[Poll] Falcao vs Welbeck Revisited

Who would you rather have in the squad?

• Welbeck

Votes: 136 65.1%
  • Falcao

Votes: 73 34.9%

• Total voters

Robbie Boy

The title should have made it pretty obvious what the thread was going to be about, no?
What's the point though? Seriously. I guess it's just another thread to bash Falcao and delve into extreme revisionism regarding Welbeck. Fair enough.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What's the point though? Seriously. I guess it's just another thread to bash Falcao and delve into extreme revisionism regarding Welbeck. Fair enough.
The point seems to be to discuss whether removing Welbeck from the squad and replacing him with Falcao has been for the best.

Granted, I'm only guessing based on the thread title, OP and poll.

Don't wanna talk about that? Don't click the thread.

Robbie Boy

The point seems to be to discuss whether removing Welbeck from the squad and replacing him with Falcao has been for the best.

Don't quote me if you don't like my opinions. Just saying.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
When Welbeck does not score he still finds a way to make some sort of impact Falcao does not. Welbck also can play in a bunch of different position and some different roles.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Welbeck by a country mile.

Better player and we'd be better team.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male

Madness!

Robbie Boy

Early shout for most ironic post award.
Really? Do you understand the word? I clicked into the thread assuming that 'neither' would be an option, as y'know, it would be logical. That option wasn't there and myself and others feel it should. It would leave more scope for debate etc.

Walters_19_MuFc

If Falcao had Welbeck next to him, I personally think we'd see better performances from Radamel. Welbeck, although he should score more, more often than not, brings out the best of the players around him. Unselfish movement, great link up play, constantly on the move, both towards and away from goal. He's just '*** guy'.

Right now Welbeck would offer more, but bringing in Falcao was the right decision. Welbeck will never be a world class striker, Falcao was once and it was worth a gamble that he may be again.

crimsonife

Now on peak level Falcao would sweep this but he hasn't shown anything near that form. He can only play striker too. I'd take Welbeck, he can't score either but he can play as a winger as well, with pace and work rate to make something happen.

finneh

In a perfect world; neither. But going into the last 14 games of the season I'd still back Falcao to bag us more points than Welbeck.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Falcao. He's a great striker, he's just lacking confidence and a bit out of form right now.

I'm still most probably in favor of not making his deal permanent at the end of the season, but if I had to choose between the two, I think Falcao has more potential if he can find his scoring boot back.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Welbeck is hardly pulling up trees for Arsenal either despite being younger, supposedly more talented and fully fit. He also plays in a more creative and settled team yet is just still Welbeck.

People need to get over Welbeck he's simply not good enough.

lalloyd

I was gutted Welbeck ended up leaving and still am disappointed. If he was in a fully fit squad atm I'd be playing Rooney up front on his own with Welbeck and Di Maria on the wings.

red_devil83

I said Welbeck then and I say Welbeck now. Falcao was brought in for his 1 in 2 goal record. Welbeck was shipped out for his. Welbeck offers plenty else that Falcao doesn't though.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I don't think Welbeck would have made much difference in the system(s) we have used this season, however if we had kept Welbeck instead of signing Falcao then we would have had the option to play a proper 433/4231, which I suspect would have worked much better. Something like...

Van Persie
Welbeck ----------- Di Maria
Rooney -- Herrera
Blind​

I still think this is Welbeck's best position, or certainly the position he is most beneficial in at the top level.

Annoying, but if we'd kept him and played the above we would have all still been calling for a top class, Sanchez-like wing-forward upgrade anyway, so hey ho.

gasmanc

Banned
Wellbeck 4 goals in 17 league games
Falcao 4 goals in 15 league games

Whilst you can argue the workrate of Wellbeck is higher, it's got to be considered that Falcao has been coming back from serious knee ligament and has still managed to outscore the younger fitter Wellbeck whilst not performing his best, kind of sums Danny up to be fair.

JUPITER

As a regular starting 11 this would be challenging for the league...

--------------------DDG------------------
Rafael------Jones-------Rojo-------Shaw
-------------------Carrick-----------------
------Herrera-----------------ADM-------
--------------------Fellaini----------------
-----------Rooney----------Welbeck------

That front 3 would just bully defences into submission and run them ragged.

Instead we've got two namby-pamby luxury players shuffling around aimlessly in each other's lines.

gasmanc

Banned
As a regular starting 11 this would be challenging for the league...

--------------------Fellaini----------------
-----------Rooney----------Welbeck------

That front 3 would just bully defences into submission and run them ragged.

Instead we've got two namby-pamby luxury players shuffling around aimlessly in each other's lines.
To be fair we have played that as a front 3 before under Moyes, the caf went mental.

--------------------Fellaini---------------
----------------Rooney--------------------
---------------------Falcao----------------

We gave Wellbeck 3-4 seasons, yet Falcao ....

Bwuk

Welbeck. Despite being useless in front of goal, he'd of stretched play and had good movement. Falcao possibly may out score him this year (doubt it though), but Welbeck offers more for the team.

Can't believe I'd rather Welbeck than Falcao. How the mighty have fallen.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
Falcao is obviously the better striker, the guy's scored 30+ goals about 5 times whilst Welbeck will probably never reach those figures.

Welbeck suits our needs more though, hands down we should have kept him. He's a manc and youth product, can play in numerous positions and his he cost us nothing. Selling him to fecking Arsenal of all clubs is ridiculous.

We have both Rooney and RVP who can score 30+ goals a season, but we have no one like Welbz who can stretch defences and do a brilliant man marking job in the final 3rd.

ZDwyr

Voted Welbeck. For this current team we have I would rather have Welbeck in there than Falcao.

bm_5

We could have had both. Only in LVGs head was it not possible. We have two proven strikers in RVP and Rooney. In hindsight, it should have been RVP, if anyone, making way. Welbeck would have been good for us in many other positions also.
This. RVP was a great goalscorer once, but I would rather have Falcao over him. Wellbeck shouldn't be compared to either of them, because even when he plays the same position, he's a completely different sort of player.

justboy68

Why is it that Falcao is always considered to have taken Welbeck's place and not Wilson? The latter is much more accurate by every barometer. Wilson has sometimes played out wide, Welbeck does the same. Both are our young, English academy products. Both have a lot of pace. Now likewise Falcao's place in the squad is clearly much more comparable to Hernandez. Both are on loan for starters. Both are Latin American. Both are goal poachers. Yet somehow it's only ever Welbeck and Falcao compared, when the only real comparison between them is that in the year of 2015 neither of them can hit a barn door with a banjo (and fairly often fall over their own feet).

P.S. I choose Wilson.

Red Comet

Falcao is the better player if he returns to his best. And that's a big IF.

Welbeck is a red through and red, and has been here since he was a wee kid. It's natural that we will have more attachment to him.

I also feel that our attack is much more dynamic with Welbeck in the team than without.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Falcao reminds me alot of RVN

Both are finished at top level football