[Poll] Fellaini - What do we Think of him Now? | Poll reset - vote again until May 17th

What Status Should Fellaini have in the Squad for the Future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChrisG11

He's a useful game changer and can be tactically effective against the right opposition. That's no different to what he was this time last month, it's just people's opinions fluctuate depending on the circumstances and judge him without looking at the bigger picture.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Oh you dont need a poll to see how fickle this bunch is mate. They revolt quicker than the 18th century French and a lot of them are aptly calling for LVGs head. Fellaini has been hated for absolutely no reason since day one. And those most vociferous about him are the ones who probably have the least knowledge about how football works!
Oh I agree, but I still thought it might be interesting (and prove the point about how fickle people are) to get a measure for how opinion has changed at various points in the season. The updated poll was certainly not meant to be an "anti-Fellaini" notion.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
FWIW a lot posters don't hate Fellaini, aren't fickle, don't have a problem with his appearance, and so forth. Objective argumentation is often twisted to display a certain personal vendetta when none really exists. That said, it might not matter when one decides to paint everyone with the same brush and uses well reasoned counter-logic like this :

Its midget spaniards or brazilians that get us moist on here.
probably have the least knowledge about how football works.
etc.

slir32

Good player he has helped us this season giving us some balance in the midfield but he needs to be a squad players next season.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
FWIW a lot posters don't hate Fellaini, aren't fickle, don't have a problem with his appearance, and so forth. Objective argumentation is often twisted to display a certain personal vendetta when none really exists. That said, it might not matter when one decides to paint everyone with the same brush and uses well reasoned counter-logic like this :
Valid point, although I do think there can be a bit of an agenda against him (sorry to use that buzzword).

Point in case - the game against West Brom, he was by no means fantastic, but defended a number of set piece situations for us, won the ball back pretty well, and when playing as a striker in the second half he did a good job of shielding the ball in and around their penalty area. The entire team struggled to create anything meaningful, but when he was playing further forward I thought Fellaini looked like he was actually giving their CBs problems, which hadnt happened earlier in the game.

In that game he scored 3.8 - the same as Rooney and Valencia who for me were both absolutely useless. Conversely, Herrera and Mata scored 4.8 and 4.5 respectively - still not great but a clear difference between Fellaini, yet they very arguably contributed less (especially if you take the defensive contribution of Fellaini on set pieces into account).

I havent changed my opinion really. Hes come on in leaps and bounds but technically hes still not quite good enough to be a starter. A great Plan B and useful to have in the team against some opponents but we need better in the 1st XI.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I don't think he should be part of any plan at United moving forward. We never needed a big lump in all the Fergie years, why would we now? We have loved to throw money around since Fergie left, why not do it on proper midfielders and a top striker.

There is not doubt that he has played well in some games. Hopefully, that would help us get a decent fee for him this summer.

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He can play a specific role, he proved that this season. I personally think he's not offering enough in that role behind the striker. He also struggles to find other ways if someone is put on him

SqueakyWeasel

He's serving a purpose but I'd be disappointed if we built a team around him!

He wouldn't have had much of a sniff of the bench in any of the United teams that make me smile when I think back about them! But there again maybe he's not the real problem here … LvG would probably have found a way of misusing the talent and creativity in any one of those squads and nullifying any individual's natural-born, spur-of-the-moment, attacking threat for want of bloody-minded possession stats or football played "with the brain".