[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

redtony

A lot of the 'needs winning experience' is overrated imo.

Check out Lucien Favre of Dortmund. He was very good at his previous clubs and Dortmund took a risk on him and he's made them a winning team again. He has a better squad than he's ever managed before so is able now to go to the next level.

We just need someone that is competent and can spot that ability in a manager/coach.
Problem is Ed doesn't have a clue and we're always looking for the obvious i.e Zidane/Poch.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A lot of the 'needs winning experience' is overrated imo.

Check out Lucien Favre of Dortmund. He was very good at his previous clubs and Dortmund took a risk on him and he's made them a winning team again. He has a better squad than he's ever managed before so is able now to go to the next level.

We just need someone that is competent and can spot that ability in a manager/coach.
Problem is Ed doesn't have a clue and we're always looking for the obvious i.e Zidane/Poch.
I agree, we need to get potential candidates and interview them. Eddie Howe, Adi Hutter, Marco Rose etc should then hopefully present their case on how they'd turn things around.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Just flex your financial muscles and brings in Poch & Harry Kane. You are the richest club in the world and should hire the best manager available. I don't understand the interest in "up and coming" young managers, they are for smaller clubs like arsenal, spurs, bvb, not for RM, Bayern or Man utd. Poch fits the bill perfectly atm. He develops as a manager in spurs, and it is now the right time for the big clubs to go for him and also for him to move up the ladder in his career.

JMack1234

What Poch has achieved at Spurs is far more impressive than any FA cup or Europa League.

red thru&thru

Statman Dave has posted a good video on YouTube, about what a United team would look like/perform under Poch. Great video.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just flex your financial muscles and brings in Poch & Harry Kane. You are the richest club in the world and should hire the best manager available. I don't understand the interest in "up and coming" young managers, they are for smaller clubs like arsenal, spurs, bvb, not for RM, Bayern or Man utd. Poch fits the bill perfectly atm. He develops as a manager in spurs, and it is now the right time for the big clubs to go for him and also for him to move up the ladder in his career.
Kane would never want to join us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Kane would never want to join us.
if the setup of the team is right, and of course money is right, it is possible. I highly doubt he will say no to the salary that Alexis Sanchez is currently on atm, Spurs will never be able to match that, and I doubt Kane will move aboard.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We will struggle to get Poch i feel. Added to that he is not necessarily joining a club with better players than what he has at Spurs.

Zidane maybe. Would not be surprized if he goes somewhere else though like Bayern.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
We will struggle to get Poch i feel. Added to that he is not necessarily joining a club with better players than what he has at Spurs.

Zidane maybe. Would not be surprized if he goes somewhere else though like Bayern.
May be offer him a 5 year contract and budget to rebuild the team, be patient and judge the result after 3 seasons?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
May be offer him a 5 year contract and budget to rebuild the team, be patient and judge the result after 3 seasons?
Yea if we get Poch, it is going to be a lot of money, both to buy him out of spurs (if his contract is not up) and secondly to pay him.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
I strongly doubt that either Pochettino or Kane would want to leave Spurs for United, especially when there are several more attractive destinations were they ever minded to leave this summer. Moreover, the right time to try for Pochettino was before he signed his new contract, which was also before Spurs looked likely to secure another top 4 finish, with the CL football that comes with it.

It's the flexing of financial muscles that has partly gotten United into their current mess. Sooner or later it will dawn on the club that more attempted quick fixes is the not the way forward, in which case they will go out and look for (or develop) their own "Harry Kane" and "Pochettino".

bond19821982

I strongly doubt that either Pochettino or Kane would want to leave Spurs for United, especially when there are several more attractive destinations were they ever minded to leave this summer. Moreover, the right time to try for Pochettino was before he signed his new contract, which was also before Spurs looked likely to secure another top 4 finish, with the CL football that comes with it.

It's the flexing of financial muscles that has partly gotten United into their current mess. Sooner or later it will dawn on the club that more attempted quick fixes is the not the way forward, in which case they will go out and look for (or develop) their own "Harry Kane" and "Pochettino".
You feel too unsecured when we talk about Poch and Kane :lol:

Throwing money is obviously going to fix the issues at one point. Real,City,Chelsea are all good examples of it. It just takes time. It almost took 5-6 years for City to build a title winning team despite having unlimited money.

Having said that Kane wouldn't move because he is a spurs lad through and through. But on other hand, Poch will definitely come (if offered)and signing a contract means fek all for managers. If the manager wants to leave, there is nothing spurs can do about it.

red thru&thru

Thanks. I couldn’t paste the link off of my phone.

Unreal how many people believe Poch wouldn’t come here because the Spurs team is supposedly better than ours...

