[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I think they should employ a director of football first before even thinking about making a full time managerial appointment.
Me too.
For what it’s worth I said as much a few minutes ago in another thread. My question to @Adisa is hypothetically whether United should be deterred by this agreement between Nagelsmann and RB if he was United’s first choice.

Johan07

I have less of a problem with his lack of experience than the fact he might not be able to attract the big names to the club. Say what you will about Mourinho, but that is what he has delivered. Guardiola at City is an even better example of course.

Minimalist

He's not a bad shout at all, albeit one from left-field for sure.

Think there's better options at this point though.

Bournemouth to Manchester United ,no cant see it.

Still he's a talented upcoming manager who has done excellently well with my local club.
His transfer history is abit up and down, though lets be totally honest Bournemouth are picking from a competitive and small field there.

Chairman Steve

I share the same sentiment as a lot of people in here. I think a lot of managers and head coaches would do a decent job for us, providing first and foremost a DoF structure was in place.

We aren’t going to find another Sir Alex and we should stop trying to shoehorn guys in there who just can’t do it.

We’re one of the biggest clubs in the world with extraordinary standards to meet, so there should be a system in place where we can anticipate that a head coach will get their term so to speak, and then when they want to move on, whether their formula is getting a little stale or whether they’re just getting bad results... we can easily get a new head coach in without having to do extensive research trying to find out if this next guy can do Sir Alex’s job.

I always wonder whether potential candidates are put off by us not having that. I imagine if a hypothetical top manager would look at us and think “Utd are a great club but there’s no way I can handle almost everything by myself. The only support network I’ve got is an accountant who had no sporting career or previous experience in working with sports entities”

Aloysius's Back 3

I like Eddie & wouldn't mind seeing him here - however he is an ex player of Bournemouth too & this ex player manager stuff really seems to give an advantage which may not necessarily be transferable to United.

There'd before looking at Eddie - I'd like one of our own at least on an interim basis to see how they do.

Johnbouche

Yeah! Get rid of the foreign players next. All UK all the way.
That's a real twist on my words and not what how I wanted it to come across. I fully expect if and when we appoint a director of football he will likely come from abroad as many clubs outside the UK seem to have much better footballing structure in place so I would fully support someone coming an implementing a new structure from youth to transfers so they club is pulling in one direction.

On the manager front however I just feel we need someone who understands our league and knows what this club is about. Someone who has seen first hand whats been happening to our club and has the youth and enthusiasm to put it right. This is why I suggested Eddie Howe.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Best option from the English managers anyway. Plays good football too.

lsd

The Oracle
The most overrated manager in football .

Sean Dyche has a better record

Carolina Red

Staff
That's a real twist on my words and not what how I wanted it to come across. I fully expect if and when we appoint a director of football he will likely come from abroad as many clubs outside the UK seem to have much better footballing structure in place so I would fully support someone coming an implementing a new structure from youth to transfers so they club is pulling in one direction.

On the manager front however I just feel we need someone who understands our league and knows what this club is about. Someone who has seen first hand whats been happening to our club and has the youth and enthusiasm to put it right. This is why I suggested Eddie Howe.
That I can get behind.

OldSchoolManc

Sean Dyche. Very likeable and nobody is gonna cross him as he seems hard as nails.
Last thing we need is someone that the players think is an easy touch.

Aloysius's Back 3

@Johnbouche I personally don't think having more united grown aswell as more English players is wrong.

United haven't ever been successful without neither in their team so isn't that part our philosophy? We can't keep just trying to buy players when we have a history of having young players that break through the system & do well for us? Hell we had to buy one of our own back for 80 mill or more.

Ultimately its disappointing - United used to have a history of having the best English players at the club & no one else's.

Now all the best English players are scattered around & even if we can't get them - we don't even show an intent of going after them.

If SAF was a young manager in this time - he would have kept bidding 150mil on Kane alone & going up by 10 mil every transfer window just to unsettle the lad before he ends up contemplate moving; even if he doesn't. Instead we spend 87 mil on Lukaku who isn't the best striker in the PL.

