Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

Bobade

why is sancho considered black? for example. I always considered black to be players like Pogba, kante, Baloteli, but not someone like Dani Alves. Cristiano tries hard to get that tan, sancho has it all natural.
Surely this isn't a genuine question.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I think it comes back to bullying and how those who are dominantly aggressive and arrogant always create a negative environment for everyone else. Most kids haven't developed the mental fortitude to go against the grain and, being as sympathetic as I can, it's just about the last thing they want because 'social shunning' can be a huge issue for them individually. Often it's just easier to play the game and fit in, as sad as that sounds.

This is why bullying - and by extension severe forms of it like racism - needs to be quelled at the root. It encourages lots of negative behaviour that can spiral.

Portsmouth, the club, have done the right thing here by calling attention to it. Hopefully the perpetrators will be better educated so it can be disempowered.

Really though, when top dog leaders create this type of environment, you will almost certainly get this type of problem in return (at work, people call it a toxic environment; in society, we call it systematic discrimination).

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How is someone “ACTUALLY racist” then? We can only go by their words and actions. There is no other way to know. People are responsible for their words and actions, and if they are not actually racists and don’t want to be perceived as such, then they should act differently.

I understand that in the current times we live in, being far right or racist seems to be the cool counterculture thing to do (which appeals to kids who want to be edgy), but for someone who is at the end of racism, the perpetrator being “actually racist” or not doesn’t matter at all.
There's a difference between some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool, and actually going out looking to beat up/lynch somebody or abuse them for being Black/Asian etc.

Obviously these kids could well be 100% racist and full of hate, we won't know that unless we know them personally.

All I can say is from a similar situation I've had people I know say stupid things but they wouldn't ever look to hurt somebody or abuse them if given an opportunity. It's the same with Bullying in general, why do people think it's OK to discriminate against Red hair? or people overweight etc.

I hope you understand where i'm coming from.

Pearl.Jam

The sad thing is that this isn’t surprising anymore given how prevalent this is in society, bollocks to redemption too, I hope their careers are in tatters

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
why is sancho considered black? for example. I always considered black to be players like Pogba, kante, Baloteli, but not someone like Dani Alves. Cristiano tries hard to get that tan, sancho has it all natural.
Some advice - take on board, ignore, your call.

Be careful what you post and when. Also, not all questions need posting on the Caf (or even asking at all), do your own research.

Dare to Zlatan

Supports
Zlatan
Being fairly local to the area and also having played for the Portsmouth academy as a child, this doesn’t surprise me with the class of local down “Pompey”.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
:lol: that's basically racism in a nutshell and you still don't get it

Matthew84!

Every child from a very young age knows exactly what they can't say as its only almost every platform available.
No one can say oh I didn't know that was racist or I thought that was acceptable.
Even joking around with friends that language is totally unacceptable.

If proved it was them they should just be sacked, if it was a normal job and you got caught saying that you'd be fired.
I'm sure if this happens they'll learn from it and hopefully it'll stop people posting this rubbish.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In real life.
There may be less lynchings, or segregation and other blatantly & outwardly displays of racism. But systemic, institutional and daily instances of racism haven't gone anywhere.
These two things can simultaneously be true:

1. There a lot less people (including younger people) who are racist now than there was in the past.

2. Lots of people are racist

pauldyson1uk

Not a lot shocks me to be honest, but this has.
They are young footballers, learning football, who play and have played against black players, these tweets are shocking and will have repercussions for a long time for all of them involved.
Portsmouth have to sack them and immediately.

macheda14

There's a difference between some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool, and actually going out looking to beat up/lynch somebody or abuse them for being Black/Asian etc.

Obviously these kids could well be 100% racist and full of hate, we won't know that unless we know them personally.

All I can say is from a similar situation I've had people I know say stupid things but they wouldn't ever look to hurt somebody or abuse them if given an opportunity. It's the same with Bullying in general, why do people think it's OK to discriminate against Red hair? or people overweight etc.

Racism is very complex in its forms and its origins. Racism is quite a broad term, we can be speaking about systemic cultural racism, or intimate personal racism. However what racism is, at its very core, is binary. You're either racist or you aren't. If what someone says is a 'little bit racist', or if a society 'isn't as racist as before' its still racist. 1% racist, is racist. It doesn't matter if its just 'some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool' - they have internalised racist rhetoric and are using it in a vicious manner.

