g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

Canagel

Don't mind who it will eventually be, just hope he'll have us playing attacking, creative football.
This. The style of play has been very poor in recent years and not what you'd expect from a club of United's stature. Big clubs have an obligation to entertain and win trophies with style. We will end up losing a lot of fans around the world playing like we do. There is no identity to the team although that could just be a result of having 3 completely different managers since Fergie retired but that's no excuse for not playing how United have traditionally played. Our philosophy has always been to attack and win games with style and flair and any manager who arrives here must embrace these traditions. My personal choice would be Jardim but I'd welcome any one of Pochettino, Sarri or even Ancellotti as well. I might get some stick for this but I believe even Klopp would get us playing better attacking football. The problem with Liverpool is personnel not coaching. Klopp at least tries to play on the front foot and encourages risks from his forwards.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Also, I've probably saying this for a while and will re-iterate it again, the next manager when Jose leaves largely depends on the team Jose leaves behind. We don't have a DoF, so getting a continuity in terms of players and managerial ideals is not going to happen. So depending on the personnel we have, I would like us to be flexible enough to find a manager that fits what Jose leaves behind. I am sure there will be enough time between when Jose is either sacked or decides to leave and our next appointment to assess the squad to know who's the perfect fit.
Well yes, but I’m just not confident that there’s anyone at the club aside from the manager that’s capable of carrying out the necessary assessments and making decisions based on them. Woody? He seems to have learned a lot in his time in post, but that’s not his thing really. It just seems inevitable that a change of manager will involve yet more player churn and transition.

On a more positive note, it’s a bit of a myth that Jose’s inevitable messy departure from a club leaves the squad in “disarray”. Look how well Chelsea (twice) and Madrid did after he left. Inter didn’t, but their squad was ancient and Rafa didn’t help...

Long Ball

Given the squad Jose will leave behind Simeone is the most obvious fit for continuity of style and suitability, but I would like a "breath of fresh air" in Sarri, Tuchel, Jardim etc, attackers

Poch should be considered for his track record of development too.

Sir Alex had to win the European cup with Aberdeen ffs before he was considered, and we were a mess at that time, is one of the poll choices going to do the same in the next few years?

Red_toad

Given the squad Jose will leave behind Simeone is the most obvious fit for continuity of style and suitability, but I would like a "breath of fresh air" in Sarri, Tuchel, Jardim etc, attackers

Poch should be considered for his track record of development too.

Sir Alex had to win the European cup with Aberdeen ffs before he was considered, and we were a mess at that time, is one of the poll choices going to do the same in the next few years?
Fully agree, we need a manager who can work with the players we have. Or we need to plan who we buy that’d suit Jose’ replacement.
City managed their transition to Pep very well. United have chopped & changed with very little thought. Fans don’t seem to get that it takes time to transition players from one philosophy to another. Also players can’t be bought and sold in the drop of a hat.

PragueRed

That does not make sense at all.

If Nagelsmann gets the Bayern job and doing a good job there, then he will stay there as long as possible. You make it sound, as if Bayern would be a stepping stone to go to United.
I don't think it's a case of a stepping stone but more of a sideways move. Even top managers don't stick around for more than 3-4 years these days due to short term nature of football so I don't think it's unrealistic to envisage a scenario where he'd go to Bayern, do well for a bit and then be looking for another move in a few year's time.

I appreciate it's a much longer shot than someone like Poch, but I was just surprised he'd not been mentioned much (if at all) in the thread so far, given that he seems to be the most talked about young manager in Europe at the minute.

Stacks

Fair enough, and he could prove me wrong - but I don't see that extra special something about him that others do. I just don't.

