Portsmouth youth players allegedly racially abuse England players in group chat

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Oh I read them. I just thought they were incredibly dumb and unnecessary.

You're suggesting sportspeople should grin and bear racial abuse because politics "shouldn't be involved in sport".

Anything can be labelled political if someone wants to be a dickhead about it enough. The whole idea of no politics in sport is to protect sport and competition from government interference and corruption. Not to protect racists and bigots.

It's sad that so many people are still frantically grasping for anything and everything they can find to excuse racism. What would you gain personally from footballers stopping taking the knee? What is it about those players choosing to take a stand that hurts your enjoyment of the game?
Do you have a bad day or are you generally just so frustrated? Either way, I'd prefer if you answer that you show some basics of politeness and respect!

For me it's simple; sport is one of the few things in this world where you don't have to bother about politics and that toxic climate which has eaten itself into all of society. Sport is pure and Sport is fair. Everyone can do it, despite skin colour, religion, sexual orientation and so on. No one gets discriminated, only your performance is what counts. If you work hard and and become good eventually, you have a chance to win, if you are bad you will be at the end.
That and nothing more (should) matter(s) in sport!

mu4c_20le

Please see below!

And human rights falls under which category? Exactly, politics!
Human rights is human rights. If you don't like or agree with something, you can label anything politics to dismiss it. In fact, what you are doing right now is definitely political in itself

diarm

Do you have a bad day or are you generally just so frustrated? Either way, I'd prefer if you answer that you show some basics of politeness and respect!

For me it's simple; sport is one of the few things in this world where you don't have to bother about politics and that toxic climate which has eaten itself into all of society. Sport is pure and Sport is fair. Everyone can do it, despite skin colour, religion, sexual orientation and so on. No one gets discriminated, only your performance is what counts. If you work hard and and become good eventually, you have a chance to win, if you are bad you will be at the end.
Not having a bad day at all. Reading your nonsense had been easily the worst thing about it so far.

I struggle to be polite and respectful with people who advocate for maintaining an environment that protects racists.

Sport isn't pure and it isn't fair. Not when people involved in sport in 2021 are being abused for the colour of their skin and people like you are happy to ignore it or criticise any efforts for change.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
I’d say it’s more about common decency and humanity to treat people on their character and not on the colour of their skin.
The politics around it arose out of racist policy. For sure racism and it’s tackling of it needed political involvement but in essence it should be about not judging or pre judging people based on skin colour
I didn't answer to you directly but see 281. I think you can build your life in that way, that you don't need to have politics in sport due you create no room in your daily life for racism.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Not having a bad day at all. Reading your nonsense had been easily the worst thing about it so far.

I struggle to be polite and respectful with people who advocate for maintaining an environment that protects racists.

Sport isn't pure and it isn't fair. Not when people involved in sport in 2021 are being abused for the colour of their skin and people like you are happy to ignore it or criticise any efforts for change.
Honestly your level is a bit to low for me.
Enjoy your day!

Conor

So what do you propose should happen when there is racism prevalent in your glorious sporting utopia, it should just be ignored?

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

Erm, what?

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Posts that downplay, deride or seem otherwise dismissive of issues such as racism, disability and other sensitive and serious issues are not allowed.
Human rights is human rights. If you don't like or agree with something, you can label anything politics to dismiss it. In fact, what you are doing right now is definitely political in itself
I'm actually not dismissing anything, what I say is that I don't want politics involved with sports. Let's say a match with half and extra time is about 2 hours, a day has 24 hours. Why not use the other 22 hours for politics and whatever and leave sport alone.

In fact you are right that what I do is also politic in a way and I'm personally not fond of it, because the climate is so toxic that for most of the people, it's hard to understand that an argument is about exchanging opinions and growing your own horizon.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
So what do you propose should happen when there is racism prevalent in your glorious sporting utopia, it should just be ignored?
What about protecting the sport and take the racists out of it?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

You realise that literally all of that depends on political support for that viewpoint?

diarm

The argument is basically: "I have to listen to people advocating for basic human rights all day. I'd prefer the 2 hours I spend watching my entertainment of choice to be free of anyone advocating for basic human rights, even if that means the people providing me with that entertainment are being denied basic human rights".

That is the level of human being we are dealing with. He even has the audacity to be smug about it.

Red Comet

I'm actually not dismissing anything, what I say is that I don't want politics involved with sports. Let's say a match with half and extra time is about 2 hours, a day has 24 hours. Why not use the other 22 hours for politics and whatever and leave sport alone.
You know, if sportsmen gets judged by the merits of their performance and not by the color of their skin, sexual orientation or whatever, just like exactly what you said, then maybe people don't have to be so vocal about it?

