[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters
He was bloody naive against Klopp in the EL. No thanks, atleast not until he proves himself. PSG have the players to keep themselves in healthy competition even if he fails, we don't have Neymar or Mbappe.

I get the idea we should look for a progressive manager, but some amount of winning experience is desirable. Jardim fits the bill, though Zidane is likely.
Madrid couldn't beat Tuchels Dortmund side over 2 legs in the CL - they also got to the quarter finals of the CL. He's a very good coach

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm incredibly curious to know who we'll eventually get. I couldn't place a bet on who I think is even 40% likely to be our next man.

Giggsyking

we have reached a point of no return. When we see the players play like that, its even the manager is doing nothing in training or the players do not trust him anymore and in both cases he should go. I dont think JM has the personality to turn things over anymore, he is a shadow of himself, not the Jose of 2005.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I'd honestly rather see Carrick take over for the season than let this circus continue. There's clearly huge issues at the club between the manager and several other key people and it's going to end in tears. We're not going to get near City with or without Jose this season so let's just pull the plug now and be done with it. Get rid of the one causing all the issues and let's bring some positivity back. Then make Poch an offer he can't refuse for next season and maybe just maybe we could be heading in the right direction again.

Kammy26

I don’t want Zidane, I don’t think he plays the kind of football united fans ar craving.

Poch would be ideal but I can’t help but feel he is Madrid bound when I he leaves spurs.

I would like us to take a chance on Jardim.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I would be okay with literally anybody who makes an effort to play attacking football on a consistent basis. So sick of Mourinho

Bwuk

Zidane but with a DoF in place.

Zidane would get the best out of Pogba.

Fosu-Mens

I'd honestly rather see Carrick take over for the season than let this circus continue. There's clearly huge issues at the club between the manager and several other key people and it's going to end in tears. We're not going to get near City with or without Jose this season so let's just pull the plug now and be done with it. Get rid of the one causing all the issues and let's bring some positivity back. Then make Poch an offer he can't refuse for next season and maybe just maybe we could be heading in the right direction again.
Pochettino would be ideal, and only way i can see this happening is if he has a fallout with Levy.
Another thing that would be ideal is a DoF and get Woodward away from anything football related at this club. He can watch the games, but nothing more.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's absolutely hilarious seeing Simeone at the 2nd place. I can even bet most of the people who voted for him are the most vocal about our shit style of play under Jose.
I'm 'pro Jose' and would love to see Simeone at United. The job he's done at Atletico is incredible and I honestly believe he would build something special here too. There's a reason why the likes of Saul, Koke and Griezmann have turned down chances to go to the biggest clubs in the world and committed to stay with Simeone at Atletico long term. He's the best manager in the world in my eyes.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm 'pro Jose' and would love to see Simeone at United. The job he's done at Atletico is incredible and I honestly believe he would build something special here too. There's a reason why the likes of Saul, Koke and Griezmann have turned down chances to go to the biggest clubs in the world and committed to stay with Simeone at Atletico long term. He's the best manager in the world in my eyes.
Simeone is modern day Jose basically. Shit football but can build a team of warriors to grind out results with an excellent defense. Mourinho these days cant even get his team to defend well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Simeone or Zidane would work for me. I was a strong Jose proponent but it seems he is simply no longer the Jose of old and doesn't seem to have the aptitude to reclaim the best elements of that Jose.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’d honestly take Eddie Howe right now. That’s how much I crave any sort of positive football.

deafepl

Guardiola and Zidane worked out alright.
Depending on coaching, Guardiola and Zidane get best out of their player, Zidane is very good tactically, adapting depend on their opposition and Guardiola has a style of play identity. Giggs doesn't, I have seen his wale performance against countries from the Americas, it is more awful than us, didn't trouble their opposition goalkeeper and hardly shot on target.

Rolaholic

A DOF really needs to be sorted out before they start reaching out to any managers in my opinion.

It would let the money people (Ed and co) handle the business stuff and the coaches handle the coaching while the DOF is in charge of recruitment and finding the right fits for whatever long term plan they have for the club.

Any new manager would struggle under the current structure of the club, we need to get away from the reactionary and myopic thinking that has become the norm recently and set the conditions for a manager to succeed first before bringing someone else in.

If they do decide to eventually part way with Jose, which looks more likely after each week, wholesale changes are needed instead of half-assing it like has been the case since Fergie left. The whole set up at the club needs to be drastically altered and brought into the modern game.

The current,outdated model has run it's course the same way the manager seemingly has as well

slir32

Need Zidane in now it's really not going to get any better. How can we create frak all chances with quality on the pitch such as Pogba, Martial, Lukaku etc.

JK-27

Amused by people calling for Zidane. He won 3 CL's yes, but he was poor in the league. He's also quite inexperienced, he has only managed Real and had a an unbelievable squad he inherited, and wasn't a great man manager if you believe the reports of unrest in the squad. He's done nothing to prove he can turn a club around.

Eddy_JukeZ

Amused by people calling for Zidane. He won 3 CL's yes, but he was poor in the league. He's also quite inexperienced, he has only managed Real and had a an unbelievable squad he inherited, and wasn't a great man manager if you believe the reports of unrest in the squad. He's done nothing to prove he can turn a club around.
The only season he was poor in the league was his 3rd.

Re: the bold, he did turn Real around after they were struggling with Benitez.

What reports of unrest?

2E_MUFC

Yeah it’s amusing that we would want Zidane....

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
That list for the poll includes plenty of unattainable managers and then some pretty suspect options.

