[Poll] Next permanent United manager

Who do you think should be the next permanent manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Do you think Ole is really capable of being like Zidane?

A nice guy who is great right now and will get walked all over in 6 months..?
More than Di Matteo imo.

Di Matteo didn't apply any good tactics at Chelsea, what he did was to grind his way to CL title with overly defensive football and won one of the jammiest CL title ever. Ole looks like he understands the club more as much as Zidane at Madrid and will apply what the fans will be pleased with, which will help us long term unlike Di Matteo short sight way at Chelsea who everyone could see it was just a jammy CL more than being based on anything.

Of course not saying Ole will win CL here but he's closer to Zidane for United than for Di Matteo with the way of football he's trying to play.

the chameleon

Here's my updated list. Underlying goal is to get an attacking manager who can improve players and help promote youth.

At this point in time the job is Solskjaer's to take. If he destroy the opposition and overdeliver - he gets a two-year extension.

If he just sails us through, we go all in for Poch.

If not Poch, we start looking at the likes of Jardim, Marco Rose, Erik Ten Haag tier coaches.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
You're making it out is if any Tom, Dick or Harry could step into the United hotseat and automatically churn out positive results, when in reality it doesn't work that way. Ole has clearly done his research on the squad in terms of how best to deploy and utilize them both individually and as a collective. There is a video on the forum somewhere which describes, in detail, how Ole's tactical system functions - unfortunately, I cannot find it right now.

He's clearly saying the right things in the dressing room, the players look inspired, motivated, up for the challenge. Since his arrival they have covered more ground on the pitch than at any period during the last 5 years - they are working their asses off.

I have no idea if the good form will continue (there are no guarantees) but from what we have seen so far, Ole has done absolutely everything correctly. Which is a great deal more than many expected - myself included. I was prepared for a relegation battle in all honesty. Just enjoy the ride until it ends/if it ends.

Also this.
But how long has Solskjaer actually had to coach that attacking system into them? Do you really think 100% of the players' motivation and inspiration comes from the manager?

More than Di Matteo imo.

Di Matteo didn't apply any good tactics at Chelsea, what he did was to grind his way to CL title with overly defensive football and won one of the jammiest CL title ever. Ole looks like he understands the club more as much as Zidane at Madrid and will apply what the fans will be pleased with, which will help us long term unlike Di Matteo short sight way at Chelsea who everyone could see it was just a jammy CL more than being based on anything.

Of course not saying Ole will win CL here but he's closer to Zidane for United than for Di Matteo with the way of football he's trying to play.
My point was Zidane has a personality and CV that commands respect indefinitely. Does Ole? To me he just seems more like a friendly supply teacher. Besides should Zidane even be the benchmark? His Real Madrid team were sensational before he even took the hotseat and one can't say he did anything revolutionary holding the fort for two years before blowing up in the third.

Eric's Seagull

His Real Madrid team were sensational before he even took the hotseat
No-one can take away Zidane's achievement as it was amazing but it could be argued because "His Real Madrid team were sensational before he even took the hotseat" that is the reason he did so well. Would he be able to be so good if he didn't have a squad of that quality?

BlueHaze

Allegri would be a massive mistake and you only need to take a look at our 2 CL games with them to understand why. With the players they have plus our absolute crap form they should have smashed us. They only scored 2 goals over the 2 legs and lost to us at home. Give us a manager who prioritizes attacking football or we will be in this same situation next year.

Janson

We can only hope that the board have learned from their past mistakes with regards to managerial appointments.

They must take the fans wishes into account when deciding on the next manager.
Yeah, they will just look at this thread and decide.

Adam_S

People have been on and on about how they want a manager that plays attacking football and gets the "United way". People have also been on and on about how they would prefer the team to play attacking football and build for the future than hire another big name manager to chase short term success.

Well, here you go. Give Ole a 12 month contract. Spend the time getting the club structures in place around him. Get the coaching right and spend some time to get the DoF bedded in. Sort out the recruitment, scouting and youth systems. Do a massive upgrade on the training facilities. The guy's unlikely to complain or rock the boat while that's all being set up and even if we end up having another "transitional" season, it couldn't be any worse than some of the shite on a stick the last 3 managers have served up. At least we might play some interesting football. If he does a good job in that time then he can have the job for the next 20 years as far as I'm concerned.

As much as it sticks in the craw to be saying this, City have done most of the above and look where they are now.

Infestissumam

big no to Allegri. If Poch didn't come and they'd seriously go for Allegri as a backup then the club have learned nothing from the past 5 years.

Pochettino, Howe, Rose ... those are the ones that'd make sense. Attacking football and giving youth a chance, that's the profile we should target.

