure you are completely healed before you go back into sport, hence there are some exagerations of time periods. If it was a very bad Tear ( grade 3) a stretcher would have been called for as he would not be able to walk/stand. We should know for sure after today's scan.

But also remember that Internationals are forthcoming, and clubs will want to keep their players at home.???

Last edited:

Pavl3n

Think we are all jumping to conclusions here. We have all heard the saying "Doctors Differ Patients Die" but this whole saga has not been confirmed as yet. Pogba has another scan today to see the true damage to his hamstring/muscle, and then we will know for sure.

Clinics and Physios all have different views on different injuries. It is part of their profession to make sure you are completely healed before you go back into sport, hence there are some exagerations of time periods. If it was a very bad Tear ( grade 3) a stretcher would have been called for as he would not be able to walk/stand. We should know for sure after today's scan.

But also remember that Internationals are forthcoming, and clubs will want to keep their players at home.???
Has the club announced anything on update? I haven't seen anything. I suppose if it was scheduled for today, by now we should probably know by now.

podurban2

Too early to say, but looking back this could cost us the league. Such a shame, and typical our luck with injuries (although they have been a bit better since Jose arrived).

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Too early to say, but looking back this could cost us the league. Such a shame, and typical our luck with injuries (although they have been a bit better since Jose arrived).
Hopefully not but it is sickening nonetheless. He was looking so good this season as well, incredibly annoying.

buckooo1978

still have a feeling he will make an appearance at end of September/very start of October

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I think since the injury United and Pogba know exactly when he will be back which imo is the Liverpool game. There is a bit of media bollocks and gamesmanship from us imo just for Klopp.

Jacko21

I think since the injury United and Pogba know exactly when he will be back which imo is the Liverpool game. There is a bit of media bollocks and gamesmanship from us imo just for Klopp.
Get this impression too.

el3mel

Each time I open this thread I found reports extending his absence I'm afraid the next time journalists will make him retire because of this injury. :lol:

I think he'll just miss the Liverpool game and after that he'll be fine.

Treble

So, one week is not enough to estimate the seriousness of his injury?

We need an rvn

not expecting the lad to be at home being massaged / physiotherapy 24/7 etc but unless that hamstring is not even close to being as bad as first feared it's a stupid thing to do. Had a small tear in my hamstring myself a few years ago that needed physio for a 6 weeks or so and I was definitely not doing that after 1 week (but then I didn't have world class stuff at my disposal either)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes I have its sore as feck.
I have too. With a relatively minor strain I could easily bop about like he is in that video a few days later. Wouldn’t be able to play a football match, mind you.

The advice from physios is listen to your body. Don’t do anything that hurts but otherwise stay as loose and active as possible. So that video is good news. It must not be a very sizeable tear.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I have too. With a relatively minor strain I could easily bop about like he is in that video a few days later. Wouldn’t be able to play a football match, mind you.

The advice from physios is listen to your body. Don’t do anything that hurts but otherwise stay as loose and active as possible. So that video is good news. It must not be a very sizeable tear.
so it is from today this video?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Pulled my hamster before. Was out for a month. Leg felt very heavy for a few days.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Paul should be sat in a darkened room watching videos of United's season in Division two slowly weeping until back to full fitness.

Fuming that the lad is smiling and jiggling about.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Pulled my hamster before. Was out for a month. Leg felt very heavy for a few days.
you got off lightly, my boy. There are Far worse cases; I heard of one heavy duty hamster puller - Yorkshire lad - reduced to shivering jelly for months on end. Both legs gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.