Racism is oddly a more difficult issue to understand today compared to the past. Most people with racist tendencies don't believe they're racist. At least in the past racists were racists and proud of it. Now you have people who have biases, they interact differently with PoC, they take issue with anti-racist movements and shroud it in some misunderstanding of marxism, they vote to enact racist policies, they enjoy 'dark humour, but they dont meeean it', they go on forums saying 'well that's not like 100% racist'. Racism and racists are endemic, but harder to qualify, harder to expunge from society. Most racists now, would be horrified by violence against PoC, but my word will they take any opportunity to criticise them for 'asking for too much'. We've ripped down the posters of racism, but now we're trying to scrape of the fecking adhesive, and that takes far far longer.

And come on, don't try and equate racism with bullying. Yes we shouldn't be discriminating people based on their hair colour or their weight (I mean people don't think that's ok anymore look at the body positivity movement). But that's not the same as what these academy kids said. And to think it is is quite laughable.

I have some small advice for you, no matter how great or small you think a racist act is, maybe don't try and excuse it. It isn't a good look. I'd perhaps just keep to not understanding the offside rule as your contribution to this forum.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Don't these kids play with black players? I can't imagine the Portsmouth academy is all white
Exactly what I thought.

I think this year proved racism isn't a vastly monocultural countries' problem but is as prevalent in progressive, multicultural ones.

Sickening given how many black people there are in England. And that's over a fecking peno missed!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Someone already mentioned 4chan. I wonder if there are kids nowadays who are outrageously racist in an almost ironic/edgy way? Trying to shock people for laughs, while expecting nobody to take them seriously. Which is why messages like that might appear in a group chat amongst a racially mixed group of (presumably) friends.

Still grim though. Must make the black/mixed race kids who are constantly exposed to this stuff feel like shit.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Off course it's better in a way that they arent physically killing people or snatching them from their home. We have gone along way from that thankfully.

People used to grope at my mum for being a minority back in the 70s.

But the feeling is there lurking in the shadows, with no avenue to come out it's only a matter of time before it explodes, not helped by the media narratives playing scapegoat on certain minority all the time. The more stringent media censure might cover-up the ugly truth, some unlucky bunch got cancelled and outed but for every outed racist the rest is like fuel to the rest of them.
I agree
Normally it's the other way. Making a statement like that should also carry the burden of providing proof to back it up. If I said the earth is travelling through space on the back of a giant turtle, it's me who has to provide proof to back my statement up. You don't just throw statements and then expect others to do the work to disprove them.

Is there any proof younger generations are less racist? And not just behaving less overtly racist out of fear of retributions, rather than because they abhor the ideology?
I agree the burden of proof should be on the person who made the statement. However that was not me and proof was not provided.
So, you have experienced a lot of racism then.

The racism has changed in the big cities, its much more subtle, though middle England is as overt as it always has been. The systematic racism has also been hidden, but is still there, which is why HR departments are talking about unconscious biases. They wouldn't be investing in it if it wasn't a proven problem

The anonymity and speed of communication has allowed all types of extremist grooming to increase
Agreed

Sir Marcus

:houllier:

God help us all.

Adam-Utd

I have some small advice for you, no matter how great or small you think a racist act is, maybe don't try and excuse it. It isn't a good look. I'd perhaps just keep to not understanding the offside rule as your contribution to this forum.
Where have I excused it? I've stated many times that it is clearly 100% racist.

Bringing that point about the offside goal just shows you come across as somebody that cannot have a discussion with people that don't agree with your POV. I'll contribute wherever I like and not seek your approval :cool:

Adam-Utd

:houllier:

God help us all.
What exactly is the issue you don't understand here? can you hand on heart say you or your friends have never said anything behind closed doors that you would regret?

I'll say it again for the people that cannot read - I am not condoning their actions.

Sir Marcus

What exactly is the issue you don't understand here? can you hand on heart say you or your friends have never said anything behind closed doors that you would regret?

I'll say it again for the people that cannot read - I am not condoning their actions.

Please feck off with the whatabouterry.

These players didn’t say these things behind closed doors anyway (still would be racist if they did) - they said it in a group chat which included black peers…

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Somebody said laughing at overweight people is wrong. Well, it's generally wrong to bully people but isn't it less wrong to laugh at fat people than bald guys?

