Gaming Pokémon Go (Android, iOS)

C.M.P

2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner
Any of these bad boys any good

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I can't find it on iOS
Need to change it to an american app store. Instructions on google are quite straight forward.

----

The rustling grass, does that mean a pokemon is at that spot? I was walking down a cycle track before and every time I was getting closer, it kept moving back a space :lol:

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
So, i've ended up getting this now. The map looks a bit empty, might see some change when i walk round the corner in a minute or two.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've caught a couple Pokemon but I've still not figured out when to throw the ball.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've caught a couple Pokemon but I've still not figured out when to throw the ball.
I think the smaller the green circle is the better chance of capturing it. Fling the ball towards the pokemon's head. That's what I've been doing and it seems to work

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I didn't even realise timing was a factor! I thought it was to do with how fast I swiped and where I took my finger off the screen.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Okay, copied the gym battle part of the reddit guide. I'm going to highlight the things I didn't know / wasn't sure about

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/4sb6zk/how_do_i_megathread_part_5/

Gym Battles

How do I battle a gym? You go near a gym and click the battle icon (boxing gloves) on the bottom right. You get 6 of your pokemon to take down as many pokemon as you can. You must stay in the vicinty of the gym to continue battling it (unlike pokemon encouunters because as long as you tap the pokemon in time, you stay in battle with it). Gym battles are in "real time", like a fighting game. Gym battles are NOT turn based.

How do I attack? You tap to use your basic attack (the first move listed on your pokemon's info). Once a blue bar is filled you hold down to use your special attack (the second move listed on your pokemon's info). Seems like using a special move locks you in the animation. Note that different pokemon have different attack speeds and different moves have different recharge bars.

How do I dodge? You swipe left or right. It's used to dodge special attacks (which completely negates the move). The opposing pokemon will have a small windup animation when they are using the special move. High base power moves are worth attempting to dodge, such as flamethrower. If someone has more insight on dodging feel free to leave a comment.

How do I swap pokemon during combat? The up and down arrow icon on the bottom right. However, since the battle is in real time, swapping shoudn't be done. It's best to simply order your pokemon before the battle begins.

How do I swap pokemon before the battle begins? Once the list of pokemon pops up after pressing the boxing glove icon, you can tap a pokemon. This will bring you to your entire list of current pokemon you have.

Can I use items mid battle? No.

In what order do I battle the gym's pokemon in? Lowest to highest. Swipe left/right to see the line up of the gym.

What are prestiges? Prestige is the gym level. For every gym level, one additional pokemon from the same faction of the gym owner can be added.

Can I battle gyms from my own faction? Yes, but you only get 1 pokemon to train/increase the prestige of the gym.

How do I increase gym prestige? You can only increase gym prestige if the owner is in the same faction as you. You get one pokemon to defeat as many pokemon as you can. The lower CP you have on your pokemon vs the gym's pokemon yields more exp. Your pokemon will only be lowered to 1HP if you lose. However, prestige only goes up if you can take down at least one pokemon.

Increasing gym (prestige, sic) is painfully slow. What gives? When you increase prestige, it's best to defeat the gym with similar CP levels or, if you can, lower CP levels than the pokemon in the gym. If a gym has 3 pokemon. A level 150 staryu , a level 550 flareon, and a level 700 jolteon, that will be tough to kill with a single pokemon. Using a high CP pokemon won't gain you very many points so it'd be best to take attempt to take out just the 150 staryu with a bulbasaur.

Why can't I add a pokemon to a friendly gym? All spots are already occupied. Bring the gym up a prestige and there should be a spot for an additional pokemon. (bottom left)

There is an open spot on a friendly gym but the pokemon I want to add is greyed out. What gives? To add a defending pokemon, it must be full hp.

I added a pokemon as a defender of a gym. When will I get my pokemon back? The pokemon will only be returned once the pokemon (not the gym) is defeated. They come back at 1hp back into your party. Pokemon are kicked from gyms from lowest to highest CP. Defending pokemon cannot have any action performed on them.

The opposing pokemon is stuck at 1HP. What do I do?
Wait a couple of moments and pray that the server returns back to normal. If not, you need to restart the app. There's a chance that turning on/off airplane mode, clearing cache, and clearing data may fix the problem but as of now, nothing is 100% confirmed.

