[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHaze

If we sustain our current form till the end of the season - both style and results, then Ole should comfortably get the job without any competitions imo. Why change something that is working very well?
If he gets us into top 4 the job should without a doubt be his.

Mcking

If he gets us into top 4 the job should without a doubt be his.
I don't think he necessarily has to get us into top 4 to get the job. What Chelsea, Spurs does is beyond his control and the most he can do is beat them. He has only had the Job for a few weeks, so he shouldn't be wholly expected to close such a gap against managers who've had their jobs for much longer - although he has done a great job so far. I would give him the job if we manage to sustain the obvious signs of improvement, do well in the games we're expected to, show some signs of very good coaching and pattern on the pitch, compete and play well against the top teams, and maybe some decent cup runs too - top four or any trophy would be a very welcome bonus imo.
I'd give him more time to really make the team his own if the team shows some very good signs, especially the bolded part. No point taking the risk of appointing another manager.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't disagree with you. He definitely will need help with a Dof, a recruitment team, funds and what not. All I am saying is that we need to wait before deciding to give him the job as much as we may feel it to be the right appointment at this moment. And by bigger tests I do not mean results in games against the likes of PSG, Liverpool, City and the likes. I would be more looking at his overall body of work for the next couple of months before coming to a decision, even if the results are not all positive in those specific games.
Unless its strictly necessary we shouldn't sign anyone unless we've got a DOF and possible a head of recruitment in place. United had been taken to the cleaners for years now and we really need someone who actually knows what he's doing in terms of contract negotiations etc.

However we also need to acknowledge Ole's circumstances at this point. He's far from the finishing product, he lacks guidance, he's working with a squad that is clearly not his and he took the team at possibly the worst time of the season. Considering everything we'll doing so well under him, so he deserves to be considered on a permanent basis. Honestly I am more interested in his reactions once defeats start flowing in rather then now. The reason is that everyone can be graceful and loveable when he's winning but the real test starts when you start losing. Can he handle pressure? Would he be able to sort it out? Would he be able to motivate his team or would he lash on his players and lose the dressing room? That's the sort of things we should be looking at

Chairman Steve

Jardim has apparently not taken up that Chinese club position as previously reported it seems, like that middle eastern club thing. I still think he's a good option considering Pochettino is essentially an expensive risk with lots of immediate expectations and pressure applied to him if he were to join.

crossy1686

career ending
Jardim has apparently not taken up that Chinese club position as previously reported it seems, like that middle eastern club thing. I still think he's a good option considering Pochettino is essentially an expensive risk with lots of immediate expectations and pressure applied to him if he were to join.
Don't get this Jardim love in, the fecking guy has done less than Solskjaer. Feels like people only mention his name because he's the hipster option.

minoo-utd

Only thing worries me a lot about Ole, which is his relationship with the board, can he get what he wants, or he would be doing what they see? Can he sign the players we actually need? Or he is convinced of what we have and think we can challenge on the title with this squad? Many ideas and thoughts beyond his brilliant work shown on the pitch but off the pitch is such as important. That's why this club is badly need a dof as soon as possible too at least before the summer is a must, everyone can easily see that we need to sign and get few additions to this team, C.B and a R.B at least this window to have a chance to go head to head with big guns in C.L too. And really we need to offload lot of the dead wood of what we have. I'm thinking about at least 5 players really need to leave.

Mr Smith

Don't get this Jardim love in, the fecking guy has done less than Solskjaer. Feels like people only mention his name because he's the hipster option.
Has Solskjaer made it to a CL semi-final playing amazing football and won the league in France ahead of one of the richest clubs in the world? Bonkers thing to say. And I'm not saying that to put Ole down, who's had a pretty solid start to his managerial career.

Klopp_De_Klown

I'd have gone for Poch
He is a Natural fit, he seems to be cut from same cloth what we hold as values. So in that regard he'd work.

But I voted for Ole, because he is one of our own he gets us and I'm gonna take a leap of faith we get top 4, beat PSG and he takes us forward with an excellent second half to the season.