Good amount of fat people are fat because they chose to be fat. Even if they have 'fat' genes they can be overcome it by diet/training. Bald guys are bald because they have such genes and they can do pretty much nothing about it.

Not that it's serious as racism of course, or that I laugh at fat people but I just find it illogical.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
As bad as this is, the club should make it absolutely clear that the parents of these children (because that's what they are) have ruined their kids careers by filling their head with this absolute shit from a young age, and now they're going to have to pop down to the job centre with them and show them how to fill in the dole form, because no doubt they're experts at that.
Are you suggesting all racists are poor people who haven't got jobs? Cretin, try educating yourself before making stupid blanket statements.

On this news itself though, absolutely shocking, and I doubt any sort of "educational" seminar will help these "kids" really - unfortunately racism is a learned trait, and wherever they've picked it up from they're obviously in agreement with it as they're old enough to know what's right and wrong.

macheda14

Where have I excused it? I've stated many times that it is clearly 100% racist.

Bringing that point about the offside goal just shows you come across as somebody that cannot have a discussion with people that don't agree with your POV. I'll contribute wherever I like and not seek your approval :cool:
You're excusing them of their racism, by saying they themselves may not be 100% racist and equating it with your mates saying things behind closed doors etc. No, currently they are racist, however yes they may grow up and learn to not be racist. It doesn't matter your intentions, but calling for someone to be lynched and using the n-word makes you a 100% unadulterated racist.

And I'll remind you that every single person who read that thread disagreed with you. Sorry disagree is the wrong word as that implies that opinion could come into it. Everyone knew you were wrong, yet even when faced with evidence and 100% of responses arguing against you, you still stuck to your position. Perhaps that implies that you might have an issue with discussion.

caid

Racism is very complex in its forms and its origins. Racism is quite a broad term, we can be speaking about systemic cultural racism, or intimate personal racism. However what racism is, at its very core, is binary. You're either racist or you aren't. If what someone says is a 'little bit racist', or if a society 'isn't as racist as before' its still racist. 1% racist, is racist. It doesn't matter if its just 'some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool' - they have internalised racist rhetoric and are using it in a vicious manner.

Racism is oddly a more difficult issue to understand today compared to the past. Most people with racist tendencies don't believe they're racist. At least in the past racists were racists and proud of it. Now you have people who have biases, they interact differently with PoC, they take issue with anti-racist movements and shroud it in some misunderstanding of marxism, they vote to enact racist policies, they enjoy 'dark humour, but they dont meeean it', they go on forums saying 'well that's not like 100% racist'. Racism and racists are endemic, but harder to qualify, harder to expunge from society. Most racists now, would be horrified by violence against PoC, but my word will they take any opportunity to criticise them for 'asking for too much'. We've ripped down the posters of racism, but now we're trying to scrape of the fecking adhesive, and that takes far far longer.

And come on, don't try and equate racism with bullying. Yes we shouldn't be discriminating people based on their hair colour or their weight (I mean people don't think that's ok anymore look at the body positivity movement). But that's not the same as what these academy kids said. And to think it is is quite laughable.

Not sure thats true at all.
We all have some level of bias. Obviously using the n word in any context or if you're particularly slow in a derogotary manner in a public group then you're clearly distinctly racist. I think part of combating racism requires you to recognise your own, less severe biases and not letting them effect how you treat someone, giving them a chance to prove you wrong basically.
I think i agree with the a lot of the post otherwise. Maybe i would be less critical of the other poster, different behaviour is normalised for different people. He can be wrong without being malicious.

In terms of these players and Portsmouth you'd be suspicious of the environment where they thought they'd get away with that.

Sir Marcus

You're excusing them of their racism, by saying they themselves may not be 100% racist and equating it with your mates saying things behind closed doors etc. No, currently they are racist, however yes they may grow up and learn to not be racist. It doesn't matter your intentions, but calling for someone to be lynched and using the n-word makes you a 100% unadulterated racist.

