Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Izzy's reaction to it (one of two black players) is very weird though, he replies with crying faces. It could be that they are describing what people would be saying I guess, and he's laughing at it. Still don't really appreciate that language.

Could also be that he's a teen and doesnt know how to react to something like this (who does?), or the racism is so persistent that he's become quite numb of it or maybe even accepting, who knows?
He was the one who originally shared the chat though (in OP his name is replaced by 'me'). He'll probably end up getting disciplined for this.

Nedu

Supports
Barcelona
I don't use Instagram, Snapchat... but looking at one of the reply tweets, the two screens have different names on.

Is that because you can see full names or just first names OR is it that easy to alter/fake these images? (the two screenshots have different names).
That's probably because it was shared by different accounts who have each saved their names differently.

For example in the first screen the owner of the account was the one using the 'shedding tears' emoji as the last chat and that's why it says 'me' while in the second screen since it's some one else's account, his actual name Izzie is shown

It seems more likely it's real than fake unfortunately.... especially given the response of the club...

OL29

You'd imagine 100% these days.

The dumb thing is these kids are probably not even 'genuinely' racist, they just think it's cool to use racist language and speak this way with their friends.

No doubt this will ruin their potential careers, and stick with them for life. I hope it was worth it :houllier:
They’re hideously racist, no one can tell me that anyone using that language isn’t, let’s not trivialise it.

Iron

why is sancho considered black? for example. I always considered black to be players like Pogba, kante, Baloteli, but not someone like Dani Alves. Cristiano tries hard to get that tan, sancho has it all natural.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He was the one who originally shared the chat though (in OP his name is replaced by 'me')
Seems like it, I just don't really get his emoji use. Maybe I am not as young as I think I am.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Lived experience/ subjective opinion , I see no difference. My lived experience says kids nowadays are less racist than the generations before them. I don't claim to have proof either way though.

None of those links back up your point which is Racism has been proven to be worse amongst the younger generation.
I'm Punjabi too, and in my fourties and have seen the swells and lulls of racism. Usually linked to economic downturns. Currently, it's a bad time for racism.

And of course lived experiences are subjective, because they are lived. But if you've got a stack of lived experiences saying something has happened and a few saying it hasn't, then, on the balance of probabilities, it's happening.

You might have been lucky to experience little racism, and I hope that continues, but you do need to listen when people are saying that it is increasing

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think ultimately it takes someone who's brave enough to call them out on their shit. Racists only feel brave enough to say things like this in environments that they deem to be safe and among other likeminded people. Unfortunately, more people end up feeling uncomfortable and say nothing, which only encourages the racists.
Until more & more people start calling out their family/friends/co-workers etc, these incidents will always happen.
I agree.

padzilla

Hipster
We live in a society where this sort of behaviour is encouraged and anybody who objects is told to stop being a "snowflake" and it's "only banter".

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You can edit names, some will have original names, other edited.

This is pretty much validation of the matter, there are 2 Dan's in the team and Dan Gifford confirms it is Dan Cadman who said this. I hope there are serious repercussions for these guys, this is sick.

Why are black people so hated, I honestly don't get it.

Izzy's reaction to it (one of two black players) is very weird though, he replies with crying faces. It could be that they are describing what people would be saying I guess, and he's laughing at it. Still don't really appreciate that language.

Could also be that he's a teen and doesnt know how to react to something like this (who does?), or the racism is so persistent that he's become quite numb of it or maybe even accepting, who knows?
Often times when you're black (and I would presume any other race) and in a career where you're a minority, you will compartmentalise things like racism in order to achieve your end goal. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels pressure to be one of 'the lads' and form bonds so he's not even more of an odd-one out than his skin colour gives him.
Lewis Hamilton spoke about this recently I believe.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Some of the lads have now deactivated their Twitter account, it just seems so stupid despite their age.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Often times when you're black (and I would presume any other race) and in a career where you're a minority, you will compartmentalise things like racism in order to achieve your end goal. I wouldn't be surprised if he feels pressure to be one of 'the lads' and form bonds so he's not even more of an odd-one out than his skin colour gives him.
Lewis Hamilton spoke about this recently I believe.
This 100% makes sense, and it is just awful to see.

Jagga7

The past few days have been really grim but it has shown how prevalent racism is in this country.

The truth is behind closed doors you have no idea who is racist, and who isn't.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
You can edit names, some will have original names, other edited.

This is pretty much validation of the matter, there are 2 Dan's in the team and Dan Gifford confirms it is Dan Cadman who said this. I hope there are serious repercussions for these guys, this is sick.

Why are black people so hated, I honestly don't get it.

The emoji's are "crying" not "crying with laughter", he's clearly and understandably upset with their behaviour. By the looks of things too it's a 3rd party that's shared the group chat too, so maybe, if it is him who shared the screenshots with someone else, because we don't 100% know and we can only allege, don't want to get the CAF into any trouble here, to then share with Twitter to save himself from any repercussions that he feels he may receive?

@Damien / @golden_blunder please delete if this is not allowed.

