g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Positives for the coming season - things to look for.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
1. Let’s hope it lasts more than a month and a half before injuries kill our season.
2. If, if, if. Have we signed Yedder? Most likely it will be Rashford.
3. If, if, if. We haven’t signed any CBs yet, but we did give an extension to Phil Jones. Surely you don’t mean him, do you?
4. There’s nothing wrong with hoping Fred improves, just don’t compare him to Fernandhino.
5. Pogba hasn’t left, and he will only leave if we get what we want for him, not what RM want to pay. Alexis will own the left side of our bench, he is completely done, no hope there.
6. The ideal situation would be to put these youngsters into low pressure situations. Instead, it looks like our season will depend on them making a real step up in class. Even if they do have some talent, they will come into difficult situations. Remember, our other young players such as Rashford and Lingard will be first choice, and the other youngsters will likely come in after them.

If you think I am moaning, perhaps you need just don’t like reality.
Whatever, moaners can just feck off and do that in 100 other threads. If you don't like it, please stay away.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I want to be entertained. I always played to entertain, I watch for the same reasons.

You don’t have to conquer the world guys. Put in 100% and entertain me.

That’s what I’m hoping for
Post of the thread so far. I just want to beat Chelsea first game of the season. It may be too late but would love to see Sanchez and Bailly turn things around. I think we're going to have a good season. Young or the Chuckle Brothers won't be starters. We'll have a new team playing this season....a more pacier team.

thesheriffjw

Oh and id like utd to sign a leader. A no nonsense player who will take control on the pitch.

A player who will galvanise those around him and not shirk a battle.

Maguire could be that player

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm excited to see the potential midfield pivot of McTominay and Longstaff, if we do end up signing him. That's not sarcasm by the way. Having watched Longstaff and reading up on him, it sounds like the two would compliment each other very well.

You have McTominay who is an all action combative midfielder, then Longstaff who is more assured on the ball and likes to get on the ball. Both have fantastic energy and the ability to press.

I also want to see the 442 back at United!

Fróði

1. Let’s hope it lasts more than a month and a half before injuries kill our season.
2. If, if, if. Have we signed Yedder? Most likely it will be Rashford.
3. If, if, if. We haven’t signed any CBs yet, but we did give an extension to Phil Jones. Surely you don’t mean him, do you?
4. There’s nothing wrong with hoping Fred improves, just don’t compare him to Fernandhino.
5. Pogba hasn’t left, and he will only leave if we get what we want for him, not what RM want to pay. Alexis will own the left side of our bench, he is completely done, no hope there.
6. The ideal situation would be to put these youngsters into low pressure situations. Instead, it looks like our season will depend on them making a real step up in class. Even if they do have some talent, they will come into difficult situations. Remember, our other young players such as Rashford and Lingard will be first choice, and the other youngsters will likely come in after them.

If you think I am moaning, perhaps you need just don’t like reality.
The line between realism and pessimism is paper thin and I think your reply is leaning heavily to the pessimistic side aka moaning.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hopefully more of this next season - minus the finishing.

The day we played a 442. Despite losing two nil, we played very well and were unlucky not to get something from that game. Just couldn't finish (Lukaku could have had a hat trick) and made some crucial mistakes.

cantonaldo

Look forward to boys showing their senior how it should be done. We shouldn't be looking to challenge for the title but rather changing the team's style of play from being passive and reactive to playing an attractive brand of football, and to stick to it regardless of results or position in the table. Hoping Ole will achieve that at the very least.

Anyway I don't expect much...

mattsville

It has got to feel like Manchester United again, we were losing our identity with lvg and mourinho the way we were playing, not expecting instant success but, get the foundations in, total attacking intent, move the ball quicker, introduce new players and coach current players with better technique and willingness to attack even when we are winning, more intelligent movement and distribution of the ball in attacking areas, total effort every match, as Ole said every team's cup final is against United, that effort level needs to be matched EVERY time we play as a minimum, it is part of being a "Manchester United player", accept it or feck off. Phase out the players that are not up for it or cannot do it. Prepare the team physically and mentally for the effort required over a season. Develop some of the more talented younger players. Finish top 4. No problem not winning anything if all that happens as it will feel like Manchester United again and we will be well positioned to bolster the squad and kick on with those standards as the default way forward.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Good thread. Negativity is a form of denial of reality. For many of us, fans, hard to accept what happened after Fergie left.

I see Ole’s appointment as a positive sign of systemic change at club. Ole is not here to prove himself like LVG or Mourinho were. He’s not a coward like Moyes. A coward wouldn’t score THAT goal. He’s a fighter.

