Pogba: "There are things I cannot say, otherwise I will get fined"

Shimo

Can understand why but, wish he hadn't at this time. Not when after the offseason/pre-season and the general mood of at least the fans till yesterday. A lot of people were happy to see him start, get the captain's arm band and then he gets a goal and puts in a great performance to top the the 3 points we got. The mood was being lifted but, then he does this. He captained on the pitch but, failed to do it off of it.

Maybe the board had spoken to Mourinho or maybe Mourinho decided he was going to play nice, some good comments leading into the game about how Pogba trained and a lot of nice things to say after the game. But, sadly now I can't see Mourinho not throwing his own riposte. Club / fans lose out if this continues.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
There was no reason to call him out in public. Mourinho basically absolved himself of all blame and said it was all Pogba's fault. You don't say that after the World Cup he just had. Just praise your player and move on. Giving him a backhanded compliment probably upset Pogba.
The same World Cup where he went missing in the group stages and started playing his best in the knockout round? That's exactly the type of shit that Jose is calling him out for.

He's one of the world's most expensive/highly paid player, it's time for him to prove it on the pitch consistently instead of just doing it when he feels like it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Coy on what United could achieve this season, Pogba knows the importance of aiming for success with the club and the responsibility that came with wearing the armband.

“I always love the club,” he said. “I love the club. I came in the academy, I grew up.

“I came from the academy, I played for the first team. For me, it was a dream come true.

“And wearing this, it’s even more because of the past, because of the players that played here, the people that have been wearing this.”
This is part of the same interview. Ofcourse the Daily Mail and Mirror don't add this in their news article to make it sound he's unhappy at United.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...a-there-are-things-i-cannot-say-37207351.html

@Damien could this be added to the OP please?

elmo

Not in public.
He has done so multiple times on Rooney alone, stop making up a myth that he didn't call them out publicly.

He rarely does so, but he does it when he feels they're not getting the message when everything's kept within the dressing room.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mou is unhappy, Pogba is unhappy, DDG has yet to sign a new contract. Anyone with decent talent is feeling that its outgrown us. Oh well, as long as we can sign sponsors we'll be happy

Classical Mechanic

Seems he wants Mou out. He sees his reduced power and influence and is trying to push things in a certain direction.

He’s right, Mou is weakened significantly, if he bodges this his big club reputation will be done.

VJ1762

Mou is unhappy, Pogba is unhappy, DDG has yet to sign a new contract. Anyone with decent talent is feeling that its outgrown us. Oh well, we still have Jones who seem happy enough.
This. We are displaying how divided we are as a club in public. I am just wondering how long we are going to keep doing this 'rebuild' charade and see other clubs leave us in the dust. I fear it might be another 20 years before we win the league again. Our fans in their 50's and 60's must be having flashbacks.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's obviously not got a great relationship with the manager. Same as Martial. People want him to "shut the feck up" but the manager creates these situations through his constant provocations and confrontational attitude.

The same World Cup where he went missing in the group stages and started playing his best in the knockout round? That's exactly the type of shit that Jose is calling him out for.

He's one of the world's most expensive/highly paid player, it's time for him to prove it on the pitch consistently instead of just doing it when he feels like it.
It's also time for Jose to prove he's good enough for United.

amolbhatia50k

He deserved to called out because he’s never really performed up to the level everybody expects out of him since he signed for us.

He has looked complacent against the smaller clubs and that’s not what anyone would expect from the club’s record signing.

Sir Alex would have called him out for this bullshit too.
Then he should call out Alexis too given he was shit last season and the worst player on the pitch in the opener, a game in which Pogba was miles better.

Maybe Ed should start calling out Jose too for the rubbish football he and the fans endure every week.

I mean if calling out publically is the norm let's be fair about it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Seems he wants Mou out. He sees his reduced power and influence and is trying to push things in a certain direction.

He’s right, Mou is weakened significantly, if he bodges this his big club reputation will be done.
Nah. PSG would still want him while in Italy he's still a legend. All he needs to do is write a good autobiography were he explains the circus he had to live with at Chelsea and United and that's it

I have doubts about our reputation though. We are underachieving + we threw LVG (the don of European football) and Mou under the bus. We might not be able to attract a top manager after that. Which is fair enough considering we might not want them after all. We want people who are grateful to Woody for the job and not highlighting his absolute incompetence every step of the way.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Again with the drivel. "Went missing?" Who created the chances in the Australia game? Take that Infowars level garbage to the Russian bot accounts.