And he really doesn't have any pressure from the media, never mind what he said before, the media never gives him a hard time compared to other managers.
I hear you. its more about his values e.g. commitment to youth, developing youth to potential, fast, furious attacking football. These align somewhat to what a United manager should be. Put it this way, if United failed to win something with Poch as manager, you would possibly enjoy it more than not winning something under Jose due to these other boxes being ticked.

deafepl

For me, it's Sarri the Napoli manager. Sarri believes in exciting attacking football. He is doing a great job at Napoli and he is someone that can work with a tight budget and can get the best out of players without needing expensive signings. We need a manager that can coach and develop players and can bring in the right players to improve the squad rather than just buy marquee players.

Sarri has been quoted as saying “The transfer market is for people who don’t want to talk about football,” he snapped when asked if defensive reinforcements would arrive, preferring instead to work with the players already at his disposal. “It’s something that bad coaches seek refuge in.”
That's it. We have a lot of young attacking talents like Rashford, Martial, Periera, Gomes and many other players, I think Sarri is the right coach to develop them, they all have potential to be world class.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Allegri ,Ancelotti , Simeone will be the safest bets.

Sarri, Jardim, Poch will be the exciting ones.

Jaap

This. The style of play has been very poor in recent years and not what you'd expect from a club of United's stature. Big clubs have an obligation to entertain and win trophies with style. We will end up losing a lot of fans around the world playing like we do. There is no identity to the team although that could just be a result of having 3 completely different managers since Fergie retired but that's no excuse for not playing how United have traditionally played. Our philosophy has always been to attack and win games with style and flair and any manager who arrives here must embrace these traditions. My personal choice would be Jardim but I'd welcome any one of Pochettino, Sarri or even Ancellotti as well. I might get some stick for this but I believe even Klopp would get us playing better attacking football. The problem with Liverpool is personnel not coaching. Klopp at least tries to play on the front foot and encourages risks from his forwards.
Exactly.

RedStrudel76

i won't be popular but...

Giggsy should of got it after Moyes

Atleast we would see attacking football 4-4-2 with flying wingers. And I don't think we'd be much worse off then we are now with Jose's shite-on-a-stick-football he's dishing up every-week.

Atleast we would have an identity and a way forward, without having to rebuild and change managers every couple of seasons and pressing the reset button which just wastes time and money. Our club was set up for Giggsy's football.

I think the irony is, that for all the Giggsy bashing on this forum, that it might've been the smartest move, not necessary straight after Fergie, but certainly Moyes. And would've saved the club money and also get the club great PR "from the boot room to manager Giggsy!"

Sometimes all this tactics bollox is overrated and you need a good old fashioned manager ala Harry Redknapp to keep things simple to these thicko footballers. I think our players during Van Gaal and now Mourinho suffer from getting drilled with too many instructions/tactics and it is mentally too tiring for them..British players the the likes of Phil Jones, Smalling etc benefit from simple man-management like Fergie delivered.

Fergie wasn't a tactical masterclass manager, but he was the best man-manager. I doubt Zidane is a tactical wizard but the players respect him and know what he is saying is right.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
And being a huge club, with huge resources, we can pull the best of managers,...
Like Moyes and LVG? :p

Also, if there's a chance of getting Conte once he leaves Chelsea, I am all for it.
Conte would be very interesting.
A lot of people don't like him, but he won the league in his first season and is doing "okay" in his second season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
i won't be popular but...

Giggsy should of got it after Moyes
So, the job which experienced managers are finding difficult to grasp, you want Giggs to be put under that level of pressure and expect him to do well?
And this is the same Giggs who can't get a job in another EPL club (though he has tried), because he has no relevant experience?

Nick.

I voted for Allegri but for the record I would also take Leonardo Jardim. Not as proven as some other managers on the list but I feel he could recreate what is essentially a better, more defensively sound version of his 16/17 Monaco side. Fast, attacking, exciting football with a team that man for man you would think would be better than that Monaco side given the money we have to buy better players in each position.

Norris

Fergie wasn't a tactical masterclass manager, but he was the best man-manager. I doubt Zidane is a tactical wizard but the players respect him and know what he is saying is right.
Not this again.