Firstly, we and Spurs have got the same players over the past two years. We finished above them last year and it seems they will this year. So I’d say sqauds are even.

Secondly, we all know we have the bigger budget amd can out spend Spurs. Poch has already said Spurs won’t spend when they get into their new stadium. Plus, we all know what Levy is like. So, at United, Poch has the backing to take the team further than at Spurs.

Thirdly, our youtu set up is better. The potential of player we have ready to come through is great. Poch is known to work with youth players, so he’d get a lot from our talent pool.

Also, I read a lot about Real being interested. Well, they have just as big as a rebuilding job as us. He will get more money there to rebuild, however, he will not get the time and patience to do that like he would here.

One negative I do see though is, our first team structure as a whole. Who is in chartof scouting? Who is in charge of buying/selling players etc. What is our philosophy as a club? These kind of things would be a big concern for any new manager.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You feel too unsecured when we talk about Poch and Kane :lol:

Throwing money is obviously going to fix the issues at one point. Real,City,Chelsea are all good examples of it. It just takes time. It almost took 5-6 years for City to build a title winning team despite having unlimited money.

Having said that Kane wouldn't move because he is a spurs lad through and through. But on other hand, Poch will definitely come (if offered)and signing a contract means fek all for managers. If the manager wants to leave, there is nothing spurs can do about it.
Sorry, but it's delusion to think he'll leave Spurs just so that he can manage United in the Europa League next season. If he wants to leave in the summer then of course he will, but it wouldn't be to United. And I don't think he will want to leave.

As for the 5-6 years it took City, it will be six years next summer since Fergie retired, during which time you've spend vast amounts, so no it isn't "obvious" that continuing to throw money at the problem is eventually going to fix it. There are other available strategies and United need to start exploring them.

OldPop

In a large organization, we know that all leaders are not good, or in any case not in the right place, and Mancheter United is probably no exception. The problem we have had under three different coaches is certainly proof of that.

A very strong leader can compensate for other leaders who are not as strong. For a long time, I thought Mouinho had to be such a leader. But it does not seem so and I still have a hard time getting it.

Perhaps, in order to be a leader in the MU, there are characteristics that may not be needed as much in other clubs?

In that case, the conclusion is that management, when looking for new candidates, should look more at the characteristics of the coaches than on how successful they were before.

But then management needs to have that insight, and it could be another problem ...

BlueHaze

This GlastonSpur lad is right. Had Woodward and co ever wanted Pochettino they would and should have gone for him this summer before extending. If I am not wrong he signed a new 5 year deal worth around 7m a year? The club would have to pay around 30m to buy out his contract and these are the same lot who valued a 25m sacking fee over any attempts of salvaging our season. Yeah, I think it is safe to say they will never pay that amount to get Poch not to mention Madrid will probably be there waiting if they have not appointed anyone yet. Even if the club were willing to get him I can't see why he would join us if it was a battle between us and Madrid. I personally have wanted him for a long time as I see him as the perfect match but I don't even think he wants to leave Tottenham yet. He seems like a loyal guy and when he said he plans to stay there for a long time it felt genuine. Time will tell though.

bond19821982

Sorry, but it's delusion to think he'll leave Spurs just so that he can manage United in the Europa League next season. If he wants to leave in the summer then of course he will, but it wouldn't be to United. And I don't think he will want to leave.

As for the 5-6 years it took City, it will be six years next summer since Fergie retired, during which time you've spend vast amounts, so no it isn't "obvious" that continuing to throw money at the problem is eventually going to fix it. There are other available strategies and United need to start exploring them.
Conveniently ignoring the fact that it's a combination of years and money as we dont have the unlimited source of money City has. Anyways , i have explained you many cases/the working examples how throwing money can/will fix the issues. So if you have any "working examples" where money hasn't fixed anything, then please feel free to respond . If you only have your "opinions" and not "facts", then please feel free to stay away .

Its deluded on Spurs fans side to think Poch will be with them forever. Managers takes up jobs based on various factors . Were Spurs in CL when he took the job ? Were Klopp thinking about managing a mid table team when he took over Liverpool? Why did Sarri leave CL to manage a EL team ? Stop leaving in deluded fantasy world that Spurs are the next big thing and he will not join us . If interested , there is nothing you guys can do and its actually quite easy as well if Poch wants to join. Not like signing a player from you.

Conor

Spurs are never going to become a club of Utd's stature with they way they are run(as football stands today). If you honestly believe Pochettino would turn down the chance to manage Utd over having to spend a season in the Europa league(instead of 100% not winning the CL with Spurs), then you clearly can't look at the situation objectively.

Chairman Steve

I voted Jardim.

