PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 January 2016

Ixion

It was an entertaining game. I feel less deflated than I did after the Sheffield United performance even if we won that. Just one of those games, Lingard and Felliani should have put the game to bed. I feel sorry for Van Gaal as you could tell from his reactions to their misses how much he wanted it.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We should have killed the game off. Newcastle dug in, Smalling was bullied/bossed by Mitrovic all game.

We created our own downfall. Defensive shape was poor, we gave away a penalty and a soft enough goal. Even the 3rd goal was crap defending my Memphis.

Just lacked composure really.

Attack wise much much better. Just hope to feck the defensive lapses today isn't an excuse for Louis to restrict us again.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We have taken 2 points off Newcastle United this season.

2 points

Newcastle United.

Why is LVG still our manager?

facund

Much more entertaining game but I can't help but feel that the fact Newcastle didn't seem to have adopted the usual 'just sit and watch them play pointless passes' tactic that we generally face and United's abysmal defending, made it such a spectacle. As opposed to actual quality in terms of any teams play. The early goal made the game but it is worrying that the times we actually might benefit from controlling and stifling the game are the times we seem entirely incapable of it.

I still feel infinitely better for having watched that game than the Shef Utd one.

Von Mistelroum

Two woeful defensive performances worthy of relegation. The attacking was decent when either team could string a few passes together but there was a period, just outside the box where neither team could stop losing the ball and it really summed it up for me; poor teams able to take chances created by one or two good players. Rooney was exceptional though.....comparatively.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Am I the only one that didn't think it was a great game?

Sure, it was better than a 0-0, but to me it just felt like two sloppy teams being as incompetent as eachother.

Irrational.

First, the positives:

- Rooney was awesome and put in a captain's performance.
- Herrera in the first half was very good.
- Finally, some semblance of attacking football.

The negatives:

- Smalling. He was exceptionally poor tonight, but we can forgive him after his general performances this season.
- Lingard & Fellaini - missed sitters. Lingard can get better and was rightly hauled off - and in his defence he put in a good shift -but Fellaini I can't forgive. He should have been sent off as well. No positional awareness, no discipline, he's not a defensive midfielder - just what on earth is he doing at this club.
- Darmian - jury is still out for me.

- Lastly, and this is the one that irks me the most, is that this was a shit Newcastle side we were playing. They don't really have any special players aside from Wijnaldum. They're in a relegation dogfight, and like us have struggled for goals this season, scoring only 1 goal in the last 5 games. Not a good result, I'm afraid.

Off to Anfield we go. :nervous:

Parry Gallister

Dog and Duck vs Red Lion. A lot more fun than it has been though, doesn't feel a waste of time. Hope this doesn't put LVG off playing some football, though can see why he's made us play the way we did: we're not good enough to play an open game.

NK86

For once it wasn't LVG's fault. Big players in defence made uncharacteristic mistakes and costed us two points
I didn't say it was LVG's fault. I was pointing at Fellaini. The clumsy feck can get the heck out of my club. I never hate any player but I despise him and it makes me wana punch Moyes so hard for buying him.

Von Mistelroum

We can't score when we defend. We can't defend when we attack.

No balance
This is exactly it. We look awful versus defensive teams because we have no real creativity. If a team leaves themselves open at the back we can score but then we leak goals because they're actually attacking too.

McK@n

40 year old Virgin
Good game, hoping for a fourth goal for... newcastle!! we bottled it! Mitrovic was a handful, think what a better more rough centerback would have done along smalling. No way that would have been 3 goals against us...

That said, where does it all end? LVG OUT!

prath92

No it wasn't. We won games then. We scored the last minute goals not the opponents.
againt bad teams, we defended like kids. We had no midfield and our attackers were top. Just that at the time, we had better attackers. or rather we had them in a good form.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
This whole thing is a fecking disgrace.

It's fecking January and we're 6th!! West Ham and the bottlers are ahead of us!

We love keeping possession so much, why the feck couldn't we do that for the last 5 minutes?? fecking livid!

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Exciting game, a bit better going forward but awful overall again and a terrible result.

Regardless of United looking a little more positive, a 3-3 Draw to an 18th placed Newcastle is piss poor.

Could have been so much worse. A pen for one goal, and Rooney's second come's from a rebound followed by horrendous control by the Newcastle defender. Newcastle should have had another Pen too.

