Positives for the coming season - things to look for.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’m probably in the minority but I’m really looking forward to this season.

Im sure we’ll hit some bumps along the way, but bringing the youngsters through is fantastic to see and feels like we’re moving towards a nucleus of players who give everything.

Ole managed to get a lot more out of the players when he first joined and I’m hopeful a good pre season will get that back. We’ve underperformed for too long, and the players haven’t played to their ability or potential and now is the time.

Or maybe I’m just in denial and losing the plot while waiting for the season to start!!

Jacob

I didn't realise it was binary choice?!

That team you mentioned in your original line-up was the height of mediocrity, and would struggle to make the top 8 - why the heck would we dream of that? We're supposedly the biggest club in the world, can we not have a team that plays nice football AND wins?
Of course, as long as it is achieved the United way. That's my point.

Dolf

If we can sell Pogba and replace him with two new midfielders, preferably Bruno and Saul, then I think we will do much better than most here think

Seven Seas Sardines

Moaners can please stay away. Fecking Sick of all the negativity happening around.

- looking forward how Ole will implement a high pressing side.
- if Lukaku is sold, i really like look forward to yedder and how he turns up for us.
- with a new strong ball playing CB who is aerially dominant our full backs will be more involved and think AWB will be a surprise package in attack.
- there is a reason why Fred was considered as a replacement for Fernandinho. Think he will be much better this year.
- with Pogba leaving, Sanchez can own that whole left wing and show some decent form for us.
- excited about young players - Tuanzube, Longstaff,Greenwood,James all will have breakthrough seasons.

Other points ?
You tell moaners to stay away and then go on to list positives for next season, five of which are signings/sales we haven't made? :lol:

Here's my list:
  • First pre-season for Ole, McKenna and Carrick to shape our play together
  • High pressing with James, Greenwood, Rashford, Fred, McT, Pereira, Dalot, AWB etc.
  • Greenwood, Garner, Chong and Gomes getting more appearances
  • With Shaw looking fitter than ever and AWB coming in, we might finally become a force to reckon with on both flanks.
  • Actually outrunning teams
  • Lindelöf to take one step further in his development and make the captain's armband his
  • Fred and Dalot should both improve greatly and together with James/Greenwood, keep Mata and Lintard on the bench/stands
  • Interesting to watch Tuanzebe with Lindelöf when we don't sign a new CB
  • From watching the first training clips, the mood seems incredible at the moment
  • We can sell Darmian, Rojo, Lukaku, Matic, Pogba, and Sanchez until August 31st
  • GlazersOut/G&G campaigns going harder than 2010

Last edited:

Al-T

That (hopefully) Ole will have worked on their fitness levels in pre season so we don't have a team of professional athletes breathing through their erky after sixty minutes.

That Ashley Young will no longer be out starting right back.

That James will be as good as I believe he can be.

George The Best

"Sanchez can own that whole left wing and show some decent form for us."

Sanchez is finished mate. People should really stop pinning their hopes on Sanchez.
Played pretty well for Chile in the Copa America. Hoping he may have turned a corner and be better for us this season.

tony54

Assuming the Maguire transfer happens, I like the look of this defence:

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

Going by our typical purchsse of 2 or 3 new players per summer I think it unlikely that we get to 3 players this time. But if we were to get a third I would hope it's a decent midfielder.

Seven Seas Sardines

Played pretty well for Chile in the Copa America. Hoping he may have turned a corner and be better for us this season.
Except for his two goals, he looked his usual slow self with about 20% successful passes. Then lost 3-0 to Peru and got injured 17 minutes into their last game. Only thing to look forward to would be him going to China or PSG.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
The least amount of enthusiasm for a new season I can ever remember having at this stage of a summer.

A most every issue we identified at the end of last season, still exists. Except now we have a few more.

Haven't exactly progressed the "re-build" to any great extent.
Haven't cleared any of the deadwood that we wanted culled.
Nothing happened on the DOF
Glazrrs still here.
Contemplating 80 million for McGuire and selling Pogba for the same..

I guess what I'm most looking forward to, is our potential big new sponsor ship Huawei or Ryan Air... Etc... WOEISME
We're not selling Pogba for 80 mill.

Relfy

Hopefully we witness the emergence of Gomes, Greenwood and Chong. They should get game time in the cups and if they perform I am confident Ole will give them a chance.

Seven Seas Sardines

Hopefully we witness the emergence of Gomes, Greenwood and Chong. They should get game time in the cups and if they perform I am confident Ole will give them a chance.
Hoping this will be our EL/FA/CC lineup.