Ole will use the scouts, analysts, cooperate with commercial department. He will do his best.

I also believe in his tactical and managerial abilities. He is our main signing this year.

Coming season is the most exciting of all I’ve been following United. How will our legend fare?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Jacob

Fair enough mate. From experience though, losing doesn't tend to be much fun, however well you play.
I don't think winning is fun either if it's done at any cost. I.e. buying a ready made XI or playing Mourinho style.

Rusholme Ruffian

I don't think winning is fun either if it's done at any cost. I.e. buying a ready made XI or playing Mourinho style.
I didn't realise it was binary choice?!

That team you mentioned in your original line-up was the height of mediocrity, and would struggle to make the top 8 - why the heck would we dream of that? We're supposedly the biggest club in the world, can we not have a team that plays nice football AND wins?

Eddy_JukeZ

"Sanchez can own that whole left wing and show some decent form for us."

Sanchez is finished mate. People should really stop pinning their hopes on Sanchez.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Moaners can please stay away. Fecking Sick of all the negativity happening around.

- looking forward how Ole will implement a high pressing side.
- if Lukaku is sold, i really like look forward to yedder and how he turns up for us.
- with a new strong ball playing CB who is aerially dominant our full backs will be more involved and think AWB will be a surprise package in attack.
- there is a reason why Fred was considered as a replacement for Fernandinho. Think he will be much better this year.
- with Pogba leaving, Sanchez can own that whole left wing and show some decent form for us.
- excited about young players - Tuanzube, Longstaff,Greenwood,James all will have breakthrough seasons.

Other points ?
Only 10 months till it's over?

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
We can’t do worse than last season.
Looking forward to being a team that works hard and outrun our opponents.
The progression of some of our youth players and development of some of our key players.
We can rely on united defense again for fantasy football.
Getting back into the champions league.
Match day thread where we can spout nonsense and vent our frustration with knee jerk reaction.

Saffron

We can’t do worse than last season.
Looking forward to being a team that works hard and outrun our opponents.
The progression of some of our youth players and development of some of our key players.
We can rely on united defense again for fantasy football.
Getting back into the champions league.
Match day thread where we can spout nonsense and vent our frustration with knee jerk reaction.
I’m all for being positive but this is just fantasy land. We’ve lost Herrera, might lose Pogba, De Gea is declining, we have a rookie manager and ”we can’t do worse”?

I certainly hope we don’t do worse. I hope Ole succeeds, AWB hits the ground running, and that Rashford can find consistent goal form and condemn Lukaku to the bench for good where he belongs.

yellowandgreens

A manager not being a grumpy twat all the time.

The transfer window closing and just focusing on football.

Mason Greenwood - whether it's in the first team or watching the 23s - I loved watching the youth teams last year and knowing Greenwood would score!

Players who want to play for United.

Amadaeus

I’m all for being positive but this is just fantasy land. We’ve lost Herrera, might lose Pogba, De Gea is declining, we have a rookie manager and ”we can’t do worse”?

I certainly hope we don’t do worse. I hope Ole succeeds, AWB hits the ground running, and that Rashford can find consistent goal form and condemn Lukaku to the bench for good where he belongs.
There is no way we are doing worse than 6th. We have enough talent in the team without those players to still finish above sixth. Our team is stronger in defense and with the departure of players who don’t want to be here or fit into Ole gameplan, we will be stronger as a collective unit. We will actually have players now that will work hard to succeed heee at OT. It will take total incompetency from our management team if we do any worse than last season.

King.of.Red

I tried to look for the positives but still got nothing. some shitty players still in the team. well, I will just watch and try to enjoy United matches. Hopefully we can get happy surprise from the team for 19/20 season, maybe 5-7 early matches, so I can feel positive again.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Very few. The good players we have want to leave, as we've blamed them for everything, the shite are happy to still be here.

AWB looks class, James looks fast. Neither will make us a great team.

I'd love to be positive but you're in denial or trying to be top red if you think we're in a good position here.

manunited1919

The line between realism and pessimism is paper thin and I think your reply is leaning heavily to the pessimistic side aka moaning.
It’s just a dose of reality, the original post was full of speculation that may never happen. We haven’t signed a CB, we haven’t signed Yedder, Fred may or may not be a flop (I think not) but to compare him to Fernandhino is just an active imagination. Championship players such as James may come good or may be a flop, but we can’t think we will have a good or great season based on them. Even SAF was not able to get the best out of Powell and other youth players.

manunited1919

There is no way we are doing worse than 6th. We have enough talent in the team without those players to still finish above sixth. Our team is stronger in defense and with the departure of players who don’t want to be here or fit into Ole gameplan, we will be stronger as a collective unit. We will actually have players now that will work hard to succeed heee at OT. It will take total incompetency from our management team if we do any worse than last season.
Our defensive woes are not solved just with a RB or even a CB; more important would be proper midfielders to shield the defense. 2 of our best midfielders just left. If we don’t replace at least one of them properly, and if (or when) Matic gets injured we will find out if we can do much worse than 6th.

