[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Ahsan_6386

Well reading reports online that we are really interested in signing Pochettino with the club ready to pay 40 million pounds to Spurs to buy him out of his contract this coming summer . They even report that Pochettino is also taking up the job with Sir Alex already giving his blessings to this move . All this has been reported by the Express and Daily Mail I believe so I am not too sure about their authencity .

What are your views about it ? Personally I feel its just more media bullshit because I doubt Woodward will spend so much money to get a manager who has never won any big trophies .

CA1

The Caf would turn on Pochettino within months.

His style of play is overrated with no pace or width, his teams always fall short, it'll be much worse before it gets any better because Pochettino will need 11 work horses and we don't have many, the Caf won't have the patience.

grahamo

It will be poch. He's a yes man who will put up with all the cr$$ from the board. United are rebuilding from the ground up with all the new coaching/scouting staff they have and Poch will give these young prospects a chance where other managers would be more cautious

Darkhorsez

His style of play is overrated with no pace or width, his teams always fall short, it'll be much worse before it gets any better because Pochettino will need 11 work horses and we don't have many, the Caf won't have the patience.
So who would you then go for? Perhaps you’ve already said and I haven’t seen it.

Ahsan_6386

CA1

So who would you then go for? Perhaps you’ve already said and I haven’t seen it.
I've said all managers will struggle. The expectation and the tools currently available do not go hand in hand for a successful managerial stint. It's like an England job.

We've seen that the fanbase will become divided very quickly too. I don't think Pochettino or anybody else would be finishing 2nd, Europa League in his first 2 seasons and yet Mourinho had his legs cut off for it and lambasted in the media.

I don't dislike Pochettino but it's just the Caf trying to convince themselves all will be OK.

Get rid of Woodward and the owners and then we can start planning for our future.

Darkhorsez

I've said all managers will struggle. The expectation and the tools currently available do not go hand in hand for a successful managerial stint. It's like an England job.

We've seen that the fanbase will become divided very quickly too. I don't think Pochettino or anybody else would be finishing 2nd, Europa League in his first 2 seasons and yet Mourinho had his legs cut off for it and lambasted in the media.

I don't dislike Pochettino but it's just the Caf trying to convince themselves all will be OK.

Get rid of Woodward and the owners and then we can start planning for our future.
Ok fair - I don’t disagree with your comments. On Mou though, he has really brought on some of the press stuff with him. I don’t think Poch get anywhere the same treatment. Don’t know if he is the right guy - who knows but I like his positiveness and style and to be honest I don’t think he will take this job on anyway but what are the alternatives even if we get rid of Ed.

red thru&thru

I think it’s been mentioned a few times before but a manager alone is not going to change our fortunes. Really need to bring in a DoF in first who will need to revamp most of our football set up. There’s a few guys out there who can do the job.

On top of that, we need a manager who is a bit under the radar. If we go for the likes of Poch, Zidane, Jardim etc, there’ll be much more pressure on them to succeed than a manager that is appointed who is a less unkown.

Fosu-Mens

I don't disagree with you but how do we get rid of Woodward and the owners? Lobbying the FA for the 50+1 rule?
Getting rid of them from the club would be nice, but not realistic. We can't force them to sell. The only potential buyer is Saudi Arabia, and they are currently not the most popular Country around.
The best realistic option we can possibly hope for is a DoF which governs the footballing department more or less autonomous. And the board/Woodwards only interaction is to set the budget in which the DoF operates. Given the current spendage on wage, and our recent expenditure on transfers we do use enough £££ to compete at the highest level.

CA1

I don't disagree with you but how do we get rid of Woodward and the owners? Lobbying the FA for the 50+1 rule?
Getting rid of them from the club would be nice, but not realistic. We can't force them to sell. The only potential buyer is Saudi Arabia, and they are currently not the most popular Country around.
The best realistic option we can possibly hope for is a DoF which governs the footballing department more or less autonomous. And the board/Woodwards only interaction is to set the budget in which the DoF operates. Given the current spendage on wage, and our recent expenditure on transfers we do use enough £££ to compete at the highest level.
Us fans are so much more powerful than we think.

Empty stadiums, media blackouts around the world by United fans when United are playing, as many people not buying merchandise etc.

If only a relativley small percentage committed to it, The Glazers and Woodward would be thrust into media spotlight and under so much pressure.

Things can be done but I don't know if our fans are committed to it.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's just something about Poch I can't warm up to.

I have nothing to base this on, but I just don't think he's a winner.

But maybe he'll help us stabilize and get us playing good/attacking football.

Fosu-Mens

Us fans are so much more powerful than we think.

Empty stadiums, media blackouts around the world by United fans when United are playing, as many people not buying merchandise etc.

