[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Varun

Staff
Would be happy with any of Sarri, Poch or Jardim.

Seeing Giggs, Neville and Steve fecking Bruce mentioned here did cheer me up though :lol:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'd honestly rather see Carrick take over for the season than let this circus continue. There's clearly huge issues at the club between the manager and several other key people and it's going to end in tears. We're not going to get near City with or without Jose this season so let's just pull the plug now and be done with it. Get rid of the one causing all the issues and let's bring some positivity back. Then make Poch an offer he can't refuse for next season and maybe just maybe we could be heading in the right direction again.
Not picking on this post as it is one of many calling for Carrick to step in.

Though I can understand much of the frustration aimed at Mou here, this is just not realistic, I'm not sure he even has his pro licence yet (he certainly didn't back in May when Mou said he could eventually be assistant manager) Giggs has more experience and he has been pretty solidly dismissed already in this thread.

At the moment there is no one out there that you could realistically get and I'd be amazed if Utd sacked Jose after a full transfer window and two games.

People need to be patient, with Sanchez returning and the kick up the backside that the Brighton game gave that team the results and the mood will quickly change.

Thrusting Carrick into the managers seat would be madness!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not picking on this post as it is one of many calling for Carrick to step in.

Though I can understand much of the frustration aimed at Mou here, this is just not realistic, I'm not sure he even has his pro licence yet (he certainly didn't back in May when Mou said he could eventually be assistant manager) Giggs has more experience and he has been pretty solidly dismissed already in this thread.

At the moment there is no one out there that you could realistically get and I'd be amazed if Utd sacked Jose after a full transfer window and two games.

People need to be patient, with Sanchez returning and the kick up the backside that the Brighton game gave that team the results and the mood will quickly change.

Thrusting Carrick into the managers seat would be madness!
Sanchez returning is what worries me most. He's one of the biggest issues we have. Chris Smalling has scored more goals than he has since he signed.

Jose has lost the players. That was evident on Sunday. Anyone can lose a PL away game but it was the way we lost. No fight at all in that second half. The season is going to be a disaster and we'll sack him when it's too late as they did at Chelsea.

red thru&thru

It's not easy as some people think, putting Carrick in charge. More likely than not, he wouldn't be able to cope. His confidence would be severely dented Reputation tarnished. Players confidence in bim, as a coach, would be affected.

Having the likes of Giggs & Neville mentioned is just a romantic notion, not a pragmatic one.

Bring in Poch

LoneStar

Hijack Pep from City, with Klopp as assistant. Therby solving Pep's weakness to Klopp as well.

But honestly, can't see a lot of good managers available at the moment. Probably Zidane, Poch and Jardim. None of them are certain to win anything, but the football will be better.

The Red Thinker

I have already said it... but I'll say it again. Leonardo Jardim!

He is everything we need.

• He's an attacking manager.
  • Tactically astute as shown with his exploits in Ligue 1 and the Champions League
  • He plays an evolved 4-4-2
  • He has a phenomenal eye for talent
  • He believes in academy talent progression
  • He is a winner! Won in a league where PSG outspends them 10:1

This man is exactly what we need. He would bring back the flair and fire that we have been renowned for, for 60 years.

Craig Ward

I've been saying it for a while, but Pochetino is perfect for us.

I'd have even took him over Mourinho before we hired him.

Poch:
Experience of the league
Promotes youth
Makes players better
Adaptable tactics
Easy on the eye football.

I genuinely think Poch would suit us, he's young and hungry and ready for the step up to a bigger club like us. Spurs are a big club, but we're a notch up and I think he's done all he can at Spurs at this point.

Think of how he has developed:
Alli/Kane/Walker/Trippier/Eriksen/Winks etc

And just imagine how he could progress the likes of Shaw/Rashford/Martial/Perieria etc

Now I know the players he has at Spurs are ALREADY good players, but he's got them playing a style of football that is attacking and he does instill confidence in them. They've certainly all got better under his management.

Jose has stagnated a lot of our players, made them worse even

simplyared

Can see myself getting slated for this but I really do see this man as the perfect fit for our team at this moment in time.
Future Real Madrid manager, if we don't get him.
Yes I know he fecked up at Everton but I think that can be seen as an invaluable experience and he'll learn from that.
The man is ready for a top job!

Dong Fangzhuo

Maybe so. But Conte does have previous experience with Pogba and he's the only good manager currently out of a job that could come into work immediately.