Now im not giving him the job just now. I'd wait until the end of the season or towards that and all being well I hope he will have earned it on merit

nainaisson

I picked Lucien Favre because he's tactically brilliant while Pochettino has proven time and time again to be tactically naive. However, Favre can be a bit of a diva and I can see him becoming too much of a headache for Woodward and our new, mythical director of football. Pochettino is probably better at man management and overall player development, though, so I wouldn't mind if he was chosen instead. The upcoming Champions League tie between the two managers will be really fascinating.

ErranMorad

Unless its strictly necessary we shouldn't sign anyone unless we've got a DOF and possible a head of recruitment in place. United had been taken to the cleaners for years now and we really need someone who actually knows what he's doing in terms of contract negotiations etc.

However we also need to acknowledge Ole's circumstances at this point. He's far from the finishing product, he lacks guidance, he's working with a squad that is clearly not his and he took the team at possibly the worst time of the season. Considering everything we'll doing so well under him, so he deserves to be considered on a permanent basis. Honestly I am more interested in his reactions once defeats start flowing in rather then now. The reason is that everyone can be graceful and loveable when he's winning but the real test starts when you start losing. Can he handle pressure? Would he be able to sort it out? Would he be able to motivate his team or would he lash on his players and lose the dressing room? That's the sort of things we should be looking at
I think there is no harm in moving on a couple & getting in a couple of players to improve our chances. We shouldn't write off the season in wait for a DOF. If nothing else, Ole has already proved that he is more than a cheerleader brought in for a "good time". A couple of good signings while moving on the likes of Rojo, Darmian and Fellaini would be excellent business from our side. It can help us in our quest for a top 4 spot & the FA cup at least.

Rest, I agree with almost everything. I think we are on the same page on this. Any talk of giving him the job already is premature at the moment. (I did the same right after the win against Spurs :p). He has definitely put himself in the conversation. Let him prove himself a little more before coming to any conclusion. The number of games, & the quality of the opposition in some of those, in the next two months gives us an excellent chance to assess him properly.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Has Solskjaer made it to a CL semi-final playing amazing football and won the league in France ahead of one of the richest clubs in the world? Bonkers thing to say. And I'm not saying that to put Ole down, who's had a pretty solid start to his managerial career.
So were considering one season wonders for the United job now? feck it then, might as well throw Raneri in the mix as well, who else? Di Matteo also? I’d get it if we were fecking desperate but we’re not, the guy almost agreed to go and work in the Middle East for Christ sake, if he’s that good why is abolsutely no one in Europe being linked with him? There’s infenitely better managers out there, including the one we currently have. Jardim is a million miles away from ever managing United.

crossy1686

career ending
I picked Lucien Favre because he's tactically brilliant while Pochettino has proven time and time again to be tactically naive. However, Favre can be a bit of a diva and I can see him becoming too much of a headache for Woodward and our new, mythical director of football. Pochettino is probably better at man management and overall player development, though, so I wouldn't mind if he was chosen instead. The upcoming Champions League tie between the two managers will be really fascinating.
So you picked Favre and then went on to say why he wouldn’t work? Brilliant vote...

rpg

Looking at the poll, Solsjaekr % is increasing each days. While Poch went from 60% to 49% currently.

EwanI Ted

Still feel like Pochettino ticks the most boxes for me. However the thing I think he's weakest on is how exciting the football is to watch, and not only is that a big consideration after the last 5 yrs of tosh football, its something that Ole has really excelled at. Still, as much as I might be starved of excitement I still think its important to consider how well Pochettino has done in an overall club building sense at Spurs. As good as the last 6 games have been, we there's more required at United than just getting the first team to play well & I think Pochettino has the best overall record in that respect.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If we get top 4 OR miss narrowly due to lack of timely investment (yet again), Ole deserves the job. As of now, I'm 40-60 in favour of Poch but it was 0-100 when he started out 4 weeks ago.

United Pro

If Ole does really well till the end of the season, I wonder if giving him a 1 year initial contract would be a decent move. If it works out with him next season then we'll have our man, if not then we can target Poch (with 1 year less on his contract so at a lower fee).

A big problem with getting Poch is the £40m+ fee we'll have to pay Spurs. You'd have to argue whether using that £40m on transfers would be a better bet. Naturally, if Poch is adjudged to be a better long term manager at United then we'd have to choose him (assuming he wants to leave Spurs).

Micky Targaryen

Can we just have Poch, Ole, Phelan, Carrick and McKenna all in our coaching staff next season? Pretty sure we can afford that, and everyone on the Caf will be happy. :D

Kapardin

If Ole does really well till the end of the season, I wonder if giving him a 1 year initial contract would be a decent move. If it works out with him next season then we'll have our man, if not then we can target Poch (with 1 year less on his contract so at a lower fee).

A big problem with getting Poch is the £40m+ fee we'll have to pay Spurs. You'd have to argue whether using that £40m on transfers would be a better bet. Naturally, if Poch is adjudged to be a better long term manager at United then we'd have to choose him (assuming he wants to leave Spurs).
Though Ole loves the club, I doubt he will accept another "prove yourself" kind of deal again if he manages to convince the club he deserves a crack. At the end of the day, nobody likes being constantly scrutinized without being rewarded for efforts already undertaken. Plus, if he gets us top 4, his stock will be high and he will have a lot of decent clubs lining up to hire him, not just returning to Molde.

If he performs well for the rest of the season, Ed will have to bite the bullet and give him a 2 year deal while hoping he continues this rich vein of form. Suits us fine, he sincerely wants to do his best for the club, so obviously we as fans can give him a chance.

AgentP

I love the way Ole has gone about his job. But if the club offer him a permanent contract within a month or two, it will be another rash senseless decision by the club. We have to wait till end of season before making a decision because we can't afford another mistake. We need to be absolutely certain that whoever we sign is going to be the right man for the job.

Treble

I'd wait untill the end of the season to decide for me whether I'd trust Ole to get us back on track. Think the board will do the same. There is no danger a big club to come for him and snap him up.

Jackxxx

Can we just have Poch, Ole, Phelan, Carrick and McKenna all in our coaching staff next season? Pretty sure we can afford that, and everyone on the Caf will be happy. :D
And René please!
No one can fix the problems of United with a magic stick. But Ole shows the right attitude, what he says on the press conferences is always spot on, the style of play is very good, the in game decisions are also very good and always makes changes on time. I don't care if we finish in the top 4 or not. We have 5 wins i row and still 6 points behind the top 4, just because "the Toxic one".

We not only have to make a lot of wins, but we have to hope teams in top 4 are losing points. I think for one month with Ole in charge everybody sees that the club is going into the right direction. If we keep this direction till the end of the season Ole deserves a contract!

Last edited by a moderator:

United Pro

Though Ole loves the club, I doubt he will accept another "prove yourself" kind of deal again if he manages to convince the club he deserves a crack. At the end of the day, nobody likes being constantly scrutinized without being rewarded for efforts already undertaken. Plus, if he gets us top 4, his stock will be high and he will have a lot of decent clubs lining up to hire him, not just returning to Molde.

If he performs well for the rest of the season, Ed will have to bite the bullet and give him a 2 year deal while hoping he continues this rich vein of form. Suits us fine, he sincerely wants to do his best for the club, so obviously we as fans can give him a chance.
I wouldn't be so sure. I'm sure staying another year (at least) would be a very decent deal for Ole. From interviews, he doesn't appear to expect to be the full time manager so that sort of deal would, if anything, be a positive for him.

GM K

I don't think he necessarily has to get us into top 4 to get the job. What Chelsea, Spurs does is beyond his control and the most he can do is beat them. He has only had the Job for a few weeks, so he shouldn't be wholly expected to close such a gap against managers who've had their jobs for much longer - although he has done a great job so far. I would give him the job if we manage to sustain the obvious signs of improvement, do well in the games we're expected to, show some signs of very good coaching and pattern on the pitch, compete and play well against the top teams, and maybe some decent cup runs too - top four or any trophy would be a very welcome bonus imo.
I'd give him more time to really make the team his own if the team shows some very good signs, especially the bolded part. No point taking the risk of appointing another manager.
You mean the team is not his own yet? Whose is it then? :lol:

Mcking

You mean the team is not his own yet? Whose is it then? :lol:
For now, he is just an interim manager that is here to steady the ship. He has not had any transfer window, and all these players are players that were signed under our former managers. He's barely had a month with the players, and even at the end of the season, he'd need more time to properly build a coherent team, implement his own style and perhaps get players that fit that particular style.

OleTheGreat

I think the Tottenham game showed that the players love playing for Ole because not only was it a difficult game but the crowd was buzzing and there was a lot of pressure on us. We managed to keep the clean sheet and win. It shows that we can go a long way under Ole and his experience with our youth players. He knows many of them and can get the most out of them. Like when Sir Alex rekindled our hopes by getting the class of 92' in.

I think we have a beautiful team. Just needs one good CB, RB, DM & RW and we'll be flying. Koulibaly, Basaka, Malcom, Nzonzi or Kante are some of the choices to bring in the summer.

OldSchoolManc

I’m all in for Ole and the current coaching staff.
They’ve brought exciting football back already and they just ‘get’ it.

Who is to say that Poch won’t come in and buckle under the pressure?
I wouldn’t say that Spurs are all that entertainment wise either.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’m all in for Ole and the current coaching staff.
They’ve brought exciting football back already and they just ‘get’ it.

Who is to say that Poch won’t come in and buckle under the pressure?
I wouldn’t say that Spurs are all that entertainment wise either.
Wait until Ole loses a game and then we will see how things go. We’re still in the honeymoon period here. Undoubtably the fans would start with the “well he’s only ever managed Molde” comments and the “Ole was shown up tactically today” comments. Poch has serious Premier League experience and experience of building a top class team.

Peter Brewer

Great arguments, totally agree. These kind of expectations was never really a critera when appointing the other managers.

Being said Poch is such an admirer of The narcissistic one; is not really a good omen either.

Poch might be one who leaves for Barcelona or Real Madrid if the opportunity rises later.
If he is inline with Maurinho, the narcissistic one.

Last edited by a moderator:

JMack1234

With the fixtures we've got we'll all know if Ole has what it takes.

Just enjoy the football for now and wait and see.

Nickthepip

Right now, if it was instant decision between Ole or paying Spurs £40m for Poch, I'd stick with Ole. I'd like to think the club are investigating other alternatives too though as it's far too early to make a call on Ole at this early stage. Sunday was great to watch but it could've been a very different result and I think the feeling around appointing Ole long term would be far less positive.

If he is still in with a shout for a top four finish with 3-4 games to go, he'll have done a really good job and will deserve serious consideration.

Eric's Seagull

Wait until Ole loses a game and then we will see how things go. We’re still in the honeymoon period here. Undoubtably the fans would start with the “well he’s only ever managed Molde” comments and the “Ole was shown up tactically today” comments. Poch has serious Premier League experience and experience of building a top class team.
Lets hope Ole's first loss isn't until the League next season please :D

Tiber

It's not just the fact we are winning games.....

He 'gets' the club.

We are playing a great style of football.

In demand players like Martial and De Gea are suddenly prepared to commit their future to the club.

Out of form players like Lindelof and Matic are suddenly playing really well.

And the development of Rashford in particular has been sudden and significant after previously appearing to stall under previous managers

Unless the wheels fall off? It would be stupid not to give Ole this job. Especially if a proven DOF is coming in to assist with transfers

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ole has certainly shown that he can improve players. I'm therefore not worried about his ability to attract players. What remains in doubt is whether he tactically astute enough to win a champions league. And what he would be like in adversity.

I've gone from thinking appointing him permanently is a terrible idea to thinking it's not the first choice but maybe the second. If we get past PSG and take top four, I reckon he'll be in with a strong shout as the Poch plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.