Pogba told the club he wants to leave

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hmm well, I still think Pogba wouldn't fit at Bayern :p

I concede that you might be right that my assessment of Bayern as a dramafree club is, well, completely wrong.
The only reason he wouldn't fit is because they will never pay the fee United would ask otherwise Pogba is an angel compared to some of their former players, he would be eaten alive by Kahn, Matthaus, Effenberg, Lizarazu, Van Bommel and many others. Also they signed Vidal while knowing that he had issues with alcohol, that Juventus were fed up and he was being less than professional at the time. Offer them Pogba for a reasonable fee and they take him.

Drawfull

I think PSG was was cleared of breaking the FPP rules? They can resume their business as usual.
Pogba has been so inconsistent for us I think he could even be considered a flop? Given the price tag.
Carragher made a good point about how the games against Wolves summed him up - scored a fantastic goal and then tries to dribble near the half line, loses the ball and Wolves go on to score.
He really does give away the ball so often.
According to https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...yern-juventus-manchester-city-psg-real-madrid realistically only Barca can afford him. PSG still mired in FFP.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I think PSG was was cleared of breaking the FPP rules? They can resume their business as usual.
Pogba has been so inconsistent for us I think he could even be considered a flop? Given the price tag.
Carragher made a good point about how the games against Wolves summed him up - scored a fantastic goal and then tries to dribble near the half line, loses the ball and Wolves go on to score.
He really does give away the ball so often.
I don't think he is a flop, but I also don't think that he is a 100m+ player. He isn't the kind of player, that will just fit into any system/team and perform.
My question wasn't just a slight dig, but I am genuinely wondering if Barca, Real or Juve would be willing to take this pun despite having top midfielders themselves. Maybe they are, but I don't think that it is a no-brainer. I read about him being linked to Barcelona and I just don't understand how he'd fit into this team. Bayern is never ever going to buy him for that kind of money, Woody won't sell him to City, so there would be only PSG left. PSG makes a lot of sense, considering that he is french, their midfield is underwhelming and they are willing to to throw money at players (if FFP doesn't restrict them).

Wicked_Badger

Generally not that fussed about him leaving. Very inconsistent, flashes of brilliance but many, many wasted opportunities & loss of possession when trying fancy things.

Seems he has to have the team built around him in order for him to flourish, which we don’t do (apart from with Ronaldo - but he’s an exception to the rule).

Get rid of both Mourinho & Pogba. Neither are good enough for this club.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The only reason he wouldn't fit is because they will never pay the fee United would ask otherwise Pogba is an angel compared to some of their former players, he would be eaten alive by Kahn, Matthaus, Effenberg, Lizarazu, Van Bommel and many others. Also they signed Vidal while knowing that he had issues with alcohol, that Juventus were fed up and he was being less than professional at the time. Offer them Pogba for a reasonable fee and they take him.
anyone would take Pogba for "a reasonable fee", but United are never going to let him go for little money. This Bayern team had/has many difficult characters in it, but they are willing to give everything on the pitch. Even the likes of Robben and Ribery are usually putting in proper defensive shifts despite their age. Pogba strolling around wouldn't go down well with anyone in this squad.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Generally not that fussed about him leaving. Very inconsistent, flashes of brilliance but many, many wasted opportunities & loss of possession when trying fancy things.

Seems he has to have the team built around him in order for him to flourish, which we don’t do (apart from with Ronaldo - but he’s an exception to the rule).

I think a player bought for a record transfer fee was worthy of building a team around him. Shame that Jose views Paul as some mere cog in his mechanism.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Given Raoila I'd expect this to get done this summer. It's how the guy works.

Sad really, seemed a good fit at the time. He'll tear up an easier league, but isn't driven enough for the prem, where midfield tends to be a battle. Outside of De Bruyne, the other top teams all have workers in there.

JPRouve

Scout
anyone would take Pogba for "a reasonable fee", but United are never going to let him go for little money. This Bayern team had/has many difficult characters in it, but they are willing to give everything on the pitch. Even the likes of Robben and Ribery are usually putting in proper defensive shifts despite their age. Pogba strolling around wouldn't go down well with anyone in this squad.
We agree then and the important thing with Bayern is that the culture of the club means that they can develop player's on pitch character.

SteveTheRed

I think Redknapp is actually talking sense on this one, if we got a new manager in do you really think Pogba will play levels above what he has currently done?

Even Pogba's best games still show glaringly obvious flaws in his game. He looks good when the whole team looks good. He's no leader.

