Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

RedChip

Interested by your opinion on that, so I had a little scroll around google.
I can't find anything that remotely has Portsmouth anywhere near the top of such scales.
Maybe not near the top but both Portsmouth and Southampton are certainly much more deprived than the rest of Hampshire. I have not seen more recent data, but both were in the top 20% most deprived local authority areas (based upon the multiple deprivation index) back in 2010 when I last used the data.

Carolina Red

Staff
There's a difference between some young immature kids mouthing off trying to look cool, and actually going out looking to beat up/lynch somebody or abuse them for being Black/Asian etc.

Obviously these kids could well be 100% racist and full of hate, we won't know that unless we know them personally.

All I can say is from a similar situation I've had people I know say stupid things but they wouldn't ever look to hurt somebody or abuse them if given an opportunity. It's the same with Bullying in general, why do people think it's OK to discriminate against Red hair? or people overweight etc.

I hope you understand where i'm coming from.
Their comments wouldn’t be out of place in a backwoods South Carolina Klan gathering.

I hope you understand where I’m coming from.

Iron

Quality control - Banned
:lol: that's basically racism in a nutshell and you still don't get it
what is racist about what i said? asking why mix race is considered black, or just talking about race. I am sorry but the media, especially american media does promote a lot the word black. Saying that a black guy is black is racist? I always thought that it must be malicious harm intent behind the words. Many identify or call mixed as such and not black.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
what is racist about what i said? asking why mix race is considered black, or just talking about race. I am sorry but the media, especially american media does promote a lot the word black. Saying that a black guy is black is racist? I always thought that it must be malicious harm intent behind the words. Many identify or call mixed as such and not black.
You should maybe have not used the word tan.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No it's not, that's not where I was going with the question either. I just wanted to know if you knew the place.

It's certainly not deprived in terms of any list either.
I've been down there quite a few times over the years yes.
Certainly enough to realise it's nowhere on the scale of areas of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You've equated someone's natural skin tone with someone getting a tan :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Their comments wouldn’t be out of place in a backwoods South Carolina Klan gathering.

I hope you understand where I’m coming from.
As I said many times previously I don't condone their words at all.

macheda14

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Of course there are different levels of racism. Just like sexism. One guy tells a mean joke about women’s driving skills, the other one rapes women. Are they equally sexist?
Are the equally sexist? No. Are they both sexist. Yes. My point goes against people saying 'oh, he's not really sexist he just makes mean spirited jokes about women'. No he is really a sexist. 1% or 100% sexist, you're still a sexist. It isn't like juice.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
My point being: they’re racists.

I don’t care that they’re teenagers. I teach teenagers in South Carolina. They can be just as racist as the adults.
That should go without saying, you don't somehow turn racist at 18 or 21.

Carolina Red

Staff
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Of course there are different levels of racism. Just like sexism. One guy tells a mean joke about women’s driving skills, the other one rapes women. Are they equally sexist?
Did… did you just pull out some Star Wars philosophy in a thread about real world racism being seen?

FatTails

Sidebar. . .

On this point. [I assume you’re ‘white’]. Have you challenged these ‘close to the bone’ comments &/or have they changed the way you see these people?

Only asking as I tend to think these comments happen in what people perceive as ‘safe spaces’, not just racial comments btw, misogynistic, sexual etc. can also be an issue.

Yeah, I'm as pasty white as it gets.

Challenged in as much as saying "that's a bit out of order", but given these are people I haven't seen for around 18 months now as I'm not local to my friends and lockdown etc, not anymore than that, and I honestly don't think it's something that would be said if we were sat around a table in the pub. It's weird how people think WhatsApp or similar gives people the freedom to crack these kinds of jokes.

And yeah, it's definitely changed how I perceived them. Friends still? Yeah, but with way less leeway on what is a joke and what isn't.

I called out several of my friends on misogynistic crap they spout (I’m a male). Invariably they’re defensive but I’ve noticed they stopped using that kind of language.

Mind you, this can mean one of two things. They either were convinced and changed, or more likely (sadly), they just don’t say that stuff when I am around. If it is the latter, I’m not really sure if there was a point? I don’t know.

JPRouve

Scout
You would think
I should add that instead of giving them a pass because they are young, people should take it seriously because at their age there is still hope to reshape their minds.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
There is a lot of work to do, whether people are clueless by default or genuinely evil
I think he may have originally started off asking "why are mixed race people called black", as in, Obama is half Kenyan, half white, so why is he called the first black president? The answer being the "one drop of blood" rule.

