[Poll Added] Hypothetical: Next manager after Jose Mourinho

Who would be your current choice for next manager after Jose Mourinho?

• Total voters

haram

I have already said it... but I'll say it again. Leonardo Jardim!

He is everything we need.

• He's an attacking manager.
  • Tactically astute as shown with his exploits in Ligue 1 and the Champions League
  • He plays an evolved 4-4-2
  • He has a phenomenal eye for talent
  • He believes in academy talent progression
  • He is a winner! Won in a league where PSG outspends them 10:1

This man is exactly what we need. He would bring back the flair and fire that we have been renowned for, for 60 years.
Thought he played defensive football in Portugal?

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
My choice is Simeone just because he'd get us the closest to Manchester City but then my general mental wellbeing doesn't depend on attacking football as much as everyone else's on here.

ErranMorad

None of that is any evidence that they stopped playing for the manager. How does our transfer window have anything to do with it?

All we have to go by is one game really.
It's more than one game. If your appointed captain in the prematch comments after the first game of the season mentions that he has to hold himself as he doesn't want to get fined and then after the second game talks about the 'attitude not being right", then there is every possibility there is some issue and things aren't right behind the scenes.

Dong Fangzhuo

It's more than one game. If your appointed captain in the prematch comments after the first game of the season mentions that he has to hold himself as he doesn't want to get fined and then after the second game talks about the 'attitude not being right", then there is every possibility there is some issue and things aren't right behind the scenes.
Or it could just be that Pogba is a bit of a primadonna...

Not really defending Mourinho btw, things don't look right with us and based on past evidence of him being a narcissistic grinch he's obv the most likely culprit. But we still have no way of knowing.

ErranMorad

Or it could just be that Pogba is a bit of a primadonna...

Not really defending Mourinho btw, things don't look right with us and based on past evidence of him being a narcissistic grinch he's obv the most likely culprit. But we still have no way of knowing.
I am not making a definite statement. Neither I am vilifying Jose. Merely saying that something from the outside doesn't look alright. Most of the stuff written here is conjunction based on what we see on the pitch, the press statements and various articles. I doubt we'll ever have the true picture of what is going on. To ask for concrete evidence for these things is preposterous.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Still no Conte added to the poll?

1- 3 at the best would arguably get the best out of our current set of defenders
2- got the best out of Pogba at Juventus
3- Wanted Lukaku at Chelsea

Like I've said before I feel this squad is all setup for him to do what he did at Chelsea

Poch could take us backwards before going forwards such are the different demands he'd put on this squad
Zidane obviously unproven outside of that amazing Real Madrid side

soapythecat

I’d be really happy with Jardim if he came in along with a DOF or equivalent. If anything, the last 3 managers appointments have shown us that the structure at the club needs to change and brought up to date.
Poch would cost a fortune and would be even consider it? Not sure on that.
Jardim, from the list above, for me, is the best chance of changing our style of play whilst giving youth a chance. If we were to change managers, another defensive minded approach manager would be just pointless.

Enigma_87

You know who
My choice is Simeone just because he'd get us the closest to Manchester City but then my general mental wellbeing doesn't depend on attacking football as much as everyone else's on here.
We're minority it seems mate.

Simeone ticks all boxes. Great motivator, can adjust to different teams and can build different teams as shown at Atletico. Can work with tight budget, has a clear gameplan and is excellent tactician.

cantaldo

simeone for me as well, I don't think his way of playing is as bad as some make out, I would say he reminds me of the old mourinho, he can outsmart the top attacking managers, his teams are so well organized, the players seem to love fighting for him on the pitch, attacking players tend to flourish under him for a 'defensive' manager, his team seem comfortable on the ball and seeing out matches for a majority of the time and he doesn't seem like a disruptive manager off the pitch.