Everyone clamoring for Pochettino, but I'm not sure if he'll jump at the opportunity given the multi-year extension he's got from Levy.
Agree on Poch. He got my vote but getting him from Spurs would be difficult even next summer and absolutely impossible midseason.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Can see myself getting slated for this but I really do see this man as the perfect fit for our team at this moment in time.
Yes I know he fecked up at Everton but I think that can be seen as an invaluable experience and he'll learn from that.
Nope. Needs to actually prove he can sort a defence out at club level first.

AlwaysRed66

Anyone mention Biesla yet?

The way things usually go, Biesla will probably leave Leeds in a couple of months about the time Mourinho goes into full 3rd season meltdown.

Biesla will then get our team playing fantastic football for 18months before they all break down from the intensity.
Many of them seem to have broken down from our limited intensity already this season. I agree though Biesla would be a ride, even for a few months.

Janson

Sanchez returning is what worries me most. He's one of the biggest issues we have. Chris Smalling has scored more goals than he has since he signed.

Jose has lost the players. That was evident on Sunday. Anyone can lose a PL away game but it was the way we lost. No fight at all in that second half. The season is going to be a disaster and we'll sack him when it's too late as they did at Chelsea.
You made the conclusion that he lost the players after one bad game?

AlwaysRed66

No, I can see his merits to. Think he got unfairly slated at Everton, when his successor spent a fortune & still got them in the relegation zone. Also, to all those negative about Poch winning anything. This guy actually has won a trophy over here.

MUFC OK

Pochettino's Tottenham are the closest thing to Uniteds side in the 90's currently out there. They have a core of young English players, some from their academy, they have a consistent XI, play good football and have been competitive despite a shoestring budget.

In honesty, Poch is the ideal fit for United I firmly believe he'd get the likes of Marital and Pogba performing and there would be far less of a media circus around us, he'd be my choice.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I have already said it... but I'll say it again. Leonardo Jardim!

He is everything we need.

• He's an attacking manager.
  • Tactically astute as shown with his exploits in Ligue 1 and the Champions League
  • He plays an evolved 4-4-2
  • He has a phenomenal eye for talent
  • He believes in academy talent progression
  • He is a winner! Won in a league where PSG outspends them 10:1

This man is exactly what we need. He would bring back the flair and fire that we have been renowned for, for 60 years.
1. He isn't an attacking manager, he is very pragmatic.
2. He is a tactically astute and it's a great trait for a pragmatic coach.
3. He doesn't really play a 4-4-2, he did it one season otherwise his teams will play in 433, 4231 or 4222.
4. He has nothing to do with talent spotting, Monaco is one of the clubs that purchase players and the head coach coach them. In fact in France the term manager is rarely used because we don't have them, we have coaches(entraineur).
5. He doesn't have any choice that's Monaco's philosophy.

Mainoldo

I’d take Martinez until the end of the season. What else is he doing in his spare time. Atleast we’d get good football until the end of the season.

Seven Seas Sardines

No, I can see his merits to. Think he got unfairly slated at Everton, when his successor spent a fortune & still got them in the relegation zone. Also, to all those negative about Poch winning anything. This guy actually has won a trophy over here.
I’d take Martinez until the end of the season. What else is he doing in his spare time. Atleast we’d get good football until the end of the season.
Looking forward to another 5 years of Fellaini?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
And what about Frank Rijkaard??

He has talent, class and skills with primadonnas. Legend as a player and a very successful run in Barcelona as a manager. Favours attacking football and possession yet not tiki-taka obsessed. Even managed to reach the CL semis in his worst year, giving 07-08 Man Utd a run for their money.

It amazes me that he faded into obscurity after the '00s.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You made the conclusion that he lost the players after one bad game?
Nah he's been losing them since the Sevilla game. Anyone with a brain can see the issues predate this season.

Also as I said it wasn't the fact we lost at Brighton. It was how we lost. That second half showed absolutely no fight whatsoever and Brighton were comfortable. 3-2 flattered us massively.

Jose got to go. He's not the guy for us. We went to Brighton to contain and hit on the counter. That's unacceptable.

redIndianDevil

And what about Frank Rijkaard??

He has talent, class and skills with primadonnas. Legend as a player and a very successful run in Barcelona as a manager. Favours attacking football and possession yet not tiki-taka obsessed. Even managed to reach the CL semis in his worst year, giving 07-08 Man Utd a run for their money.

It amazes me that he faded into obscurity after the '00s.
May be because just like LvG, he has been left behind.

