[Poll] We desperately need a striker

Which striker should we buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kant-ona

Maybe some of the experts here can explain to me why we sold Van Persie before we signed a new striker. Does this strategy make any sense to you? I guess Robin would have loved to stay one more year, I even can imagine that he would have been able to deal with the idea of not being a starter in every single match and I am still convinced that he would haven been a very useful addition to our squad. So he wouldn't have been the worst plan B.

Why we didn't see if we can sign a good striker and THEN get rid of Van Persie? We could have transferred him on the very last day to Fenerbace. Now it seems as we have to do some panic buying or go into the season with too few strikers (and none of them in good shape).

Ringo 07

Maybe some of the experts here can explain to me why we sold Van Persie before we signed a new striker. Does this strategy make any sense to you? I guess Robin would have loved to stay one more year, I even can imagine that he would have been able to deal with the idea of not being a starter in every single match and I am still convinced that he would haven been a very useful addition to our squad. So he wouldn't have been the worst plan B.

Why we didn't see if we can sign a good striker and THEN get rid of Van Persie? We could have transferred him on the very last day to Fenerbace. Now it seems as we have to do some panic buying or go into the season with too few strikers (and none of them in good shape).
I was delighted to see the back of him...He had 2 awful seasons in a row here and was on massive wages......I am absolutely certain that Wayne Rooney will score a lot of goals up front this season once he finds his rhythm as a striker again...It was the right call....Another striker would be great but once Rooney starts scoring then all talk of him being burnt-out will disappear again

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

LVG thought he's past it and he couldnt play to his required level anymore, so he was sold. Partly also because RvP was probably not happy to sit on the bench for most games

Kant-ona

I understand that Van Gaal didn't believe in Van Persie's worldclass anymore, but isn't it naive to go into a season with only a few strikers, one of them very young? When you have the hope to play a vital role in four tournaments? What if Rooney is injuried and miss for example the first half of the season?

I only can imagine that Van Gaal was pretty sure to get a specific striker when he told Robin to leave. And then things went wrong with this specific striker. That's the only explanation I see for this chronology.

(Didn't Van Gaal have Gomez, Klose, Olic and Müller as forwards (and Luca Toni till he was fired) at Bayern and didn't he say that you need an amount of forwards cause the season is long and so on? I wonder how the same coach see it differently now.)

Last edited:

Shiva87

LVG thought he's past it and he couldnt play to his required level anymore, so he was sold. Partly also because RvP was probably not happy to sit on the bench for most games
More likely because LVG decided that he has a great selection of midfielders and he can't justify playing Rooney in midfield. If Rooney is captain and he starts when fit, RVP's wage bill can be better spent elsewhere (like Depay + Schweinsteiger). This had very little to do with RVP's decline. Don't think Rooney has played to his required level either, so if it was about a player's decline, even Rooney should have been gone by now.

Shiva87

I understand that Van Gaal didn't believe in Van Persie's worldclass anymore, but isn't it naive to go into a season with only a few strikers, one of them very young? When you have the hope to play a vital role in four tournaments? What if Rooney is injuried and miss for example the first half of the season?

I only can imagine that Van Gaal was pretty sure to get a specific striker when he told Robin to leave. And then things went wrong with this specific striker. That's the only explanation I see for this chronology.
Or, he just thinks Chicharito/ Depay/ Wilson/ Januzaj will be good enough to play in that position in Rooney's absence. He has mentioned that his system relies on goal scoring from midfield and the wings. So I don't think he is too worried about the one striker being a young player. Maybe we'll see the false 9 when Rooney is injured.

Edited*

Last edited:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
More likely because LVG decided that he has a great selection of midfielders and he can't justify playing Rooney in midfield. If Rooney is captain and he starts when fit, RVP's wage bill can be better spent elsewhere (like Depay + Schweinsteiger). This had very little to do with RVP's decline. Don't think Rooney has played to his required level either, so if it was about a player's decline, even Rooney should have been gone by now.
LVG believed more in Rooney than in RvP hence he got rid of the latter. In the end, it was RvP who wouldnt really start games anymore so he was sold

Sparky Rhiwabon

Just looking at the numbers on here - do 162 people really think that Chicarito is good enough to lead the line for us if we want to win the big two trophies??? I despair of some people on here.

