[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
@Bestietom you'd hope so but the scouts can only do so much. If the manager doesn't want them they won't come.

buchansleftleg

Too good to be true, the idea that it could be us. Ed doesn't do that sort of thinking.
I really hope this is true...I'm not saying I want Jardin for sure, but I want to hear that we are actively sounding out replacement options.

I also want us to be looking at Managers based on style, approach and mentality with young players.

Bondy

Would love to see what Jardim could do at united, to win the league with Monaco was a decent achievement, the way his teams attack would be a perfect fit for us. People debate about the season he got sacked but if any team got striped of some many stars course it was going to go wrong, only difference is we don't need to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapardin

I really hope this is true...I'm not saying I want Jardin for sure, but I want to hear that we are actively sounding out replacement options.

I also want us to be looking at Managers based on style, approach and mentality with young players.
One reason I believe Jardim is a better fit than Poch and Zidane is that he's proven in terms of adaptability. He was primarily defensive in his approach until that breakthrough Monaco season when he figured he had all the players to encourage an attacking style of play.

This shows he is tactically suited for our job. I don't believe we can play truly attacking football effectively with our current FBs and eve n our striker and RW-- though it could of course be better than the garbage Mourinho throws at us on a weekly basis. Jardim can probably take us step-by-step to where we want to be -- a real transition for once.

I did get serious doubts when I heard him linked to the Saudi job. It shows a lack of ambition at this stage in his career. But it's a minor gripe, if he's available, we must go for him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The Jardim rumour is odd. Didn't think the board would go for a manager like him, but I don't think any of the current top 5 clubs want a new manager any time soon.

Still, taking this with a huge pinch of salt.

jeff_goldblum

Looking back, it's obvious that the United job is simply too big for a manager to take on alone. Fergie was one of a kind and was a master at knowing his limitations and delegating responsibilities appropriately. In a way, in choosing to go forward with a traditional manager rather than going for a Coach/DoF model, both Fergie and the rest of the board hugely underestimated how special he was.

At this point I honestly think that, as long as they are competent, who actually replaces Mourinho will be less important than changing the club structurally and hiring a strong Director of Football so Woodward can concentrate on marketing and get his nose out of the football side of things.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd be happy with Jardim, he's a very good coach that is tactically very good. His man management skills are top notch and he has shown he can set up a attack minded side and also very good defensively.

Give him a 2 year contract..

VJ1762

How about Di Francesco of Roma? Apparently Roma are having a poor season and he is under pressure. What is his philosophy?

the chameleon

How Ed would approach jardim.

Ed: I don’t know who you are, but fans keep rambling on about you. Would you be interested in joining our adult Disneyland?
Jardim: Heh? Who are are you?
Ed: I’m ed, the emperor supreme at Manchester United. I occasionally play Donald Duck. Shall get my assistant to print you contract that you’ll never refuse?
Jardim: What are the other benefits?
Ed: You’ll get an unlimited souply I mean supply of Vietnamese noodles and free Chevrolet t-shirt. What do you think?
Jardim: I’ll think about

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Whoever we bring in, the board will have to back him to rebuild. We need a huge investment in this club to put things right, and get us back up there to the top. He will also have to get rid of the deadwood, which won't be easy unless their contracts run out. Some players are on far too much money here for what they give back to the club. This whole wage structure will have to change as it causes too much arguments in the club.
The wage structure won't change, due to the arrival of a new manager.
The wage structure is all down to Woodward and Matt Judge, both of which will be retaining their roles, after Jose has been replaced.

I think people on this forum are in for a big disappointment if they honestly believe that there will be a huge change once the manager has been replaced.

Until there are fundamental changes in the philosophy of the club, competing for top 4, with players that are less than ideal, will continue. Phil Jones (for example) has survived multiple managers, when most fans were saying that we need to let go of him. Woodward keeps giving him a new contract.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm not really keen on anyone, that's half the issue. There's no manager out there who I'd be confident in coming here and turning it around. The clubs in too much of a mess, from top to bottom.
That's exactly what I am thinking.
Personally, I think we need a DoF (or even 2 x DoFs), to reorganise the club, before a new manager steps in.
I hear that when Wenger left, there a completely re-modelling of the way AFC is run, their decision making and who does what. This has helped the new manager to come in and hit the ground running.
Sadly, I just don't see MUFC as a club capable of doing something similar.