Instead, because racist and other sorts of discriminating viewpoints are creeping into sports, it's only right that people involved in the sports itself, and that involves spectators of the sport, to push back against anything that threatens the fairness and our enjoyment of the game.

Ananke

In fact you are right that what I do is also politic in a way and I'm personally not fond of it, because the climate is so toxic that for most of the people, it's hard to understand that an argument is about exchanging opinions and growing your own horizon.
You either have a very naive view on this, or you’re just baiting. Not sure which is worse.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
You realise that literally all of that depends on political support for that viewpoint?
If you mean by political support, that politics stay out of it then you are right. Otherwise doubtful.

Think about that way: If someone shots a goal, it doesn't matter if he is Spanish, English, Chinese or Nigerian, the goal counts always the same. Same goes for it if a Hindu, Christian or Muslim scores. Sport by itself doesn't care and that is what is in my opinion the most important to keep.

mu4c_20le

I assume you feel antiracism is a western / leftist thing. And sometimes perhaps it can be. But the players are not taking a knee to end the Cuba embargo, or putting pressure on israel to treat the Palestinians better. Racism is not just a societal issue, it also directly affects the players. So I don't really think it's political in the sense that it doesn't belong in the game. Kick it Out has been part of the sport since I was a kid.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
I assume you feel antiracism is a western / leftist thing. And sometimes perhaps it can be. But the players are not taking a knee to end the Cuba embargo, or putting pressure on israel to treat the Palestinians better. Racism is not just a societal issue, it also directly affects the players. So I don't really think it's political in the sense that it doesn't belong in the game. Kick it Out has been part of the sport since I was a kid.
I see your point here and I can also understand why you think it belongs to the game. I still think it shouldn't, due to the reasons I mentioned before.
Anyway, nice to see that there are still people on the internet who can actually speak normally. :)

Last but not least my solution for that group chat boys. I actually missed how old they are but I assume in their mid teams. When I was younger I did a lot of BS too, so I wouldn't punish them by destroying their career/dream. I believe like 150 - 200 social work with black kids would teach them a good lesson and also let them be see the people who are actually behind word!

Daniel_de_Foe

Supports
Member of the BLPA
If you mean by political support, that politics stay out of it then you are right. Otherwise doubtful.

Think about that way: If someone shots a goal, it doesn't matter if he is Spanish, English, Chinese or Nigerian, the goal counts always the same. Same goes for it if a Hindu, Christian or Muslim scores. Sport by itself doesn't care and that is what is in my opinion the most important to keep.

If you change “sport” to “the ball” than I can get behind this. But as mentioned above it’s like a gun, deponed in the ground for all eternity will never ever kill a person. I you got actual people playing the sport, politics are involved.

There has never been a “pure sport”. In antique Olympia even during the Olympic Games the Greek cities teased each other by displaying captioned weapons and shields they got when fighting on the battlefield. There is a lot of archaeological evidence for this kind of stuff.

Sport, and football in particular, has always been a substitute for actual fighting. War and politics it’s like Clausewitz, but upside down.

____

What a bunch of idiots. Do they get proper education at these youth camps?

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I see your point here and I can also understand why you think it belongs to the game. I still think it shouldn't, due to the reasons I mentioned before.
Anyway, nice to see that there are still people on the internet who can actually speak normally. :)

Last but not least my solution for that group chat boys. I actually missed how old they are but I assume in their mid teams. When I was younger I did a lot of BS too, so I wouldn't punish them by destroying their career/dream. I believe like 150 - 200 social work with black kids would teach them a good lesson and also let them be see the people who are actually behind word!
The kneeling doesn't happen during the game, it happens before it, so your precious 2 hours are safe.

If you're really worried about accidentally supporting an anti racist movement, start watching games 2/3 minutes in. But don't tell them not to do it, cos that would be political and you don't like that, right?

As for the boys in that group chat, well, they weren't playing football at the time, so they aren't excused to save your 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure that they committed a hate crime and as they are over the age of 10 they have criminal responsibility for their actions. Now, if a football club, or any other employees wants to hire them after that, that's their choice, but in the UK they don't get to pretend it didn't happen just because they are teenagers.

They already play with at least one black kid, he's the one who released the conversation, so doing community service with black kids is unlikely to change his views, and in any case, Portsmouth isn't a provincial town, it's a city, with a diverse population. He will have seen black and Asian people his whole life.

