Pogba vs De Bruyne: who is the better passer?

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
No chance. We can talk about ability all day, but big money transfers at world record, or close levels are heavily influenced by marketability as well.
Perhaps your right as Neymar is much more marketable. I do think that in KDB would go for at least 150 in todays market though

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
The reason Pogba's passing is so underrated is because he's great at many other things unlike his adversaries and De Bruyne who are all about passing. Hell Fabregas wouldn't even be a footballer if he couldn't pass the ball very well.
De Bruyne is probably better at shooting and crossing as well. He’s great at everything you need for a CAM. I’d give Pogba strength and dribbling over KdB.

ryan cook

Pogba has that wow factor because he has so much flair and elegance to his passing. He can pull off a worldie without even looking like he was trying.

But the downside to his stylish passing is the inconsistency becuase it's near on impossible to pull off the passes he does with hundred percent accuracy.

Cant really comment much on De bruyne because i haven't seem him play a considerable amount of times but reading through the comments, it sound like he is more effient and accurate in his passing which probably works better in the system he plays at city.

Stacks

Hate that this thread exists because it’s divisive. Both are great players end of...
divisive? You are allowed to compare things in life lad. If you can't handle that then I don't know what to tell ya. Whose the best Messi or Ronaldo? Barcelona of 2009-2014 or Real in late 90's to 2000's? Its just discussion.

disclaimer - no footballers will be harmed in the discussion of this topic

AllezLesDiables

divisive? You are allowed to compare things in life lad. If you can't handle that then I don't know what to tell ya. Whose the best Messi or Ronaldo? Barcelona of 2009-2014 or Real in late 90's to 2000's? Its just discussion.

disclaimer - no footballers will be harmed in the discussion of this topic
Hmm let’s see United v . City player like that’s going end well ...

DoubleRevv

KDB only 1 assist in an away game this season (EPL)
Pogba 4 assist in away games this season (EPL, an in less games than KDB)

Courtesy Whoscored? (not de Bruyne)

buckooo1978

the thing about De Bruyne that really made me notice him is the weight of his passing - reminded me of Scholes in that he's more intelligent and passes are exactly want them

Pogba is outrageous but a lot of what he does isn't always accurate - reminds me of Gerrard a bit in that he goes for the throat more

both fantastic in different ways

Temple Olumese

While many may not accept it, KDB does have a resemblance to Beckham in terms of whiping in a cross/pass. He is clearly the better passer but very few managers would trade Pogba for KDB. Shame we won't get to see them both in action this weekend

LeftyBlaster

the thing about De Bruyne that really made me notice him is the weight of his passing - reminded me of Scholes in that he's more intelligent and passes are exactly want them

Pogba is outrageous but a lot of what he does isn't always accurate - reminds me of Gerrard a bit in that he goes for the throat more

both fantastic in different ways
Sums it up very well. KDB is a better overall game maker.

KYcinco

KDB only 1 assist in an away game this season (EPL)
Pogba 4 assist in away games this season (EPL, an in less games than KDB)

Courtesy Whoscored? (not de Bruyne)
What a pointless statement :lol:.

Anyway,Pogba has more variety( his personality plays a part ),De Bruyne is better at passing in the final 3rd ,as someone stated,his timing is damn near perfect.

Both top notch

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Both are different players who add different qualities to a team. Would love to have De Bruyne in our team. His passing is immaculate. Inch perfect almost, with the weight of the pass also perfect, plus his shots on goal from long range are more accurate than Pogba's.

Pogba is better at breaking-up play and holding the ball bringing team-mates into play.

However, City currently have better runners off the ball and that makes it easier for KDB to pick a pass. Pogba could use some help from his team-mates.

DoubleRevv

What a pointless statement :lol:.

Anyway,Pogba has more variety( his personality plays a part ),De Bruyne is better at passing in the final 3rd ,as someone stated,his timing is damn near perfect.

Both top notch
What a pointless person and a pointless post.

It is a tragedy you are not intelligent enough to realise that de Bruyne very likely plays with more restrictions when City are on the road, so he won't be the one supplying assists. Keeping in mind that City are away this weekend and playing United, it has relevance on how we can go about winning the game. I'm not going to spend my time debating with a kid on a football manager console, but dim-witted responses like yours spoil this forum for me.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What a pointless person and a pointless post.

It is a tragedy you are not intelligent enough to realise that de Bruyne very likely plays with more restrictions when City are on the road, so he won't be the one supplying assists. Keeping in mind that City are away this weekend and playing United, it has relevance on how we can go about winning the game. I'm not going to spend my time debating with a kid on a football manager console, but dim-witted responses like yours spoil this forum for me.
To each their own... personally I find ad hominem the biggest barrier to good debates on here

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
Based on this season its becoming more and more apparent what I said near the start, Not only is KDB the better passer but what completely separates them as players is the decision's about when and where to pass. Pogba maybe slightly more blessed with the natural ability but he doesn't have anywhere near the mental intelligence when it comes to passing that KDB does.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Based on this season its becoming more and more apparent what I said near the start, Not only is KDB the better passer but what completely separates them as players is the decision's about when and where to pass. Pogba maybe slightly more blessed with the natural ability but he doesn't have anywhere near the mental intelligence when it comes to passing that KDB does.
Good post on the subject. The thing I find truly impressive with KDB, is like you said the "when and where" to pass but the weight of those passes ... It makes easier on the runner to take the ball into his stride.

SwSw

There's no need to compare when the environments of the experiments are vastly different. City have runners and options. We don't. Until we have players that do some running off the ball or some sort of attacking structure drilled in them, Pogba will always look inferior.