Last edited:

beedoubleyou

Not really much here is there? Other than seven pages of nonsense jumping on a clickbate quote, most likely taken out of context.

Welcome to the internet's leading Manchester United "fans" forum.

Anyway, I need to get back to the Official App thread and complain about the club wasting time and money on developing apps which every other club has instead of signing a centre back who's name I can't spell.

VJ1762

He's obviously not got a great relationship with the manager. Same as Martial. People want him to "shut the feck up" but the manager creates these situations through his constant provocations and confrontational attitude.

Yeah, unless their differences are going to be resolved, I don't know how we going to play as a team. I feel like ever since Sir Alex retired, our club has been a reality TV show with all the melodrama and colorful characters. We are the fans who know the show is shit, but still watch it for some inexplicable reason.

MDFC Manager

Then he should call out Alexis too given he was shit last season and the worst player on the pitch in the opener, a game in which Pogba was miles better.

Maybe Ed should start calling out Jose too for the rubbish football he and the fans endure every week.

Good call :D

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

That would require Ed to actually know football.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Again with the drivel. "Went missing?" Who created the chances in the Australia game?
Pogba was still coming up with the individual bits of magic to create chances in the group stages, but his overall level of play was nowhere near as good as it was later in the tournament. He's done the same for us many times - been relatively poor throughout matches but ultimately he's so talented that we're still relying on him to create the chances.

On the one hand it's a good thing that he can still do that when not playing all that well. On the other, it does happen a bit too often that he's not playing well.

Member 90887

He doesn't give a shit about the club. Or whatever he had on his heart he would have kept it inside for the good of the group and the club, as all captains do.

What's the points of these comments apart from destabilizing the team. He may have legitimate reasons to be not happy, but why the feck is he being selfish about them?

He's playing his cards. He wants to leave and he's begining to find excuses so that he doesn't appear like the cnut he is when he was all Manchester is my home and shit.

amolbhatia50k

That would require Ed to actually know football.
Not really. You don't need to be an expert to know we've had our issues. Besides the boss at the helm knows what happening regardless of his inherent understanding of the nuances.

Christie

Pogba loves it here at United. The issue he has is purely mourinho. Nothing else. He's basically mancunian, close mates with some of the squad, paid a fortune and is adored by the fans.

Are we forgetting all the stuff he said when he came back from juve and all that pogback malarkey? It's not like Ronaldo who always wanted to go to Spain and be in that Iberian part of the world playing for his boyhood club.

I think it will ultimately mean one of them walks and I think Pogba will not be the one heading out the door.
You wish. This is the guy who left the great Froggie and the club he "loves" even though he asked him to stay and gave him everything he asked for.

The fact is he hates playing for this second rate club that couldn't challenge for anything and have to play negative defensive tactics because the team isn't good enough to win playing all out attack.

Do you seriously think he'd be happy if Mourinho is gone and we get a new attacking coach but have losing performances in the league? You know he'll kick a did again.

Either Jose should have been sacked this summer, or pogba should have been sold and mourinho backed in the market. It is so clear their relationship is absolutely knackered. I was berated last night on here for sharing Pogba's cryptic facebook post, for creating melodrama, but is it not obvious something is very wrong with the situation? Last thing we need is this right now.
Even if Jose is sacked, there is no way Pogba will stay especially if he has to go through another rebuilding phase shambles.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
So, when Mourinho talked about Pogba's performance in the world cup, many on here were of the opinion that his comments were uncalled-for (I think Jose's comments were spot on and he also praised Pogba's performance in the same line). But the same people are now defending Pogba's more venomous looking comments Infront of the media and that too soon after a match in which he was made the captain and after getting heavy praise from his manager. And what is the reason for this double standard from the so called fans of the club? Simple, they hate Mourinho no matter what, and they will give mileage to any press bullshit if it supports their agenda. The hatred against Mourinho on here has no parallels in footballing world. Even the Chelsea fans in the disastrous 2015-16 season were singing his name during matches and were showing their support until he was sacked.

Don't get me wrong, I do want Pogba to stay here. He is a brilliant footballer, he can be one of the best if he is ready to assert himself like he did in the last match. But sadly, he has not shown that kind of commitment and desire consistently.