How do I take over an opposing faction's gym? You have to get the prestige to 0. The gym will become neutral and you can then place your pokemon in the gym. Be warned though, a neutral gym means it's open for grabs. Someone may beat you to placing a defender on the gym!

Do I get exp for fighting gyms? Yes.

How can I be the "leader" of the gym? You must have the highest CP pokemon. This doesn't really serve any purpose.

Where do I collect my defender bonus? You open up shop and click the green shield icon on the top right. You get 10 coins and 500 stardust per gym you defend at the current time you tap the icon. You can only receive these bonuses every 21 hours.

My pokemon are way too weak in my area I live. How do I take down the gym? You can gather other people to attack the gym simultaneously.

What's the highest gym level? (not confirmed) The maximum gym prestige is 10 and every prestige allows for one more defending pokemon.

Which of my pokemon should I leave in the gym? It's up to you. If you're looking for quick coins, you can place any pokemon you have and quickly take your coins. However this will make taking down the gym a lot easier. Leaving one of your stronger pokemons will actually help defend the gym but you may need your stronger pokemon for taking down other gyms.

Can I add more than one Pokemon to a specific gym? No, you get to leave one defending pokemon per gym you are a part of.

Can I defend a gym that is being attacked by a different faction? Yes, but it's much easier to bring down prestige than it is to bring it up.

Why are there tornadoes/lightning bolts at a gym I see on my radar? The gym is currently under attack.

How do people keep taking down my gyms so quickly? Lowering presitge is EXPONENTIALLY easier than increasing it. An opposing faction attacking a gym may lower prestige by the thousands while a friendly faction can only increase prestige in by the several hundreds. If you've taken over a gym, accept the fact that it's bound to go down soon.
So it looks like that the gyms may not have beeen lost for blue team, only my pokemon knocked out.

Training montage!!!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I read if you hold the ball, then the green circle gets smaller. You have to throw it in the green circle, if you get it in when it's small, you get more points. Apparently you can do curve balls too and it gets more XP? Probably with higher level pokemon you need to be more precise to have a better chance, at the start it goes whenever basically.

rcoobc

I wouldnt bother with curve balls, you only get 10 xp? Unless you need to learn it to help catch high level pokemon

TheSamulator

How slow are you walking mate?
:lol:

I didn't get a chance to see any Pokemon's cos i closed the app and when i went to open it again i get stuck at that Gyrados loading screen and eventually it says 'failed to get player information from the server' and the only option is to hit retry which hasn't worked so far. Good fun tbh

TheSamulator

Just got back into it and got through to a screen telling me 'Our servers are experiencing issues. Please come back later' Awesome.

rcoobc

Right, looks like im stopping at a local village tomorrow on the way to work. What is happening.

This is definitely a game where you need to work in a team. :(

bosnian_red

Do you guys use your incense while stationary or on the move?
I used one to try it last night at my house, got a few pokemon come to me but they were all shite and low level since I only got it last night. Probably better if you are on the move and keep your phone on the whole 30 minutes as you would attract everything from different areas.

TheSamulator

I have two gyms really quite near me and 3 Pokestops near too. I looked at the Pokestops in the app and like 2 of them i never knew were things that were in this town, a war memorial and some community centre thing. The other one is a church that's almost across the road from me :)

rcoobc

I'm tempted to go to my park and have a scout lol, pitch black right now but with the incense there, I just wanna use it :lol:
Yeah, I've had a Mankey and a Seal turn up on my pokemon near me thing.

But think I'm going to go to bed and come back to this tomorrow morning early

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
well it was a wasted journey....Used the incense and the servers went down. Either that or it just lost connection, although it did say I had full signal...
Tried putting a Pokemon in a Gym, and it seemed to do it, but apparently it hasn't :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Just got back from another walk about half an hour ago, caught a Zubat and Pidgey. I need to get me some data, stopping to find wifi networks is annoying.

bosnian_red

The closest pokemon gym to me is incidentaally the closest actual gym :lol:
Unfortunately I have a membership at a different one.... might need a transfer

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Almost ran over some fat twat who walked out in front of me, on his phone playing this radge fecking game. Sad cnut.

Golden Nugget

only just got this, but there's nothing around after getting Charmander. When I press nearby it's an empty list.

Is there a point in keeping the app open if that's the case?