The sheer amount of money we’d need to pay Spurs for Pochettino would be frankly ridiculous, that he’d probably need to win the league in his first season with us, or at worst be VERY close 2nd.

Jardims a free agent and has followed a somewhat similar path to Klopp at Dortmund, as Jardim did with Bayern such as defied the odds and won the league ahead of the evil empire club, overseen bigger clubs swoop in for stars and managed to still be competitive then had a complete meltdown at the club probably after realising they couldn’t keep doing annually.... They both played entertaining football too. 107 league goals scored in the season Jardim and Monaco won Ligue 1. Got Falcao to his best again. Unearthed Mbappe etc after losing talented prospects like Martial to us among other players.

I’m not solely resting on my case that he’s had a similar path to Klopp. I feel that he’s like a good hedged bet to take. He’s relatively young and I’d think he’d have the pull for players from his Monaco time. I feel that we’d need to get in a DoF for him too.

Last edited:

JMack1234

Just saying this poll really need to be refreshed people like Koeman, Hughes and L. Enrique need removing and Zidane, Howe and Conte need adding.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Conveniently ignoring the fact that it's a combination of years and money as we dont have the unlimited source of money City has. Anyways , i have explained you many cases/the working examples how throwing money can/will fix the issues. So if you have any "working examples" where money hasn't fixed anything, then please feel free to respond . If you only have your "opinions" and not "facts", then please feel free to stay away .

Its deluded on Spurs fans side to think Poch will be with them forever. Managers takes up jobs based on various factors . Were Spurs in CL when he took the job ? Were Klopp thinking about managing a mid table team when he took over Liverpool? Why did Sarri leave CL to manage a EL team ? Stop leaving in deluded fantasy world that Spurs are the next big thing and he will not join us . If interested , there is nothing you guys can do and its actually quite easy as well if Poch wants to join. Not like signing a player from you.
United are the prime example since Fergie retired. You've spent a fortune.

Nor have I said that Poch will be with us "forever", but regardless of United being interested I'm very confident that he won't be joining you this summer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Spurs are never going to become a club of Utd's stature with they way they are run(as football stands today). If you honestly believe Pochettino would turn down the chance to manage Utd over having to spend a season in the Europa league(instead of 100% not winning the CL with Spurs), then you clearly can't look at the situation objectively.
Objectively, Spurs will very likely finish above United, have a fantastic new stadium soon to open and a talented squad with great team spirit. Moreover, Pochettino has total authority over the squad and a long-term plan to work with.

These are all things that United don't offer. Too many United fans think that money trumps all. But it doesn't.

68Guns

eddie howe ffs, all I read in the papers is eddie howe this eddie howe that, hes won fcuk all, the players would laugh at him and he wouldn't be able to handle the over hyped over paid prima donnas we have on the staff at Old T. do me a favour fellas forget about this eddie howe nionsense he culdnt even get his beloved Bournemouth to grab a point at wolves ffs so how hes gonna master the demolition of Barcelona in Europe is pure fantasy. Poch is the main man, you know it, I know it, the world knows it. And hes coming guys hes on his way.

klsv

Howe would be great, can recycle all the "Ed out!" banners when it's time again.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
wow you actually have hughes on the list. he would fore sure get united relegated. you think united are unrelegatable.... appoint hughes and you will see that nothing is impossible.

personally i would laugh my ass off if hughes got the job.

Last edited:

Farfetched

wow you actually have hughes on the list. he would fore sure get united relegated. you think united are unrelegatable.... appoint hughes and you will see that nothing is impossible.

personally i would laugh my ass off if hughes got the job.
Hughes has even got 12 votes, although one suspects Merseyside 5th columnist at work here. Anyway at the moment we don’t need any 5th column we are doing very well on our own thank you!

Conor

Objectively, Spurs will very likely finish above United, have a fantastic new stadium soon to open and a talented squad with great team spirit. Moreover, Pochettino has total authority over the squad and a long-term plan to work with.

These are all things that United don't offer. Too many United fans think that money trumps all. But it doesn't.
It's not about money, it's about status. Spurs cannot offer what Utd have, they never will be able to with the way they're run, because you would have to start winning multiple things to ever be considered a big club. None of the top clubs in Europe got there by having shiny new stadiums and great team spirit, they did it by winning over and over again. Spurs aren't going to do that unless they drastically change how they operate. Look at the present, you have a manager that probably gives you the best chance ever of winning things in the PL today, and you're giving him nothing to spend.