And the fact is that, Mourinho or not, Pogba won't stay here for long unless we are ready to feed him and his agent with fat cheques every other year.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I think De Gea is the one who deserves salary more than him, and also I think De Gea should have been the captain.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
His days are numbered here which I think is a shame as he would have been a great long term solution for us.Even if JM was gone the end of the month I wouldn't trust Poba anymore as Riaola and Barcelona have done their work well and it seems like he wants out as he's certainly going the right way about it.

LoneStar

Why can't these footballers (and managers) shut the feck up and stop giving interviews to the media? Just get on with your jobs ffs, and solve your problems in the dressing room.

Imagine if all of us regular Joes who work a 9to5 job constantly gave interviews about the company and our bosses to the media :lol:

amolbhatia50k

So, when Mourinho talked about Pogba's performance in the world cup, many on here were of the opinion that his comments were uncalled-for (I think Jose's comments were spot on and he also praised Pogba's performance in the same line). But the same people are now defending Pogba's more venomous looking comments Infront of the media and that too soon after a match in which he was made the captain and after getting heavy praise from his manager. And what is the reason for this double standard from the so called fans of the club? Simple, they hate Mourinho no matter what, and they will give mileage to any press bullshit if it supports their agenda. The hatred against Mourinho on here has no parallels in footballing world. Even the Chelsea fans in the disastrous 2015-16 season were singing his name during matches and were showing their support until he was sacked.

Don't get me wrong, I do want Pogba to stay here. He is a brilliant footballer, he can be one of the best if he is ready to assert himself like he did in the last match. But sadly, he has not shown that kind of commitment and desire consistently.

And the fact is that, Mourinho or not, Pogba won't stay here for long unless we are ready to feed him and his agent with fat cheques every other year.
Calling other posters "so called fans of the club". Presumably that's coming from a fan unlike anyone else imaginable. So well done on that, super fan.

Look, it's fairly simple. I'm pretty sure all our fans would prefer everyone to stop the public washing of dirty laundry. It's not nice when Jose does it. It's not nice when a player does it. But a manager doing it does encourage players to respond and create a mutually confrontational environment. Football has changed and players have a lot more power/say than they used to. And our manager isn't exactly untouchable in his status at the club itself. This is not Sir Alex Ferguson - THE boss.

My opinion on Pogba's Manchester United performances isn't very high either. I think he's potentially an incredible footballer but has been a let down for us. Then again, I'm not all that impressed by our manager either who contributed to all our attack minded players looking wank. So I'm pretty happy being critical of both as they deserve. I would choose Pogba given a (silly and pointless) choice between the two. Sadly that must have now made me a "so called fan" of the club.

POF

The most important aspect that Ferguson brought to the club was harmony. Whenever he felt that this was under threat, he dealt with it. He dealt with the Ronaldo vs Rooney wink issue. He dealt with the Beckham issue in 1998. He got rid of Keane after his comments on MUTV.

In light of this harmony, we should cash in on Pogba. If he doesn't want to be here, then accept it and move on. We should also learn from these mistakes and never conduct business with Raiola ever again. Even if he has a Messi-type player, it just isn't worth the bother. He is, in my opinion, a sly individual and will do anything to make more money for himself - he has no interest in the career of the player whatsoever. The warning signs were there last season - I have absolutely no doubt he touted Pogba to City.

I have lost a lot of faith in Mourinho but I fully support him in this matter, because we have been down this road with Pogba before with Sir Alex. I don't care if Paul has to play a little differently. I don't care if he has to do more defensive work. This is competitive sport - you are paid very well to carry out the instructions given by the manager. I don't care if you don't feel like your boss is your friend. Stop with these subtle mind-games Paul, and get on with the task at hand.
The sentiment behind this is right but I'm not sure it will work in practice. It's as likely to create disharmony rather than prevent it as the remainder of the squad are as likely to side with Pogba as they are with Jose.

Jose's biggest issue is that he doesn't have a core of senior players that are on his side. There is no winning mentality in the squad so there's no real benefit in getting rid of a player to maintain a winning mentality.

On that point, I am really disappointed that Jose gave Pogba the captain's arm band. He did absolutely nothing to earn it and his childish comments just sum up why he is nowhere near ready for a leadership role in the club.

