Pogba

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Could the £500k talk be a leak from the club, so that when he signs an extension at £350-£400k it seems like a fair deal?
If that's the case journalists like Simon Stone, Ducker would be reporting it, not some random journalist from Sun.

bushyzor

So I am not an ITK of any kind but have an interesting story (or two) that I would like to share.

I have a friend that works for Adidas. While he isn’t in the sponsorship/deals side of the business he does occasionally get to attend functions and he knows some of the people that work on that part of the business.

A while ago he was having a discussion with the guy who worked on the Adidas / Man United sponsorship deal. Here are some of the noteworthy things this guy said about the sponsorship deal:

- The agreement has a clause that requires Manchester United to have an Adidas sponsored player at the club that Adidas approves of - for marketing purposes.

- Adidas does not have the right to dictate who this player needs to be, but they have the right to approve or reject the player being considered.

- The current Adidas Approved player is Paul Pogba.

- The stories about Paul Pogba trying to get a move away in the summer of 2019 are true. The challenge was that United could not find a suitable player that Adidas would approve to replace him that was willing to move at the time.

- The Dybala rumours at the time we’re true, as he was the only player on the list of possible transfers that Adidas approved. However, Dybala did not want to join.

This is one of the main problems we face in the Pogba debacle. He wants to move and the club may be willing to let him go, but due to commercial contract reasons, we have had to keep him. Moving on from the summer of 2019 we still do not have an alternate Adidas “elite” player (to my knowledge). If we look at he other possibilities in or squad that might fit the adidas requirement, Ronaldo has been with Nike for ages, Bruno is with Nike, and Sancho is with Nike. And even then, based on current form and fan sentiment, I don’t think any of these players (Ronaldo aside) would fit the requirement for Adidas’ marketing team.

Bonus Fun Fact:
Mohamed Salah is an Adidas player and as such was due to receive a big bonus from Adidas for participating in the champions league final in 2019. 2 weeks before their Champions League final he was given a special “Finals” boots that he was expected to wear during the finals game. Come finals night, Salah walked out onto the pitch in his old boots and did not wear the special boots Adidas had created for him. Adidas we’re suitable p***ed and refused to pay him his bonus as a result. It lead to Salah attempting to sue Adidas to try and get his bonus from them. I do not know if it has subsequently been resolved, but I do not believe Adidas did ever pay him his bonus.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So I am not an ITK of any kind but have an interesting story (or two) that I would like to share.

I have a friend that works for Adidas. While he isn’t in the sponsorship/deals side of the business he does occasionally get to attend functions and he knows some of the people that work on that part of the business.

A while ago he was having a discussion with the guy who worked on the Adidas / Man United sponsorship deal. Here are some of the noteworthy things this guy said about the sponsorship deal:

- The agreement has a clause that requires Manchester United to have an Adidas sponsored player at the club that Adidas approves of - for marketing purposes.

- Adidas does not have the right to dictate who this player needs to be, but they have the right to approve or reject the player being considered.

- The stories about Paul Pogba trying to get a move away in the summer of 2019 are true. The challenge was that United could not find a suitable player that Adidas would approve to replace him that was willing to move at the time.

- The Dybala rumours at the time we’re true, as he was the only player on the list of possible transfers that Adidas approved. However, Dybala did not want to join.

This is one of the main problems we face in the Pogba debacle. He wants to move and the club may be willing to let him go, but due to commercial contract reasons, we have had to keep him. Moving on from the summer of 2019 we still do not have an alternate Adidas “elite” player (to my knowledge). If we look at he other possibilities in or squad that might fit the adidas requirement, Ronaldo has been with Nike for ages, Bruno is with Nike, and Sancho is with Nike. And even then, based on current form and fan sentiment, I don’t think any of these players (Ronaldo aside) would fit the requirement for Adidas’ marketing team.