Razwy

Poch, Zidane or Jardim for me. Neither of them ticks all the boxes in terms of winning,being proven at the highest level or building a team ,but each one of those have what it takes to make us move forward. There isn't an ideal candidate ( Pep would be the only one, but it's out of the question), so we need to make sure that the next manager has a vision , a strong personality and modern approach ( one mediocre manager and 2 has-been ones demonstrated that it won't work with proven coaches ).
We need to take a risk and trust our instincts, but unfortunately, the people that are currently running the club have no clue how to do that, so I'm guessing that we'll do a Liverpool and keep making the same mistakes...Hope I'm wrong.

Seven Seas Sardines

I think we need a change but it is a bit harsh to make a table like this after 2 games of the season.
After two games against Leicester and Brighton we are the team with least time in the final 3rd in the premier league. Says something already, and it's not like it's that different from last season...

Last edited:

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
Simeone I think would be the best to hit the ground running and probably one of the most attainable.

ravi2

Simeone I think would be the best to hit the ground running and probably one of the most attainable.
Simeone's football is not very easy on the eye, that would be my only problem hiring him.
I agree about Simeone but after the last 3 years it would be nice to see exciting attacking play on the pitch for once.
Poch would be my leading candidate, but would the board sanction the huge outlay it would take to get him from tottenham?

I agree about Simeone but after the last 3 years it would be nice to see exciting attacking play on the pitch for once.
Poch would be my leading candidate, but would the board sanction the huge outlay it would take to get him from tottenham?
Me personally I wanted Tuchel, he was available for nearly a year before PSG snapped him up. I wouldn't mind Poch, he's got everything you would look for in a Utd manager. Obviously he's yet to win anything but I think if you give him a good foundation and a bit of money he could do wonders for us. Shaw, Martial, Pereira, Pogba, Dalot he would whip them into shape in no time.

But like you said the question is how much would he cost? I wouldn't even know what figure to suggest, a manager with 5 years in their contract?
Hmm £30-40mill maybe?

Reiver

Me personally I wanted Tuchel, he was available for nearly a year before PSG snapped him up. I wouldn't mind Poch, he's got everything you would look for in a Utd manager. Obviously he's yet to win anything but I think if you give him a good foundation and a bit of money he could do wonders for us. Shaw, Martial, Pereira, Pogba, Dalot he would whip them into shape in no time.

But like you said the question is how much would he cost? I wouldn't even know what figure to suggest, a manager with 5 years in their contract?
Hmm £30-40mill maybe?
If he got us playing good football and a certain level of success he'd be more than worth it.

Seven Seas Sardines

Never in a million years do I want Simeone or Allegri, as if 5 years of defensive football wasn't enough. As much as it pains me to say, we need to follow suit and get a manager with a playing style of Klopp or Guardiola. We should be winning games 6-0 too..

redmanx

Not sure how long Jose Mourinho will stay at the club, surely another 2/3 seasons atleast, hopefully more - but re: the next manager, I'm almost at a blank. Any names caught your eye, someone you would like to take over, assuming Jose Mourinho has steadied the ship?

Pochettino, err Giggs, Ancelotti, etc
What about Zidane?

ravi2

What about Zidane?
As much as I liked zidane as both a player and a manager, I'm not sure how he'd fare with his current group of United players. However if there is a man to get Pogba and martial playing to their potential it would be him.

Kapardin

Never in a million years do I want Simeone or Allegri, as if 5 years of defensive football wasn't enough. As much as it pains me to say, we need to follow suit and get a manager with a playing style of Klopp or Guardiola. We should be winning games 6-0 too..
I like Allegri, but you are right. We have played shit football for too long. I don't even care about winning the league, being entertained is far more important.

That being said, no manager is going to get us winning 6-0 if Ed continues to handle transfers and meddle in their decisions. Klopp and Guardiola were able to implement their vision only after working with a sound football structure and buying the right players.

But since we can't get rid of Ed's influence on football matters, best we can do is go for some progressive manager and hope shit sticks.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Jesus Christ, Simeone and Conte?
What the feck? We've all been moaning about this shit for 5 years, you lot want to carry it on?