No manager survives for as long as they did if they weren't good at the tactical side of things. The number of times Sir Alex rebuilt teams, reshaped tactics and still had us winning trophies on a consistent basis cannot be achieved if he wasn't great at everything.

sparx99

Leonardo Jardim, Mauricio Pochettino, Jorge Sampaoli or Marcelino (whose doing great things with Valencia) would all be interesting and exciting choices. I'm also interested in how Nagelsmann keeps developing at Hoffenheim.

Ideally I'd prefer us to get an up and coming coach in their 40's rather than a coach in their 50's or 60's. Moyes seemed to be overwhelmed, LVG seemed out of touch or just generally stuck in his ways while Mourinho seems to be struggling to keep up with the new breed somewhat. It would be nice to be on the cutting edge of the latest football trends rather than playing catchup all the time.

Reactions: Invictus

poleglass red

I think this idea that we must get a top proven manager in has to be looked at. Experience is powerful of course it is, but Moyes had PL experience, LVG had experience at top level in world football, Jose will go down as one of the greatest. I can't see any of them staying past 3 seasons. That manager rotation policy doesn't work for us. I'd prefer someone whose in it for a longer duration. Someone around long enough, they look to the future, they promote young players. It's not in Jose's interest to play young players, because by the time he irons out their mistakes he's gone. He's for the here and now. That mentality works for Real, even Chelsea, not so sure it works for us. I'm a really big fan of Silva at Watford or someone of that ilk ie young, plays good football, hungry for success. Jose will probably try and throw another wad of money at someone in Jan. It's what he does. To hear rumours that we need to sell before we buy makes you wonder why Lindelof was bought. A position we really didn't need strengthening, when other positions were crying out for new players. I don't see us winning the league this season, so the short term thinking of bringing Jose in and we'll win league within 2 seasons isn't working.let's look to build not just for immediate success but for more prolonged success.

Minimalist

This career is just nothing impressive enough to manage a club like Manchester United. All I can see here is getting this guy as our manager will be our shortest way for becoming the new Liverpool.
It’s more impressive than Moyes at least thank god. If we were to go for a left-field appointment.

el3mel

It’s more impressive than Moyes at least thank god. If we were to go for a left-field appointment.
Since when Moyes is considered the standard to rate other managers based on ?

And we should never go for a left field appointment as long as there're other established managers available.

Infra-red

The bookies favourites currently are:

Pochettino 3/1
Ancelotti 8/1
Someone 8/1
Allegri 8/1
Low 8/1
Tuchel 10/1

AshRK

Given the disparity in resources across the club football landscape I wonder how reasonable it is to only measure success by trophies won. What I mostly smell is a lack of faith and of guts.
I have always been critical of how Real and Barca dispatch their managers, but they have the b*lls to try what they fancy. Many put stock in what they did in the academy, but the fact is that Zidane and Pep won 0 trophies before taking over the 1st team of their old clubs. And with the 1st team comes managing egos, in my mind man-management becomes at least 50% of the job whilst quasi-inexistent at academy level.
So there is definitely more in requirements for the job than "been there done that", the chemistry with the group of players/staff, the manager's personality, ambitions and general take on modern football also come into play.
I hope people reading don't take this as a vote for Giggs. I voted for L. Blanc (if only for the toothpick) and am Jardim-curious.
I understand your point and I would very much support the idea of having Poch or Jardim becoming our next manager but the problem is there is no guarantee they will win the league (which should be our target). That is why it is very important we win the league under Jose and give a platform to our next manager. I can easily see our club appointing Ancelotti if the Jose thing does not work out.

Minimalist

Since when Moyes is considered the standard to rate other managers based on ?

And we should never go for a left field appointment as long as there're other established managers available.
You’re making an assumption there that I want Silva. Simply saying we’ve had worse in Moyes. I wouldn’t be anywhere near as dejected with him taking over as I was in the case of the latter taking over.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I voted Giggs for a laugh, presuming the other 27 did it for the same reason!

suhaylah

Voted for Ancelotti. He knows the premier league and even won it with Chelsea. He would be able to attract very good players.