At the end of the day, the top managers want something more than what Pochettino has at Spurs at the moment. I don't think it's possible for him to win you the trophies that would be needed to bring your club's status to the next level with what he has at his disposal, Utd can offer the prestige of a truly huge club, along with as much cash as any except the oil clubs. Just because Utd are the least attractive step up currently, doesn't mean any manager wouldn't consider it, especially when Pochettino knows what he can get a group of players to play beyond the sum of their parts.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
It's not about money, it's about status. Spurs cannot offer what Utd have, they never will be able to with the way they're run, because you would have to start winning multiple things to ever be considered a big club. None of the top clubs in Europe got there by having shiny new stadiums and great team spirit, they did it by winning over and over again. Spurs aren't going to do that unless they drastically change how they operate. Look at the present, you have a manager that probably gives you the best chance ever of winning things in the PL today, and you're giving him nothing to spend.

At the end of the day, the top managers want something more than what Pochettino has at Spurs at the moment. I don't think it's possible for him to win you the trophies that would be needed to bring your club's status to the next level with what he has at his disposal, Utd can offer the prestige of a truly huge club, along with as much cash as any except the oil clubs. Just because Utd are the least attractive step up currently, doesn't mean any manager wouldn't consider it, especially when Pochettino knows what he can get a group of players to play beyond the sum of their parts.
We can't give him lots to spend currently because we're funding a new stadium. Do you suggest we run up crippling debt by also spending big on the squad?

For us it's about putting the long-term building blocks in place, of which having a "shiny new stadium" - and the income increase that comes with it - is a key item.

It's delusion to think that Pochettino is going to abandon what he has at Spurs and come to United because of your club's past prestige. He's focused on the here-and-now and the near future. And in that time-frame it's very clear that he is both committed to - and happy at - Spurs.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Yea if we get Poch, it is going to be a lot of money, both to buy him out of spurs (if his contract is not up) and secondly to pay him.
I dont see it happening, he wouldnt have renewed his contract if he was looking to move. Eriksen has not renewed his contract with Spurs for a reason. Hint hes looking to move on.

It's no secret RM have wanted Poch for quite some time. Yet he is still at Spurs, not at arguably the biggest club on the planet.

And yes, not only do we need to pay over a lot of money to Spurs for Poch, plus Levy tax. We also need to be prepared to back him with a war chest in the xfer window. He will want to do what he did at Spurs. Remove those who don't fit with his philosophy and replace them. Which seen a lot of players out the door including the club captain and Spurs' star player Adebayor.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Here is Poch at work.

Departures from Spurs over two seasons(14-15) - Sigurdsson, Sandro, Livermore, Naughton, Dawson, Fryers, Falque, Obika, Gomes, Stewart, Lancaster, with 13 players loaned

(15-16) - Soldado, Townsend, Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli, Chiriches, Holtby, Lennon, Kaboul, Velkjovic, Fredericks, Khumalo, Gomelt, Miles, Archer, Ceballos, Adebayor, Freidel, with 4 players loaned.

If he did come here, which I dont think he will. Im not sure he would have that level of control over the squad.

Aloysius's Back 3

I'm disappointed by the ole appointment because it shows that we are not open to finding out if managers already at the club would ever be good enough - like nicky butt or even the coaching side of Carrick who has been under SAF LVG & Jose.

Hiring ole just to replace him at the end of the season is a waste of time - we should have hired someone that has a chance of being our permanent manager if they were able to do well in that position.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We can't give him lots to spend currently because we're funding a new stadium. Do you suggest we run up crippling debt by also spending big on the squad?

For us it's about putting the long-term building blocks in place, of which having a "shiny new stadium" - and the income increase that comes with it - is a key item.

It's delusion to think that Pochettino is going to abandon what he has at Spurs and come to United because of your club's past prestige. He's focused on the here-and-now and the near future. And in that time-frame it's very clear that he is both committed to - and happy at - Spurs.
I do think that there's a chance Pochettino leaves pretty soon. It's reasonable to think that you've peaked for the near future, and it's been the case the last few years. To reach the next step, Spurs needs to spend outside of their wage and financial structure, which would be irresponsible to do for obvious reasons. Can definitely see Pochettino feeling like he's peaked with Spurs, not being happy with not being allowed to spend what's needed to step up, and then moving to someone like Madrid. Don't personally think he'll come to United, but United does also offer him more money to take the next step which Spurs can't. Spurs are playing the long game of trying to establish themselves at the top, but they really need to hope that Pochettino lasts for long enough through what will surely be a longer period of low spending due to the stadium, until they can afford to spend more regularly.

Saying it's deluded to think he'll move on soon enough is wide of the mark though. If Levy don't give him the spending that he wants like what happened this year, then there's no way to progress. Eriksen might leave because of it, and Pochettino might decide it's time to go. A lot of if's, but hardly impossible. And at the end of the day, the prestige of Manchester United or Real Madrid, whether you like it or not, will always have an impact.