Fer

Just curious... Which available manager has the playing style of Kloop/Guardiola?

el3mel

Jardim looks to be the only good option available for me coming next season. Zidane will turn to a disaster here imo and would feel sorry for him tbh, and Poch is unavailable. Allegri too seems out of option.

Jardim will play good football with what in his disposal and will secure top 4 most of times. Think that's what both the board and fans will like.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Jardim looks to be the only good option available for me coming next season. Zidane will turn to a disaster here imo and would feel sorry for him tbh, and Poch is unavailable. Allegri too seems out of option.

Jardim will play good football with what in his disposal and will secure top 4 most of times. Think that's what both the board and fans will like.
What makes you think that?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
As much as I liked zidane as both a player and a manager, I'm not sure how he'd fare with his current group of United players. However if there is a man to get Pogba and martial playing to their potential it would be him.
I don't understand this argument. Surely he'd be afforded a few transfer windows to keep who he liked and bring in replacements too. LVG got 4 windows, Jose has had 5. Shouldn't Zidane, if it is to be him, be afforded the same?

el3mel

What makes you think that?
There's no player in this squad that will be able to help him imply his crossing strategy he did at Madrid. Will need a full set of fullbacks or wingers to start with, which I doubt we'll be able to fund all of this with loads of players running out of contract next season as well. Also don't think he'll handle the crap English media pressure if he has a rough start. He struggled with it in La Liga last season when the team was having terrible results in the league. He's also a very "yes" man when it comes to transfers and linking this with his needing of good players to cross, can turn to a disaster quite quickly on the pitch. Needless, this appointment will speak like a complete panic decision exactly like LVG and Mourinho appointments as well, see who's available and put him in charge without thinking if he'll have the tools for his tactics or now. I love Zidane so honestly, I'll feel sorry for him if he failed here which is what I expect.

We need a manager who can play with whoever he has in his disposal without a certain criteria. Jardim and Poch check this box for me. One is completely unavailable and the other can be convinced to join since he's managing Monaco. He'll do well, play good football with whoever he has, secure top 4 and peace will return without much drama.

Revaulx

simeone for me as well, I don't think his way of playing is as bad as some make out, I would say he reminds me of the old mourinho, he can outsmart the top attacking managers, his teams are so well organized, the players seem to love fighting for him on the pitch, attacking players tend to flourish under him for a 'defensive' manager, his team seem comfortable on the ball and seeing out matches for a majority of the time and he doesn't seem like a disruptive manager off the pitch.
I voted Simeone and particularly agree with the bolded bit.

After 2+ years of Jose, surely the last thing we want is a manager who’s going to do an 180 degree turn in the style of football. We’d be better off sticking to what the players have got used to, but executed better by a manager who hasn’t lost confidence.

L1nk

Just curious... Which available manager has the playing style of Kloop/Guardiola?
Tuchel. Who we had a perfect opportunity to grab in the summer, especially if we were not going to fully back Mourinho.

Mainoldo

I voted Simeone and particularly agree with the bolded bit.

After 2+ years of Jose, surely the last thing we want is a manager who’s going to do an 180 degree turn in the style of football. We’d be better off sticking to what the players have got used to, but executed better by a manager who hasn’t lost confidence.
We don’t have the players for what Jose wants this is a Zidane team. Tika taka ain’t us either as LVG proved.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There's no player in this squad that will be able to help him imply his crossing strategy he did at Madrid. Will need a full set of fullbacks or wingers to start with, which I doubt we'll be able to fund all of this with loads of players running out of contract next season as well. Also don't think he'll handle the crap English media pressure if he has a rough start. He struggled with it in La Liga last season when the team was having terrible results in the league. He's also a very "yes" man when it comes to transfers and linking this with his needing of good players to cross, can turn to a disaster quite quickly on the pitch. Needless, this appointment will speak like a complete panic decision exactly like LVG and Mourinho appointments as well, see who's available and put him in charge without thinking if he'll have the tools for his tactics or now. I love Zidane so honestly, I'll feel sorry for him if he failed here which is what I expect.