Bojan11

Why is Sarri constantly being mentioned? Might as well mention Splaetti whilst we at it.

27 years as a manager and no trophy to show for it. If he was great as you guy say he was why has he not been given a top job way before Napoli as there is always a revolving door of managers at the top Italian clubs.

Some people are really confused. These people laugh at Liverpool for winning nothing yet playing better football than us. Now would prefer us to hire managers who hasn’t won anything just so we can play nice football. So what do people exactly want?

el3mel

You’re making an assumption there that I want Silva. Simply saying we’ve had worse in Moyes. I wouldn’t be anywhere near as dejected with him taking over as I was in the case of the latter taking over.
I didn't say you want him or not. I said we shouldn't put him even in the contest.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some people are really confused. These people laugh at Liverpool for winning nothing yet playing better football than us. Now would prefer us to hire managers who hasn’t won anything just so we can play nice football. So what do people exactly want?
Some people would have us win nothing, just so they can be entertained. There is even a full thread about this topic.
Rival supporters would love it if that happened, which is why I feel, Jose is the best manager for us.
The mere fact that we appear to be the most hated club once again and Jose the most hated manager in the league, tells me that we are absolutely on the right track.
I have not forgotten those dark days when we hired Moyes and even LVG, when rival supporters would laugh at us and even feel sorry for us. No rival club supporter is feeling sorry for us now.

I think we have 1 EPL loss at OT for about a year and it feels good to know that OT is once again a fortress and any team coming to OT, will now expect to lose or at best, get a lucky draw.
We just need to do something about our away form.

Minimalist

Some people would have us win nothing, just so they can be entertained. There is even a full thread about this topic.
Rival supporters would love it if that happened, which is why I feel, Jose is the best manager for us.
The mere fact that we appear to be the most hated club once again and Jose the most hated manager in the league, tells me that we are absolutely on the right track.
I have not forgotten those dark days when we hired Moyes and even LVG, when rival supporters would laugh at us and even feel sorry for us. No rival club supporter is feeling sorry for us now.

I think we have 1 EPL loss at OT for about a year and it feels good to know that OT is once again a fortress and any team coming to OT, will now expect to lose or at best, get a lucky draw.
We just need to do something about our away form.
Well that was literally what some said regarding Van Gaal. It was absurd then, it still is now.

There's always a balance needed.

Arka_BleedingRed

A comparatively young, aggressive, on the rise, fresh ideas, conviction and self belief and most importantly, an attacking manager. The safe route of renowned pragmatic manager, winning mentality, bullishness hasn't worked too well for us recently, has it? Sarri, Pochettino are the types we should be focusing upon.

Last edited:

Nick.

Voted for Ancelotti. He knows the premier league and even won it with Chelsea. He would be able to attract very good players.
I don't think Ancelotti is great at building teams, he typically comes in with the finished product and has a go at Europe, and his League record is appalling for the teams he's managed imo.

I honestly think he is one of the most overrated managers in the world.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I voted Poch. But then I wondered if he might be the next Moyes. He does need to win something I think.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Simeone would be good I think. I initially was thinking Poch but he needs to win something to convince me he's not just a Moyes character and that he can really lift a team. Not sure he has the fire.

crossy1686

career ending
Voted for Marco Silva. The things he has done with bang average clubs is unreal. Not to forget he's won championships in Greece and trophies in Portugal which is already more than most.

He's the next Poch but he actually knows what it takes to instil a winning mentality and doesn't keep chasing the biggest competition he's because other trophies seem small in comparison.

crossy1686

career ending
I voted Poch. But then I wondered if he might be the next Moyes. He does need to win something I think.
This is my concern with Poch. Never won anything as a manager and looks like he won't for a while. Has had the chance to win trophies but seems to brush easier options aside for the likes of the Premier League or the Champions League because he feels it would be a bigger achievement for him and the club. No one will remember this great Tottenham side that won nothing in 10 years time and his tenure will be seen as a missed opportunity.