I think they both need to leave.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think Redknapp is actually talking sense on this one, if we got a new manager in do you really think Pogba will play levels above what he has currently done?

Even Pogba's best games still show glaringly obvious flaws in his game. He looks good when the whole team looks good. He's no leader.

Not just Pogba but quite a few players likely would if we had the right manager.

SteveTheRed

Not just Pogba but quite a few players likely would if we had the right manager.
That just speaks volume of those players if that were to be true. Does Pogba need a new manager to tell him not to sulk around on the pitch? Piss about losing possession?

He can still play Hollywood passes and score sensation goals, it's the fundamentals he seems to dismiss. I just can't believe that a new manager comes in and suddenly Pogba understands it's not all about him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Whole team looks good when he plays well.

Handsome Devil

But who? Pogba's ego is going to be the size of the Death Star if he engineers Jose's sacking. We would need a beast to take this on plus the camp followers in the dressing room. Who would want to runaway and join this circus?

SteveTheRed

Whole team looks good when he plays well.
Think this would just go round in circles , I don't think you can name any team in the countries that has a good game without the CM playing well. I just think he need everyone else to work extra hard to cover his mistakes, not what I think a CM should do/ quite the opposite.

Cassidy

That just speaks volume of those players if that were to be true. Does Pogba need a new manager to tell him not to sulk around on the pitch? Piss about losing possession?

He can still play Hollywood passes and score sensation goals, it's the fundamentals he seems to dismiss. I just can't believe that a new manager comes in and suddenly Pogba understands it's not all about him.
My point wasn't really about Pogba but about the fact that as a team the majority of players are underperforming

Cantonagotmehere

Sad really, seemed a good fit at the time. He'll tear up an easier league, but isn't driven enough for the prem, where midfield tends to be a battle. Outside of De Bruyne, the other top teams all have workers in there.
Sadly, I am starting to agree. Also De Bruyne might not be a work house but he seems the consummate professional, unlike Pogba.

Cassidy

But who? Pogba's ego is going to be the size of the Death Star if he engineers Jose's sacking. We would need a beast to take this on plus the camp followers in the dressing room. Who would want to runaway and join this circus?
You're missing the point, if we had the right manager the majority of our players would be playing better, it wasn't about Pogba specifically

Cassidy

Sadly, I am starting to agree. Also De Bruyne might not be a work house but he seems the consummate professional, unlike Pogba.
Indeed, I mean it was not DeBruyne that was criticising Roberto Martinez's tactics for Belgium and how he is used in the side. Top professional that guy!

roonster09

Scout
Think this would just go round in circles , I don't think you can name any team in the countries that has a good game without the CM playing well. I just think he need everyone else to work extra hard to cover his mistakes, not what I think a CM should do/ quite the opposite.
We won league titles with no midfield, we had Cleverley in midfield, out of form Carrick and past it Scholes, not to forget Winger/CM Giggs and Anderson. We barely had a proper midfield and that didn't stop us playing well.

Liverpool had midfield of Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and that didn't stop them playing well. (I know reply is what did they win).

Re, everyone else having to do extra work, here is the post by @Brwned which is relevant here.

That's definitely part of it, but I think there's a particularly British idea of what constitutes "hard work" in football which exacerbates that for Pogba. Running towards your own goal is lauded as a heroic effort, running forward towards the opposition goal is ignored entirely. That feeds into all sorts of assessments about the level of commitment, determination, selflessness, effort etc. that plays a huge role in shaping people's views on footballers over here. So even if he contributes a lot outside of that, the frustration that comes from Pogba's perceived laziness just make him a constant target. If only he put in more effort...

The very obvious reality is that Pogba runs more than most players, but he gets criticised for not running enough because of the kind of runs he makes and the ones he chooses not to. The fact he's the only player in the team consistently making lung-busting runs to support Lukaku right up until the 90th minute is simply overlooked. No-one ever criticises Matic for not running forward enough, despite the fact he opts to take a breather and hang back in almost exactly the same way with the same kind of frequency. He does it in a different part of the pitch and his body language is different, but that hardly matters. Running is running, a lot of the time it's selfless and it's always mentally and physically draining.