Flytan

I just don't see us getting a manager who doesn't play attacking football at this point. We've played horrible football under the previous 3 managers even if it means getting someone a little less "for sure" (I mean after Mourinho is that even a defense anymore?) it should happen. Allegri would make a fourth who could turn into poor football. Same reason Conte isn't a real contender imo

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
But how long has Solskjaer actually had to coach that attacking system into them?
Three days, wasn't it? Which speaks volumes for his ability to transfer information.
Do you really think 100% of the players' motivation and inspiration comes from the manager?
Not entirely, no, the ability to self-motivate is a key essential that any footballer/sportsmen hoping to reach peak potential must possess. Which is not to undermine the managers role in this area, the right words at key moments to individual players, creating a positive training ground/dressing room atmosphere, instilling belief into the players that his tactical system is near-faultless and their ability to carry it on to the pitch unquestionable is as equally effective as self-motivation. Basically the polar opposite to that which Jose Mourinho had created.

Adam_S

big no to Allegri. If Poch didn't come and they'd seriously go for Allegri as a backup then the club have learned nothing from the past 5 years.

Pochettino, Howe, Rose ... those are the ones that'd make sense. Attacking football and giving youth a chance, that's the profile we should target.
I agree on this. Hard no for Conte, Allegri or another manager in that style.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah, they will just look at this thread and decide.
If they need to take a gander at this forum in order to get the general feel of the fanbase in terms of what they want from a manager's playstyle, then they aren't very good at their jobs.

Canagel

The board will have learnt nothing if we appoint another defensive/pragmatic manager. Especially after this stint of OGS, it'll be even worse. Enough of the Contes , Simeones and Allegris . We need manager that can compete with Guardiola and Klopp at the top of the league. Both style and results

The top contenders imo - Jardim, Potch, Zidane and Solskjaer (if he continued to impress) and after those four Eddie Howe, Favre,,Rose..

OzKangarooney

No-one can take away Zidane's achievement as it was amazing but it could be argued because "His Real Madrid team were sensational before he even took the hotseat" that is the reason he did so well. Would he be able to be so good if he didn't have a squad of that quality?
I do think it's a fair enough argument, but wasn't this also the case with Pep

Janson

If they need to take a gander at this forum in order to get the general feel of the fanbase in terms of what they want from a manager's playstyle, then they aren't very good at their jobs.
Exactly, that was my point. Which is why the fans are the last they will think about asking who to appoint.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
To be honest, if you leave Poch and Zidane out (whom I have my own doubts) , we do not have lot of options anyway . Wouldnt blame Woodward if he approaches Allegri.

Rest of the lot is just "good" options . Not many excellent options out there. We will have to create our own choice just like we did with SAF.

Infestissumam

To be honest, if you leave Poch and Zidane out (whom I have my own doubts) , we do not have lot of options anyway . Wouldnt blame Woodward if he approaches Allegri.

Rest of the lot is just "good" options . Not many excellent options out there. We will have to create our own choice just like we did with SAF.
nothing wrong with that. I'd happily take a "risky" appointment like Howe over someone like Allegri ... the most important thing is to find a modern manager who is a fit in terms of what is expected (attacking style, usage of young players) and I for one would gladly accept a younger/less proven manager if he checks those boxes. Going for proven managers with big names and past accomplishments has done nothing for us, IMO it's time for a different angle.

Eric's Seagull

Although there might not be many quality options available bar Poch and Zidane. Jardim is available, although he may not be everyone's cup of tea and has been my choice for a while, although at the moment I am hoping Ole does well enough to earn the job permanently.

L1nk

Am i missing something in people saying Pochettino would leave us for Real Madrid, why would he? Does he have a massive burning love for Real Madrid like Ronaldo did? Or is this an assumption based on the fact he is from South America and they usually prefer the latin countries.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It will be very difficult to get Poch imo.
He has built a team without as much investments as City, Liverpool or us.
If he does not win the title this season he has an excellent chance to win it next season.
Doubt he would leave the job unfinished. The man has class.

Janson

I would go for a proven, more conservative manager like Conte or Simeone, with an exciting counterattacking style. I don't know if Allegri would be good enough.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I would go for a proven, more conservative manager like Conte or Simeone, with an exciting counterattacking style. I don't know if Allegri would be good enough.
Too defensive.

Janson

Too defensive.
I don't mind it, as long as we're successful. It would be more satisfying to beat Liverpool and City, playing a counterattacking game rather than having the same style as them. When it comes to Simeone, I have no doubt he would do well here.

BlueHaze

I don't mind it, as long as we're successful. It would be more satisfying to beat Liverpool and City, playing a counterattacking game rather than having the same style as them. When it comes to Simeone, I have no doubt he would do well here.
To be saying stuff like that after witnessing these 5 disastrous years is beyond baffling. After going through all of this you would still repeat the same mistake? Conte is the same shit as Jose, didn't get his way with transfers fell out with the board. Treated Costa like shit, won the title only to follow up with a nightmare season, pragmatic style. And I can't even bring myself to imagine what kind of games we would have to endure if Simeone became our manager. People would bring pillows to Old Trafford and his ultra defensive tactics would do the rest. No thanks give me someone who wants to play football.