Where he lost everyone was the tan comment, but the original half of the question, for someone who is ignorant of the civil rights struggles, does have some validity.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think he may have originally started off asking "why are mixed race people called black", as in, Obama is half Kenyan, half white, so why is he called the first black president? The answer being the "one drop of blood" rule.

Where he lost everyone was the tan comment, but the original half of the question, for someone who is ignorant of the civil rights struggles, does have some validity.
Extreme cluelessness like that makes me suspect tbh. Like people try to genuinely ask a question with ulterior motives.

JPRouve

Scout
Regarding mixed people being considered black, my experience is that it's generally the case. Rarely have anyone considered me mixed until they see my mother.

Peter van der Gea

Extreme cluelessness like that makes me suspect tbh. Like people try to genuinely ask a question with ulterior motives.
I like to draw out those motives for everyone to see. Always call out a racist, they'll make themselves look stupid.

FreddieTheReddie

Are the equally sexist? No. Are they both sexist. Yes. My point goes against people saying 'oh, he's not really sexist he just makes mean spirited jokes about women'. No he is really a sexist. 1% or 100% sexist, you're still a sexist. It isn't like juice.
I don’t think this will help our case. Labeling everyone racist who ever said something questionable will make them less sympathetic. It won’t educate them. They will feel angry they will think you are unfair and even if they had good intentions they won’t be able to help you if alienate them.

Peter van der Gea

I don’t think this will help our case. Labeling everyone racist who ever said something questionable will make them less sympathetic. It won’t educate them. They will feel angry they will think you are unfair and even if they had good intentions they won’t be able to help you if alienate them.
They do it once, get called out, realize their perceptions were wrong and change their way of thinking. Or we could ignore it and allow them to carry on thinking that way.

Most people don't want to be bad people.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
In 2021, I defo agree with you
Indeed. No way was he just merely asking an innocent question there.

Or...they could instead take the less ignorant route and realise what they were being WAS racist and then attempt to genuinely change themselves as they now know it's wrong?

I mean if you make a mistake, but then push back on it, you surely are now willfully not accepting responsibility?

AFC NimbleThumb

Yeah, I'm as pasty white as it gets.

Challenged in as much as saying "that's a bit out of order", but given these are people I haven't seen for around 18 months now as I'm not local to my friends and lockdown etc, not anymore than that, and I honestly don't think it's something that would be said if we were sat around a table in the pub. It's weird how people think WhatsApp or similar gives people the freedom to crack these kinds of jokes.

And yeah, it's definitely changed how I perceived them. Friends still? Yeah, but with way less leeway on what is a joke and what isn't.
I get you, it’s a difficult one because ‘people with biases’ aren’t always simply ‘bad people’, they can have a multitude of good characteristics but blind spots to things.

I called out several of my friends on misogynistic crap they spout (I’m a male). Invariably they’re defensive but I’ve noticed they stopped using that kind of language.

Mind you, this can mean one of two things. They either were convinced and changed, or more likely (sadly), they just don’t say that stuff when I am around. If it is the latter, I’m not really sure if there was a point? I don’t know.
I believe most friendship groups would shatter if people were truly held accountable by their mates.

I’ve had to tell a few lads that have sent pictures/made comments in the past that it isn’t clever. I too suspect they just don’t send the images/make the comments to me anymore, not that they’ve changed intrinsically.

You want a football club to go bankrupt because a few idiots in their youth team are posting nonsense?
That's a bit stupid. No disrespect.
This was taken with the exact amount of disrespect intended, you shouldn’t caveat your thoughts.

I want an institution to go bankrupt that incubated [to whatever extent] this behaviour.

I’ve already gone at the ‘few idiots’, ‘few bad apples’ tag line in other threads but simply put, parts of that club [including but not exclusively a club whatsapp group] are a ‘safe space’ for these individuals - so yes, bankruptcy is a kindness.

Give the benefit of the doubt to the club by all means but young minds are generally shaped [in part] by the adults around them & I’d suspect they spend a lot of their time around adults at the club.

I find most people blaming ‘a few idiots’ in these instances don’t generally get the gravitas of racism. No disrespect, of course.

FreddieTheReddie

They do it once, get called out, realize their perceptions were wrong and change their way of thinking. Or we could ignore it and allow them to carry on thinking that way.

Most people don't want to be bad people.
Sounds logical but many people don’t work this way. They don’t want to feel guilty. When you make them feel guilty they get angry instead and don’t wnt to listen to you. Maybe it would be advisable to be a litte more forgiving. That would win you more supporters. Maybe you were born in a perfect place to a perfect family who never had any stereotypes but most of the people still grow up surrounded by stereotypes. And it takes years to make the understand and realize their own mistakes. If you want to educate them maybe you shouldn’t call them racist straightaway.