People associate it with a sense of ego and teamwork but that doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Running up to support Lukaku in the 90th minute is every bit as important to holding onto the lead as sitting deep is. It is not an ego-driven surge but an essential team contribution. The fact he gives us that outlet to allow the team to re-group is incredibly valuable, and the fact he has the energy levels and sheer explosiveness to actually provide a threat on top of that is invaluable. It's something that Pellegrini touched on a while back:

Distance covered stats aren't really available in the public domain but FIFA and UEFA show some of them for their major events. If you look at the distance covered stats averaged over the course of the World Cup for the finalists' four main centre mids - Modric, Pogba, Rakitic and Kante - you can see they're in the same ballpark. Yet only one of them is frequently described as lazy, two of them are described as unusually hardworking playmakers, and one is described as almost superhuman.

Modric: 9.4km
Pogba: 9.7km
Rakitic: 10.2km
Kante: 10.4km

(distance covered per 90 mins)

The point is not that Pogba runs more than Modric. The fact Modric played another 150 minutes in a short space of time likely brought down that overall average, and on the whole he probably runs more. The point is they are not that far apart in the numbers, but they're worlds apart in the descriptions. Pogba runs less but makes longer, more explosive runs more frequently. The nature of that style of running and the role he occupies as a result of that makes it entirely expected that he takes breathers high up the pitch more often. It's not about laziness.

The fact that even Lukaku chased back a fullback towards the end of the game should not be in any way shocking. He doesn't have to make the draining runs minute by minute that Pogba does because he's saving his energy for the explosive runs, so he should be expected to do that every now and then. In the same way he shouldn't be expected to do it all the time, because that wouldn't be the most valuable use of the energy he has. His average was 7.8km in the World Cup, for what it's worth. That isn't something that is purely down to where he plays - e.g. Kane's was 9.9km, Giroud's was 9.3km - nor is it a measurement of effort. It's just a reflection of the kind of running they do. Explosive running like Lukaku's is far more draining than Kane's or Giroud's, and repeated long bursts at speed like Pogba (or Toure) is more draining than Matic or Fellaini's constant movement at a much steadier pace.

JPRouve

Scout

He doesn't have to be a leader and like I said when we purchased him Pogba isn't your engine he is more like your spoilers. And every player has obvious flaws, the job of the manager is to combine players that mitigate each others flaws and accentuate their qualities. When you play Kroos and Modric without someone like Casemiro you expose both players' flaws, Kroos lack of speed and defensive nous/skills and Modric physicality, does that mean that one of them should leave?

Pundits are absolute morons, their evaluation of players is generally stupid because they compare them against a mystical player that doesn't exist, they do it with everyone and that's why they end up making stupid points like Messi wouldn't succeed in the PL. Gerrard had massive flaws too, he wasn't able to consistently dictate the game and really made a difference when Benitez accepted that fact and put him in a role that would maximize his qualities behind a mobile striker with an enforcer and a deep lying playmaker.

Last edited:

Esquire

I am just wondering which club would be willing to splash big money on him. He'd be a perfect fit for PSG, but I don't know if FFP restricts them.
Everything Pogba and his fat jabba the hut lookalike agent are doing is orchested and calculated. The want to force an out where the club will countenance a cut price fee. On the other hand, Mou thinks he’s doing a power play in front of the cameras but they both look tremendously stupid and petulant. Mou picking a fight yesterday for all to see played right into Pogba’s hands. Mou looked the aggressor here.

If this was happening at a rival I’d find it so hilarious. I mean this is farcical and it’s almost like a very bad over the top script for a football related drama which people would find utterly unbelievable. Yet it’s happening to Manchester United. Let that sink in.

Vashu

Everton away in January. Pogba got finally played as an offensive midfielder and he has single handedly run the show on that day. There was no sight of any flaws in his game.

Smores

My point wasn't really about Pogba but about the fact that as a team the majority of players are underperforming
Even the professionals are coming out and saying changing managers doesn't suddenly make you change your game.

It's very simplistic to blame all of a players performance on a manager, incredibly convenient too. I mean watching Pogba do you really not see any of his bad play thats down to him? Really?!?

Smores

Everton away in January. Pogba got finally played as an offensive midfielder and he has single handedly run the show on that day. There was no sight of any flaws in his game.
Oh great we're back to people saying he needs to be played offensively :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The Serie A is far much slower paced than the Premier League, so requirements of being ready ro play there differ from premier league imo.
That's BS. So are you saying that we shouldn't be interested on Serie A players anymore?

Handsome Devil

Everything Pogba and his fat jabba the hut lookalike agent are doing is orchested and calculated. The want to force an out where the club will countenance a cut price fee. On the other hand, Mou thinks he’s doing a power play in front of the cameras but they both look tremendously stupid and petulant. Mou picking a fight yesterday for all to see played right into Pogba’s hands. Mou looked the aggressor here.