Bonus Fun Fact:
Mohamed Salah is an Adidas player and as such was due to receive a big bonus from Adidas for participating in the champions league final in 2019. 2 weeks before their Champions League final he was given a special “Finals” boots that he was expected to wear during the finals game. Come finals night, Salah walked out onto the pitch in his old boots and did not wear the special boots Adidas had created for him. Adidas we’re suitable p***ed and refused to pay him his bonus as a result. It lead to Salah attempting to sue Adidas to try and get his bonus from them. I do not know if it has subsequently been resolved, but I do not believe Adidas did ever pay him his bonus
Adidas choosing players is obviously nonsense,

ManUtd's biggest stars are Nike athletes, Ronaldo and Bruno. Madrid's biggest star was Ronaldo and Madrid were Adidas' biggest football club.

Messi is Adidas sponsored player and he played almost all his career for Nike sponsored team and we are talking about elite level, biggest club and biggest footballer.

Lewandowski is almost the face of Bayern and Adidas owns part of Bayern (if I'm not wrong)

People read too much into these, like how Nike were supposed to sponsor ManUtd for Sneijder deal.

Greck

This is one of the main problems we face in the Pogba debacle. He wants to move and the club may be willing to let him go, but due to commercial contract reasons, we have had to keep him. Moving on from the summer of 2019 we still do not have an alternate Adidas “elite” player (to my knowledge). If we look at he other possibilities in or squad that might fit the adidas requirement, Ronaldo has been with Nike for ages, Bruno is with Nike, and Sancho is with Nike. And even then, based on current form and fan sentiment, I don’t think any of these players (Ronaldo aside) would fit the requirement for Adidas’ marketing team. Even that top 4 clause contributed to sinking standards at the club, people quote sponsorship clauses like it's some accomplishment and the board only judge managers on the back of it.

Bonus Fun Fact:
Mohamed Salah is an Adidas player and as such was due to receive a big bonus from Adidas for participating in the champions league final in 2019. 2 weeks before their Champions League final he was given a special “Finals” boots that he was expected to wear during the finals game. Come finals night, Salah walked out onto the pitch in his old boots and did not wear the special boots Adidas had created for him. Adidas we’re suitable p***ed and refused to pay him his bonus as a result. It lead to Salah attempting to sue Adidas to try and get his bonus from them. I do not know if it has subsequently been resolved, but I do not believe Adidas did ever pay him his bonus.
I don't mind the commercial side one bit. What gets me is how we do feck all with the money so it's like a lose-lose. Recently started to wonder if we'd even be better off with less. Manager/CEO blows huge sums on inflated single signings, then if fans don't get a muppet megasigning they say we haven't invested, haven't backed the manager or can't expect to win anything till we do.

Even that top 4 clause helped sink standards. People quote it like some standalone accomplishment and the board only judge managers on it.

hobbers

Any talk of a clause like that is obviously nonsense.

There are plenty of Adidas sponsored players but only a handful on the same commercial level as Pogba and Salah.

If it were true though the answer is simple. Sign Bellingham and get Adidas to pay for it.

clarkydaz

Bonus Fun Fact:
im sure on here at the time of the Pogba rumours, Adidas were said to be heavily involved and knew of the deal beforehand. This all wouldnt suprise me at all with our board. Grab the big money upfront without care how it affects the club later on. I dont see many logical reasons why the board have kept him all this time for underperformance and constant headache

Nordmore

im sure on here at the time of the Pogba rumours, Adidas were said to be heavily involved and knew of the deal beforehand. This all wouldnt suprise me at all with our board. Grab the big money upfront without care how it affects the club later on. I dont see many logical reasons why the board have kept him all this time for underperformance and constant headache
Because it's not their headache but the manager and fans. In fact, on a business perspective they probably even like noisy ones like him. It generates clicks and media coverage.

clarkydaz

Because it's not their headache but the manager and fans. In fact, on a business perspective they probably even like noisy ones like him. It generates clicks and media coverage.
yes thats what i meant, no reason for on the pitch stuff. Merch and buzz makes perfect sense they forever throw stupid money at him

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
And now we are reaching 10 years again.

Look, i'm not even saying anything controversial here. Pogba having 0 Prem titles is just a fact
Exactly…..Robson only scrapped a couple as a bit part. Whiteside Moses McGrath Coppell McQueen Macari…I get why we’d banter Gerrard, Liverpool fans think he was the second coming and the greatest player to play the game since 1990.