And I'll remind you that every single person who read that thread disagreed with you. Sorry disagree is the wrong word as that implies that opinion could come into it. Everyone knew you were wrong, yet even when faced with evidence and 100% of responses arguing against you, you still stuck to your position. Perhaps that implies that you might have an issue with discussion.
It really is sad that you needed to explain this but well done for doing so.

chiz2kul

The fact that some on here are giving excuses for the post - "oh we've all said somethings we have regretted" - or some bull, is vile and disgusting. I personally have absolutely zero tolerance for racism of any sort. Zero. You lot should hang your head in shame.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A few posts about not being surprised it’s Portsmouth. Is Portsmouth a racist town? I’ve never been but always saw it as some shitty beach town

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is because they've been empowered by the government - both ours and the US.

It will have 100% made things worse in the younger generations, either directly or indirectly through their parents.
Let's not beat around the bush. The reason we have this government and the US had theirs is because both countries are full of racists. Not the other way round.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
And to the people wondering why the black players didn't flare up. I have been in that situation when I was a lot younger. You just want to get along and not be seen as a trouble maker. That feeling makes you take a lot of shit you should not take.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

This is a great post.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
And to the people wondering why the black players didn't flare up. I have been in that situation when I was a lot younger. You just want to get along and not be seen as a trouble maker. That feeling makes you take a lot of shit you should not take.
It’s mental that the onus should be put on them, the victims. It’s an undercurrent that goes on a lot where victims of racism are both blamed for it, and expected to be the ones who make change happen

Patchbeard

Somebody said laughing at overweight people is wrong. Well, it's generally wrong to bully people but isn't it less wrong to laugh at fat people than bald guys?

Good amount of fat people are fat because they chose to be fat. Even if they have 'fat' genes they can be overcome it by diet/training. Bald guys are bald because they have such genes and they can do pretty much nothing about it.

Not that it's serious as racism of course, or that I laugh at fat people but I just find it illogical.
This is all off topic but I wouldn't say it's less wrong to laugh at fat people than bald people. Reason being that although overweight people 'could' do something about it, the reality is that it's often incredibly difficult due to motivational, mental, and genuine biological constraints. E.g. some people will continue to put on weight even whilst eating a "healthy" diet/portion size that would make someone else lose weight, purely because their body type stores more fat. It's mentally demoralising when people around them eat more, and maybe even exercise less, but don't put on weight like they do. So to then be laughed at for being fat because they 'could' do something when (in my experience) most overweight people are trying would only get them down mentally and most likely make them take a step backwards.

Anyway, off topic, just make sure we are kind to people, because although being 'fat' may not be 100% genetics (like being bald) it's also almost exclusively not a life choice.

Adam-Utd

Please feck off with the whatabouterry.

These players didn’t say these things behind closed doors anyway (still would be racist if they did) - they said it in a group chat which included black peers…
Yet again, I didn't say it wasn't racist. I am 100% agreeing. You clearly didn't read what I was saying.

This snapchat group is a closed group that nobody can access without an invite, it's certainly "behind closed doors". Would they talk like this on twitter? I doubt it.

What I am trying to say is people can say horrible things to be a troll, wind people up or just be mean without genuinely meaning it.

I think a good example is the John Terry incident with Anton Ferdinand. We all know the language he used against him, but his black team mates said he treated them like a brother with no prejudice, and no hint of racism.

Why did he choose to use a racial slur to insult him? Is it just human nature to be as insulting as possible when angry?

This is probably a discussion for another thread anyway.

Conor

Being racist isn't just about beating people or abusing them in the streets, if you're pals with people that are saying horrendous shit about other races, I'd be pretty sure that if you put them in a position where they could exercise some form of power(as a hiring manager in a job, for example), that would shine through. People don't just say these things while feeling the complete opposite way, that makes no sense.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Yet again, I didn't say it wasn't racist. I am 100% agreeing. You clearly didn't read what I was saying.

This snapchat group is a closed group that nobody can access without an invite, it's certainly "behind closed doors". Would they talk like this on twitter? I doubt it.

What I am trying to say is people can say horrible things to be a troll, wind people up or just be mean without genuinely meaning it.

I think a good example is the John Terry incident with Anton Ferdinand. We all know the language he used against him, but his black team mates said he treated them like a brother with no prejudice, and no hint of racism.

Why did he choose to use a racial slur to insult him? Is it just human nature to be as insulting as possible when angry?

This is probably a discussion for another thread anyway.
To use a racial slur is to other and demean someone based on historical oppression usually, the act itself is racist, thus the perpetrators are racist by default