Pogmentary

Stacks

my mate (united fan) was asking who the hell is this meant for? He has spent the whole season injured so its not exactly "the last dance". he compares it to Griezmann antics and concludes Frenchmen are weird.

AshRK

I am glad he is not with the club anymore. One of the most overrated players in the modern times.

el3mel

Ferguson was trying his best to keep him. And José doesn't deserve an apology since he was already in a self-destruct mode at the time, trying to set the place on fire before getting fired himself.

I kinda hate when one thing (Pogba being unprofessional and, in general, a horrible signing) is somehow used either as a confirmation of something that didn't happen (Fergie forcing him out of the club or not being happy with him) or as a post-factum rehabilitation of an equally (if not more) toxic individual that never had club's interests as his first priority.
I'm honestly tired of the "Ferguson tried his best to keep him" reply whenever someone says he was right about him. Ferguson knew he's a good player and would have liked to keep him. No one saying Ferguson thought he was shit so wanted him to leave. He knew has talent, but he thought he disrespected the club during the negotiation process and at the end had no problem with him leaving.

“It’s a bit disappointing because I don’t think he showed us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I’m quite happy that he’s away, from me, anyway.”
It seems like the whole "he tried his best to keep him" is based on Evra's story which is a nothing one. Again, Ferguson knew Pogba had talent and would of course like to have a talented player in his squad. His problem with him was his and his agent attitude during negotiation, which, guess what, is the same current problem.

And even though Ferguson knew Pogba had talent, he very clearly didn't thought he was ready to become a main starter for United in PL hence why he was barely even using him while United had a midfield crisis.

So yeah, Ferguson was still right about him, and people need to separate between evaluating him as a talented player and between his attitude during negotiations with the club which sucks.

romufc

I don't know why this is lost on people - he's not saying 300k is nothing, he's saying the 10k raise from the 290k he was on is nothing.

Putting it in context, its about a 3% increment - I don't think anyone would seriously consider a 3% pay raise as substantial.
A 600k increase per year in pay is nothing?

its like when someone getting paid say 30k gets a pay rise to 35k a year is a 5k increase, they'll actually find it a decent raise but its only £96 a week increase. Context is imperative as you say.

dove

One of the worst signings in history. Won't be missed. Jose was right, he is a virus.

Stadjer

I'm honestly tired of the "Ferguson tried his best to keep him" reply whenever someone says he was right about him. Ferguson knew he's a good player and would have liked to keep him. No one saying Ferguson thought he was shit so wanted him to leave. He knew has talent, but he thought he disrespected the club during the negotiation process and at the end had no problem with him leaving.

It seems like the whole "he tried his best to keep him" is based on Evra's story which is a nothing one. Again, Ferguson knew Pogba had talent and would of course like to have a talented player in his squad. His problem with him was his and his agent attitude during negotiation, which, guess what, is the same current problem.

And even though Ferguson knew Pogba had talent, he very clearly didn't thought he was ready to become a main starter for United in PL hence why he was barely even using him while United had a midfield crisis.

So yeah, Ferguson was still right about him, and people need to separate between evaluating him as a talented player and between his attitude during negotiations with the club which sucks.
I imagine it must be very tiring when someone responds to a untrue claim (the ''Ferguson was right and never wanted Pogba'' narrative) with the truth (that Ferguson did want to keep him and tried very hard to keep him) when you are looking for reason to say something negative about Paul Pogba.

Just stick to the truth, there are enough real reasons that you can use to dislike Pogba and that you can use to say something negative about Pogba. He got slower, his interviews while at the French national team werent nice, he has a lot of injuries lately, his agent/brothers liked to talk about Pogba in the media a bit too much and he never lived up to the (unrealistic) hype/expectations.

clarkydaz

my mate (united fan) was asking who the hell is this meant for? He has spent the whole season injured so its not exactly "the last dance". he compares it to Griezmann antics and concludes Frenchmen are weird.
its for himself

Remember years ago a guy in the Stretford End apparentely 'abused' him by standing up and shouting to him "YOURE ALL ABOUT YOURSELF!"

el3mel

I imagine it must be very tiring when someone responds to a untrue claim (the ''Ferguson was right and never wanted Pogba'' narrative) with the truth (that Ferguson did want to keep him and tried very hard to keep him) when you are looking for reason to say something negative about Paul Pogba.