Swedish_Plumber

Worrying that these are kids showing this sentiment. Man, the world is f*cked.
Yeah for sure. There’s just so much racism going on everywhere these days whether it be on social media, the streets or on gaming platforms that people are desensitised.
These players have either become the above to it all through those platforms, or they’ve learned this behaviour from ‘role models’.
Why they think they’re safe on a group chat shows they have no brain cells among them. What a horrible bunch.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The past few days have been really grim but it has shown how prevalent racism is in this country.

The racism we see on social media is the tip of the iceberg. What we don't see is the bulk of racism, private online chats, in person chats away from other people, subliminal racism that isn't clear to everyone.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
".. images that are discriminatory in nature." Yeah right Pompey, when they are talking about lynchings and using the the n-word so casually, how about try again and call it out for what it is, horribly vile and racist.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I'm Punjabi too, and in my fourties and have seen the swells and lulls of racism. Usually linked to economic downturns. Currently, it's a bad time for racism.

And of course lived experiences are subjective, because they are lived. But if you've got a stack of lived experiences saying something has happened and a few saying it hasn't, then, on the balance of probabilities, it's happening.

You might have been lucky to experience little racism, and I hope that continues, but you do need to listen when people are saying that it is increasing
The poster in question used the word proven. If they had said in their experience, I would have no problem with it. I've never said how much racism I've personally experienced ( a lot) but that's besides the point. Since you're in your 40s ask your parents and grandparents if you can how bad racism was in their time then compare to our generation and that of the kids. I believe things are getting better overall though again I don't have proof either way.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The emoji's are "crying" not "crying with laughter", he's clearly and understandably upset with their behaviour. By the looks of things too it's a 3rd party that's shared the group chat too, so maybe, if it is him who shared the screenshots with someone else, because we don't 100% know and we can only allege, don't want to get the CAF into any trouble here, to then share with Twitter to save himself from any repercussions that he feels he may receive?

@Damien / @golden_blunder please delete if this is not allowed.
I don't think there's usually a big difference between the two, used interchangeably and especially when they are used excessively.

But fair point, could be, Dan Gifford already confirmed basically that it was Izzy who made the screenshot as he showed his version of the conversation. I do appreciate your carefulness though, always good to be careful with these things.

Zelex

I don't expect racism (or any form of discrimination) to end however I do expect tolerance. I can't stop how you think/feel about certain people but could you keep those thoughts within yourself or in private. Those comments are awful. I'm surprised at how casually they've used these words/emojis.

MadMike

They fecked up their careers and I have little sympathy for them.

Racism is learned behaviour. These are youths. WTF are their parents teaching them? Where do they pick up this vile behaviour from, in which circles is this allowed to fester? It's just so disheartening to watch

Jagga7

The racism we see on social media is the tip of the iceberg. What we don't see is the bulk of racism, private online chats, in person chats away from other people, subliminal racism that isn't clear to everyone.
Yeh precisely and I think it's safe to assume if younger people are harbouring these sort of attitudes and beliefs, they have older family members who are enabling it.

MadMike

Where has it been proven to be false?
Normally it's the other way. Making a statement like that should also carry the burden of providing proof to back it up. If I said the earth is travelling through space on the back of a giant turtle, it's me who has to provide proof to back my statement up. You don't just throw statements and then expect others to do the work to disprove them.

Is there any proof younger generations are less racist? And not just behaving less overtly racist out of fear of retributions, rather than because they abhor the ideology?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The black lads are part of this chat too? wow...

Imagine seeing that, it's so fecking wrong. I'm glad whoever shared it did.

There is "banter" and there's just plain racism + discrimination.

Oldyella

But..but.. the Government released a report saying we were the least racist country ever!

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The poster in question used the word proven. If they had said in their experience, I would have no problem with it. I've never said how much racism I've personally experienced ( a lot) but that's besides the point. Since you're in your 40s ask your parents and grandparents if you can how bad racism was in their time then compare to our generation and that of the kids. I believe things are getting better overall though again I don't have proof either way.
So, you have experienced a lot of racism then.

The racism has changed in the big cities, its much more subtle, though middle England is as overt as it always has been. The systematic racism has also been hidden, but is still there, which is why HR departments are talking about unconscious biases. They wouldn't be investing in it if it wasn't a proven problem

The anonymity and speed of communication has allowed all types of extremist grooming to increase

Pickle85

I think ultimately it takes someone who's brave enough to call them out on their shit. Racists only feel brave enough to say things like this in environments that they deem to be safe and among other likeminded people. Unfortunately, more people end up feeling uncomfortable and say nothing, which only encourages the racists.
Until more & more people start calling out their family/friends/co-workers etc, these incidents will always happen.

Ok buddy
Agree with this. I'm definitely guilty of having said nothing out of fear/social awkwardness and it's a spectacularly unhelpful reaction.

Oo0AahCantona

But..but.. the Government released a report saying we were the least racist country ever!
Beat me to it...