I'd rather be midtable under another manager than Mourinho, at least they might at least seem like they want to be in the job. He's a dark cloud, has been from day one.
So you disliked the idea of Jose in charge of MUFC, from day 1?
Not only that, but you are happy for us to be mid-table, with another manager, rather than being higher up the table, with Jose in charge?

Last edited:

House Mkhitaryan

Next manager should have a much greater proportion of his compensation tied to performance. And I am thinking huge bonuses for winning trophies. For example, win the EPL £10M bonus, win the ECL £20M bonus, etc. Even structure the compensation/bonuses around how far the team advances in Europe and finishes in the league table.

Obviously we will need to pay a high base salary to get any top manager, but we definitely need to avoid situations like we're in now where Woodward is unwilling to fire the manager because he is guaranteed money until our season is mathematically a total disaster.

Reactions: Invictus

breakout67

Supports
Man City
That's exactly what I am thinking.
Personally, I think we need a DoF (or even 2 x DoFs), to reorganise the club, before a new manager steps in.
I hear that when Wenger left, there a completely re-modelling of the way AFC is run, their decision making and who does what. This has helped the new manager to come in and hit the ground running.
Sadly, I just don't see MUFC as a club capable of doing something similar.
Arsenal started restructuring in Wenger's last season even before he left. Mislintat and Sanllehi took over on the long term building of the team and Wenger said in multiple interviews that he was being overruled and also made fun of the director of football position.
Once Wenger was gone they restructured the coaching and medical staff, as many were simply kept in a job because they submitted to Wenger and let him do what he wanted.

Many former players have commented on their experience in trying to go back to the club. Whenever they tried to offer constructive criticism they were told to be quiet and eventually kicked out because they questioned Wenger.

If I were part of board I would have gotten in a new head scout and DoF to make their own 'list'. The manager would not be allowed to recommend players, he would simply give positions and qualities of players and the two above him would identify specific players.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mitten had an article about Pochettino yesterday but the article was filled with so much page filling bollocks, I was too embarrassed to post.

Xaviboy

Whoever comes in has a huge task ahead of them. Alot of shite in that squad to work with and get rid of

laughtersassassin

Any caretaker manager will do. Hire them on Monday and a DOF soon after that then give the DOF the remainder of the season to build a plan for this dying football club.

Then again as I said before does anyone else reckon Ed is too proud to bring in a DOF as that will mean he has admitted he has failed. Strikes me as a man with an Ego to rival Jose the virus.

RooneyLegend

There's just something about Poch I can't warm up to.

I have nothing to base this on, but I just don't think he's a winner.

But maybe he'll help us stabilize and get us playing good/attacking football.
Watching Emery coach circles around him didn't endear him to me either.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Whoever comes in has a huge task ahead of them. Alot of shite in that squad to work with and get rid of
Generally a new manager coming in sees an improvement in the team, regardless of who he picks, as they are all trying to impress. Players that actually look poor in one system can seem like world beaters in another. The way we are playing at the moment makes me think that José doesn't seem to have a system, and really does put players in positions that they are not comfortable with, Pereira on left wing for example. I would hope that a new manager (Jardim for me) would evaluate every player in the squad, and the vast potential coming through from the academy. It could be surprising who he would keep and who would be surplus.

arthurka

That’s the problem though. We’ve fecked up a few times now, I’m really worried about the next manager.
I have no idea who we should get.
If I was to choose it would be

Jardim
Pochettino
Howe
Zidane

But like I said priority is to get the Grinch out..

Eric's Seagull

Yes please. Would be my preferrred choice at the moment. Get him at all costs. Woody make this happen.

Although I beileve this quote was tongue in cheek, I hope it holds some substance "I do not know if I'm going to end up being the [Sir Alex] Ferguson of Monaco," joked Leonardo Jardim. Hope this is a hint that he though he was capable of building a dynasty which is something I have been hoping some worthy manager would do here since Sir Alex retired.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Why would Poch come? Why would any coach at a top club in Europe come to United? This is something we should look at realistically.

L1nk

The idea of not hiring a manager because he got sacked for bad results is hilarious. Most managers leave under those circumstances, not many leave on a high.
More hilarious when you consider we hired Mourinho when he got sacked by Chelsea after leading them to a shocking league position.