If only a relativley small percentage committed to it, The Glazers and Woodward would be thrust into media spotlight and under so much pressure.

Things can be done but I don't know if our fans are committed to it.
Most people on here think that the Glazers have not been that bad for the club, and the average fan does not look at more than the manager when finding someone to blame. Unless you get some of the class of 92 to front this boycott the club and reach out to as many as possible, then this would be an impossible task. And the closest we have seen of this is Neville before the Newcastle game.

Castia

His teams always fall short? He’s managed Spurs and Southampton and he’s done brilliant in both jobs.

Spurs have no right being in the top 4 with their budget he’s doing a fantastic job.

CA1

Most people on here think that the Glazers have not been that bad for the club, and the average fan does not look at more than the manager when finding someone to blame. Unless you get some of the class of 92 to front this boycott the club and reach out to as many as possible, then this would be an impossible task. And the closest we have seen of this is Neville before the Newcastle game.
I agree with you.

But something can be done. The power is in our hands, we just need to use it.

I get called a Mourinho fanboy on here but they totally miss the point- I don't care if Mourinho stays or goes. Because in my view it's only a small problem at the club.

I thought after 6 years of this and 3 managers the fans would realise the manager is not the issue, but most are still going for the manager angle.

I want who the fans want because if/when they fail surely they'll turn on Woodward and The Glazers? But most fans wanted Mourinho. I thought if Mourinho failed it would highlight to the fans just the problems we have but instead people are just saying "well it's because Mourinho is finished".

CA1

His teams always fall short? He’s managed Spurs and Southampton and he’s done brilliant in both jobs.

Spurs have no right being in the top 4 with their budget he’s doing a fantastic job.
With the squad Tottenham have had it's a concern they've never won anything. I know cup competitions are more unpredictable but Spurs really have frozen on some big games, a couple of FA Cup Semi Finals, League Cup final etc.

I never said he was a bad manager, not at all.

Rooney24

Thats cos he is not. Trophies won - 0.

dove

Same. I also think the football is not that attacking/great to watch but they usually manage to get the result (unless it's an important game, they always bottle these). This is probably what scares me most. Spurs seem to be close to winning something every season but they just can't do it. He has done a good job at Spurs not doubts about that but I am just not sure about him, and not sure he has the authority to control the likes of Pogba.

CA1

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the same about Pochettino's football.

Lack of width, lack of pace. They work very hard though which I like and you can see a structure to their play. It's not traditional United in my view.

Fosu-Mens

I agree with you.

I get called a Mourinho fanboy on here but they totally miss the point- I don't care if Mourinho stays or goes. Because in my view it's only a small problem at the club.

I thought after 6 years of this and 3 managers the fans would realise the manager is not the issue, but most are still going for the manager angle.

I want who the fans want because if/when they fail surely they'll turn on Woodward and The Glazers? But most fans wanted Mourinho. I thought if Mourinho failed it would highlight to the fans just the problems we have but instead people are just saying "well it's because Mourinho is finished".
Something can certainly be done, but then you would need some known former player to inform the fans of how bad this club is governed by the owners. Then people might listen and act. MUST seems to have given up.

Having a manager that is unable to improve/develope players does not help the situation either. Regardless of what happens with the rest of the club, Mourinho must leave. Only reason for wanting him to stay is the increased focus on Woodward failings in football related matters and thus indirectly on the board.

We could be successful while having the same owners and with Woodward still employed by the club, but then we would need to seperate the footballing side from the rest of the club. And this is far more realistic than wanting to replace the owners.

I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the same about Pochettino's football.

Lack of width, lack of pace. They work very hard though which I like and you can see a structure to their play. It's not traditional United in my view.
They used to have very good width when they had Rose and Walker they were running the flanks. Both of them were literally dictating the game, they haven't had better fullbacks since imo.

Steve Bruce

To be honest, I would rather United went a different way. We have tried experienced older managers with a great past record & Moyes, I think now is the time to take a risk on a younger more vibrant manager. We can't really get any worse than we are. I think we should go for Eddie Howe and promote Nicky Butt to his assistant. Give him a couple of years to build the team and then hopefully really push for honours after that.

Potch IMO is a good manager, but he has won exactly ZERO in his time as manager and I think he could be an expensive mistake.

Castia

With the squad Tottenham have had it's a concern they've never won anything. I know cup competitions are more unpredictable but Spurs really have frozen on some big games, a couple of FA Cup Semi Finals, League Cup final etc.

I never said he was a bad manager, not at all.

I look at it differently, they’ve built a top squad on a minimal budget and it’s credit to Poch and Levy that they’re anywhere near the top of the table. I mean they bought most of their core squad players Ali, Dier, Erikson and Trippier for a combined £30m add to that Alderweirald for £14m and Son for £26m and they’ve done amazing business all whilst losing some great players in the process.