NoPace

My dream XI for peace of mind and enjoyment:

HENDERSON

AWB LINDELÖF TUANZEBE SHAW

FRED

PEREIRA McTOMINAY

RASHFORD GREENWOOD JAMES​
My therapist says watching this midfield could be dangerous to my health.

Shiek Gruff

I am feeling as though the rebuild is going to take between 3-5 years. With that in mind, I am just looking forward to seeing us going back to our DNA. By accepting the time frame, I am willing to forego cups, as long as the foundations are correctly put in place.

Amadaeus

Our defensive woes are not solved just with a RB or even a CB; more important would be proper midfielders to shield the defense. 2 of our best midfielders just left. If we don’t replace at least one of them properly, and if (or when) Matic gets injured we will find out if we can do much worse than 6th.
Our defensive woes is a myth based on just one bad season. Prior to last season we had the best defense in the league with these same players. If you add AWB we got one of the best defensive fullback in world football. He will be a tremendous upgrade on Young. Moreover, Maguire will keep our centerback position competitive and offer us a different dynamic to utilize in defense. Fred is an excellent shield for the back four. His performance against Barcelona and post showed that. Plus we have Matic, Mctominay and perhaps Longstaff as well who could provide proper shield to our center back. The only way our defense becomes worse is if Ole has no clue towards organizing a defense. No doubt our defense is stronger this season.

Axle17

Looking forward to seeing less of Young for starters!

With an emphasis on fitness I feel our intensity and accuracy will improve. Hopefully this means our finishing is better?
Also seeing less goals conceded with an improved defense!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
At the moment, I’m excited to see James to play and 2 our other young player to breakthrough the first team Greenwood & Gomes.

Later on if we do sign the players (ball playing & deep playmaker). I will be excited to see us actually finally know how to play from the back.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Looking forward to see Greenwood playing more for first team and establishing himself as first team player.

BestRed

Looking forward to facing into a new season with a manager and backroom team that are proper reds through & through, and have nothing but the best interests of United, rather than being preached to about football heritage or bullshit philosophies from egotistical moaning managers trying to re-educate us all on how Manchester United should play football.

Joseunited

Looking forward to watching Rashford shut a lot of people up and get 20 league goals this season.

BaneIsPain

If our squad can replicate the good form of the beginning Ole's appointment, we are not far behind from the rest. I can see James and Martial attacking on both sides

lysglimt

Scout
I actually expect a few of the youngsters to take a step up with Pogba missing. And I hope we can get a similar effect as we had when Nistelrooy left - suddenly Ronaldo started playing at a whole new level.

I expect DDG to get back to his usual best.

AWB to prove to the doubters that he can contribute offensively

To Watch the youngsters really dominating the Europa League...

If it hadn't been for all the moaners on this forum, I would actually look forward to the new season

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ole develop as a manager/coach, with some of the younger players becoming first team regulars by season's end, Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Rojo, Young all gone by start of 2020/21 season. A DOF type of person who can run the football side of the club, and new owners.

Tango80

The fitness thing, and having preseason to work on it, is huge for me. It was obvious last season we just ran out of gas from over exerting ourselves for the first 15 games of Oles tenure.

The signs this summer have been encouraging. Sorting out the backroom, signing young hungry players of a certain profile... Its the first summer in ages where we actually look like we have a plan.

Couldn't care less where we finish next year, my issue with this united team is that I just don't like any of them. I'd quite like a United team that I could enjoy watching more than anything.

Woeisme

The least amount of enthusiasm for a new season I can ever remember having at this stage of a summer.

A most every issue we identified at the end of last season, still exists. Except now we have a few more.

Haven't exactly progressed the "re-build" to any great extent.
Haven't cleared any of the deadwood that we wanted culled.
Nothing happened on the DOF
Glazrrs still here.
Contemplating 80 million for McGuire and selling Pogba for the same..

I guess what I'm most looking forward to, is our potential big new sponsor ship Huawei or Ryan Air... Etc... WOEISME