I want to see that again - the English aspect of the club arise again.

Another example is smalling - I think he is a good player but is he the best English CB when he isn't even picked for England due to ball playing abilities? Why did we not go for walker & allowed him to go to City etc etc.

Johnbouche

The structure from above needs to corrected first before any full time appointment is made. I think if Mou is sacked the likes of Nicky Butt could step in on temporary basis.

If a DOF is then appointed to restructure the club from youth to transfers then any new manager coming in after that point will know what to expect and how exactly things are going to work fro that point onwards. I'm fairly sure transfer dealings will be buy committee and any new manager now will not have full control on who the club buy.

I think if this is the ways things go then Eddie Howe isnt a bad shout.

Mick321

Poch, all feels a bit stale there at the moment as standing still in this sport is basically the same as going backwards. Not much more he can do with so little money. Can have a few games in their new stadium, maybe win the Europa when they drop in then come here.

Morpheus 7

No, stop this well he's a British manager shit. He's not good enough for Man United and it would be an awful mistake. I'm chatting Moyes 2.0, there is literally nothing to suggest that he's qualified for the job. He has no experience of winning trophies, never been involved with a top level club in management or his playing career.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
If you are going "British" go for someone attached to the club. It's a horrible idea, but better than Howe.

Mr Smith

That's very harsh, he has done insanely well firstly to get Bournmouth where they are, and secondly to keep them there.

Would definitely be way out of his depth here of course. Might have a look at him again in 10 years.

saivet

Jardim is my first choice. What I found impressive about him is how he managed to transform Monaco's way of playing in just a season. For example In the CL when Monaco knocked out Arsenal they were known to be a pretty defensive side, making the best out of what they had. The following season when they drew City, I assumed they were the same, but he changed them from a very defensive to very attacking team very quickly which I think shows he will adapt to the players he has.

Given their situation this season in the league and unlikely to get out of their CL group behind Atletico and Dortmund, surely Monaco won't put up a big fight to keep him unlike Poch at Spurs.

All this being said, I think we'll get Zidane. Not fully convinced he will be the right guy for us, but I won't have many complaints.

L1nk

Jardim is my first choice. What I found impressive about him is how he managed to transform Monaco's way of playing in just a season. For example In the CL when Monaco knocked out Arsenal they were known to be a pretty defensive side, making the best out of what they had. The following season when they drew City, I assumed they were the same, but he changed them from a very defensive to very attacking team very quickly which I think shows he will adapt to the players he has.

Given their situation this season in the league and unlikely to get out of their CL group behind Atletico and Dortmund, surely Monaco won't put up a big fight to keep him unlike Poch at Spurs.

All this being said, I think we'll get Zidane. Not fully convinced he will be the right guy for us, but I won't have many complaints.
Jardim before, but he has Monaco in the relegation zone currently, it won't and shouldn't happen.

saivet

Jardim before, but he has Monaco in the relegation zone currently, it won't and shouldn't happen.
I don't think we will go for him, but I'm reading less into their situation because of Klopp. Losing your best players on a regular basis is not sustainable and given they both showed their class over a number of years is enough for me.

Ekeke

He has to be in with a shout. A manager that is doing well and can get his squad to pull together as a team and get results.

Where does this reputation for being bad in the transfer market come from? Ibe? He can still come good and on his day is a good player.

Considering how much we've overspent on players since Sir Alex I think its a bit rich for our fans to complain about a manager maybe spending too much on 1 player. So I hope theres more to the story than I'm missing?

AlwaysRed66

Bournemouth has the smallest ground in the Premier League, & Howe has done very well keeping them up, at the same time playing some nice attacking football. Contrast that to Dyche who gets his team playing football that bores the pants of everyone, with 10 men behind the ball. It is far easier for a small club to play negative football, than attacking football, as you take more risks.

MrBest

Another manager topic, surely this belongs elsewhere. The titles are getting worse. Eddie is a great manager for Bournemouth but after Moyes we Gaal and Jose, this is just ridiculous. Case closed.