g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Pogba out for 4 to 6 weeks | No Megathreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

Don't think a Carrick-Matic partnership will work as they both take up similar positions. Makes more sense to Play Matic-Herrera as Herrera offers more going forward. The only time a Carrick-Matic partnership makes sense to me is if they play in the midfield in front of a back 3 with 2 very attacking wingbacks.
Why cant it work in a 2 man pivot? It surely can They both have good passing range to play balls from the deep and matic have the ability to push forward with the ball time to time and break the play in proactive way, while carrick being reactive.

Irrational.

Who's going to hit the woodwork for us now?!

On a serious note, we should have enough quality in cover to see us through the next few weeks. The big test will be Liverpool.

red4ever 79

Dont know why we are so concerned. Yes he is a top player, but a club the size of ours shouldnt be in a position where we s*it our pants when one player is injured. The guy is never rested, was the same last season, is over used plus with his playing style and long reaching for the ball it is inevitable this type of injury occurrs. Herrera will step in and step up

Reiver

The amount of optimism on here has made me feel a bit better about Pogba's absence.

However, I remember how poor we were towards the end of last season without him. We defended well but struggled to link midfield to attack. Pog had been criticised a lot but it was only after he had gone that we realised his worth to the team

I agree that a club of our size should have a capable replacement. I'm just not entirely convinced we do.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The amount of optimism on here has made me feel a bit better about Pogba's absence.

However, I remember how poor we were towards the end of last season without him. We defended well but struggled to link midfield to attack. Pog had been criticised a lot but it was only after he had gone that we realised his worth to the team

I agree that a club of our size should have a capable replacement. I'm just not entirely convinced we do.
We created a decent amount against Basel without him. Nothing too fancy, but Young to Fellaini/Lukaku and grind out a few 1-0s might have to do. I'd be more than fine with it.

adamwest

I think Matic would be the bigger loss right now. Herrera and Fellaini will step up.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Matic is better than Herrera and Carrick at doing that. I think he'll make a difference.

kiristao

Why cant it work in a 2 man pivot? It surely can They both have good passing range to play balls from the deep and matic have the ability to push forward with the ball time to time and break the play in proactive way, while carrick being reactive.
Totally agreed with the Bold bit but that is precisely the problem for me. Both do a very similar role. I have not seen enough of Matic to know how well he could do in a more advanced role. From what I have seen of Carrick, Herrera & Matic, I think Matic is the best of the 3 in the holding role and Herrera is the best of the 3 in a more advanced role.

Janson

That def sucks but all our mids except for Herrera perhaps have been playing well so far this season, so I'm not quite as worried as I would ve been otherwise. Absence of someone that important creates opportunity for others to step up. Perhaps a good reason to be a little creative with Martial.
How?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sounds like they are just guessing about the length and severity of the injury, as they even say that the club don't know the extent of it yet, so how would The Telegraph?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He will be a big miss, hopefully Fellaini and Herrera steps up. Herrera was very creative in his game in his first season but sort of become just safe passer in the last 2 seasons, hopefully he is tasked with more attacking role if he plays.

Kapardin

Think we are lucky. All winnable fixtures without Pogba.

Herrera-Matic pivot will not work IMO. It is highly likely that Jose plays Fellaini over Herrera based on current form. I think we are going to see the following:

Against the Ev: Fellaini-Matic should do against their sluggish EL hungover attack.

Palace: Fellaini-Matic. We need goals and they will park the bus.

Southampton: Haven't been following them, so I am not sure of their threat. Away game, perhaps a three man midfield if they are anything like last season.

Burton Albion: Rest Matic. Carrick-Herrera is enough.

Moscow: Jose will adopt a must-not-lose approach. I think we may see a 3 man midfield of Matic, Fellaini and Herrera.

Hopefully Pogba comes back for Liverpool. Otherwise, we go with the 3 man midfield.

Lot of responsibility on Matic, so hope he stays fit. Herrera needs to get rid of his rustiness too.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We shouldn't get cocky about the fixures. We NEED to win them never mind should. After the stoke result, we have to get back to winning ways and to do that the defenders have to defend properly and not like drunks on a night out. A solid base will put less pressure on us but last two games we've been poor defensively.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Team sheet starts looking pretty weak again as soon as you remove a single player like this.

If the rest continue in good form we should be ok though. But so annoying to happen at this stage.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Team sheet starts looking pretty weak again as soon as you remove a single player like this.

If the rest continue in good form we should be ok though. But so annoying to happen at this stage.
No it doesn't? Matic Herrera mkhitaryan lukaku rashford mata. That's more than enough solidarity and guile even without Pogba.

kotha

As long as we don't play Carrick against Liverpool.. He would be ripped to shreds..

