Music Popular songs with awesome drums

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Greatest Basslines thread made me think of this. What are some popular songs with awesome drums in them? (Edit: I said live drums first, but that's misunderstood and I can't think of a better way to succinctly say that I mean drums that aren't programmed but played with hands and feet. And anyway, I'm interested in all good drum parts.)

There are obviously great drums parts in jazz, prog, math, and similar genres, and I love Terry Bozzio; but that's not what I am getting at here. I am looking for pop songs with hit potential (even if they weren't necessarily a hit) that have great drums. That can be about creativity, technique, feel - whatever makes that drum performance great.

I'm going to kick this off with the great Stewart Copeland myself. The Police's Message In A Bottle was obviously a huge hit and its sounds great fun and super accessible; but if you listen to the drums closely, you'll notice that Copeland plays something very different each verse (starting at 0:06, 1:00, and 2:10), and each time they're pretty creative and fitting parts. And in general of course, like anything Copeland did in The Police, it has his great sound and feel and everything.

I'll stop myself from posting more about Copeland. Over to you!

Last edited:

Achilles McCool

I might be showing my age, but anything from RUSH!
YYZ live and Neil Peart’s solo is still one of the strongest!

edit: I see now what you mean by “live” but I’ll stick with RUSH. Tom Sawyer had an incredible drum line. *doubt you’d call them “pop” though;)

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I might be showing my age, but anything from RUSH!
YYZ live and Neil Peart’s solo is still one of the strongest!

edit: I see now what you mean by “live” but I’ll stick with RUSH. Tom Sawyer had an incredible drum line. *doubt you’d call them “pop” though;)
Yeah, I didn't mean 'live in concert', and I would class YYZ as one of those difficult prog pieces, not a pop track. ;) But Tom Sawyer counts! That was a big hit and still plays on the radio. Cool bassdrum/snare rhythm in that one - and Peart's trademark ultra quick fills of course.

We had a Rush discussion just last week btw: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/rush.464487/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I love Matt Cameron's drumming on this one.
Yeah, the style/rhythm is an interesting choice! That could have been drummed much more conventionally, and it would've been a very different song. Special snare sound as well.

Last edited:

Bondi77

I just love the funky beat.....Some like it Hot

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Few points: with sounds replacement nowadays the line between ‘live’ and programmed, played and sampled is much blurred. For instance you could play a song live on pads, to a click, and later replace the sounds. So lots of modern very authentic sounding kits need to be viewed in this light.

I love the mad freedom of pre-click days; songs that speed up over the course of the tune (Isley Brothers, T-Rex, Rolling Stones), car crash parts (Ringo in the mid 8 odd-time part in Happiness is a Warm Gun), great sounding kits (the Small Faces, anything by Creedence). And of course, as an antidote to machines, there is always Mr Keith Moon.

Old Ma Crow

Money for nothing - Dire Straits
Mitch Mitchell’s work with The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Few points: with sounds replacement nowadays the line between ‘live’ and programmed, played and sampled is much blurred. For instance you could play a song live on pads, to a click, and later replace the sounds. So lots of modern very authentic sounding kits need to be viewed in this light.
I didn't mean to be that specific; I just meant anything that's not programmed outright. Like, Pet Shop Boys have made a lot of really nice and fitting drum parts for their 80s hits, but it's a different craft to my mind than playing it with hands and feet.

I love the mad freedom of pre-click days; songs that speed up over the course of the tune (Isley Brothers, T-Rex, Rolling Stones), car crash parts (Ringo in the mid 8 odd-time part in Happiness is a Warm Gun), great sounding kits (the Small Faces, anything by Creedence). And of course, as an antidote to machines, there is always Mr Keith Moon.
Yeah, click tracks remove some of the organicness from music; although I am not sure I could tell if put to the test. Most pop is anyway very constant in terms of tempo.