Ixion

Just looking at the numbers on here - do 162 people really think that Chicarito is good enough to lead the line for us if we want to win the big two trophies??? I despair of some people on here.
Presumeably the thinking is Rooney starts no matter what so we're just looking for a striker to have on the bench and Hernandez suits that role.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Chelsea have Falcao as backup, City have Bony, Arsenal have Walcott or something?, so Hernandez is more than capable enough to be a back up striker for a team that wants to win trophies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We need someone to properly challenge/replace Rooney - is a striker of that calibre even available?
I even start to think that I would prefer Depay upfront than Rooney

ThanksBoss26

I was delighted to see the back of him...He had 2 awful seasons in a row here and was on massive wages......I am absolutely certain that Wayne Rooney will score a lot of goals up front this season once he finds his rhythm as a striker again...It was the right call....Another striker would be great but once Rooney starts scoring then all talk of him being burnt-out will disappear again
Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Presumeably the thinking is Rooney starts no matter what so we're just looking for a striker to have on the bench and Hernandez suits that role.
Chelsea have Falcao as backup, City have Bony, Arsenal have Walcott or something?, so Hernandez is more than capable enough to be a back up striker for a team that wants to win trophies.
Wait, so, all these people still think that Rooney is good enough to challenge for the big two? I despair of some people on here! When I voted "Other" I was meaning as number one striker! Kane the best of the named ones.

Judas

Open to offers
One of the reasons I was happy and accepting about RVP being sold is because I thought it was a clear sign we were bringing in a striker, never thought we'd get this late in the window and there really isn't any smoke about us being after one at all.

It's certainly a massive decision from LVG.

Ixion

Wait, so, all these people still think that Rooney is good enough to challenge for the big two? I despair of some people on here! When I voted "Other" I was meaning as number one striker! Kane the best of the named ones.
No, they just realise Van Gaal is not going to drop or sell Rooney so they're voting realistically what might happen.

Sparky Rhiwabon

No, they just realise Van Gaal is not going to drop or sell Rooney so they're voting realistically what might happen.
I think you may be underestimating Van Gaal - his love for RVP was well documented when he came here, yet he ruthlessly cut him loose as soon as his decline became apparent.

Shiva87

LVG believed more in Rooney than in RvP hence he got rid of the latter. In the end, it was RvP who wouldnt really start games anymore so he was sold
That's my point. More than belief, I think LVG was looking at utility. Rooney did win LVG over as captain with his- "we go for 2nd place" speech. Which has what saved him the axe. RVP didn't give that off field vocal quality. In terms of on pitch ability, I still think RVP edged it.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals

You're wrong assuming he would've been happy to play second fiddle to Rooney. Robin said he would make a decision on his future with the EURO 2016 in mind, Huntelaar is constantly breathing down his neck for the strikers position in the NT and would surpass him if he was benched for a year.

Sparky Rhiwabon

That's my point. More than belief, I think LVG was looking at utility. Rooney did win LVG over as captain with his- "we go for 2nd place" speech. Which has what saved him the axe. RVP didn't give that off field vocal quality. In terms of on pitch ability, I still think RVP edged it.
I can't imagine Fergie, Keano or the Class of 92 being impressed with a "we go for 2nd place" speech

Shiva87

I can't imagine Fergie, Keano or the Class of 92 being impressed with a "we go for 2nd place" speech
Yes, but we were playing poor football and losing games. We had the in form teams of the league up next. Our season could have been over if we lost any one of the Spurs or Liverpool games. It was great that we didn't. I think its LVG's biggest mistake to make Rooney captain - but I understand that he made a choice between RVP and Rooney based on their off-field impact. I still think RVP had more to give on the field.

The White Pele

What are people's thoughts on Bafetimbi Gomis? Good athlete, quick, direct, decent in the air, composure (sometimes too much) in front of goal.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What are people's thoughts on Bafetimbi Gomis? Good athlete, quick, direct, decent in the air, composure (sometimes too much) in front of goal.
Still not sure if he is the new Saha or the new Kenwyne Jones. Seeing as he is 30, I'd think the latter.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Still not sure if he is the new Saha or the new Kenwyne Jones. Seeing as he is 30, I'd think the latter.
I was confused about which was of those options was the "good" option for a minute

antohan

For the life of me, I can't see how you got to that.
I said I wasn't bothered if players were put off by our tactics as only those who will suit them and revel in them are of interest (win-win, I'd rather avoid misfits anyway). You said it wasn't win-win because it made it quite hard to find a world class striker. Which is the starting point anyway, so the only alternative to make it easier is signing the wrong players just because they are world class.

rcoobc

Are you confusing Saha and Zaha? I would give my left nut for a fit Saha playing upfront for us.
:lol: No

A fit Saha was a very different beast to a non-fit Saha. Saha never got 10 league goals for us, and only did it once playing for Everton.