Herrera would get a break during the international week.. Maybe use carrick for Burton to give Matic a break..

GBBQ

I think Herrera is a pretty great option to bring in.

DavelinaJolie

Herrera may not offer the style of play that Pogba can, but he has shown the capability to play a killer pass and I don't think that should be underestimated. Also might provide a bit more steel in midfield against some sides.

I don't think it's Doom and gloom, but it is a bit of a worry for the pool game, in particular.

ZAGREB RED

It's a blow, no question, but having Herrera to come in and also other options available to reshuffle the midfield, United should be able to cope. Not ideal, but it could be worse in terms of a hamstring injury which can sometimes take a while to heal, hopefully he won't be out too long.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The only paragraph worth reading.
Indeed, we don't know the extent of the injury yet so any speculation about it is just that.

However let's speculate! Say Pogba's out for a month or so. The biggest game on the horizon is Liverpool in mid October, the others are league games against out of form opposition (although Palace could benefit from a fresh start under Roy) a cup game our kids should be competitive in and a tricky though winnable game in the CL in Moscow.

It's a concern, but Fellaini is playing about as well as he ever has at United, Matic is quality and Herrera should benefit from some serious minutes so it's not a grave concern. We have a good squad and challenging the likes of Herrera to step it up will be no bad thing for us as the season progresses.

GM K

This is really, really bad. Pogba has grown to become a very crucial component of that team. His aura, leadership, creativity, guile and physical presence are almost irreplaceable. I knew his contributions were underrated last season when he was getting the sticks. It became apparent when he got injured and we were struggling.

If the other players can really step up though, we'll be fine. Pogba's absence particularly means loss of creativity but we can cover that up with graft, proper tactics, A-level performances across the pitch and deadly finishing. Time for Herrera, Fellaini and Carrick to earn their pay.

This situation could either seal our credentials as title contenders or expose us as mere wannabes.

Infra-red

It's his creativity from midfield that we'll miss and cannot replace. A change of system beckons.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No it doesn't? Matic Herrera mkhitaryan lukaku rashford mata. That's more than enough solidarity and guile even without Pogba.
Looks a lot better with Matic in there tbf. The others, Lukaku aside, are hot and cold. But yeah, most seem to be performing well at the moment so we should be alright.

Banat

A huge blow if true, especially for Liverpool game.
Guess we'll revert to our usual 'Hoof ball' football in his absence. I dread watching our games when he is not in team, he brings so much joy and fancy football, along with fantastic performances.
Especially when likely replacement will be Fellaini. To think some people here actually think he can replace our best player, regardless how effective he recently was, he is a huge downgrade on Pogba. He is lucky to be in the squad ffs :lol:
Hope we go with Herrera and Matic in midfield and give Herrera a run of games to get some form. He is fresh and will bite the chance imo.

arthurka

Pogba has been piss poor vs Liverpool in the games we have played so who knows this might be the chance for Herrera to show his big game performance. Pogba still hasn't taken any big game for us by the scruff of the neck, Herrera has. Think we will miss him more v the teams we dominate..

ants7

Of course he is a big miss but also think that it's not the end of the world. Herrera is not that prolific and does not do all the dance moves but he always gives everything. And he has proved it.

I'd be more worried if Lukaku/Rashford would be out.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Perreira would have been useful now too.
Wouldn't he just, bet he's 'kicking' himself, perfect opportunity for him and where is he? If he had only listened to his manager?

Somehow though don't think the lesson will be learned, he seems that kind of guy, destined to keep making same sort of mistakes, pity

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Dont know why we are so concerned. Yes he is a top player, but a club the size of ours shouldnt be in a position where we s*it our pants when one player is injured. The guy is never rested, was the same last season, is over used plus with his playing style and long reaching for the ball it is inevitable this type of injury occurrs. Herrera will step in and step up
Because when you lose one of your best player it's a big loss. It's the case with any team in football as you don't just have another Paul Pogba sitting on the bench to fill in, do you? We have midfielders to cover for him e.g Herrera, Fellaini, Carrick, Mata or Mkhi could be used as an #8. But not having Pogba for a month or more is a huge loss for us.

Womp

idiot
He's our best player. Take Messi out of Barca and they'll be shite, take Lewa out of Bayern and they'll struggle. Same for Dybala with Juve. No team is gonna be as comfortable without their best players. Especially when they got some tough games coming up. I'd be much more confident going into the Liverpool game with Pogba than without him, for example.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I think if you can get Matic and Herrera to work together this will suffice, and bring in Mata in the centre too as the attacking midfielder. Against some teams you might need to go more defensive perhaps then Fellaini is your man.

Status
Not open for further replies.