Just stick to the truth, there are enough real reasons that you can use to dislike and that you can use to say something negative about Pogba. He got slower, his interviews while at the French national team werent nice, he has a lot of injuries lately, his agent/brothers liked to talk about Pogba in the media a bit too much and he never lived up to the (unrealistic) hype/expectations.
It's not the truth when you're not even replying to the actual claim. Ferguson wanted to keep him because he knew he's a talented player, but when him and his agent disrespected the club during the negotiations he had no problem letting him go. That's the truth. No one is saying Ferguson didn't want to keep him because he thought he's a shit player, of course he had talent and of course he would like to keep talented players in the squad, that's not really the point here.

And again, the entire response on this point is, what, Evra's story ? I'm yet to see any other response on this claim than this one, that he sent Evra to his house to convince him to stay, anything ? That's literally a nothing story, and doesn't change anything from what is said above. He knew he's a good player, he knew it would have been better if a good player stayed at the club, but his attitude during negotiation left him happy he left, as showed by the quote I posted above.

And again, with all that talk about Ferguson "trying his best for him to stay", he was barely playing him despite United's injury crisis in midfield in this season.

But what, Evra said he sent him to his home to convince him to stay, enough evidence that Ferguson was desperate to keep him even while him disrespecting the club.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
The fact him and Lingard are gone from the club is massive, also good that we're trying to feck off Dean Henderson

There's only one self-entitled, egoistical brat we have remaining in the club from post-Fergie era, hope we are quick to ship him if the umpteenth fresh start again isn't enough

GazTheLegend

This is something I was thinking about earlier today and didn't post yet, ironically. I always felt that when Mino took Pogba to Juventus, he made a deal with both that club and Pog to turn him into something he wasn't simply by marketing him the world over. I always found it strange all the random quotes that came out online or in the mainstream media from (better) Juventus players at the time, and the whole media fawning over everything he did for France at the expense of other, more quietly effective players (like I'd argue Giroud for instance). It had Mino Raiola's handwriting all over it, Zlatan style. It FELT like a brand being built, and that brand was one Manchester United paid so much many for in the end, instead of a football player. And thus did it continue onward to present, Pogba the "brand". It's insufferable to us as fans that have seen what a brand actually means on the pitch - it started with TC23 and Jlingz. All ego, zero substance.

clarkydaz

This is something I was thinking about earlier today and didn't post yet, ironically. I always felt that when Mino took Pogba to Juventus, he made a deal with both that club and Pog to turn him into something he wasn't simply by marketing him the world over. I always found it strange all the random quotes that came out online or in the mainstream media from (better) Juventus players at the time, and the whole media fawning over everything he did for France at the expense of other, more quietly effective players (like I'd argue Giroud for instance). It had Mino Raiola's handwriting all over it, Zlatan style. It FELT like a brand being built, and that brand was one Manchester United paid so much many for in the end, instead of a football player. And thus did it continue onward to present, Pogba the "brand". It's insufferable to us as fans that have seen what a brand actually means on the pitch - it started with TC23 and Jlingz. All ego, zero substance.
He is the epitome of the Woodward regime. Fitting they leave same season, hopefully end of an era

Ted Lasso

That quote basically confirms what many of us assumed for the majority of his time here; he was only interested in boosting his bank account and celebrity status.
Nothing wrong with that. But that's not what this club is about. This fits Woodwards Disney land theme. Glad they're both gone.

Ted Lasso

He was right about a lot of things, but he was a disaster himself too.

We didn't get peak Jose. We got the washed-up version.
Chicken or the egg. Could Jose have done better if his £80 M was spent on players not named Pogba?

The Original

A 600k increase per year in pay is nothing?

its like when someone getting paid say 30k gets a pay rise to 35k a year is a 5k increase, they'll actually find it a decent raise but its only £96 a week increase. Context is imperative as you say.
Actually, it's much more like when a person earning 30k gets 1k more.

