Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

AFC NimbleThumb

There's a difference between some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool, and actually going out looking to beat up/lynch somebody or abuse them for being Black/Asian etc.

Obviously these kids could well be 100% racist and full of hate, we won't know that unless we know them personally.

All I can say is from a similar situation I've had people I know say stupid things but they wouldn't ever look to hurt somebody or abuse them if given an opportunity. It's the same with Bullying in general, why do people think it's OK to discriminate against Red hair? or people overweight etc.

I hope you understand where i'm coming from.
The second you start ‘rating’ discrimination it’s a rather slippy slope. Sticks & stones is what I derive from your comments but words can be inflammatory in themselves. The rather aggressive nature of those messages could easily lead someone to feel comfortable escalating the issue.

As for ‘red hair’ are you equivocating race with hair colour? Someone did this in the General forum last year & it didn’t go well. . .

FatTails

There's a difference between some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool, and actually going out looking to beat up/lynch somebody or abuse them for being Black/Asian etc.

Obviously these kids could well be 100% racist and full of hate, we won't know that unless we know them personally.

All I can say is from a similar situation I've had people I know say stupid things but they wouldn't ever look to hurt somebody or abuse them if given an opportunity. It's the same with Bullying in general, why do people think it's OK to discriminate against Red hair? or people overweight etc.

Yes, I see the difference. One is racist hateful speech, one is racist hateful violence.

Both are racist. Both should be called racist.

Hope this helps. Or should we get more into their intentions, upbringing, shoe size, and history before we call them racists for saying racist things?

Oldyella

So you are saying words shouldn't be considered racist, only actions?

I dunno man, some of my friends have said some stupid shit on WhatsApp etc(not as bad as this, but close to the bone), and you know what, I tend to think there may be a little bit of racism hidden deep down.

fergosaurus

What a bunch of hateful little pricks. Anything less than them being sacked would be a disgrace.

90 + 5min

If true, they can say good bye to the career. You can criticise players all you want but writing like they did is just high level of stupidity.

AFC NimbleThumb

I dunno man, some of my friends have said some stupid shit on WhatsApp etc(not as bad as this, but close to the bone), and you know what, I tend to think there may be a little bit of racism hidden deep down.
Sidebar. . .

On this point. [I assume you’re ‘white’]. Have you challenged these ‘close to the bone’ comments &/or have they changed the way you see these people?

Only asking as I tend to think these comments happen in what people perceive as ‘safe spaces’, not just racial comments btw, misogynistic, sexual etc. can also be an issue.

Oldyella

Sidebar. . .

On this point. [I assume you’re ‘white’]. Have you challenged these ‘close to the bone’ comments &/or have they changed the way you see these people?

Only asking as I tend to think these comments happen in what people perceive as ‘safe spaces’, not just racial comments btw, misogynistic, sexual etc. can also be an issue.
Yeah, I'm as pasty white as it gets.

Challenged in as much as saying "that's a bit out of order", but given these are people I haven't seen for around 18 months now as I'm not local to my friends and lockdown etc, not anymore than that, and I honestly don't think it's something that would be said if we were sat around a table in the pub. It's weird how people think WhatsApp or similar gives people the freedom to crack these kinds of jokes.

And yeah, it's definitely changed how I perceived them. Friends still? Yeah, but with way less leeway on what is a joke and what isn't.

Jam

Shocking stuff, they should be immediately released from the club and black listed across the FA.

Not fit to wear a shirt representing anyone.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Let's not beat around the bush. The reason we have this government and the US had theirs is because both countries are full of racists. Not the other way round.
Certainly contributed to it, especially in the US. But the fact they've got in to power has definitely empowered a certain kind of person.

Sir Marcus

Yet again, I didn't say it wasn't racist. I am 100% agreeing. You clearly didn't read what I was saying.

This snapchat group is a closed group that nobody can access without an invite, it's certainly "behind closed doors". Would they talk like this on twitter? I doubt it.

What I am trying to say is people can say horrible things to be a troll, wind people up or just be mean without genuinely meaning it.

I think a good example is the John Terry incident with Anton Ferdinand. We all know the language he used against him, but his black team mates said he treated them like a brother with no prejudice, and no hint of racism.

Why did he choose to use a racial slur to insult him? Is it just human nature to be as insulting as possible when angry?

This is probably a discussion for another thread anyway.
Yes it was on Snapchat, with black colleagues in the group.

JohnTerry?!

You seem to be under the impression that not racially insulting 100 black colleagues somehow makes up for the 1 that you do racially abuse..? It doesn’t work like that.

You don’t have to fully believe that other races are inferior, nor do you have to have an intent to physically hurt other races to be ‘racist’. Nor do you have to post racist things publicly on Twitter. The act/evidence from the OP is more than enough by most standards and even attempting to suggest otherwise at this time seems particularly odd.