Resch

So many young attacking managers out there! Look at Hütter, Rose and Nagelsmann, all of them show us how to play football.
United needs a restart. A young manager a young team and modern attacking football.

Eric's Seagull

Why would Poch come? Why would any coach at a top club in Europe come to United? This is something we should look at realistically.
Although we are in a bit of a mess. We might still appeal to some managers as we pay top wages and would give them a decent amount of funds, although I think sadly we wouldn't give then enough funds to get us fighting right at the top.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Whoever comes will get money to spend and a very nice paycheck. It's hardly the worst job.

red thru&thru

People really should be checking out the work Rose has been doing at Salzburg. Played and learned under Klopp & Tuchel. Won UEFA Youth league. Got to semi’s of the EL ladt year and won all their games this year. This guy is the real deal.

johanovic

Yesterday I did watch the Bobby Robson documentary on Netflix and football fans should watch that. Why am I talking about a manager that passed away? Because there is a young english manager called Eddie Howe that has in my estimates some of the same traits as the late Mr Robson.
Howe is 41 years old and has been a manager for 10 years and knows english football, he commands respect by creating a good working enviroment with clear goals to his players, has clear values, he plays football on the ground and is the first one in every morning and last one out like a Mr Ferguson did. I´ve read a lot about this guy and what his players and staff say about him and I firmly belive he should be the next Man Utd manager. I belive a young manager like him with Carrick+McKenna and a strong DOF is the way for us. It is as clear as day that Mourinho like Van Gaal and Moyes before him has failed in setting up a working enviroment for the players to thrive + we have made some really bad signings also.
I belive Howe has the ability to improve players like clearly seen with many of his purcases for Bournemouth. We have gone for Van Gaal and Mourinho with them being managers with a big CV behind them but could the solution be closer to home so to speak? Was it not one of the mainstays of the Ferguson era to create a calm,postivie atmopsphere where everybody knew their role.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
People really should be checking out the work Rose has been doing at Salzburg. Played and learned under Klopp & Tuchel. Won UEFA Youth league. Got to semi’s of the EL ladt year and won all their games this year. This guy is the real deal.
I've read quite abit about Rose and I think he'd be someone we should seriously consider along with Howe, Hutter and Jardim.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Money. Loads of it.
I'm confident that it won't be enough to make him jump ship for United. He is very happy at Spurs and it seems to me, from everything he says, that he really wants to keep faith with our unfolding project.

I think it would be a bad mistake for United to hold out for Pochettino when Mourinho is sacked, because it won't happen and meanwhile other possible managers will slip through your fingers.

Sterling Archer

Yesterday I did watch the Bobby Robson documentary on Netflix and football fans should watch that. Why am I talking about a manager that passed away? Because there is a young english manager called Eddie Howe that has in my estimates some of the same traits as the late Mr Robson.
Howe is 41 years old and has been a manager for 10 years and knows english football, he commands respect by creating a good working enviroment with clear goals to his players, has clear values, he plays football on the ground and is the first one in every morning and last one out like a Mr Ferguson did. I´ve read a lot about this guy and what his players and staff say about him and I firmly belive he should be the next Man Utd manager. I belive a young manager like him with Carrick+McKenna and a strong DOF is the way for us. It is as clear as day that Mourinho like Van Gaal and Moyes before him has failed in setting up a working enviroment for the players to thrive + we have made some really bad signings also.
I belive Howe has the ability to improve players like clearly seen with many of his purcases for Bournemouth. We have gone for Van Gaal and Mourinho with them being managers with a big CV behind them but could the solution be closer to home so to speak? Was it not one of the mainstays of the Ferguson era to create a calm,postivie atmopsphere where everybody knew their role.
The problem is Howe is a manager I could fall in love with. And I'm not sure the club or myself are still ready for that. A few more heartbreaks to get out the way before the stars align there I think.

RedDevil@84

I'm confident that it won't be enough to make him jump ship for United. He is very happy at Spurs and it seems to me, from everything he says, that he really wants to keep faith with our unfolding project.

I think it would be a bad mistake for United to hold out for Pochettino when Mourinho is sacked, because it won't happen and meanwhile other possible managers will slip through your fingers.
I was actually answering about the second part of the post rather than specifically about Poch.
I think Poch might find it difficult to manage another PL team at least for some years.