Who would you rather have in the squad?

• Welbeck

Votes: 136 65.1%
  • Falcao

Votes: 73 34.9%

• Total voters

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hindsight is great to answer this question so I'd go with Welbeck so even if he's a rubbish goalscorer, he still has more use than Falcao.

mufcwarm92

Welbeck isn't prolific and probably never will be but we'd look significantly better with him in the side.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Welbeck but that's a comment on how poor (and expensive) Falcao has been, rather than a feeling we were wrong to sell Welbeck. We simply chose a bad option to replace him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I never liked the strategy of adding quality strikers to compensate for weaknesses in other areas. The trouble with such strategy is that there's a strong possibility that the ball will never reach the forward line in the first place. Also having so many prima donnas in the same position is a problem. Whose going to track back? Why should one striker pass the ball to another especially when both need to score goals to justify their role in the team (one player is at the end of his contract while the other is on loan)? SAF made it work, there again SAF had other agendas which kind of including not adding/removing staff in CM + it did caused frictions with Rooney.

Falcao reminds me alot of the Shevcenko deal a couple of years back. He came to Britain at a quite an old age, with a lot to prove and not much motivation to do so (lets face it, Falcao wanted to go to Madrid and not cold Manchester). He had to adapt to a football mentality which is completely different to his and found a team which wasn't built around his strengths. In many ways Welbeck was more appropriate to United then him. There again, Welbeck wanted to play regularly something we couldn't offer him.

Ultimately both have/had to leave. We've got the forwards we need (RVP, Rooney and Wilson) and our system/team can't afford more then a striker upfront.

Kag

Danny. Comfortably better outside the box and on this season's evidence there's not a great deal of difference inside the box either.

His pace, athleticism, ball retention and link up play, particularly when with Rooney, is something we could do with. Never mind.

SammyUnited_83

Welbeck.

Quicker, stronger and brilliant link up. Also for someone that doesn't score, he probably would have scored more than Falcao, we dropped a ball.

edit. Falcs has better hair.

Rednotdead

I didn't even vote on this, it's just an idiotic question. Just another "what a great player Welbeck is" thread. He was never that good here, he's gone, just get over it and move on with your life, the same as the rest of us.

Ixion

Didn't rate Wellbeck when he was here and still don't think he's good enough for us. You at least get the feeling there is more to come from Falcao and he just needs a little luck to go on a run. I would not swap them although I wouldn't be playing both Falcao and RVP together but that's a different issue.

LR7

Some of our best play in and around the box in the last few seasons had Welbeck involved. We would be so much more balanced with him in the team, over Falcao. We would have the pace up front to stretch teams, and therefore we would have a striker who actually compliments RvP. We would have another option other than RvP to hold up the ball and bring others into play. Welbeck is also better than Falcao at dropping deep and is unselfish in his play, he always tracks pack and is excellent at dispossessing opposition players. Falcao tries hard and is giving everything and I feel a bit sorry for him (I wanted him to succeed here, and genuinely believed he would) but the balance of the team would be far better with Welbeck in it.

Rednotdead

Welbeck was going anyway, regardless of whether Falcao or anyone else was signed so it's irrelevant really.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Wellbeck by a mile. He is better than Wilson and Falcao this season. He is a poor goalscorer but a very good player, I was all for selling him mind, but we brought in the wrong replacement. Hindsight though I guess, who would have thought Falcao would have lost it this badly. Was worth the gamble, but c'mon LVG drop Falcao to the bench!

Silverman

I don't think we were wrong to let Welbeck leave. I also think Falcao will leave at the end of the season. Rooney, Wilson and RVP are enough up front imo as long as we swap to 4-3-3.

jojose

Falcao has the attitude, morality and personality of a young local kid that has come through the ranks and is genuinley delighted to be at Manchester United.

Welbeck has the attitude, morallity and personality of the stereotypical South American / prima dona

Borys

Statistics Wizard
As I said in the other thread, if we are playing 2 strikers and one of them is RvP/Falcao, the second has to play supportive striker role. The way we’re using them this is never going to work, while one of them + Welbeck could’ve worked. Ideally Danny should stay as an option, now we have too many similar players up front (but it was sensible decision from him).

If we played one up front then Falcao. But that’s not happening this season.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Falcao has the attitude, morality and personality of a young local kid that has come through the ranks and is genuinley delighted to be at Manchester United.