Janson

To be saying stuff like that after witnessing these 5 disastrous years is beyond baffling. After going through all of this you would still repeat the same mistake? Conte is the same shit as Jose, didn't get his way with transfers fell out with the board. Treated Costa like shit, won the title only to follow up with a nightmare season, pragmatic style. And I can't even bring myself to imagine what kind of games we would have to endure if Simeone became our manager. People would bring pillows to Old Trafford and his ultra defensive tactics would do the rest. No thanks give me someone who wants to play football.
Like I said, I'd rather beat City and Liverpool playing in a way that will exploit their style. It doesn't mean that these managers will have the issues Mourinho did. With Conte I'm not sure, but I don't see why Simeone couldn't do here what he did with Madrid.

I'm not one of those who will get their knickers in a twist if we don't play a super attacking style. It doesn't matter to me as long as we're winning.

Pscholes18

Like I said, I'd rather beat City and Liverpool playing in a way that will exploit their style. It doesn't mean that these managers will have the issues Mourinho did. With Conte I'm not sure, but I don't see why Simeone couldn't do here what he did with Madrid.

I'm not one of those who will get their knickers in a twist if we don't play a super attacking style. It doesn't matter to me as long as we're winning.

Utd have always been for the most part an attacking side and won trophies doing it....there is no reason why this can't continue. I'd lose my mind if they hire another defensive minded manager.

On the topic of Ole....just like Giggs people are putting the carriage before the horse......it's only been two matches again shit opponents...I'm not trying to be negetiive just realistic. It's been night and day in his two matches and will have a lot of time to prove himself moreso than Giggs did but does Ole have enough experience as a manager to take over It's permanently? Has he done enough with Molde for you lot to give him the job?

Hopefully that cnut Woodward will have a DoF setting him straight helping with the manager situation and not just hiring a name unless that name suits Utd.

Last edited:

Janson

Utd have always been for the most part an attacking side and won trophies doing it....there is no reason why this can't continue. I'd lose my mind if they hire another defensive minded manager.

On the topic of Ole....just like Giggs people are putting the carriage before the horse......it's only been two matches again shit opponents...I'm not trying to be negetiive just realistic. It's been night and day in his two matches and will have a lot of time to prove himself moreso than Giggs did but does Ole have enough experience as a manager to take over It's permanently? Has he done enough with Molde for you lot to give him the job?

Hopefully that cnut Woodward will have a DoF setting him straight helping with the manager situation and not just hiring a name unless that name suits Utd.
Utd have been an attacking side, but that's just a style I prefer. I wouldn't mind if we go with an attacking style and are successful either though. Like I said, it would be more satisfying to me if we beat Klopp and Pep in a similar way that Atletico did.

I agree on Ole. People are making him the permanent manager after two games. I'm not too confident it will continue tbh.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Does this guy speak English ? Very exciting option. Would need a Carrick type midfielder though.

Canagel

City and Liverpool are also the best counter attacking teams. Jose strength was also meant to be counter attacking yet we was the only team not to score from counter attack in the PL this season. Simeone, Conte etc will go in the same way .

Last edited:

Stubzy72

You're making it out as if any Tom, Dick or Harry could step into the United hotseat and automatically churn out positive results, when in reality it doesn't work that way. Ole has clearly done his research on the squad in terms of how best to deploy and utilize them both individually and as a collective. There is a video on the forum somewhere which describes, in detail, how Ole's tactical system functions - unfortunately, I cannot find it right now.

He's clearly saying the right things in the dressing room, the players look inspired, motivated, up for the challenge. Since his arrival they have covered more ground on the pitch than at any period during the last 5 years - they are working their asses off.

I have no idea if the good form will continue (there are no guarantees) but from what we have seen so far, Ole has done absolutely everything correctly. Which is a great deal more than many expected - myself included. I was prepared for a relegation battle in all honesty. Just enjoy the ride until it ends/if it ends.