Romero
Dalot/Laird Smalling Jones Young
Garner
Mata Gomes
Chong Greenwood Lingard​

Seven Seas Sardines

Then he won't be sold.
Exactly. If we don't get 150m or 90m+Pjanic/Verratti/Casemiro, we should get replacements in and let Pogba play in the reserves. Letting one spoilt baby with 3 years on his contract leave cheap will set an awful precedent. We can still get 150m next summer, and Pogba will miss Euro 2020.

Kag

• A fitter first team that should be looking to press.
  • A right back that isn’t Ashley Young.
  • Two centre halves (Maguire?) that can distribute the ball and build attacks from the back.
  • Opportunities for Gomes and Greenwood.
I see next season as a bit of a free hit, to be honest. We’re not winning the title but outside of City and Liverpool our rivals aren’t in great positions themselves. At least we’ve got the money to bring in players, unlike Arsenal and Chelsea. We also seem to be seeking to create a culture of hard work that has (arguably) been missing at certain periods in the last few years.

It wasn’t long ago that Liverpool were in ‘dire straits’. Some great coaching through Klopp, a couple of under-the-radar, nifty buys like Roberston and Salah and some clever promotions like Alexander-Arnold and Gomez and suddenly they’re competing for the title. Irritatingly, they’re a bit of a blueprint for being better better than the sum of their parts. They even sold Coutinho (who was their best individual player) and improved the team with that money. It’s doable.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tbh I'm way more looking forward to this season than last. Still hoping we get rid of a few more faces and we sign a few players as we desperately need to address the midfield and defence more. Maguire, Longstaff and Tielemans as 3 more signings should be very doable and would have me very happy with our summer work, but just Longstaff and Maguire for example wouldnt be too great since our starting midfield would be really weak, and Longstaff would only be a depth option for now. Would be happy with the back 4 change though. Front 3 I've accepted we arent doing anything else, which isnt ideal, but maybe Daniel James is a lot more ready than we expect, and maybe we're planning on giving bigger roles to Chong, Gomes and Greenwood which I'd understand and be ok with. Definitely feel like we should clear out some of the useless depth (Rojo/Darmian out at bare minimum) just to give more opportunities to younger players and more deserving players.

I'm more looking forward to it though because last season was a write off from day 1, while this season there are some reasons to be optimistic, primarily with it at least being a proper attempt to get back to a proper United mentality.

Last edited:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
1. Let’s hope it lasts more than a month and a half before injuries kill our season.
2. If, if, if. Have we signed Yedder? Most likely it will be Rashford.
3. If, if, if. We haven’t signed any CBs yet, but we did give an extension to Phil Jones. Surely you don’t mean him, do you?
4. There’s nothing wrong with hoping Fred improves, just don’t compare him to Fernandhino.
5. Pogba hasn’t left, and he will only leave if we get what we want for him, not what RM want to pay. Alexis will own the left side of our bench, he is completely done, no hope there.
6. The ideal situation would be to put these youngsters into low pressure situations. Instead, it looks like our season will depend on them making a real step up in class. Even if they do have some talent, they will come into difficult situations. Remember, our other young players such as Rashford and Lingard will be first choice, and the other youngsters will likely come in after them.

If you think I am moaning, perhaps you need just don’t like reality.
feck off moaner

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
One thing to look forward to is that the season will end and we can be optimistic for the 2020-21 season until it gets to July 2020 and we've only signed one player for the first team again.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You tell moaners to stay away and then go on to list positives for next season, five of which are signings/sales we haven't made? :lol:
Its called common sense. Its not rocket science that we will have more signings and replacements. Feel free to bump the thread on Aug 9 and quote me on this.

DoomSlayer

He got fecking injured again, there is no hope for Sanchez and I wish fans would stop with this false optimism. Our worst transfer in history and a total mercenary in my mind.

We also haven't signed any CMs, any CBs, not looking like fixing the RW problem, haven't sold literally anyone yet which is criminal behaviour from our board and owners. Our supposed superstars are strongly angling for moves away from United and disrespecting the club with their comments. Yep, so much ti be positive about.

Adamsk7

Looking forward to -

Greenwood
Tuanzebe
James
Wan Bissaka
Gomes (really hope he gets his chance)
and hopefully a much improved season from Fred.

Other than that, unless we bring in three more top players, we are gonna struggle.

Web of Bissaka

1. "Newer" Youth -- Tuanzebe, Chong, Greenwood and others being given genuine number of chances, not the bs minutes they've been given so far.

2. New Players -- James and AWB.

3. Current players -- McTominay and Dalot.

4. Top Fitness and Energy of players Ole promised.

5. Finally a clear proper Football Identity?

6. Repeat of the fun Ole Caretaker months but longer?

7. Any other good surprises eg. Fred and Pereira to have a better season (too much to ask?), De Gea get back to his godlike best form (too much to hope?), etc.