We need a manager who can play with whoever he has in his disposal without a certain criteria. Jardim and Poch check this box for me. One is completely unavailable and the other can be convinced to join since he's managing Monaco. He'll do well, play good football with whoever he has, secure top 4 and peace will return without much drama.
Would it not be fair to suggest that Zizou adopted this crossing strategy because he had outstanding wide forwards in the mould of Ronaldo and Bale at his disposal. Implying that he is unable to extend his tactical nouse beyond that of a single strategy seems a little harsh given his list of accomplishments whilst managing Real Madrid. He is still relatively inexperienced as a football manager, so he has time to improve his efforts in the media.

el3mel

Would it not be fair to suggest that Zizou adopted this crossing strategy because he had outstanding wide forwards in the mould of Ronaldo and Bale at his disposal. Implying that he is unable to extend his tactical nouse beyond that of a single strategy seems a little harsh given his list of accomplishments whilst managing Real Madrid. He is still relatively inexperienced as a football manager, so he has time to improve his efforts in the media.
I have seen several of their La Liga games and even when it wasn't working, they kept on crossing regardless. It's his prime strategy. He loves to use the wide areas and don't pefer congesting the center of the field.

That's not a criticism for him btw, but I think our current squad won't suit him for that fact and since as I said, he's a very yes man when it comes to transfers, it can become ugly. Perez left him with Benzema and Mayoral as his two striking options up front and he didn't complain when the team went on a disastrous results during Ronaldo off form period due to lack of alternative scoing options, he didn't complain and defended Benzema in the media. The results didn't improve at all at this time anyway till Ronaldo hit his form, so here he won't moan about lack of transfers in the areas he needs but will go on trying to imply his strategy. The full recipe can lead to a disaster.

The key is getting a manager who will suit your current squad, not the biggest name available and force him to adapt to what you have. Zidane is a good manager with good tactical setup, but not sure the current squad will suit his ideas of football.

Jardim or Poch look like more of extracting the best they can from their players at their disposal kind of manager, something that will suit everyone. There won't be also any extra drama or pressure since they aren't your trophy hunting must win or doomed manager.

LolYo

I'd go with Gary Neville.

I want a former player to coach Man Utd because I think we've lost the United way, lost the identity and I want someone who understands what its all about.

Promoting ex players as managers seemed to work for Barcelona and Madrid.

Sack Mourinho soon Have Neville take over. He has the whole season to get the hang of it.

Mourinho has likely lost the dressing room and our football is bad. Neville cant possibly be a downgrade

Last edited by a moderator:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
We don’t have the players for what Jose wants this is a Zidane team. Tika taka ain’t us either as LVG proved.
How is this a Zidane team though? I'm not saying he can't make us good, I just don't really see anything about us that screams Zidane.

And I don't think LVG proved much regarding our squad's suitability to possession football, given that his squad then was quite different from what we have now, and the players who should have been key for him weren't firing. Most fans also seem to agree that his philosophy was outdated anyway.

Greck

Why the feck are we going backward season after season.
Mourinho's first season wasn't particularly good but we still created chances for fun (and wasted most of it). Now we struggle to get 2-3 shot on target per game.
Lack of preseason couldn't have helped a team that already had piss poor cohesion. In hindsight maybe we should have kept the ball after scoring against Leicester to help the players regain some rhythm playing with each other. Even for our not so high standards the Brighton game showed cohesion at an all time low

Nikelesh Reddy

Why the feck are we going backward season after season.
Mourinho's first season wasn't particularly good but we still created chances for fun (and wasted most of it). Now we struggle to get 2-3 shot on target per game.
Relax,we are 2 games into the season...It’s a tad bit early to say that we have gone “backwards” this season...