Pogba has been positioned in a really powerful position by the club. He is emblematic of the club's desired reputation of producing world class players from the youth system. There's no doubt he was brought back as the talisman, future captain and face of the club.

The saddest thing is that the greatest strength of the youth system, which is bringing through players with the right mentality is the exact opposite of what Pogba represents.

amolbhatia50k

Why can't these footballers (and managers) shut the feck up and stop giving interviews to the media? Just get on with your jobs ffs, and solve your problems in the dressing room.

Imagine if all of us regular Joes who work a 9to5 job constantly gave interviews about the company and our bosses to the media :lol:
To be fair, it doesn't happen everywhere does it? I don't see people from all quarters complaining about each other at Liverpool or City. They're public figures and things aren't going well. In this day and age it leads to talking to the media sadly. I agree, though. Wish everyone would sort their issues out behind the scenes and show more togetherness. A little more United would help

Member 90887

Did he call Pogba out the first year when he underperformed for us? It was after a year and a half of sub-par performances from a player of his caliber, we spent a world record fee on him, remember! Alexis was here in January, barely spent 6 months with us, it would be stupid to call him out right now, he needs support, like Pogba got in his first 1.5 years, if he doesn't perform this year, he will be, and rightly so....

It's not the same situations. If you want fairness, you should be fair yourself first.

Fot the Ed part, yes, he should be calling out Jose. But I don't think he has it in him to control the footballing side of the club like that.

amolbhatia50k

His days are numbered here which I think is a shame as he would have been a great long term solution for us.Even if JM was gone the end of the month I wouldn't trust Poba anymore as Riaola and Barcelona have done their work well and it seems like he wants out as he's certainly going the right way about it.
Yeah as much as I don't really think highly of Jose at United, I'm not convinced Pogba is here for the long run either. My guess is both could be gone within the next couple of years.

elmo

Which is a huge reason why he's pissed that Pogba goes missing in games. Hard to win games when your supposed best player starts a disappearing act when he's not interested.

Maybe the club should just give every player heavily incentivised bonuses instead of a high weekly salary to start motivating them to play well every week.

Hitchez

It all starts with the manager continually airing his shit in the media. Once a manager sets the precedent I can't really blame any of players for following suit.

LoneStar

To be fair, it doesn't happen everywhere does it? I don't see people from all quarters complaining about each other at Liverpool or City. They're public figures and things aren't going well. In this day and age it leads to talking to the media sadly. I agree, though. Wish everyone would sort their issues out behind the scenes and show more togetherness. A little more United would help
I think modern day social media does more harm than good. All I can say is I'm glad that I wasn't in a generation which grew up with social media (in fact the last generation which didn't). But this is probably something for another thread in a non football forum :)

amolbhatia50k

Did he call Pogba out the first year when he underperformed for us? It was after a year and a half of sub-par performances from a player of his caliber, we spent a world record fee on him, remember! Alexis was here in January, barely spent 6 months with us, it would be stupid to call him out right now, he needs support, like Pogba got in his first 1.5 years, if he doesn't perform this year, he will be, and rightly so....

It's not the same situations. If you want fairness, you should be fair yourself first.

Fot the Ed part, yes, he should be calling out Jose. But I don't think he has it in him to control the footballing side of the club like that.
Except Pogba's performances, while they've been disappointing, have still been miles better than Sanchez. Friday was no difference.

Neither of the players is helped by questionable manager whose tactics make most of our attack minded flair players look worse. It doesn't help that the manager apparently also doesn't feel it's his responsibility to get the best out of his players.

How am I being unfair exactly?

Ed is Jose's boss. I don't see that changing anytime soon . He'll fire the manager if he feels he's not really upto it. Till then calling him out wouldn't really help as it's pretty counter productive.

SER19

When your manager is an absolute queen himself it can tend to trickle down to the players as well. The whole club is running like a soap opera right now.
I think 24 out of 26 senior squad players seem to be behaving just fine.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Seems players increasingly either act like dicks or are made to act like dicks by their agent to get a big pay rise. Players at the very top end i.e. already making north of £300k but trying to angle for closer to £500k or whatever the going rate is.

For me this has all the hallmarks of Ramos and Ronaldo’s antics at Madrid over the last few years.

Don’t think there’s too much more to it than that. These guys need their super inflated egos massaged and their wallets fattened at every opportunity.