Reactions: Fortitude

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Good post on the subject. The thing I find truly impressive with KDB, is like you said the "when and where" to pass but the weight of those passes ... It makes easier on the runner to take the ball into his stride.
agree with this, he made the pass for Aguero's first goal on Saturday look so simple after the give and go with Sterling yet most top level pro's would have taken a touch

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There's no need to compare when the environments of the experiments are vastly different. City have runners and options. We don't. Until we have players that do some running off the ball or some sort of attacking structure drilled in them, Pogba will always look inferior.
This also plays a big role, one gets to showcase more his classy passing than the other.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That's a good point. When there are no runners or no off the ball movement, all Pogba can do is just pass to the feet. This is something that is ignored easily.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
A nice way of approaching a fairly pointless question.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes it does seem this way to me.

Pogba is an excellent passer in his own right. But KDB like the best passers can pull the quality passes off whether he has time or not. That separates the best from the very good. Pogba has time to improve though. I think he has more natural ability. The focus and the fleetness of mind needs work.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
I know but I'm not the one who created this thread.

I suppose as a creative mid Martial, Lukaku, Rashford & Sanchez is not the worst movement in front of you if I'm being honest. Just like fabregas in front of him at Chelsea you do have runners but obviously not the standard of movement city are at. De bruyne's decision making is quite simply levels above pogba regardless of the team they are in.

Yesterday is a completely random example and not to jump on him because he had a bad game (He is a good player) but if de bruyne had the ball when sanchez was free and overlapping that goes straight into his path and hes through 1 on 1.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know but I'm not the one who created this thread.

I suppose as a creative mid Martial, Lukaku, Rashford & Sanchez is not the worst movement in front of you if I'm being honest. Just like fabregas in front of him at Chelsea you do have runners but obviously not the standard of movement city are at. De bruyne's decision making is quite simply levels above pogba regardless of the team they are in.

Yesterday is a completely random example and not to jump on him because he had a bad game (He is a good player) but if de bruyne had the ball when sanchez was free and overlapping that goes straight into his path and hes through 1 on 1.
I was thinking of the exact same example as I read the first para. For all the cries of pogba getting no support that moment was typical of him in these tight games. Putting it behind Sanchez killed the momentum.

Jaybomb

They’re both completely different players.

I’d imagine Pogba is the better long passer. De Bruyne is the better “creator”

RedOldBoy

But isn't Mourinho's playing style and tactics that inhibit constant off-the-ball movement, as his philosophy revolves around conserving energy? So it's partly Mourinho's ''fault'' we are underwhelming going forward, regardless of the quality we possess up front. It seems that some adjustments are needed

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
The only reason there's even debate about this is because this is a United forum!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think Pogba is capable of all the passes KDB is, but KDB is just so much more consistent and clever in his passing and that's the difference. He spots passes that Pogba never would. It's a no contest, because of footballing intelligence, not ability.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
They’re both completely different players.

I’d imagine Pogba is the better long passer. De Bruyne is the better “creator”
At what point does a pass become “long”?

As an aside, if both clubs were to suddenly announce a Pogba and De Bruyne swap deal I think the general consensus would be that it’s a great deal for United and City were absolutely crazy.

clarkydaz

I think Pogba is capable of all the passes KDB is, but KDB is just so much more consistent and clever in his passing and that's the difference. He spots passes that Pogba never would. It's a no contest, because of footballing intelligence, not ability.
i disagree with this. Pogba is fantastic at long range passing switching play with both feet, stuff Rooney tried emulate but failed. KDB cuts defences and splits defenders open with forward passes along the floor, much more difficult

gibers

Easier to be more consistent when you have a ssytem for atacking. The players all know where they need to run and move into automatically. Pogba essentially has to improvise a lot more. Pogba under Pep would be a monster as well. KDB won't be anywhere near as good under Mou.

gibers

KDB is a different class to Pogba at the moment, lets stop kidding ourselves.
Of course but he benefits heavily from having Pep as a coach. Who here would have thought last year we would be saying KdB is a better cm than Pogba?

Pogba would be monstrous under Pep. Talent wise I think Pogba is ahead of him.

el3mel

KDB is far more consistent and mature than Pogba. Talent wise they may not be far ahead but talent isn't everything for a player though.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Of course but he benefits heavily from having Pep as a coach. Who here would have thought last year we would be saying KdB is a better cm than Pogba?

Pogba would be monstrous under Pep. Talent wise I think Pogba is ahead of him.
Thats based on nothing more than bias though, all we can go off is which has done more for their respective clubs - not even a contest.

gibers

Thats based on nothing more than bias though, all we can go off is which has done more for their respective clubs - not even a contest.
KdB and every City player benefits heavily having Pep as a coach. Would you say Delph is a better LB than Shaw? Pogba has to improvise a lot more. There is no patter to our attacks.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
There is just over 12 months in age between them. If Pogba doesn't gather that intelligence then not sure he ever will. KDB has had it for a while. It is what attracted Manchester City to him in the first place. Pogba is 24, 25 next month, he going to become the oldest teenager in town if we are not careful.

M Bison

Supports
York City
KdB and every City player benefits heavily having Pep as a coach. Would you say Delph is a better LB than Shaw? Pogba has to improvise a lot more. There is no patter to our attacks.
I just don't buy it, KDB is the best midfielder in the league by a long way.

The comparison isn't even close, its like the Herrera and Kane comparison last year, only our fans would consider the Utd player superior.