[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'm glad you all seem happy with Ole because you're not getting Pochettino. ;)

RG 11

He's been brilliant. SAF always emphasized on it being important to bounce back from defeats and that's what the players did today. No self-doubt or heads dropping like in the past. The squad clearly wants to play for him so the club should continue with the momentum!

If we get pochettino, it's going to be another season of transition, he'll bring his own staff, assess players again etc etc etc. It finally looks like we're working towards something good and it's time to back Ole.

Tony247

This flip in poll is legendary. Ole started with some 16-17% and Poch almost 45 or so.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If we want him then we'll get him but that's besides the point.
I wouldn't posture too much as if he doesn't come here there is still a possibility he will go to Real.
I obviously don't know for sure, but I am confident he'll be at Spurs next season regardless of interest from Real Madrid and United. I could obviously be wrong, but I think he wants to continue his project and is in no rush to move on.

Regardless, I think Ole would be the better choice for United with next season in mind since as many pointed out it would be a transition with Poch. What's best beyond that is hard to say since Ole is a bit of an unknown when it comes to building a team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I obviously don't know for sure, but I am confident he'll be at Spurs next season regardless of interest from Real Madrid and United. I could obviously be wrong, but I think he wants to continue his project and is in no rush to move on.

Regardless, I think Ole would be the better choice for United with next season in mind since as many pointed out it would be a transition with Poch. What's best beyond that is hard to say since Ole is a bit of an unknown when it comes to building a team.
Agree with your second point and that's why it's imperative we give him a good DOF who can help in squad building.

Tbf Ole has made it very hard for the United board to consider any other manager.

Suvvernmanc

A few months back my decision on Ole was that I.needed to see how he performed from a tactical point of view against different teams.

Our first fews games under Ole were against teams that we were expected to win against, but also had the possibilty of a slip up. Bournemouth and Leicester for example. Bournemouth played with a team full of pacy players and they assumed we would control possession which would give them the opportunity to catch us on the break. Our midfield controlled the possession so well they couldn't get near us. Leicester had beaten Chelsea, Man City and drawn with Liverpool on the lead up to our game. We were tactically spot on that day too.

Against the better opposition like Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea, it would give us a completely different level of problems. These were the games we needed to see Ole do his thing and show that he can get the players to perform and understand his tactics. Which he has.

Ole is the man to take us forward next season. I've changed my vote from Poch to Ole now. He is the man for us.. Ole is at the wheel and he is steering us in the right direction.

Toad

It's approaching the stage where appointing anyone else will do more harm than good.
This. Finally look like we have settled down a bit and enjoying ourselves, I don't think the players and most fans would take it too lightly if Poch was chosen over Ole if he carries on this form.

LordNinio

A few months back my decision on Ole was that I.needed to see how he performed from a tactical point of view against different teams.

Our first fews games under Ole were against teams that we were expected to win against, but also had the possibilty of a slip up. Bournemouth and Leicester for example. Bournemouth played with a team full of pacy players and they assumed we would control possession which would give them the opportunity to catch us on the break. Our midfield controlled the possession so well they couldn't get near us. Leicester had beaten Chelsea, Man City and drawn with Liverpool on the lead up to our game. We were tactically spot on that day too.

Against the better opposition like Arsenal, spurs and Chelsea, it would give us a completely different level of problems. These were the games we needed to see Ole do his thing and show that he can get the players to perform and understand his tactics. Which he has.

Ole is the man to take us forward next season. I've changed my vote from Poch to Ole now. He is the man for us.. Ole is at the wheel and he is steering us in the right direction.
This sums it up perfectly, I don't blame people for not jumping straight on the Solskjaer train, and wanting to wait until they could see how he performs in different settings.

But he's done that now, we've beaten 3 of the top 6 away from home, playing each with different tactics. We've beaten most of the lower teams along the way too.

The only defeat we've had was against a far superior PSG.

He's shown willingness to adapt and has galvanised the club from top to bottom.

GBBQ

Ole has earned a shot at this stage. Amazing how he has turned things around. I know we were a level below PSG and could still get our arses handed to us against City and Liverpool but to be honest that should be used more as a guide for our transfer activity to see what Ole needs to sign to get the team to the top level (as opposed to a stick to beat Ole with).

I was in the Poch camp but last night convinced me, Ole is the man.

Castia

Unless we hit a bad run of form he's surely got the job wrapped up.

11 points off 4th when he took over with wins away at Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea as well.