Also this.
Man Utd haven’t got a bad squad at all it’s full of quality players. couple of signings and getting the team to play the Man Utd way. Sir Alex didn’t win every game. Peps having a bad run with city at the moment that’s football. Ole will lose a game or two but he’s Man Utd though and though and will get them playing again, I don’t get why we want to get a manager in again who doesn’t know the club. But who am I to say I’m only a supporter that would like to see Utd enjoying there football again. LVG won the FA Cup but never looked happy in the job. Mourinho won us Eroupa and league cups and never smiled even when we scored. The Man Utd job shouldn’t be a hard job with the hole team smiling and the quality we’ve got. Ole gets them playing which I believe he will, a top four finish and he should be given a full season in charge. If Ole finishes in the top four and don’t get the job the next manager will be under pressure next season

wolvored

If Ole gets top 4 he should be offered a 3 year contract, along with Phelan imo. There is also the FA cup and CH Lge/European cup to go for as well. If he won the FA cup and got us past PSG at least and finished 5th by only missing 4th by a point or 2, I would hope the club would give him a go. Its early days, but so far hes put a smile on the players faces again, as well as the fans. Hes got people wishing the next match were here, and feeling positive we can win it, rather than wondering how many we going to lose by. As I said theres a long way to go yet, but lets enjoy the moment while its good. As for those who want another pragmatic manager, Conte, Allegri, FFS why? Football is meant to be enjoyed, not bore you to death.

Kapardin

Bit concerned about reports of Allegri being favoured by our board. No doubt he is a proven winner and might actually deliver a league title unlike Jose, but I am not really keen on winning 1-0s again.

Though I assume Allegri should be on the shortlist due to his pedigree, I hope Woodward is not taking the easy (cheap) route out as opposed to shelling out 50 million for Pochettino. I'm warming up to a natural transition from Ole to Poch, if the former doesn't earn the permanent job, and we should do whatever we can to get the best fit for the club.

Suedesi

Massimiliano Allegri throws hat in ring to replace José Mourinho as permanent manager at Manchester United

Massimiliano Allegri wants to be considered for the Manchester United manager’s job when it becomes available at the end of the season.

Mauricio Pochettino, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, remains United’s first choice but other candidates, including the Juventus manager, have not been ruled out.

United are committed to conducting what club officials have described as a “thorough and extensive” recruitment process when it comes to determining who should succeed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the caretaker manager, at the end of the season.

Allegri, 51, led Juventus to four successive Serie A titles and took the Italian club to the Champions League final in 2015 and 2017. He is understood to have been taking English lessons over the past year and would like to work in the Premier League. He has let it be known that he would be keen on taking the job at Old Trafford, which is vacant after the sacking of José Mourinho.

Diego Simeone, the Atletico Madrid manager, has also been mentioned as a possible successor to Mourinho among the United hierarchy, although Pochettino is the clear favourite for the job because of the work he has done at Tottenham in the past four and a half years.

Solskjaer has claimed comprehensive victories over Cardiff City and Huddersfield Town in his first two matches in charge but it is understood that the chances of the Molde manager being given the job full time are slim, even if United go on an exceptional run under his stewardship.

The Norwegian club have insisted that the former United striker will return to his role in May.

Marcus Rashford has played well in Solskjaer’s first two games, scoring the first goal of his reign against Cardiff and nearly setting up Diogo Dalot for a goal on Boxing Day had the full back not missed the chance.

Still, Solskjaer believes that Rashford can improve and, having scored 126 goals for the club himself, intends to give some advice to the 21-year-old on how he can become more ruthless.

“I don’t think the team is used to his pace,” Solskjaer told TV2, the Norwegian broadcaster. “We must look for it earlier.

“The speed is his strength. I’m going to work on his finishing. He just has to calm down a bit. He has a good shot from outside the box. Within the box he must work to keep calm and just aim to put the ball past the goalkeeper.”

Solskjaer, who scored 126 goals for United, intends to help Rashford improve his record in front of goalSIMON GALLOWAY/PA
Solskjaer will reveal today whether Anthony Martial, Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sánchez will be fit enough for United’s match at home to Bournemouth on Sunday.

Martial has been out with illness and Lukaku has been on compassionate leave, while Sánchez returned to Manchester this week after undergoing treatment on a hamstring injury he sustained last month.

Solskjaer is expecting a far tougher challenge against Bournemouth and next Wednesday’s opponents, Newcastle United.

“With all due respect to Huddersfield, the two battles against Bournemouth and Newcastle will be more difficult,” he said.

Paul Pogba is almost certain to keep his place in the team after his man-of-the-match display against the Yorkshire club.

The Frenchman, who had a turbulent relationship with Mourinho, has found a new lease of life under Solskjaer.

Nemanja Matic, the United holding midfielder, said that Pogba’s confidence is growing under his new manager. “He’s very important for us and when he plays at his best, he can make the difference in every game,” he said.

“He played very well against Huddersfield but I think that he can do even more. Slowly, game by game [he can improve]. It was very important for him to score some goals.

“The confidence for the next one is going to be bigger and he needs to know that he still can improve.

“He needs to know that he’s very important for this team.

“His quality can make the difference every game and I hope that he will continue like this.”

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
How can you not love Ole? Regardless of team allegiances, he’s got to be one of the coolest players and managers ever. Love his attitude and how positive he is. Hope he does well and gives you no choice but to offer him the job full time!

This season is a bit of a weird one as I genuinely really like all of the “top 6” managers. I’m enjoying press conferences ffs :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.