If this was happening at a rival I’d find it so hilarious. I mean this is farcical and it’s almost like a very bad over the top script for a football related drama which people would find utterly unbelievable. Yet it’s happening to Manchester United. Let that sink in.
Is Jabba not on a percentage though?

roonster09

Scout
He doesn't have to be a leader and like I said when we purchased him Pogba isn't your engine is more like your spoilers. And every player has obvious flaws, the job of the manager is to combine players that mitigate each others flaws and accentuate their qualities. When you play Kroos and Modric without someone like Casemiro you expose both players' flaws, Kroos lack of speed and defensive nous/skills and Modric physicality, does that mean that one of them should leave?

Pundits are absolute morons, their evaluation of players is generally stupid because they compare them against a mystical player that doesn't exist, they do it with everyone and that's why they end up making stupid points like Messi wouldn't succeed in the PL. Gerrard had massive flaws too, he wasn't able to consistently dictate the game and really made a difference when Benitez accepted that fact and put him in a role that would maximize his qualities behind a mobile striker with an enforcer and a deep lying playmaker.
Exactly and very good post. Every player is not complete players, they have their strengths and weakness. For example, Kante would be useless if we judge him on attacking metrics. You need someone who is good ball player beside him. Like you said, Kroos and Modric midfield wasn't balanced and introduction of Casemiro was the turning point.

Vashu

Oh great we're back to people saying he needs to be played offensively :lol:
Since Pogba isn't a player akin to Modric, Kroos, Pirlo, Scholes or even Carrick. Yes I do think so.
Looks like whatever happens we're fecked.

Rane

He flourished at Juve. The team structure wasn't built around him but it was built to get the most out of every player. Conte trusted him to fight for the team, which he did. Deschamps revealing he is a team focused player is not hearsay, it is the reality. These managers get the most out of him, Jose has failed to. He has also failed to get the best out of almost every other member of the first team squad. That is ultimately on him.

Pogba is definitely good enough for Manchester United. Getting rid of him would be madness, particularly if it is to pander to Jose's pride.

JPRouve

Scout
Even the professionals are coming out and saying changing managers doesn't suddenly make you change your game.

It's very simplistic to blame all of a players performance on a manager, incredibly convenient too. I mean watching Pogba do you really not see any of his bad play thats down to him? Really?!?
It doesn't make you change your game but a new manager(or vision since you don't need to actually change the manager) means new combinations, new ways of looking at a group of players and how they can interact with each others in a way that will allow them to exploit their qualities and hide their flaws. That's what tactics is all about when you look at your team and that's where managers fail, it's in the way they evaluate players individually, collectively and how they convey their message.

Smores

It doesn't make you change your game but a new manager(or vision since you don't need to actually change the manager) means new combinations, new way of looking at a group of players and how they can interact with each others in a way that will allow them to exploit their qualities and hide their flaws. That's what tactics is all about when you look at your team and that's where managers fail, it's in the way they evaluate players individually, collectively and how they convey their message.
And which of those caused him to lose the ball on the halfway line the other day? Or take several touches every time to slow our play?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No, the post I first responded to was you using googly eyes smiley questioning a poster for talking about social media and that people couldn’t separate that/the man from the player, which implied to me you was definitively saying it had no affect on anything.
I merely responded saying that was impossible to know and social media could well be having an effect on things. I thought that was fair. We seem to agree in a roundabout way anyway
Well it didn't imply that. I find a very boring thing to talk about whilst a huge reason o hatred towards Pogba (just like Lingard). Dislking a player for what does off the field says more about the "fan" than the player

JPRouve

Scout
And which of those caused him to lose the ball on the halfway line the other day? Or take several touches every time to slow our play?
Players make mistakes, if that's the extent of your vision then there is no way to discuss.

Vashu

You what does that? A player being played out of position burdened with defensive responsibilities that really aren't his game.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Are you saying De Bruyne isn't a worker? He really is - which is what separates him from the likes of Pogba. He's a highly talented team player who puts in a shift - which is what we used to have, but don't have with this flouncing jessie.

Cassidy

One of two players yes, the majority of the squad then its the manager simple as. The part about what pros as saying make sense if you are talking about a few individuals, not the majority of the squad. Again my point wasn't even about Pogba.

Esquire

Is Jabba not on a percentage though?
True, but I guess if his client is saying I want out at all cost, Jabba’s gotta conduct a scorch earth campaign, which is exactly what he and his client are doing at the moment. There is no way -none- despite what the Pogba fanboys say, that they have been the victim in all of this.