ZlatMan

I agree with you.

I couldn't agree more. I remember Utd fans chanting Mourinho at OT when LVG was in the middle of a torrid December. Where are those Utd fans now? They have what they wanted and they must suck it up until May next year when we are certain to not qualify for the Champions League.

I bet things won't be different whether it'd be Poch or Jardim as long as Woodward remain in charge.

CA1

I couldn't agree more. I remember Utd fans chanting Mourinho at OT when LVG was in the middle of a torrid December. Where are those Utd fans now? They have what they wanted and they must suck it up until May next year when we are certain to not qualify for the Champions League.

I bet things won't be different whether it'd be Poch or Jardim as long as Woodward remain in charge.
In 2 years time, most of the United fans who are now all for Pochettino will be saying it's his fault and that we shouldn't have got somebody who hasn't won a major trophy.

Most fans on here wanted Mourinho and Van Gaal, not without decent reason, they both have superb track records. Now they're suddenly both past it and finished and we should have gone for someone younger.

ZlatMan

In 2 years time, most of the United fans who are now all for Pochettino will be saying it's his fault and that we shouldn't have got somebody who hasn't won a major trophy.

Most fans on here wanted Mourinho and Van Gaal, not without decent reason, they both have superb track records. Now they're suddenly both past it and finished and we should have gone for someone younger.
I thought the disastrous summer window would open up our eyes toward the people running the club but instead we are scapegoating the manager. While the results are below par had Mourinho got the players he demanded we wouldn't be this low in the table.

Let's not forget he won two major trophies in his first year and 2nd place after so many years finishing outside the top 3 as well as the FA Cup final last year but let's ignore and admonish him.

We are literally becoming Chelsea fans.

CA1

I thought the disastrous summer window would open up our eyes toward the people running the club but instead we are scapegoating the manager. While the results are below par had Mourinho got the players he demanded we wouldn't be this low in the table.

Let's not forget he won two major trophies in his first year and 2nd place after so many years finishing outside the top 3 as well as the FA Cup last year but let's ignore and admonish him.

The caf is, I think the more clued up supporters still have their priorities straight and look down on the Caf as inferior and less intelligent supporters.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm not really keen on anyone, that's half the issue. There's no manager out there who I'd be confident in coming here and turning it around. The clubs in too much of a mess, from top to bottom.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I'm not really keen on anyone, that's half the issue. There's no manager out there who I'd be confident in coming here and turning it around. The clubs in too much of a mess, from top to bottom.
Keep Mourinho then.

They need to get the next one right. We know the manager gets backed financially so that's not the issue.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Let's not forget he won two major trophies in his first year and 2nd place after so many years finishing outside the top 3 as well as the FA Cup final last year but let's ignore and admonish him.

Chelsea fans know a thing or two about Mourinho, the most successful manager in their history and the type of reception he got at Stamford Bridge, ask yourself why.
The easy answer would be to generalize and claim they’re just shite fans but we both know that’s not the answer, and it’s not as simple as that, someone like Guus Hiddink would’ve gotten a good reception there, I have no doubt about that.

What do you mean by “a disastrous transfer window”, it would’ve been utterly idiotic from the club’s perspective to spend 75m on Harry Mguire, decent player, 75m player? No way Jose.
His transfer record has been poor, his man management is hideous, the football is not good.
It’s nothing new with him, in his third season he’s either creating a shit storm, getting the sack, having a write-off season or all three combined.
Happened time and time again, happening now, will happen again elsewhere.

What is this obsession with managers that some of our supporters hold onto, SAF was the most important man at the club, that’s not the type of power you’d want literally every manager to have at the club, Mourinho is not the type of manager who should be given that type of power and control over the club.
If that’s not obvious to you by now, I honestly don’t know what to tell you.

If you want to protest against the Glazers and E.D then go ahead, but Mourinho has been a failure here, and his failure at his job as a manager of the club this season has been inexcusable.

UTDbornfan

I think it’s been mentioned a few times before but a manager alone is not going to change our fortunes. Really need to bring in a DoF in first who will need to revamp most of our football set up. There’s a few guys out there who can do the job.

On top of that, we need a manager who is a bit under the radar. If we go for the likes of Poch, Zidane, Jardim etc, there’ll be much more pressure on them to succeed than a manager that is appointed who is a less unkown.
I agree with your idea but we've gotten exactly what you're asking for before with Moyes, who well we all know how that turned out.

Judas

Open to offers
Keep Mourinho then.

They need to get the next one right. We know the manager gets backed financially so that's not the issue.
I'd rather be midtable under another manager than Mourinho, at least they might at least seem like they want to be in the job. He's a dark cloud, has been from day one.