SAFMUTD

If true they can say goodbye to their football careers, specially being kids from a low team.

RedTiger

Half mast
If true, they can say good bye to the career. You can criticise players all you want but writing like they did is just high level of stupidity.
I think Portsmouth might wash their hands of them but I can see them still having a career in the game. Let's remember that Lee Bowyer and Jonathon Woodgate were done for actual racist violence but they still played prem football, national team football and both are managers now.

TsuWave

Racism is very complex in its forms and its origins. Racism is quite a broad term, we can be speaking about systemic cultural racism, or intimate personal racism. However what racism is, at its very core, is binary. You're either racist or you aren't. If what someone says is a 'little bit racist', or if a society 'isn't as racist as before' its still racist. 1% racist, is racist. It doesn't matter if its just 'some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool' - they have internalised racist rhetoric and are using it in a vicious manner.

Racism is oddly a more difficult issue to understand today compared to the past. Most people with racist tendencies don't believe they're racist. At least in the past racists were racists and proud of it. Now you have people who have biases, they interact differently with PoC, they take issue with anti-racist movements and shroud it in some misunderstanding of marxism, they vote to enact racist policies, they enjoy 'dark humour, but they dont meeean it', they go on forums saying 'well that's not like 100% racist'. Racism and racists are endemic, but harder to qualify, harder to expunge from society. Most racists now, would be horrified by violence against PoC, but my word will they take any opportunity to criticise them for 'asking for too much'. We've ripped down the posters of racism, but now we're trying to scrape of the fecking adhesive, and that takes far far longer.

And come on, don't try and equate racism with bullying. Yes we shouldn't be discriminating people based on their hair colour or their weight (I mean people don't think that's ok anymore look at the body positivity movement). But that's not the same as what these academy kids said. And to think it is is quite laughable.

I have some small advice for you, no matter how great or small you think a racist act is, maybe don't try and excuse it. It isn't a good look. I'd perhaps just keep to not understanding the offside rule as your contribution to this forum.
Facts.

RedChip

I get your point but these are not that young and their actions are not some mild insults with racist connotations; it is vile stuff. They are old enough to understand what they have done is racist, especially as racisim within football couldn't be more high profile. There is no excuse.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I get your point but these are not that young and their actions are not some mild insults with racist connotations; it is vile stuff. They are old enough to understand what they have done is racist, especially as racisim within football couldn't be more high profile. There is no excuse.
Oh 100% and i'm not trying to excuse it, they deserve everything they get coming to them.

It just ceases to amaze me that they think they can say stuff like this and get away with it? even if they 'dont mean it' which naturally their PR supported statements will soon be saying.

It's bad enough thinking it's a group of lads trying to out banter each other, but then you realise there's 2 black lads in their squad as well, IN the chat?! it's mind boggling.

red4ever 79

I don't understand what they're actually talking about. Do young people not talk in sentences any more?

I'm reading it as though they're speculating on what the social media reaction will be to it, rather than their own opinions.

But like I said, i can't understand and I'm probably wrong.
Same for me. Either we are getting old or the younger generation getting more stupid. Also @Damien , what does doxxing mean?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
These two things can simultaneously be true:

1. There a lot less people (including younger people) who are racist now than there was in the past.

2. Lots of people are racist
They can be true but the question are they really both true? What is true is that racism is certainly less acceptable in mainstream public forums, both in person, like workplaces, and on large online forums like Redcafe. But is the number of racists really dwindling or are they simply quiet about on public forums but then release their true views when they believe they are among like-minded people? I think the latter might be true. I've certainly seen it. Someone from my high school was a massive racist back then. He is currently a California Highway Patrol officer (Don't worry @Skizzo, he is down in the San Diego area). Has he grown less racist? Not from what I saw his friends posting on Facebook several years ago, but his language has changed to become more 'politically correct', something he and his ilk bitch about a lot.

I think there are more incidents of microaggressions now that conceal racist attitudes to a degree. I remember walking into a small-town diner with a mixed-race group (black, Asian, Hispanic), and the looks we got certainly implied there were racist thoughts if not overt comments. So its tough to really say if there are actually less racist people or they are just more undercover. Heck, looking at video game forums certainly suggests the youngest millennials and Gen Z are not noticeably less racist than Baby Boomers.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Same for me. Either we are getting old or the younger generation getting more stupid. Also @Damien , what does doxxing mean?
Doxxing is revealing someone's personal identity and information online.

For instance "onenil is actually John Doe who lives at 1235 A Street and works at Redcafe.com."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't understand what they're actually talking about. Do young people not talk in sentences any more?

I'm reading it as though they're speculating on what the social media reaction will be to it, rather than their own opinions.

But like I said, i can't understand and I'm probably wrong.
That’s definitely possible.

RedChip

Is Portsmouth a racist town?
Yes. I live between Southampton and Portsmouth and between the two, Portsmouth is easily the less diverse, more illiberal and intolerant. Being a naval base doesn't help.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
There's no or..