Not sure why we’d randomly pick one of our players out of endless lists of players, who actually has won the biggest prize in the sport ?

spiriticon

Exactly…..Robson only scrapped a couple as a bit part. Whiteside Moses McGrath Coppell McQueen Macari…I get why we’d banter Gerrard, Liverpool fans think he was the second coming and the greatest player to play the game since 1990.

Not sure why we’d randomly pick one of our players out of endless lists of players, who actually has won the biggest prize in the sport ?
And yet you don't get why people banter Pogba if the club deems him worthy of the highest wage in the league?

Fluctuation0161

im a long time Pogba detractor . never thought he;s lived up to the hype or delivered in the way I expected. but...

we fkn need him right now. Its true when a teams form is poor the stock of those who dont play increases ( vdb , lingard, pogba ) . Pogba has that chutzpah he has the sneer that all top players have. He has the aura and personality that other players look at and feed off. I think he would be a positive influence in the dressing room and help unite a fractured squad. but he needs to be in the team. The sooner he comes back the better
Bollocks. It's time to get rid. Him and his agent are toxic.

Fluctuation0161

https://www.espn.com/soccer/news/story/_/id/1746617/manchester-united-unveil-new-medical-facility

“It's a wonderful facility, something which we can show off to new players when they come in,'' Moyes added. “They will have the best medical facilities at a football club in Europe, and probably the world.

“It's something which will make a big difference to the club. Undoubtedly it will help us get players on the field quicker more often and in turn we should have less injuries as well.''
Well, it's better then Everton.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
And yet you don't get why people banter Pogba if the club deems him worthy of the highest wage in the league?
I don’t get why our fans would banter our own players?

Then again I don’t get why Pogba has had to come out and deny these contract rumours, or why the discussion is ongoing after he did, or why he had to video himself having an operation? Or why nobody cares that Matic, Shaw, Lukaku and many others went abroad for rehab but when Pogba does….he’s a disgrace. I don’t get why some players can extend their summer holidays after international tournaments and get lauded, when Pogba cuts short his holidays after winning the World Cup to start the season for us with no pre season…..to be abused on the pitch at the end of that season.

But then the fans can’t understand why he’d have reservations about signing a new contract for us. (25 billion a week I’ve heard and he flies in from Dubai on a Friday for the game…..disgrace)

spiriticon

I don’t get why our fans would banter our own players?

Then again I don’t get why Pogba has had to come out and deny these contract rumours, or why the discussion is ongoing after he did, or why he had to video himself having an operation? Or why nobody cares that Matic, Shaw, Lukaku and many others went abroad for rehab but when Pogba does….he’s a disgrace. I don’t get why some players can extend their summer holidays after international tournaments and get lauded, when Pogba cuts short his holidays after winning the World Cup to start the season for us with no pre season…..to be abused on the pitch at the end of that season.

But then the fans can’t understand why he’d have reservations about signing a new contract for us. (25 billion a week I’ve heard and he flies in from Dubai on a Friday for the game…..disgrace)
Why not? The way the club is run is a joke. When one of your besties is a scouser, believe you me there is no banter about United that I have not heard.

I don't really care what Pogba does. He can stay (but not for a ridiculous wage) or he can go. I'm just happy to see the end of it. That said, to REALLY see the 'end of it' he probably has to go.

The reason why he is more targeted for banter is simply because he was once the record fee for a player on a fairly high wage with only a few minor titles for United, not because he behaves better or worse than the other players currently in the team. With big fees come big expectations, even from oppo fans. The fee may not be his fault but that is the way it is.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Why not? The way the club is run is a joke. When one of your besties is a scouser, believe you me there is no banter about United that I have not heard.

I don't really care what Pogba does. He can stay (but not for a ridiculous wage) or he can go. I'm just happy to see the end of it. That said, to REALLY see the 'end of it' he probably has to go.