ErranMorad

Like what?
Like Martial wanting out in the summer.
The whole transfer debacle.
Jose general demeanor during the summer tour.
Pogba's vague philosophical ramblings and consistent Barca links.
Our appalling performance in the Brighton game.
Jose's statement about not criticizing players because the media doesn't like it.

It's not hard to figure out that things are not rosy.

Wayne's World

Has to be Poch or Zidane for me while I'd give Jardim an outside chance. I can see him staying at Monaco for another while yet since they have started this season well and brought in new fresh talent to the club, like Golovin.

I find it hard for people to want Conte though, he's style of football isn't attacking at all and I'm pretty much fed of these pragmatic managers so he's a big no no for me. Giggs the same until he goes and proves himself but I'd be shocked If he does.

Julian Nagelsmann would have been an really interesting choice for me but I have seen he's joined Leipzig after this season which is a shame because he has a big future ahead, even though he's quite young at 31. He'll be a future Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern manager.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It cost us £8m to get rid of LVG (with a year left). Sacking Mourinho any time soon I'd guess would easily cost us £20m+. It's not going to happen.

Woziak

We have already taken far too many risks in our last 3 Management appointments!
  • David Moyes, never actually won anything but had experience of the PL but United was simply far to big a gig for his limited talents.
  • LVG won everything but never managed in the PL and was found out by the pace of the game. His sideways boring pragmatic style resulting in less than 50 goals scored in a pl campaign sent us into Meltdown.
  • Jose Mourinho has won everything and understood the PL, it looked like we finally got it right if only but for a short term. Jose at his imperial best, the version from 2004 to 2011 charmed and seduced the media, Housewives everwhere became interrested in football, he knew how to win Ugly, or by playing attractive football or even dare I say it 'parking the bus'. He just knew how to win! He would never have managed Inter or Madrid from a Hotel room for 2 and half years! Unfortunately, we recruited him after that Chelsea meltdown and he's never been the same since. Now he's angry, not settled and the one thing you would bank on with him is to know his best 11 week in week out!
For those reasons above, we need to take our time and make the right decision. We need a 5 to 7 year plan, but before we recruite a new Head Coach, because that's what his title will be, the club first needs to find a New Director of Football.

Jose should be given until the season unless he loses 5 or 6 games before Christmas then the position is simply untenable but this time we really need to get it right and the Following;
  • A Director of Football who understands the Club and has an affinity to attract players that play the United Way plus he or she can spot huge talents early in their career paths. In other words they need to have played the game at the highest level.
  • A modern Head Coach aged 47 to 54 that speaks English, that understands and has preferably managed in the PL.
  • A Coach that promotes Youth and improves the players.
  • A Winner of major trophies as a player and a coach and has managed and succeeded at a European Elite Club.
When you break it down, it presents a much bigger headache than just going and getting a Pochetinno or a Zidane. The new Head Coach would have to work with a new DOF, something Pochetinno would refuse. Two brand new appointments would bring back bad memories of David Moyes working with a New CEO, Ed Woodward. It's why the DOF is the critical appointment who must know and Understand the Club.

In conclusion there is no perfect combination but their may be one last risk worth taking. Eric Cantona is a red through and through, he has never shown any interest in management but he may well be interested in the Director of Football role and by coincedence he is quite friendly with only a couple of French players, the first being Laurent Blanc and the second being Zidane. Ok I'm not totally cool with the French invasion but imagine Pogba telling Blanc or Zidane or Cantona what he's been doing on social media, imagine Martial sulking because he got left out of the French WC Squad. Both Blanc and Zidane have WC winners medals as well as other trophies both as players and a managers plus Eric is a die hard Red with a strong belief in the English game and the way it should be played.
Option 1 Eric and Z Zidane
Option 2 Eric and L Blanc

Last edited:

The Red Thinker

1. He isn't an attacking manager, he is very pragmatic.
2. He is a tactically astute and it's a great trait for a pragmatic coach.
3. He doesn't really play a 4-4-2, he did it one season otherwise his teams will play in 433, 4231 or 4222.
4. He has nothing to do with talent spotting, Monaco is one of the clubs that purchase players and the head coach coach them. In fact in France the term manager is rarely used because we don't have them, we have coaches(entraineur).
5. He doesn't have any choice that's Monaco's philosophy.
1. 16/17 - 107 Goals, 17/18 - 85 Goals : If that isn't an attacking coach then don't know what is. Attacking coaches can be pragmatic too btw.
2. Agreed.
3. I said an "evolved 4-4-2". There are times when it becomes a 442 and times when it became 4321 or 4222. Call it what you will.
4. You may have a point here. But you don't know if he's not part of the decision making process.
5. He may not have a choice, but he certainly knows how to follow it and that's something we don't have right now.