I think Saha would be completely the wrong type of striker for this United team. He'd be constantly drifting into the same type of positions held by our midfield. Mata, Januzaj, Depay, etc.

What we need is a Drogba, a RVN, a Benzema, a Costa... Someone big and fat who can lead the line like a boss and score a tonne of goals.

I mean, I'd love a fit Saha. Shame we never had one.

Godfather

A fit Saha was a very different beast to a non-fit Saha. Saha never got 10 league goals for us, and only did it once playing for Everton.

I think Saha would be completely the wrong type of striker for this United team. He'd be constantly drifting into the same type of positions held by our midfield. Mata, Januzaj, Depay, etc.

What we need is a Drogba, a RVN, a Benzema, a Costa... Someone big and fat who can lead the line like a boss and score a tonne of goals.

Ibra :drool:

JoaquinJoaquin

Jesus, Gomis looks a pub player most of the time. I think 70% of the goals he has got so far for Swansea have been deflections.

antohan

I would love Benzema, but I don't think he fits your definition of what we need at all... more like the sort you describe as a misfit because he would get involved in buildup. Opinions, eh?

rcoobc

I would love Benzema, but I don't think he fits your definition of what we need at all... more like the sort you describe as a misfit because he would get involved in buildup. Opinions, eh?
Yeah, I agree Benzema doesn't really fit. He half fits. Shearer might be another one. Lukaku, when he is good, would work. I didn't put Zlatan in there because again, he is another half fit (but different to Benzema).

Just a big fat ugly bully striker with a goal scoring rate that is second to none. Sure, I wouldn't turn down a Thierry Henry, but right now what we are really really lacking is a bully-boy striker.

(Although a bully-boy striker with more skill and class and dimensions to his game than Andy Carroll, obviously)

rcoobc

That's the funny thing. When we first signed RVP someone posted a video on here about his build up play, and just how good it really is. And Rooney's best season was up front as the main striker.

And then we played RVP up front as the main striker, which in my opinion was not his best position. We never got the best out of both him and any other striker at the same time.

Now Rooney has, to be honest, currently lost the ability he had to play up front as the number 9, and needs to operate as a number 10.. Or something else. He certainly can't bully a world class defence nor cause enough trouble for the team behind him to find some space. Maybe that's why we never played him ahead of RVP, of maybe he just has lost that ability in the 5 years since he had to do it.

If we ever do sign a proper fat old bully boy striker, I think Rooney may quickly lose his place in the team altogether. But he would be fighting to play in the number 10 roll, which is sadly probably his best position now.

What happened to the "Where are the proper strikers thread."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/09/strikers-premier-league-gonzalo-higuain

antohan

Yeah, I agree Benzema doesn't really fit. He half fits. Shearer might be another one. Lukaku, when he is good, would work. I didn't put Zlatan in there because again, he is another half fit (but different to Benzema).

Just a big fat ugly bully striker with a goal scoring rate that is second to none. Sure, I wouldn't turn down a Thierry Henry, but right now what we are really really lacking is a bully-boy striker.

(Although a bully-boy striker with more skill and class and dimensions to his game than Andy Carroll, obviously)
So you really really wanted Benteke then. I must say I did fancy that as an option. What do you think about playing Fellaini in such a role? Too Carroll-like? :lol:

SoCross

Some one big and fat and a bully of a striker? This is what Rooney should have been. Could have been a proper battering ram.

Not quite sure what he is now but I'm still clinging onto the hope that he will just click and go on one of those purple patches of his. Tap ins, close range headers...he's still capable of this! Just get someone to link midfield and attack properly a la Herrera/Mata/Schweinsteiger and I think we'll still see an effective Rooney. Right now he is way too isolated.

Last edited: