[Poll] Fellaini - What do we Think of him Now? | Poll reset - vote again until May 17th

What Status Should Fellaini have in the Squad for the Future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diarm

I must hold my hand up.
I hated that we signed Fellaini, I hated watching him play for us every single time, effective or not.
I hated his elbows and that we resorted to the sort of football that made him effective.

If you had told me a month ago, that I would have had a good word to say about him, I'd have laughed at you.

But the last 2/3 games, he has been superb.
Not just effective, but actually, technically superb.
He's shown footballing ability I didn't think he had. His workrate has been out of this world. He's built a partnership with Carrick and now Herrera that has allowed our midfield to outclass two of our four biggest rivals in the last week.

I was disgusted in the summer when he told that journalist he had nothing to prove to anyone (everyone needs to prove themselves at United, all of the time) but in spite of his words, he has clearly gone out this season and worked incredibly hard to do just that.

Fair play to the guy.

LLMU

Liverpool put two man on him and he still won most of his duels. Until opponent set up to counter him, he is useful to us especially in the last eight games of the season. Moving forward, we need a proper midfielder who can take the game by the scruff of the neck.

ricky-romeo

one of the first name in the starting line up for now.

given the impressive performances he has put in he has every right to fight for next season too. but should be somewhere in between option 2 and 3 by after this summer.

Enigma_87

You know who
Decent at most.

Yes he has put a good shift in the last games, but that doesn't change his overall qualities.

Flying_Heckfish

We're playing to his strengths, but not exclusively. For his part, he's doing well in other areas of his game too. Looks a different player to last season that's for sure.

bishblaize

Mid to long term I dont really see that he'll be a first teamer. You can't play like that in Europe for a start.

But he's contributing to our goals right now & should be in the first team for the short term. If he helps get us back into Europe and is part of a title challenge next season, then he'll have my gratitude for helping to turn the tide during a tricky period for us.

comlag

He has proved to be very effective but I still think he provides an option that we shouldn't really be looking for which is direct play. I understand the need for that because we aren't yet a fully functioning attacking unit and I won't shed any tears if we upgrade in the summer, but for now he's doing a great job in their lets just be thankful for the turnaround.

Bwuk

Mid to long term I dont really see that he'll be a first teamer. You can't play like that in Europe for a start.

But he's contributing to our goals right now & should be in the first team for the short term. If he helps get us back into Europe and is part of a title challenge next season, then he'll have my gratitude for helping to turn the tide during a tricky period for us.
I don't know about that. I actually think Fellaini would be a very effective plan b against some of the smaller more technical sides.

Regardless, he shouldn't be a starter for us next season. Whether that means we sell him or keep him as back up/plan b I don't know.

bishblaize

I don't know about that. I actually think Fellaini would be a very effective plan b against some of the smaller more technical sides.

Regardless, he shouldn't be a starter for us next season. Whether that means we sell him or keep him as back up/plan b I don't know.
I don't mean it wouldnt be an effective way of playing, I mean that refs simply won't have it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This season he should be starting every game, but going forwards we can't really be using him vs the likes of Barca etc. He will remain an influential squad player and occasional starter. I like him and want him to stay.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Like he did yesterday? You absolutely can play like that.

Obviously, he'd have to have been a wee bit more disciplined to avoid getting sent off but you have to assume he's capable of adapting his game to do so. It's not as though he's constantly getting sent off in the PL. He knows how to tread the tight-rope in domestic football. Just needs to do the same in Europe. Which won't be entirely new to him, having previously played for a continental team and got a bunch of international caps for Belgium.

predator

Youth NITK
Always been a fan. Even when we bought him I was ecstatic as I thought we didnt have anyone like him. Yes he is massive and is prone to long balls (which he wins 9/10 times) but he is more than just that. He has a decent shot in him, good in the air and is generally a nightmare to play against. He should play most games imo.

bishblaize

Obviously, he'd have to have been a wee bit more disciplined to avoid getting sent off but you have to assume he's capable of adapting his game to do so. It's not as though he's constantly getting sent off in the PL. He knows how to tread the tight-rope in domestic football. Just needs to do the same in Europe. Which won't be entirely new to him, having previously played for a continental team and got a bunch of international caps for Belgium.
I'd be very surprised. Watch Peter Crouch play in Europe and that guy is constantly getting fouls against him that even as a United fan I think are exceedingly harsh. If you're taller than the other guy and you lean over him to win headers, in Europe that's a foul. Tackle around a player with your long legs, that's a foul too. Hip-barge someone out the way, also a foul. Even putting your hands on a player is a foul if they flop over.