Welbeck has the attitude, morallity and personality of the stereotypical South American / prima dona
Falcao has all the motivation, attitude and personality of a player whose trying to justify his ridiculously high salary. Considering that real turned him down hes delighted to get his final pay cheque at united

Welbeck still has a point to prove and plenty of mileage left in him. Hence why he cant afford being 3rd choice anymore

red_7

I wonder if Welbeck, given the same game time as Falcao, had scored 4 goals as well. No matter how good Falcao can be, the speed of Welbz would be useful!

If we hadn't signed Falcao, maybe we wouldn't adjust our formation to play 2 strikers and rooney in midfield. THAT would be the biggest advantage, no matter if Falco or Welbeck would be included.

Last edited:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Where the hell do you get that from?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Hindsight is great to answer this question so I'd go with Welbeck so even if he's a rubbish goalscorer, he still has more use than Falcao.
I distinctly recall a lot of people (myself included) complaining about the sale of Welbeck at the time, so I dont think it is just a case of hindsight being 20/20.

pacifictheme

Erm. Shouldn't this be Wilson v Welbeck / Hernandez v Falcao as they were equivalents. We didn't get rid of Welbeck to make room for Falcao. LVG said Wilson was a better prospect...

ottosec

The difference between them is that one if out of form and lacking confidence and one is just not good enough.

JUPITER

Welbeck.

Quicker, stronger and brilliant link up. Also for someone that doesn't score, he probably would have scored more than Falcao, we dropped a ball.

edit. Falcs has better hair.
No chance! :nono:

Big Daddy Kane vs Darron Gibson in a Travolta wig - Big Daddy Kane every time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I distinctly recall a lot of people (myself included) complaining about the sale of Welbeck at the time, so I dont think it is just a case of hindsight being 20/20.
Complaining about Welbeck leaving is one thing but I was talking about a direct comparison between the 2 at the club. At the time of Falcao's arrival and Welbeck's departure, I don't think many thought Radamel would not work to the extent it has despite being annoyed.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Falcao! I would still want us to buy him if we can get a reasonable fee. I think there's a few problems. If we think back to the Tevez situation, he wasn't that great for us goalscoring wise but he knew he wasn't first choice. He said as much. Then we bought Berbatov and we lose the player. I think he flourished at City being the main man. I think Falcao has been unlucky at times but he needs to be the main man. Though it was nice link up played between him and RVP for Falcaos chance, that's about the only time. I think both would thrive with goalscoring wingers either side. Players that can offer us quality width up top.

Welbeck can be a top player but he will never be someone you can rely on. If we could, he'd our first choice striker because he had much of everything else.

thejtrain

The difference between them is that one if out of form and lacking confidence and one is just not good enough.
This. I'd also add that the former is pretty much done at the highest level which is a massive shame knowing his abilities.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Info from here - http://www.squawka.com/comparison-m.../goals_-_headed/chances_created/assists#total

Welbeck - Falcao

Total shots: 47 - 29
Goals score: 4 - 4

Conversion rate: 8.51% - 13.79%
Goals per game: 0.24 - 0.27
Minutes per goal: 356 - 215
Shots per game: 2.76 - 1.93
Minutes per shot: 30 - 29

Chances created: 27 - 12
Assists: 2 - 3

Falcao all day, every day. The only issue is that as it stands, it's not as clear cut as I expected though formation, fitness and other caveats provide context for this. That said, it's still a much better minute per goal ratio, more assists and conversion rate. We have better players to fill the versatility option that Welbeck was available for.

Rednotdead

I dont agree at all with this

I reckon he just needed some reassurances and he could have stayed
Reassurances about what? He thought he was a central striker, he left because neither Fergie nor Moyes would play him there and Van Gaal was of the same opinion. Where's he playing at Arsenal now Giroud is back? Yes, you've guessed it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Complaining about Welbeck leaving is one thing but I was talking about a direct comparison between the 2 at the club. At the time of Falcao's arrival and Welbeck's departure, I don't think many thought Radamel would not work to the extent it has despite being annoyed.
Fair enough, I am happy to say that I was in that minority that didnt think Falcao would be a good signing for us at all - too similar to RVP and unbalanced squad stuff.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Falcao all day, every day. The only issue is that as it stands, it's not as clear cut as I expected though formation, fitness and other caveats provide context for this. That said, it's still a much better minute per goal ratio, more assists and conversion rate. We have better players to fill the versatility option that Welbeck was available for.
That's not the only issue at all. Falcao can't run to put it mildly while Welbeck's pace would have been a huge plus. Stats are well and good but they don't tell us everything. Welbeck doesn't get a goal or assist for Arsenal goal against Spurs and that's exactly the kikd of player we are lacking.

Also Falcao has missed more clear cut chances this season than Welbeck has even if the latter does have more shots.