Yes. I live between Southampton and Portsmouth and between the two, Portsmouth is easily the less diverse, more illiberal and intolerant. Being a naval base doesn't help.
Portsmouth is the worst out of the two.

But Southampton has it's problems just like anywhere else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Horrible little cnuts. For some reason it doesn’t surprise me with Portsmouth, that part of the country has to be one of the most middle England white shitholes around

A few posts about not being surprised it’s Portsmouth. Is Portsmouth a racist town? I’ve never been but always saw it as some shitty beach town
Some strange comments, and generalisations floating about.

If it was the BNP traditional stomping grounds like some of the north towns you could see it, but not some sleepy Hampshire town.
It's just a sign that this sort of underground thinking is everywhere right now. Probably always has been, but things make the news a lot easier now with instant sharing of stuff.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
why is sancho considered black? for example. I always considered black to be players like Pogba, kante, Baloteli, but not someone like Dani Alves. Cristiano tries hard to get that tan, sancho has it all natural.
... This wasn't a serious post, was it?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I read this in his voice & found it far more funny than I should have.

As for Portsmouth, I hope they go bankrupt.
You want a football club to go bankrupt because a few idiots in their youth team are posting nonsense?
That's a bit stupid. No disrespect.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Reminds me of the stream chat I got for France vs Switzerland. Same tenor, though there it was an escalation from why are there so many foreigners on the pitch. Starting with correct grammar and spelling, no slurs. Tickled me a bit when I realised the Swiss team had more foreign-born than the French, but of course by that time they had already moved on to the integrity of non-black* competitions.
*expressed like you'd imagine, spelling out of the window, slurs everywhere

Was racial lynching a common thing in England? Not just the act, but the term itself?

Last edited:

RedChip

If it was the BNP traditional stomping grounds like some of the north towns you could see it, but not some sleepy Hampshire town.
It's just a sign that this sort of underground thinking is everywhere right now. Probably always has been, but things make the news a lot easier now with instant sharing of stuff.
But Portsmouth isn't a sleepy Hampshire town. It is one of the most deprived cities in the UK.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
But Portsmouth isn't a sleepy Hampshire town. It is one of the most deprived cities in the UK.
Interested by your opinion on that, so I had a little scroll around google.
I can't find anything that remotely has Portsmouth anywhere near the top of such scales.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Genuine question: Have you ever been to Portsmouth?

FreddieTheReddie

Racism is very complex in its forms and its origins. Racism is quite a broad term, we can be speaking about systemic cultural racism, or intimate personal racism. However what racism is, at its very core, is binary. You're either racist or you aren't. If what someone says is a 'little bit racist', or if a society 'isn't as racist as before' its still racist. 1% racist, is racist. It doesn't matter if its just 'some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool' - they have internalised racist rhetoric and are using it in a vicious manner.

Racism is oddly a more difficult issue to understand today compared to the past. Most people with racist tendencies don't believe they're racist. At least in the past racists were racists and proud of it. Now you have people who have biases, they interact differently with PoC, they take issue with anti-racist movements and shroud it in some misunderstanding of marxism, they vote to enact racist policies, they enjoy 'dark humour, but they dont meeean it', they go on forums saying 'well that's not like 100% racist'. Racism and racists are endemic, but harder to qualify, harder to expunge from society. Most racists now, would be horrified by violence against PoC, but my word will they take any opportunity to criticise them for 'asking for too much'. We've ripped down the posters of racism, but now we're trying to scrape of the fecking adhesive, and that takes far far longer.

And come on, don't try and equate racism with bullying. Yes we shouldn't be discriminating people based on their hair colour or their weight (I mean people don't think that's ok anymore look at the body positivity movement). But that's not the same as what these academy kids said. And to think it is is quite laughable.

I have some small advice for you, no matter how great or small you think a racist act is, maybe don't try and excuse it. It isn't a good look. I'd perhaps just keep to not understanding the offside rule as your contribution to this forum.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Of course there are different levels of racism. Just like sexism. One guy tells a mean joke about women’s driving skills, the other one rapes women. Are they equally sexist?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"3 black men emojis"
"feck the n*****s absolute cnuts"
"3 monkey emojis"

What is this Snapchat chat really about?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

A few corrections. Most racists pretend to be horified by violence against minorities, they pretend to not know that they are racist, they pretend to not be racist when they aren't in their personal circles. They essentially learned how to be racist in a society that widely doesn't appreciate racism.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"3 black men emojis"
"feck the n*****s absolute cnuts"
"3 monkey emojis"

What is this Snapchat chat really about?
Ah. I didn’t see the whole thing. Didn’t click on tweet in OP so didn’t see any messages after “death threats incoming”. Still blows my mind that anyone could say this in a racially mixed group chat. Which included black team mates they’re going to see the next day. So fecking weird.