JPRouve

Scout
Sounds logical but many people don’t work this way. They don’t want to feel guilty. When you make them feel guilty they get angry instead and don’t wnt to listen to you. Maybe it would be advisable to be a litte more forgiving. That would win you more supporters. Maybe you were born in a perfect place to a perfect family who never had any stereotypes but most of the people still grow up surrounded by stereotypes. And it takes years to make the understand and realize their own mistakes. If you want to educate them maybe you shouldn’t call them racist straightaway.
How do you make someone understand their mistake, if you don't name the mistake and just forgive that unnamed mistake? What you are suggesting is enabling poor behaviour.

Peter van der Gea

We tell my 7 year old her "behaviour is stubborn", not she "is stubborn". You can call out a racist remark by calling it what it is, a racist remark. That's not calling someone racist. It's like here, criticize the post, not the poster

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I should add that instead of giving them a pass because they are young, people should take it seriously because at their age there is still hope to reshape their minds.
I'd argue at any age that is possible, but definitely for these kids.

All this talk of careers being over and clubs suffering doesn't sit well with me. However, that doesn't mean that I don't think the whole system there shouldn't be scrutinised and that these kids shouldn't be made to understand what they've done by explaining exactly what they are and how to change.

What's your answer then?

FreddieTheReddie

How do you make someone understand their mistake, if you don't name the mistake and just forgive that unnamed mistake? What you are suggesting is enabling poor behaviour.
You can name it just be nice and understanding. ‘I get what you mean but using that word is not correct.’ Just don’t call everyone racist. Many people have good intention but bad upbringing.

FreddieTheReddie

We tell my 7 year old her "behaviour is stubborn", not she "is stubborn". You can call out a racist remark by calling it what it is, a racist remark. That's not calling someone racist. It's like here, criticize the post, not the poster
That’s very good, exactly what I meant. It’s crucial to stay friendly. And that was my fifth post for today, goodnight.

caid

I'd argue at any age that is possible, but definitely for these kids.

All this talk of careers being over and clubs suffering doesn't sit well with me
. However, that doesn't mean that I don't think the whole system there shouldn't be scrutinised and that these kids shouldn't be made to understand what they've done by explaining exactly what they are and how to change.

What's your answer then?
Thought the same briefly but i dont think the black players at the club should have to deal with them further. Education to understand how intolerable their actions were and move them on elsewhere, they'd be on thin ice but could recover their reputation.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yes, I see the difference. One is racist hateful speech, one is racist hateful violence.

Both are racist. Both should be called racist.

Hope this helps. Or should we get more into their intentions, upbringing, shoe size, and history before we call them racists for saying racist things?
I don’t know. I posted the below in a different thread, then deleted as it went waaaay off topic.

=====

There’s a weird thing at work in some of these private places. ‘Safe’ spaces can exist online and in real life.

It’s awful and weird to say, but in a small and socially accepting circle, racial jokes can be funny. Racist jokes are not.

A few years back I got my hair cut in Deptford, South East London. Walked in, sat down. 10 people rolled in after me, got a trim and left. I eventually found my voice and grumbled. “Mans found a voice now” “Mans chirping up” “White boy thinks he should go next”. The atmosphere was cool, as long as I was. When I got in the chair, the cut was good but good lord the neck finish was pain. Immediately “White boy skin tearing up. He’s bleeding. He’s crying. Look at him”.

That whole scene is tinged in race, but it wasn’t oppressive and it wasn’t mean. We had a solid time and I went back a few times until I moved. All visits from then on were just normal.

If you move that whole thing, thematically, online…. Trouble. I think there’s a whole world that I don’t understand as an older millennial. There are generations of people that see no difference between Snapchat and the Pub.

I’m sure as Fcuk not condoning the behaviour. But I am willing to try and understand how young people speak to each other in these places they probably deem ‘safe’. Lots of the language in these screenshots is abhorrent. But lots of it is just how people talk in social circles. It can read as disgusting but it is a little problematic to just tar and feather all involved.

Edit : Obviously using the Portsmouth screenshots as my example.

TL/DR - Not all Racial content is racist. People don’t moderate beliefs. I think sometimes it’s just the equivalent of not swearing around your parents. Or not using slang in a workplace. It’s moderation of your voice as much as anything else. It’s a really nuanced problem and we should acknowledge that as a bare minimum.