Laurentiu amt

We have already taken far too many risks in our last 3 Management appointments!
  • David Moyes, never actually won anything but had experience of the PL but United was simply far to big a gig for his limited talents.
  • LVG won everything but never managed in the PL and was found out by the pace of the game. His sideways boring pragmatic style resulting in less than 50 goals scored in a pl campaign sent us into Meltdown.
  • Jose Mourinho has won everything and understood the PL, it looked like we finally got it right if only but for a short term. Jose at his imperial best, the version from 2004 to 2011 charmed and seduced the media, Housewives everwhere became interrested in football, he knew how to win Ugly, or by playing attractive football or even dare I say it 'parking the bus'. He just knew how to win! He would never have managed Inter or Madrid from a Hotel room for 2 and half years! Unfortunately, we recruited him after that Chelsea meltdown and he's never been the same since. Now he's angry, not settled and the one thing you would bank on with him is to know his best 11 week in week out!
For those reasons above, we need to take our time and make the right decision. We need a 5 to 7 year plan, but before we recruite a new Head Coach, because that's what his title will be, the club first needs to find a New Director of Football.

Jose should be given until the season unless he loses 5 or 6 games before Christmas then the position is simply untenable but this time we really need to get it right and the Following;
  • A Director of Football who understands the Club and has an affinity to attract players that play the United Way plus he or she can spot huge talents early in their career paths. In other words they need to have played the game at the highest level.
  • A modern Head Coach aged 47 to 54 that speaks English, that understands and has preferably managed in the PL.
  • A Coach that promotes Youth and improves the players.
  • A Winner of major trophies as a player and a coach and has managed and succeeded at a European Elite Club.
When you break it down, it presents a much bigger headache than just going and getting a Pochetinno or a Zidane. The new Head Coach would have to work with a new DOF, something Pochetinno would refuse. Two brand new appointments would bring back bad memories of David Moyes working with a New CEO, Ed Woodward. It's why the DOF is the critical appointment who must know and Understand the Club.

In conclusion there is no perfect combination but their may be one last risk worth taking. Eric Cantona is a red through and through, he has never shown any interest in management but he may well be interested in the Director of Football role and by coincedence he is quite friendly with only a couple of French players, the first being Laurent Blanc and the second being Zidane. Ok I'm not totally cool with the French invasion but imagine Pogba telling Blanc or Zidane or Cantona what he's been doing on social media, imagine Martial sulking because he got left out of the French WC Squad. Both Blanc and Zidane have WC winners medals as well as other trophies both as players and a managers plus Eric is a die hard Red with a strong belief in the English game and the way it should be played.
Option 1 Eric and Z Zidane
Option 2 Eric and L Blanc
That s a good shout, but Eric looks alright doing his stuff now, dunno if he d be interested in a dof role.

Foxbatt

Break the bank for Pep. We may over 90 million for Pogab. I would rather pay that much to get a top manager.

KDB17

Supports
Manchester City
Out of the options in the poll that are realistic, I think Jardim would be a fantastic appointment for United.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
United's budget for the past 2 seasons has been one of the biggest, breaking the transfer record for Pogba, spending a nearly equivalent amount on Lukaku, paying Sanchez a reported half a million a week. LVG also spent about 250 million if I'm not mistaken. That's not the behaviour of a board that is contented with top 4 and wants its managers to work on a small budget.

RoyH1

If we cannot get Pochettino, I’d have a crack at Nagelsmann or Jardim. We need a director of football though for the long term.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Would be happy with any of Sarri, Poch or Jardim.

Seeing Giggs, Neville and Steve fecking Bruce mentioned here did cheer me up though :lol:
Some people just couldn't take joke on the internet. #Internetisseriousbusiness#

Janson

Like Martial wanting out in the summer.
The whole transfer debacle.
Jose general demeanor during the summer tour.
Pogba's vague philosophical ramblings and consistent Barca links.
Our appalling performance in the Brighton game.
Jose's statement about not criticizing players because the media doesn't like it.

It's not hard to figure out that things are not rosy.
None of that is any evidence that they stopped playing for the manager. How does our transfer window have anything to do with it?

All we have to go by is one game really.