The reason why he is more targeted for banter is simply because he was once the record fee for a player on a fairly high wage with only a few minor titles for United, not because he behaves better or worse than the other players currently in the team. With big fees come big expectations, even from oppo fans. The fee may not be his fault but that is the way it is.
To clarify…..I get why opposition fans banter us.

Fluctuation0161

I happen to agree with the banter on this occasion, is all. I laugh at it because it is also a joke to me.
Yep.

I also feel the same with the Maguire banter. From gross misconduct while on a holiday abroad during a global pandemic, getting arrested as club captain of Manchester United impeding pre season and his mental weakness, combined with terrible performance, lack of pace and being relegated 4 times (?) In his career, while still being our captain, can only be a joke.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Because we haven't signed proper central and defensive midfielder in years, hoping he is the one. And in reality he is one of our least reliable players in squad when you combine his injury record and stints of poor form/searching for hor his proper position by every single manager so far.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure if this is posted.

They will have been in his ear for a few years. Raiola will have done absolutely nothing to encourage bids from anyone else so there’s no way we could have shifted him these last few years. He’s just sat his contract out waiting for his PSG payday.

Water Melon

Well, no big surprise to see PSG mentioned as Paul's most likely destination. If he does not renew in January, I expect Ralf to put Pogba on the bench and not use him unless he has no alternative whatsoever. Pogba is entitled to run out his contract, whereas we are entitled to concentrate on players who will be with us and our next manager.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
In his 5 and a half years at Man United, Pogba has been injured for 81 games and counting. That’s well over 2 full Premier League seasons worth of matches for which he has been absent.

Please sell him.

Steve 007

Is there actually any other takers for him? I’m hearing a lot of noise about Rudiger, nothing about Pogba. Get the feeling he’ll sign for us at the last minute as no one else wants him on his current salary.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Last summer their fans had banners up saying Pogba isn’t welcome here or something to that effect, if he’s not welcome there with the players they have surely that’s saying something. I think he’ll do better there but he will definitely be yet another weak point in their defence for any proper hungry team playing them in the CL. Press Pogba in his own half and profit.

Wonder if he’ll get fit or if his fitness continues to frustrate? I’d bet anything they are only offering around the same money he’s on now on a long deal but with a big signing fee. Mixed feelings about it. Hes been good on the left but he’s not been the catalyst I expected and it would be good to get those wages off the bill and Mino out but we have so many other players earning way above their performance and fitness grade that it’s going to take years to sort out, not that I think we are even trying to get value at all. It’s way beyond that. We are so far from being well run it’s unreal. Pogba and his situation is just the tip of the iceberg

Devil81

If we keep him now we can expect to on the same road 3 maybe 4 years down the line.

Our club is that much of a mess it seems inevitable he will sign, I also doubt he is going to get what he's asking elsewhere.

hobbers

If we keep him now we can expect to on the same road 3 maybe 4 years down the line.

Our club is that much of a mess it seems inevitable he will sign, I also doubt he is going to get what he's asking elsewhere.
He will get what he's asking from PSG or Real, a huge signing on fee for him and for Raiola.

Steve 007

He will get what he's asking from PSG or Real, a huge signing on fee for him and for Raiola.
Has he done enough for Real or PSG to want him, would he even get in PSG’s team? And if so why hasn’t there been talks, he’s free to sign.
I think they haven’t come in and now he’s shocked and left with us or less wages.

Devil81

Has he done enough for Real or PSG to want him, would he even get in PSG’s team? And if so why hasn’t there been talks, he’s free to sign.
I think they haven’t come in and now he’s shocked and left with us or less wages.
Bingo, exactly what I think as well.

Come on, if we can see he's massively overated then surely other clubs managers and director of footballers can.

He's not getting nowhere near what he's been demanding, the only club stupid enough to give him what the wants will be us.

hobbers

I'm sure there is a lot less interest than he or Raiola would have liked that's for sure.

But it's still one of the most marketable players in the world available for nothing except signing on and agent fees, so it'll come down to whether Raiola's greed prices Pogba out of the market.

Maybe I'm just clutching at straws. But I know if we end up making him the highest paid player at the club we might as well just disband because the precedent it sets will be more than ruinous.