And to think, shock horror, the Tory's recently released their report saying Britain was a bastion of equality and was an example for other countries to follow. There has to be a point where some "reachable" conservatives snap and realise just how far away from lived reality they are, at least in this arena. Not that racism is owned by just one political framework, but it is the party line for divide and rule conservatism of the past decade, and nothing can be done without a bipartisan approach from the top down. Things have taken a sharp downturn since 2015/2016, and its just unbelievably sad that we cant focus debate on economic policy, or the NHS because the tory's have bought hook line and sinker into the trumpian Culture war bullshit approach.

diarm

What an incredibly depressing story.

To have the sort of talent it takes to be in a professional football academy, with the promise of such an exciting career ahead of you, but for that not to be enough to remove the hatred and ignorance from your heart is so, so sad.

These lads have black teammates, not only that they train and line out with every week, but who were in that message group. It takes a really horrible, nasty streak in a person to use language like that without a second thought to the hurt it would obviously cause.

I'm all for giving youth the benefit of the doubt and offering second chances - God knows I did stupid shit when I was young. But I was never deliberately and needlessly cruel, and nor was anyone I ever knew. This wasn't just a silly mistake or trying to act the big man in front of the lads - it was actively malicious.

UpWithRivers

They should be loaned to an African or any club with a different culture to hopefully broaden their tiny minds. Im serious. I dont know if this is the solution but I hope someone will come up with some form of education. Ruining their careers and fines etc is one thing but they will just continue to be racist arseholes.

FatTails

[
You'd imagine 100% these days.

The dumb thing is these kids are probably not even 'genuinely' racist, they just think it's cool to use racist language and speak this way with their friends.

No doubt this will ruin their potential careers, and stick with them for life. I hope it was worth it :houllier:
fecking hell, not this shit again. There is no magical level you have to get to to achieve racist status. If you say racist shit, or do racist stuff, you’re racist. Simple as that.

MUFC OK

We will never change as a society unfortunately
We could try getting a government that doesn't sow the seeds of hate and division, and are happy to fan the flames of racism for political advantage. 11 years of tory rule, austerity etc and we are in the worst place societally since Thatcher. Absolutely no coincidence.

I just pray that we can at least get a govt that is compassionate, empathetic and inclusive.

NotThatSoph

They fecked up their careers and I have little sympathy for them.

Racism is learned behaviour. These are youths. WTF are their parents teaching them? Where do they pick up this vile behaviour from, in which circles is this allowed to fester? It's just so disheartening to watch
The chat is chan culture personified.

It's of course very possible that parents have a bad influence, both in general and in this specific case, but where do they pick up this behaviour? They can do it two clicks away.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
fecking hell, not this shit again. There is no magical level you have to get to to achieve racist status. If you say racist shit, or do racist stuff, you’re racist. Simple as that.
Is that really true though? Lots of people say dumb shit when they're alone with their friends and think they're safe.

I've had friends talk this way before, but I know they aren't ACTUALLY racist. I've seen them talk about women in a derogatory way, but it doesn't mean they're sexist either.

Maybe i'm not explaining it very well, but people seem to think it's acceptable to talk this way to be seen as cool or edgy? It's particularly strong amongst young males from like 12-18 years old.

They'll no doubt look back at this and think WTF were they doing.

Let me get this clear - obviously what they're saying is racist language and I don't condone it at all.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is because they've been empowered by the government - both ours and the US.

It will have 100% made things worse in the younger generations, either directly or indirectly through their parents.

FatTails

Is that really true though? Lots of people say dumb shit when they're alone with their friends and think they're safe.

I've had friends talk this way before, but I know they aren't ACTUALLY racist. I've seen them talk about women in a derogatory way, but it doesn't mean they're sexist either.

Maybe i'm not explaining it very well, but people seem to think it's acceptable to talk this way to be seen as cool or edgy? It's particularly strong amongst young males from like 12-18 years old.

They'll no doubt look back at this and think WTF were they doing.

Let me get this clear - obviously what they're saying is racist language and I don't condone it at all.
How is someone “ACTUALLY racist” then? We can only go by their words and actions. There is no other way to know. People are responsible for their words and actions, and if they are not actually racists and don’t want to be perceived as such, then they should act differently.

I understand that in the current times we live in, being far right or racist seems to be the cool counterculture thing to do (which appeals to kids who want to be edgy), but for someone who is at the end of racism, the perpetrator being “actually racist” or not doesn’t matter at all.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Off course it's better in a way that they arent physically killing people or snatching them from their home. We have gone along way from that thankfully.

People used to grope at my mum for being a minority back in the 70s.

But the feeling is there lurking in the shadows, with no avenue to come out it's only a matter of time before it explodes, not helped by the media narratives playing scapegoat on certain minority all the time. The more stringent media censure might cover-up the ugly truth, some unlucky bunch got cancelled and outed but for every outed racist the rest is like fuel to the rest of them.

Conor

Not only is it racism, but it's basically workplace harassment, given there are black teammates in the chat. They should all be sacked immediately.