And if you take all that away he's still a decent player, but there are other players who can do that bit of his game as well or better.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

Obviously, he'd have to have been a wee bit more disciplined to avoid getting sent off but you have to assume he's capable of adapting his game to do so. It's not as though he's constantly getting sent off in the PL. He knows how to tread the tight-rope in domestic football. Just needs to learn how to do it in Europe. Which won't be entirely new to him, having previously played for a continental team and got a bunch of international caps for Belgium.
Funny how everyone still treats him like a knuckle-dragging English oaf from Stoke. The fact that he's a Belgium international does imply some "continental" experience!

Having said that, yes, he would have to be more cautious in CL football just down to his size and gangly style. He's been quite disciplined since his "rejuvenation" though. When he's been on a yellow card everyone's been shouting "take him off!" but he's been careful.

Stretch

I like Fellaini. And he deserves to be in the first XI at the moment. But that's just at this moment. I still think he won't be our 1st choice AM and will be used on a rotation basis and essentially allow us an effective alternative should we need it.

IwatUwat

He's doing really well at the moment, and 100% we've now played our best games with him in the 3 in midfield like yesterday. If he builds on that then fair play he could turn into a great player for us. My only question is in champions league against Madrid or Bayern would you want this? Or would you want something different?

I guess in in 4-3-3 it allows him to play that role as if he doesnt have an impact the impact should still come from the front 3 and the 2 midfielders behind him can cover.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes a good player, but where we are trying to get to, I don't see him in the starting 11 after the summer.
Carrick/Blind Herrera plus another.
Thats not to take anything away from him, hes been great this season, and I'm pretty sure he'll be an important player used in different areas of the pitch, and to do certain jobs.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
For those questioning whether we should be using "someone like Fellaini" against the top European teams - would you rather have someone like Mata as #10 who offers next to nothing defensively? (Not a dig at Mata at all as he was MOTM yesterday)

I would actually say that against top teams it is important that everyone in the side - even the striker - is tracking back and helping out defensively when we are not in possession, and so having someone like Fellaini in an advanced role is almost crucial. "Total Football" indeed.

Its actually one of the things I really like about Fellaini playing that more advanced role (which I never expected to become his main role at the club, I thought he would play deeper) that he gets involved in all areas of the pitch. That is something we have badly lacked in previous years with the likes of Mata and Kagawa, and for me it is one of the reasons why the current system works so well.

Andy_Cole

Just to think in pre season he was getting sarcastically cheered by our fans. Glad he's shown them. I was disgraced watching that match on tv, voiced my disgrace on social media too. He didn't deserve that abuse. I guess he was getting the wrath those 'part time' fans wanted to induce on Moyes.

Anyway. Glad he's doing great. Wouldn't personally have him as a starter next season, but a useful weapon for our squad.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

It's strange because after watching him look like a lost boy vs Bayern Munich last season I thought there was a very high chance that he could of ended up being the worst transfer in the club's history, But boy has he turned it around this season. Absolute fair play to him because he took some pile of abuse last season from our own fans.

Adebesi

Im still going to plump for "decent", even though he has been much better than that for us of late. Call me a muppet but if we are going to reinvigorate our squad again this summer, especially with a top quality box to box midfielder being high on the shopping list, I cant bring myself to vote for Fellaini being a mainstay in the team. I definitely think he offers us plenty, Im happy he's in the squad and in the short term would leave him in the team on the basis that he deserves to be there on form. But I would still imagine that, if we had that Vidal-type player we've been after for quite some time, Fellaini would become a backup option. Id still see Carrick or Blind as the holding midfielder and Mata or Herrera as being the attacking midfielder. With a new guy coming in to make up the three.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's a good stop-gap, a brilliant solution to our personnel problems.

Hopefully we don't need him next season, however, because someone amazing is going to come in for him.

Di Maria should play as the no.10, it's bascially the same position as being an AM in a 3 man midfield.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Im still going to plump for "decent", even though he has been much better than that for us of late. Call me a muppet but if we are going to reinvigorate our squad again this summer, especially with a top quality box to box midfielder being high on the shopping list, I cant bring myself to vote for Fellaini being a mainstay in the team. I definitely think he offers us plenty, Im happy he's in the squad and in the short term would leave him in the team on the basis that he deserves to be there on form. But I would still imagine that, if we had that Vidal-type player we've been after for quite some time, Fellaini would become a backup option. Id still see Carrick or Blind as the holding midfielder and Mata or Herrera as being the attacking midfielder. With a new guy coming in to make up the three.
If we get a B2B as good as pre-injured Vidal, it's a no brainer to bench Fellaini. I love the afro-man, but there are times when watching him, you just start noticing his average vision and technique.

Shyftyy

Quite simple really. As long as Di Maria doesn't bring what he is supposed to Fellaini should start.

Distracted Steward

I put key in that he's probably one of the most important players in the team for causing problems for the opposition. No, not knock downs and lump ball headers. I mean pressing and harassing. He's a genuine pain is the ass that keeps other teams from playing like they want.

Until the boys can string more performances together like the recent ones, that's "key" for me.

Sam

This season he should be starting every game, but going forwards we can't really be using him vs the likes of Barca etc. He will remain an influential squad player and occasional starter. I like him and want him to stay.
Sums my thoughts up nicely.

Absolute fair play to the guy, if you told me at the start of the season that I'd agree to a post that says 'I like him and want him to stay', I'd have laughed in your face. He's a great option to have in the squad.

Listar

He's a good stop-gap, a brilliant solution to our personnel problems.

Hopefully we don't need him next season, however, because someone amazing is going to come in for him.

Di Maria should play as the no.10, it's bascially the same position as being an AM in a 3 man midfield.
I thought we have been there, done that, and failed miserably (not miserable, but close to). The only person right now that can play in that role is rooney, and I much prefer he starts as the lone striker. If we get a striker like Kane, then I will drop rooney to fellaini's place and fellaini as a sub. So right now without a better striker available, it will be the first option for me - key, start every game.

fatboy

I've always thought he was better player than many made him out to be. But am surprised that he's turned it around in such a big way under LvG. Hope he stays, and I think he will.

I'm guessing that if we manage to sign to more defensive minded box-to-box midfielder, LvG might be tempted to try playing a more creative no.10. But Fellaini has shown what he can offer in certain situations and against certain opponents. So I'm sure he'll still his fair share of games next season regardless of our summer signings.

crossy1686

career ending
I've got to say, I despised Fellani under Moyes but I guess it was only because I was thoroughly upset with the Moyes regime and criticising him was a way to undermine Moyes.

Now he's one of our best players and I think he's been a revelation lately. I would start him and Mata every week, forget Di Maria and Falcao.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
To be fair to him, he isn't a proper central midfielder. When he came in, he wasn't able to plug or solve any number of our problems our midfield had, as he wasn't the type of player required.

The way he is used this season is best for him and us. A bit of freedom but higher up the pitch. He is an asset as he gives us multiple options in play.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I'm somewhere between the "Decent" and "Good" option, but since there was no in-between option, I chose to go with the harsher vote.

I don't really think Fellaini can be a key player for us, ever. He's too limited for that. Plus, I doubt I can see him start frequently for the first team if we get a box-to-box midfielder this summer. However, I'd be disappointed if we let go of him. He's become a reliable option at the moment, and he's quite a useful first team player. I don't think he should start most games, but he should play in several matches particularly where we can one-up opponents with the edge and different set of qualities that he provides, sort of like how Park and Fletcher were utilised back in those days.

louvega

The best results and win streaks this season have come with him starting. Those are the facts. It would be a mistake to leave him out. I prefer him in mid field next to a dm, but giving him freedom seems to work perfectly fine.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Always said no one should be judged on last season. It was a disaster from start to finish and everyone bar Januzaj and De Gea was absolute turd.

Glad to see Fellaini winning quite a few around with his performances.

RedPnutz

I think it is clear that he offers qualities to the team that are different. The good thing is that if we get into the Champions League, we will be playing with a larger variety of teams and playing styles.

It is always good to be able to field different tactics against opponents and we can't do that if all our players are the same type.

Also, what does it really mean to be a 'starter'? Aside from De Gea and maybe our 2 Centrebacks, I see that the opponent we play may become central to whom we field, so that we match our strengths with their weaknesses (with an underlying philosophy).

So yes, I think he has a place in the team. If we face a majority of opponents where his playing style generates the most value, then maybe he should start many games.

Jacob

If he is played up front I think he is good. In midfield however, I would say plan B.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I thought we have been there, done that, and failed miserably (not miserable, but close to). The only person right now that can play in that role is rooney, and I much prefer he starts as the lone striker. If we get a striker like Kane, then I will drop rooney to fellaini's place and fellaini as a sub. So right now without a better striker available, it will be the first option for me - key, start every game.
I definitely don't want to go back down that road! Rooney up top! Kane? I remember an English ponytailed striker scoring a ton of goals for Newcastle and going to Liverpool for big money. Can we wait till he has two good seasons, please? It's not like he's fast or a dribbler, things that don't disappear.

Di Maria is a 60m pound AM and a 15m pound winger. If we don't play him there lets just sell him.

RetroStu

I didn't like the guy but he has played his part this season and he does give us an extra option, an extra dimension if needed in certain games so i would keep him as a squad player.
It still annoys me that we have such a donkey looking mophead playing for us though lol.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He's been terrific this season all things considering. Great in the big games especially. What I like about him most is how he turned it around and the way he calmed down recently. kept his composure against Spurs and more importantly against Liverpool. His technique has improved as a result of confidence and it's hard to phase him out of the starting eleven really, who would have thought that before the season. I'm just happy for him as he really had it hard, still remember him getting booed in our friendly against Valencia just before the season.