Felbows needs to go, he's cost us so many points this season missing tap ins and easy finishes.

Sadly this will be another let off for Rooney and LvG. One half decent display that isnt a loss and people are raving their genius's again.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Chelsea 14th at Home
Swansea 17th at Home
Newcastle 18th Away

For any serious team that should be 9 points in the bag

For LVG coaching a £250m manchester united squad it is 5 points on the back off a 2 on 15 versus Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth, Norwhich and Stoke

Absolutley shocking and phatetic !

I guess the only positive is that we have enough points already to be save for relegation but blimey how Van Gaal is still coach of a so called "top club" in the PL after results like that is just incomprehensible...

Shocking from the club absolutley shocking !

NK86

We can't score when we defend. We can't defend when we attack.

No balance
This has been the case for far too long. I am shocked that despite having two DMs, their attackers kept walking all over our midfield. Fellaini is so shite I still cannot belive we have not got rid.

Ludens the Red

When the feck is it going to be? What have these cowards got to do before they get any share of the blame for these dogshit performances?
They're his players, he bought them, he specifically chose them, he's responsible for them, He's signed these players who have gone out and picked up 2 wins from 13 games. He's the one who keeps picking Fellaini and refuses to substitute him even when putting on probably the worse display from a United midfielder in years.
Until you see the manager trying to address ongoing issues, how can you have a go at the players? If the manager keeps making the same stupid decisions time and time again how do you expect the players to not do the same?

RedOldBoy

I didn't say it was LVG's fault. I was pointing at Fellaini. The clumsy feck can get the heck out of my club. I never hate any player but I despise him and it makes me wana punch Moyes so hard for buying him.
Fair enough, it was so unfortunate Carrick was also unavailable as well as Schweinsteiger. But Schneiderlin and Smalling were so bad today. We defo need a top class defender there, and some organisation ffs. Also we don't have a proper left back now Shaw's injured. Fellaini is not a defensive midfielder, he's hardly a footballer.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
When we attack the shite defence is exposed. IMHO we need 2 decent centre halves.
Maybe this is why LVG keeps asking his midfielders to focus on defence and not on attack...because our defence is shockingly bad when allowed to defend by themselves.

NJM78

Newcastle are shite. They can't score for four games and then put three past us. The chances we missed were terrible but still what a disaster we were at the back. I just can't see van Gaal ever getting it right, the balance and the persistence with playing players out of their comfort zone is astonishing at times. He seems to make things more difficult than need be. Yes we got some entertainment but it was a joke of a match between two bad sides going at each other like a basketball game. Down to 6th and Spurs have a chance to put a five point gap on us tomorrow, hopefully that game ends a draw. Can't see more than a point at Anfield either but surely Memphis must start with Rooney behind Martial and Ashley young not in defence and hopefully Fellaini not even in Liverpool!

Trizy

Sack LVG.. The performance makes the draw 10 times easier though.

RedOldBoy

Agreed, players let us down today. Would add that those chances missed by Lingard, Fellaini, and Rooney cost us big as well.
Agreed, but I do think you're being a tad harsh with Rooney. Lingard's and Fellaini's chances were so much easier to put away.

acnumber9

This was just like 12-13. Like that Reading game or Southampton game that season.
Back then people would have been talking about how poor we were. Now it's being held up as some massive improvement.

mav_9me

Should have been a morale boosting victory. Couldn't defend if our life depended on it.

Heinzesight

A disappointing performance. Anyone who finds that entertaining needs their head examining. It was terrible football and looked more like a bottom of the table clash.

Red Stone

Van Gaal is incapable of having his teams defend well and attack well at the same time. Shambles.

Rooney for once head and shoulders above the second best player on the pitch. Shame our defence went AWOL in the one game where he decides to show up for real.

I don't ever want to see Fellaini on a pitch ever again, even if we sell him to Liverpool.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
For once it wasn't LVG's fault. Big players in defence made uncharacteristic mistakes and costed us two points
Agreed although it does seem he cannot find any balance with his tactics. We either are woeful in defence and an attacking threat or solid in defence and not a threat. Either way, we are too wasteful. But we still need a better manager.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 517 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Newcastle 0:0 Man Utd
  • 19% Newcastle 0:1 Man Utd