He's on 14 million a year...I don't think an extra 600k is comparatively that much.

Ted Lasso

I don't know why this is lost on people - he's not saying 300k is nothing, he's saying the 10k raise from the 290k he was on is nothing.

Putting it in context, its about a 3% increment - I don't think anyone would seriously consider a 3% pay raise as substantial.
A 3% raise for someone that should be on a PIP is incredible.

redmanx

Yes, but that just shows him chasing money, if the Monaco plaything worked the way it was meant to, no doubt he'd be heading there for tax reason.

Fact is Juve offering him 8m would be like United and other clubs having to offer around 16m - and for a player like Pogba, that was never going to happen.
I care nothing for Juve but I think theyve mad a mistake in Pogba; in one of his most recent outpourings he claims he was waiting for United to offer him a new contract, by which he means more money, and it seems that money is Pogbas be all and end all; medals, trophies, cups, forget them he wants cash and would probably play for anyone if the price was right. But, if Juve have fxxxed up at least theyve taken this over rated, self obsessed under performing twat off our hands.

Giggsyking

Just stick to the truth, there are enough real reasons that you can use to dislike Pogba and that you can use to say something negative about Pogba. He got slower, his interviews while at the French national team werent nice, he has a lot of injuries lately, his agent/brothers liked to talk about Pogba in the media a bit too much and he never lived up to the (unrealistic) hype/expectations.
He is not wrong though. SAF wanted him to stay, but he did not fight hard (giving him everything he wants) to keep him. He was happy to let him go. Otherwise SAF could have easily promised him minutes the next season. But SAF told him there are no guarantees.

Kag

Not exactly doing himself any favours, is he? You’d think this sort of shit would be beneath top level football players, but perhaps it’s just the start. All a bit unbecoming.

Ted Lasso

Just watched the trailer. What I'm seeing is the current evolution of social media and entertainment - 15 minutes of fame for anyone, where good marketing and brand management trumps content. It has elevated an ordinary player into memelord.

He's basically football's Kim Kardashian. In this case famous for turning away Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United - his sextape moment - and then creating a whole brand around rising above criticism by being likable, trendy and forever a victim of shade from haters.

I honestly think he's wasted his potential and talent more than someone like Ronaldinho who cut his years at the top short. Can't help but also feel pity that he didn't have better advisors at a young age.

Is he a product of society changing or predatory managers/agents?

Ludens the Red

I have no expectation for the season ahead, no excitement, nothing, a really cold feeling towards the club but seeing those comments and knowing this cnut has left the club gives me small satisfaction.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Reminds me of the story about Ashley Cole saying he almost swerved off the road when he found out Arsenal were only offering him £55k per week instead of the £60k he asked for. :lol:

The difference of course being that Ashley Cole was easily worth the money.

MuFc_1992

I really don't see how his off field antics and our on field struggles are related. He's struggled here mostly because he's an undisciplined player being made to play in 2 man midfield as well as his injury issues. Those struggles would still be there if he didn't have an Instagram account and normal hairstyle. No denying that he's been a huge disappointment here but we'll be missing the point if we place blame on superficial stuff for his failures.

RuudTom83

I think people are going to react more to quotes taken from the documentary (and used in articles) than watching the documentary themselves.

I just don’t have a big enough interest in Pogba to watch an hour programme on him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's gone and there are still two threads on him glued to the front page. I hope we move on, I really couldn't be arsed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's gone and there are still two threads on him glued to the front page. I hope we move on, I really couldn't be arsed.
Nah, his threads are getting bumped a lot this season, no matter what. Even if he plays the same for Juve this time as he did for us, we'll still have "should have paid him the money" posts when he has his good game every three months.

And he could quite easily play a lot better there than he did here, both because he'll actually be motivated, and because he'll probably just look better is Serie A anyway. No matter how well he ends up doing, that wouldn't have been the player we'd have got had we forked out £400k per week or whatever the feck figure isn't "nothing" - we'd have had the same player we had for the last six years.

Someone

Something
The biggest mistake the club made with Pogba was not forcing him out earlier. Allowing players to run down their contracts is something I'll never understand.