Kit sound is fascinating. Especially in the 80s, you can often date tracks within 2-3 years just by listening to the drums.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, the style/rhythm is an interesting choice! That could have been drummers much more conventionally, and it would've been a very different song. Special snare sound as well.
Especially considering Matt's normal gig was for Soundgarden. The feel of his drumming on that track is very special IMO.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This won't make me popular, but Turn It On Again by Genesis is another one for me. It actually goes through a sequence of odd time signatures, including 13/4 in the verses, but you can't really tell if you're not looking for it. That's partly because the main riff is kept simple, but also because Collins drums a very unassuming beat to it, that doesn't emphasize the timing but kinda glosses over it by playing less, leaving space, and so on. A wonderful way to make some difficult accessible by keeping everything understated.

Foo Fighters- The Best of You.
I see what you mean, but this is somehow a beat that really annoys me. It has a stumbling quality to me that feels like it's constantly waiting to break open and make the song 'fluid'; except when bands use it, it rather tends to be the song's main beat. I just can't stand it.

Another example of this is Wintersleep's Spirit - which emphasizes what I mean by letting the beat 'break open' in the middle eight section (at 2:11), but then goes straight back to it. Sigh.

Well, to me it's similar, anyway. :wenger:

led_scholes

Ringo at his best

Bonham's most iconic one

I also wanted to include Burn by Deep Purple, but I don't think its really popular.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I like Rick Beato's YouTube channel; he's got lots of interesting things to say about music. He also does some Top 20s, and here is the one he did on drum grooves. Lots of good ones!

Superunknown

Great first choice with Stewart Copeland!

My two favourite drummers are Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins and Danny Carey from Tool. These two are easily two of the best drummers on the planet and are all-time greats, for different reasons. Both are two of my favourite musicians and have been highly influential for me.

A Pumpkins classic: Geek USA. Probably some of his best work.

Then there's Cherub Rock, which is much more well-known. I've included Geek USA because it's a highly regarded Pumpkins classic, but I can't tell how much it's known outside of their fanbase. Pretty sure everyone knows Cherub Rock, however.

There's so many great Tool tracks to name. Lateralus, Forty Six & 2. Tbh, any Tool song usually has an amazing drum part. The newest album has some of his best work, too. Pnuema, hnggggg.

I'm going with Ticks & Leeches:

and

Revaulx

Not sure whether it qualifies as a “popular song”, but the first thing I ever heard that really made me sit up and notice the drumming was Frankenstein by the Edgar Winter Group. The single is good, but the longer version I first saw on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1973 is on YouTube and is fab. Drum duets :drool:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Fiona always like herself some good percussions:

Fiona Apple - Limp

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
John Bonham’s When the Levee Breaks is one of the most iconic beginnings of a song with drums ever. It’s also one of the most sampled tracks used by the the Beastie Boys to Beyoncé. But as an earlier poster pointed out “Achilles Last Stand “ by Bonham with Zep is the pinnacle imo.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Great first choice with Stewart Copeland!

My two favourite drummers are Jimmy Chamberlin from the Smashing Pumpkins and Danny Carey from Tool. These two are easily two of the best drummers on the planet and are all-time greats, for different reasons. Both are two of my favourite musicians and have been highly influential for me.

A Pumpkins classic: Geek USA. Probably some of his best work.

Then there's Cherub Rock, which is much more well-known. I've included Geek USA because it's a highly regarded Pumpkins classic, but I can't tell how much it's known outside of their fanbase. Pretty sure everyone knows Cherub Rock, however.

There's so many great Tool tracks to name. Lateralus, Forty Six & 2. Tbh, any Tool song usually has an amazing drum part. The newest album has some of his best work, too. Pnuema, hnggggg.

I'm going with Ticks & Leeches:

and

Some great examples here.

Out of curiosity, do you play drums?

I've found Jimmy Chamberlain to be a real drummer's drummer. I didn't really appreciate just how technical his style was until I started playing. I played Siamese Dream to death when I was in high school and somehow he just didn't stand out to me. Perhaps I just started noticing drumming styles more as a result of playing, but his style is incredible complex, but doesn't appear overly flashy or fill-heavy. Massively underrated.