I really like Poch, for spurs to be a couple of points behind City with their squad and budget is remarkable but Ole is United through and through.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
My vote has been Ole since his first interview this due to United generally buying and nurturing the best players. A manager at the level players are at United doesn't need to do much coaching footballing wise on a personal level with small tweaks left to coaches. What he's basically done is played players in their natural positions and with the help of coaches set-up the team and tactics and let players express themselves, given players self-belief and let them play without fear of making mistakes and on the front foot.

Keep him on short rolling contracts this way there would be no reason to give a club legend the sack if things don't work out and it's unlikely any club in the world would be able to poach him if he is successful such is his love for the club.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Ole has the gift of words. A massive plus for successful management in any field.

TheLord

I think there's nothing wrong in giving Ole a small contract, like for two years. In all honesty, he deserves a transfer window where he can buy a few players of his choice and let go of ones he doesn't see fit.

The only problem with this strategy is that Poch, United's numero uno target up until yesterday, may be poached by Real Madrid in the process and will never be available for United unless he gets the sack there.

Heart says Ole, mind says Poch.

Adebesi

Talking about Mourinho, people always seemed to use the word "pragmatic" but while I understood where that came from and it made sense, it never felt like the right word to describe his time at United. I remember when Mourinho's Chelsea beat us in the FA Cup final - that was definitely pragmatic. He sacrificed attacking principles in order to win, he did what it took to win. But by the time he managed us, I dont know if he had changed or if my perception of his football (watching his team far more often when he was our manager) had, but I didnt think he was pragmatic at all, if anything he was the opposite, he was dogmatic. He seemed to want to do things a certain way and he was completely inflexible.

I say this because in Ole we now seem to have a coach that is genuinely pragmatic. Yes he wants to play attacking football, but he has a flexibility in how he will go about doing that. Where you have managers (and I think Sarri falls into this category as well from what I understand) that have a system, and look to fit their players into that system, Ole seems to start from a position of looking at the players at his disposal and deciding what he wants to do based on that. Not squeezing players into a rigid system or ethos, but creating the system that will make the most out of the resources available, while maintaining a consistent ethos.

Finally, can I just say that if I didnt already want Ole to stay as manager because he is the right man for the job, Id want him to stay so we can keep on singing his chant. Hearing the fans at OT banging that out over and over again in the second half was something else.

cathari

Pochettino is nice and all, but we're going to be in transition mode again. Ole seems so seamless, it's like we just need to upgrade the team instead of the whole structure.
He'll probably be an easier fit with an United minded DoF as well.

Gator Nate

I say this because in Ole we now seem to have a coach that is genuinely pragmatic. Yes he wants to play attacking football, but he has a flexibility in how he will go about doing that. Where you have managers (and I think Sarri falls into this category as well from what I understand) that have a system, and look to fit their players into that system, Ole seems to start from a position of looking at the players at his disposal and deciding what he wants to do based on that. Not squeezing players into a rigid system or ethos, but creating the system that will make the most out of the resources available, while maintaining a consistent ethos.
And this is exactly what can make Ole so dangerous on the European stage. A lot of the questions regarding his tactics are almost entirely personnel-based. It's easy to say, "Well I would have just moved so-and-so over here to deal with that," but, usually, it's a one-dimensional observation that doesn't account for secondary effects of moving that person. Ole has had only two months to implement his ideas with players he didn't select. To do that, he has had to assess the players individually and in combinations. We fans tend to oversimplify and usually have the benefit of hindsight.

But I keep going back to something I read about OGS coming in off the bench - something maybe SAF himself said - that he sat studying what the other team was doing so he could capitalize on it when he got in. The man is a student of the game. He learns and that's a huge part of what make him. Give him a transfer window or two and the academy to build up his toolbox of interchangeable parts. He'll have multiple sets to deal with anything we face.

Read up on Tuchel's approach to man management and tactics. OGS is going to be thought of in the same vein when he comes into his own.

Reactions: Sultan

deafepl

Talking about Mourinho, people always seemed to use the word "pragmatic" but while I understood where that came from and it made sense, it never felt like the right word to describe his time at United. I remember when Mourinho's Chelsea beat us in the FA Cup final - that was definitely pragmatic. He sacrificed attacking principles in order to win, he did what it took to win. But by the time he managed us, I dont know if he had changed or if my perception of his football (watching his team far more often when he was our manager) had, but I didnt think he was pragmatic at all, if anything he was the opposite, he was dogmatic. He seemed to want to do things a certain way and he was completely inflexible.

Finally, can I just say that if I didnt already want Ole to stay as manager because he is the right man for the job, Id want him to stay so we can keep on singing his chant. Hearing the fans at OT banging that out over and over again in the second half was something else.
He may be pragmatic but we never intend to play around back, keep possession with no purpose, short passes around, he wants us to win the ball back whenever we lose possession, pressing for it so hard. Our Ball retention is poor but hopefully, it'll improve in summer if he is appointed as permanent.

I think he's more of Tuchel module than Pep Guardiola, Tuchel is is not interested in keeping possession, dominating possession against opponents but will play attacking with fast attacking players.

kkengvib

I'm on the fence & leaning towards Ole now.
I'll be ready to change my vote to him depending on how we perform vs. Liverpool. I'm not asking for a win... just would like to see the manner of our performance (e.g. tactical setup and how he can rally the troops for the big match). If we do well, I'll consider myself fully converted.

Kapardin

He may be pragmatic but we never intend to play around back, keep possession with no purpose, short passes around, he wants us to win the ball back whenever we lose possession, pressing for it so hard. Our Ball retention is poor but hopefully, it'll improve in summer if he is appointed as permanent.

I think he's more of Tuchel module than Pep Guardiola, Tuchel is is not interested in keeping possession, dominating possession against opponents but will play attacking with fast attacking players.
I think being pragmatic is often confused with being defensive because the word gets thrown about excessively for managers like Mourinho, Conte and Simeone. They aren't the same. It's possible to be a pragmatic attacking manager who adapts to the situation and gauges the potential to attack well. Ole is in that mold.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm on the fence & leaning towards Ole now.
I'll be ready to change my vote to him depending on how we perform vs. Liverpool. I'm not asking for a win... just would like to see the manner of our performance (e.g. tactical setup and how he can rally the troops for the big match). If we do well, I'll consider myself fully converted.
Honestly, if the last 13 matches haven't been enough to convince you, nothing will.

Peter Brewer

This coming from a ?Norwegian? :confused:
Truth is that many Norwegians, like Catt, support Molde's competitive teams in Norway, plus United. So they don't like the idea of Solskjaer succeeding and becoming manager of their favorite foreign club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rozski

My vote has been Ole since his first interview this due to United generally buying and nurturing the best players. A manager at the level players are at United doesn't need to do much coaching footballing wise on a personal level with small tweaks left to coaches. What he's basically done is played players in their natural positions and with the help of coaches set-up the team and tactics and let players express themselves, given players self-belief and let them play without fear of making mistakes and on the front foot.

Keep him on short rolling contracts this way there would be no reason to give a club legend the sack if things don't work out and it's unlikely any club in the world would be able to poach him if he is successful such is his love for the club.
I think this is spot on as far as what is needed to manage at a club like this. Keeping the players happy and motivated is more important that tactical coaching. I also think the contract situation would be wise. It’s amazing how easy it sounds when so many struggle to play players in positions and roles where they are comfortable and successful.

Mcking

Marco Rose' votes seems to be going up. Is there anyone that is not voting for Ole at this point?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Truth is that many Norwegians, like Catt, support Molde's competitive teams in Norway, plus United. So they don't like the idea of Solskjaer succeeding and becoming manager of their favorite foreign club.
Good shout but I don't support Molde :)

Rozski

Thats the problem with today’s football. Managers don’t get time. So what if we don’t win anything in 2-3 year. Let him build! And like others say, United plays like everyone wants them to play. Harmony!
I think I’d like to see our next manager given 3 years minimum as long as they haven’t lost the dressing room. At the point where the players don’t believe in them then it’s hard to come back from that but as long as the players still back the manager then I think there’s reason to stick behind them. Our players want to win and know top level coaching so if we finished 10th but the players still back the manager then there’s reason to think it’ll turn around and good things are happening behind the scenes.

Red For Ever

Winning or losing any particular games should not have any effect on the final choice.
Style of play, attitude and approach from players and happy fans
So if he loose against Liverpool, you think he should not get the job?

Exactly win or lose against Liverpool, ( or any other team for that matter )

Its not enough reason to not give him the job.

Did SAF, Busby etc win every match, of course not.
Winning helps, but winning alone are not the main reasons for giving him the job.

I think he has already demonstrated he has what it takes as a manager of United.
On and off the pitch he has shown he has what it takes.

willhse456

I'm just loving watching United at the moment, and if someone told me I'd be feeling this way in December, I'd be shocked!

Ole and Poch are both great options and I'm just enjoying the ride. I don't really understand the arguments and mental gymnastics about picking one over the other, we should all just be grateful with the football that is currently on show!

TheLord

I don't really understand the arguments and mental gymnastics about picking one over the other...
Well that is because the club has to choose one over the other at the end of the season, if not earlier. Arguments are here to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.