Out of those that may be attainable who is there besides Jardim who's won one league title (?) and Zizou who has only ever managed world class players?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Not given up on Jose. If I had to choose?...Poch and bring Eriksen with him
Not sure Pochettino is the answer or that his style would fit in with Woody. As stated earlier you cross Pochettino you are gone, he is quite ruthless about this having some Spurs players he decided were a bad influence not even train with the first team but with the reserves instead. He's had arguably the best CB in the league on the bench because he wont sign a new contract and is moving forward with Sanchez. Spurs brought in a bunch of players Poch has since discarded like Janssen, N'Kodu, Wimmer, N'jie. This mentality wouldnt fly if it was a Woody investment player like Martial as we see with Jose.

I think the brand of football he brings would be what the fans want, not too sure of his pedigree having won nothing or if his style would fit in with a team heavily infuenced by Woody. We would end up in the same boat with Pochettino wanting rid of players and Woody refusing to part with his investments. Which would lead us right to where we are now, unhappy manager with unhappy players.

PvsNP

Our board made a statement this summer by not backing Mourinho fully in the transfer market. That tells me that the decision has already been made to sack him, but not until we have a DoF in place.

Our board made a statement this summer by not backing Mourinho fully in the transfer market. That tells me that the decision has already been made to sack him, but not until we have a DoF in place.
If that's the case the DOF will probably choose our new head coach

SpyLuke10

How can we play decent football mate, genuinely asking?

We have zero CB's that can start our attacks. Our full back choices end up with the perma crock - Shaw and a converted winger, slash left back, slash right back who also can't help our build up from the back.

We didn't buy RW, cause the board vetoed it. You still have Martial who only our fans think he's world beater, yet once again against mediocre opposition he has shown his true value.

Jose doesn't trust his CB's it's clear as day, which makes us play negative football. And who is to blame him, after what we saw today how we can trust them?

Smalling and Jones are actually even worse than Lindelof and Bailly and I'm not even joking. Not to mention Jones unable to stay fit for more than two weeks..

The board doesn't trust Jose, better both part ways.
Smalling is much better than Lindelof.

SpyLuke10

Let's just stick with Mourinho till the end of the season, then we can assess how the season went at that point. In the meantime, bring in a director of football. United is a club which backs its managers, Jose WILL be here for the season. For him to not be here then we'd need to have some sort of calamity go on where we are sitting at 13th around Christmas or something like that.

If we have a good season, keep Jose and back him properly in the transfer window, hopefully having a director of football helps a lot for doing this. If we are somewhat dissatisfied with the season and we don't challenge for anything then I think we bring in a new head coach in replacing Jose Mourinho, someone with a vision in line with the director of football and club's.

Post name should be changed to hypothetical next head coach after...

The_Order

Would have said Poch as well except he's won nought.

I do like his style and feel with United's resources would get more out of this squad than Jose currently.

Hamadovich86

Cant understand why some would want Simone, hes a top manager but his style of football is dirty and defensive as hell. Hes Mourinho on crack basically.

Personally I would like to see Jardim, he has a specific style of football that I loved watching, hes reaching CL semi finals and won the Ligue 1 against PSG. Poch would be my next choice but I cant see why he would come to us tbh. Lastly theres Zidane, my reservation on him is can he do with players who are not Cristiano and below world class level. Tactically there are still some doubts about him and how he would adapt to the PL.

Knowing Woodward he would go for Zidane without a doubt but hopefully we have a DOF in place to guide the selection process for the next manager.

tonnas

If any manager was available..
1. Pep
2. Pochettino
3. Simeone
4. Zizou
5. Allegri

not sure about tuchel and Nagelsmann (still too young). Other managers like Howe, Silva are too much of a gamble!

forevrared

I think Poch is our best bet - to me he's the manager in modern football who most reminds me of Sir Alex. He's unlikely however, as he just signed a 5 year contract extension a few months ago and Levy would die before releasing him from his contract to join United.

I'd also been a fan of Julian Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim, but he's already been hired by RB Leipzig for next season.

Simeone and Jardim I think are very talented as well, but I'm not sure how either would adapt to England.

In the end, I have no idea.

The_Order

Not given up on Jose. If I had to choose?...Poch and bring Eriksen with him
Really ?

After 2 years of having professional footballers look like strangers who just met up on a Sunday for a kick about.

I like Jose but he can't make us tick. It's getting painful to watch.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can we please remove 'hypothetical' from the thread title now please!

deafepl

I think our squad except the fullbacks would have enough powers to dominate against and crush team if we were managed by the likes of Poch as our midfield is a lot better than their, attacking depth is stronger than their with the exception of Kane. Ideally, we'll be going for young DM, fullbacks and RW but may be likely to break the record for CB over 60m so that we can become proper contenders title for UCL and EPL as well.

Greck

Annoying that 3 of the managers I'd have loved here are now managing City, Liverpool and Chelsea, the other manager I'd love and initially wanted back in 2013 has signed a new contract at Spurs, and we're stuck with a manager I never wanted here.

I wish we'd have gone for Tuchel and pulled the trigger on José this year. I still have to say Poch, though. Even if there's hardly a chance of it happening.
This is how you know we're not run by smart individuals. We've let the best fits for us go to rival clubs. They extended Jose's contract only to fall out with him months later. What was the point of the extension? They only added one year to his current deal. Chelsea now look like they may start playing some beautiful stuff so we could soon add them to the growing list of rivals whose football we get to envy every week. Poch signed a new deal. The time to have started guaging his interest in the job would have been before that. Good luck getting him from Levy now

Last edited:

doomy20

If this "not backing him, not made funds available cause he will be sacked anyway" talk is true, it is absolutely necessary that the board is already in contact with his possible successor, Zidane for example. Given the current state of the team, the board needs to prepare something. But hey, i guess they will wait and do nothing until we go out in the CL group stages and are 5th in the league, 16 points behind City before they start thinking.