In fact, if he's getting abuse online now, that's probably the fairest thing to happen to him, in the old testament sense. He's now being seen by just one facet of him, his racism, just like people of colour are seen by one facet, their race.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Think of it this way. If you don't have a system supportive of that then your Chinese or Nigerian might not be on that pitch and might instead be getting spat on in the crowd.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's always interesting when people try to make a point against kneeling or any social movement in sport, they make it a matter of principle as if it was righteous to brush aside a topic like racism in sport in favour of 10 seconds of their precious time. The fact that people don't realize that they essentially value exposing racism below those 10 seconds is amazing.

Ananke

It's always interesting when people try to make a point against kneeling or any social movement in sport, they make it a matter of principle as if it was righteous to brush aside a topic like racism in sport in favour of 10 seconds of their precious time. The fact that people don't realize that they essentially value exposing racism below those 10 seconds is amazing.
Yeh but, it's not gonna solve racism is it...
^ the classic, simpleton response ^

AFC NimbleThumb

Footballers are genuinely the dumbest folks around though, is this shocking? They skip an education and live with a locker room-mentality from they’re 12 to 35. It’s like prison camp without the library, these guys are really not the average of society.
The level of disdain people who claim to like the sports have for its participants will always leave me speechless. ‘genuinely the dumbest’ is one hell of a generalisation.

AFC NimbleThumb

The argument is basically: "I have to listen to people advocating for basic human rights all day. I'd prefer the 2 hours I spend watching my entertainment of choice to be free of anyone advocating for basic human rights, even if that means the people providing me with that entertainment are being denied basic human rights".

That is the level of human being we are dealing with. He even has the audacity to be smug about it.
He doesn’t seem to understand he can turn off his tv &/or find entertainment he’d find more suitable on another channel.

No one is being ‘forced’ to watch players kneel, if you don’t like it in the sport their are plenty of countries that don’t do it & other sports to watch.

big rons sovereign

He doesn’t seem to understand he can turn off his tv &/or find entertainment he’d find more suitable on another channel.

No one is being ‘forced’ to watch players kneel, if you don’t like it in the sport their are plenty of countries that don’t do it & other sports to watch.
It's barely even 10 seconds of time before a game. Look away for a moment and it's done.

AFC NimbleThumb

This is not a real post surely.
The kneeling doesn't happen during the game, it happens before it, so your precious 2 hours are safe.

If you're really worried about accidentally supporting an anti racist movement, start watching games 2/3 minutes in. But don't tell them not to do it, cos that would be political and you don't like that, right?

As for the boys in that group chat, well, they weren't playing football at the time, so they aren't excused to save your 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure that they committed a hate crime and as they are over the age of 10 they have criminal responsibility for their actions. Now, if a football club, or any other employees wants to hire them after that, that's their choice, but in the UK they don't get to pretend it didn't happen just because they are teenagers.

They already play with at least one black kid, he's the one who released the conversation, so doing community service with black kids is unlikely to change his views, and in any case, Portsmouth isn't a provincial town, it's a city, with a diverse population. He will have seen black and Asian people his whole life.

In fact, if he's getting abuse online now, that's probably the fairest thing to happen to him, in the old testament sense. He's now being seen by just one facet of him, his racism, just like people of colour are seen by one facet, their race.
Great post.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This is going to be one long investigation isn't it, wouldn't be surprised if they never get to back to the public and just hope everyone forgets.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Kneeling for ten seconds before the game starts is bringing toxicity and politics into the game according to some and ruinning their entertainment.
Give me strength.

Ludens the Red

Just so we’re clear here. The guy who is preaching about keeping politics out of football is the same guy who posted the following.

What I find so scary in Wembley is that these were "normal" guys punching the Italy supporters. Like the guys from the store next door. It actually shows a deep frustration within the English society and also that the inhibition threshold (hope that's the correct term) is very low.

England has already big social-society issues which is one of the causes of these misbehaviour of unfortunately not a few. The government and the FA should address these issues and should apologize publicly.
So basically players shouldn’t take the knee to raise awareness of racism in football because it’s political but the English football association should address English societal issues and apologise publicly for them.

Make up your mind…..

RC89

What a naive point. Everyone can do it despite skin colour? Keep your head in the sand like the rest of the enablers. Go speak to the promising South Asian footballers who regularly outperformed their teammates and yet are overlooked. Black people are 'accepted' now and can make a career for themselves, was it so in the 80s? It's people like you that the racists and bigots get away with it. 'sport is pure, sport is fair' give it a rest you Disney Princess. No prizes for guessing your skin colour. What an absolute privileged take on it.

RC89

What an incredibly well put post. Take a bow sir. I wonder how he'll respond... Probably some waffle again that would be better suited to the script of a children's show.