8. Later new transfer players to arrive, maybe.

Born2Lose

Shaw's really trimmed down, glad to see Ole's really pushing them physically.

It's a great opportunity for players like him, Perreira and other younger members to really stake a claim.

Handré1990

1. "Newer" Youth -- Tuanzebe, Chong, Greenwood and others being given genuine number of chances, not the bs minutes they've been given so far.

2. New Players -- James and AWB.

3. Current players -- McTominay and Dalot.

4. Top Fitness and Energy of players Ole promised.

5. Finally a clear proper Football Identity?

6. Repeat of the fun Ole Caretaker months but longer?

7. Any other good surprises eg. Fred and Pereira to have a better season (too much to ask?), De Gea get back to his godlike best form (too much to hope?), etc.

8. Later new transfer players to arrive, maybe.
Good list. Carefully optimistic. Would hope for the same. Baby steps.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think the signings we've made are good, we just haven't made enough and more to the point haven't cleared out enough of the rubbish. I wouldn't mind at all if we were just making space for Gomes, Garner et al in the squad (as long as we actually rate them) even though it's probably an unwise short term strategy, at least we would be trying something for the long term. But ideally of course we want the proper quality and desire in the squad that Mourinho was after last year. Fernandes and Ben Yedder might well be it so hopefully those deals happen. Would be very excited to see Olmo here as well. I'm less convinced about Maguire but he's probably a marginal upgrade on Lindelof and Smalling so not a bad signing.

Main thing I'm looking forward to is actually seeing the youngsters and new signings on this tour, when's the first game?

Stacks

Look forward to City pippin Liverpool to another title. Oh and a Hazardless Chelsea being ruined by Lampard. Arsenal Fan TV is another positive after missing out on Zaha.
Wan Bissaka becoming a **** hero like Heinze before he went nuts

TRUERED89

Excited to NOT be seeing Ashley Young as our first choice RB any longer..... Praise the lord!!!

tomaldinho1

1. The football will be more entertaining by default. That might be catastrophic and mean we have more shockers like the Everton game but it will not be boring.
2. I actually like some of our newer players: Lindelof, McT, Shaw, Bailly (mainly for hilarity) and Rashford of the first teamers and then guys like Tuanzebe, Greenwood, Angel and Garner seem good eggs.
3. We will be fitter which can't be a bad thing
4. Carrick is involved and I feel he's going to develop into a great coach, can see Ole getting sacked and him taking over.
5. AWB is an excellent signing to address a clear weakness we had

Hughie77

Looking forward, to Dan James, I honestly think this boy, is going to set the league on Fire, he's electric quick, if he's given space, he's going to wreck some full backs. If putting my head on the line a bit, I think he will get double figures in goals?

Also I think AWB, along with James could well be the excitement factor in new season, even better if we get new cm, in?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
If, or when, we sign Harry Maguire, then Ill be content with starting the season with what we have plus the youth coming in, Gomes, Chong, Tuanzebe etc.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If we can sell Pogba and replace him with two new midfielders, preferably Bruno and Saul, then I think we will do much better than most here think
If we buy Messi and Ronaldo, I think we might break into the top 4.
But let's be real: neither of our scenarios are ever going to happen.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looking forward to seeing the progress of the following players:
  1. Rashford
  2. Martial
  3. Greenwood
  4. James
  5. Gomes
  6. Chong
  7. McTominay
  8. Wan Bissaka
  9. Tuanzebe
  10. Lindelof
Looking forward to De Gea staying, looking forward to (hopefully) a CB signing to sort that out, hoping we sort the midfield situation out and really hoping we sell some of the dross (Rojo/Darmian/Jones or Bailly) and sell those that don't want to be here (Sanchez/Lukaku/Pogba), so we start the season as a fresh start with everyone committed to being at United. Hoping we sign a midfielder or 2 and seeing how they progress.

Honestly, if we go into the season selling those 5 or 6 on top of what we've done so far, sign Maguire as CB, Longstaff and Bruno Fernandes in midfield... I'd actually be pretty happy. It wouldnt be a great squad by any means, but itd be a proper start on our rebuild, everyone would be committed to being here together, and all the annoying distractions would be gone. Basically this as the squad would have me relatively happy, even if the midfield isnt that strong.

De Gea, Romero, Pereira

Wan Bissaka, Dalot
Shaw, Young
Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe, Jones/Bailly

Matic, Longstaff
Fred, McTominay
Bruno Fernandes, Pereira

Mata, Lingard, Chong
Martial, James, Gomes
Rashford, Greenwood