Post match v Liverpool

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It wasn’t going fine. You can’t make a plan that let’s Liverpool have easy possession.

We did have a little spell before they scored but the set up was not likely to win us the game.
The plan was to bypass the midfield or come under pressure in the build up phase against a very good high pressing team. That's what we've been doing for months against quality opposition due to the weaknesses we have in the first phase of the build up. The keeper is the biggest weakness in that regard.

The plan was working fine in the first half. And to improve in the build up phase, we need better players against teams who press high up the pitch. A new keeper, RB and creative midfielder who provide a technical security in possession will take us up a few levels in the build up phase. I've been banging on about this for sometime on here and only recently said that the this playstyle isn't going to be sustainable.

But it doesn't help when the likes of Shaw and Bruno give up the ghost. That's a disgrace.

mav_9me

Seeing a lot of posts saying worst day ever.

Personally last season's 5-0, at home was worse imo cuz that day Liverpool were not even trying and the kept carving us open. Today at least 7-0 was a fluke ( no. of goals). Don't get me wrong, we deserved to lose and definitely one of our worst moments, particularly cuz the players lost their heads, and gave up.

ExoduS

I appreciate some of you trying to be positive but this is a disaster. This is the defeat that will be remembered forever. We did quit as a team.

mav_9me

It was tactically good because the aim was to go long with the keeper and avoid turning over possession in our defensive third, so Liverpool were always going to have the bulk of possession. We weathered the storm and had established a foot hold in the game and should've opened the scoring. The first half was going fine until Fred's positional error.

We capitulated in the second half with the likes of Shaw and Bruno throwing in the towel.
Very surprised by that. And others too. Couldn't believe my eyes.

slored1

First time in months you could truly question what ten Hag was doing. Changes were justified at 2 nil, our midfield was being overrun and Wout and Antony were killing us in the final third. Sabitzer, Garnacho and Sancho should have come on for Wout, Fred and Antony. Hopefully a one off and the players some how manage to pick themselves up against Betis and Southampton.
How Shaw lasted more than 5 minutes of the second half is beyond me. Gifted them two goals.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The lack of criticism of the manager for the scoreline NOT the result. Is borderline delusion. He’s presided over the worst result in our history, so to see no criticism is bizarre.
There are plenty there if you care to read them, ETH had a bad day at the office today, starting with Bruno on the left and Weggie as a 10 quite clearly wasn't working, you could tell that earlier on, he didn't change it at half time and when he did it was too late, after that it didn't matter

Lentwood

Should be a bit of a reality check, weve been papering over the cracks thanks to good management from ETH and great performances from some of our key individuals.

With Casemiro and Varane off their game today, the same old issues arose with the likes of Dalot, DDG, Fred and Rashford at CF

Weghorst shouldnt be starting. I dont understand it. I thought he was being bought in as an option for 10/15mins off the bench. The fact is he is a very average player and whilst he contribues with his work rate, his complete lack of pack and all-round ability detracts from our fluidity and ability to break at speed

Overall we have to remember we're 18months ahead of were we thought we might be and just move on

kaku06

Vulgarian
Would you rather beat Liverpool 7-0 or achieve your targets in a season and win some trophies? That's where I am. Been on a great run. February was the best month for United post Sir Alex. We were due a low point. Not great that it's quite this bad, but it doesn't undo us being 3rd, doesn't undo beating Barcelona, doesn't undo us winning the league Cup.
Why it is a choice? I have seen you making some posts like that as if you have to pick one? Did winning league cup meant we had to get smashed by 7 by Liverpool? Was it a deal? Offered by who?

Oscar Bonavena

This result hurts more than the other thrashings we've received over the past 10 years for the following reasons:

A. It's 7-0. And it might seem a moot point but 7-0 is worse than 5-0 or 6-1 or 6-3 or the other hammerings we've taken.

B. It's against the dippers. Any defeat against them is magnified by 100.

C. The other defeats were when we were crap. Now we were supposed to be good. And they were supposed to be on the slide. And they still do that to us?! If they were bottom of the league and we were top of the league, I don't think we'd ever get close putting a score like that on them. Yet we let them do that to us?!

Just so fecking depressed tonight.

Reactions: Sultan

Betson

I appreciate some of you trying to be positive but this is a disaster. This is the defeat that will be remembered forever. We did quit as a team.
5 - 0 last season , 7 - 0 this season .It will be forgotten about when they beat us 9 or 10 nill in a game next season.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It makes the prospect of getting any points at anfield even harder anytime soon…the majority of these players will have to come back
I don’t buy Into that. We beat Klopp’s Liverpool with both Jose & LVG… Jose’s Madrid lost 5-0 to Barca a year before they won the league…a good manager will get them fired up for it. This will only feck them up if they let it. It’s just a thing we need to overcome.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Didn't say it was
Yeah but you wouldn’t associate Liverpool’s title winning team with the team that lost 6-1 to Stoke, that’s the point. This group of United players lost 7-0 to Liverpool in one of the worst performances this league has ever seen and this won’t be that easy to wash off.

Chairman Steve

Theres been plenty of freak results that happen. We lost 5-0 to Chelsea in 1999 but it meant nothing in the long run. It is important to move on from this and focus on the next game.

I admittedly did not see the second half in full but switched off after 4-0. That fourth goal summed up how the rest of the game was going to go for me. Everyone looked HORRIBLE, everyone involved in a white shirt made individual mistakes, every deflection and ricochet fell in Liverpool’s favour and the fecking ball found it way onto Salah’s boot and he whacked it past DDG off the bar.

Giggsy13

How Shaw lasted more than 5 minutes of the second half is beyond me. Gifted them two goals.
In an interview with bein sports, ten Hag stated that the team was unprofessional multiple times and that collectively we failed. The whole group not just Shaw should be ashamed of that performance.

MUFC OK

There are plenty there if you care to read them, ETH had a bad day at the office today, starting with Bruno on the left and Weggie as a 10 quite clearly wasn't working, you could tell that earlier on, he didn't change it at half time and when he did it was too late, after that it didn't matter
That’s more than ‘a bad day at the office’. Any manager of decent credentials should change things when the game is lost to save face. I could accept the 3-0, that’s a bad day at the office. Crumbling to 7-0 against your biggest rivals in an historical battering is something the manager has to take significant responsibility for.

kaku06

Vulgarian
The lack of criticism of the manager for the scoreline NOT the result. Is borderline delusion. He’s presided over the worst result in our history, so to see no criticism is bizarre.
I agree. Criticising the manager doesn’t mean asking for sacking. But the manager has to take the blame here ffs, if not him then who? Gets praised when winning but can’t criticise for the worst result in clubs history forget just losing. But people would absolve him completely and just insult you and shut you down if you dare say anything even after today’s utter humiliation.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why it is a choice? I have seen you making some posts like that as if you have to pick one? Did winning league cup meant we had to get smashed by 7 by Liverpool? Was it a deal? Offered by who?
I'm saying have some perspective. People are talking as if losing here is a bigger deal than us winning the league Cup, which is fecking nonsense. Games like these are often decided by who wants it more, who has more to lose, etc. United have had a great run, beat barca and Newcastle in 2 games that were much bigger than this one. Yes, we played shit. But we also were on a high and it is tough to maintain that high away to Liverpool. You tend to get brought back down to earth. Not this badly. But still.

MUFC OK

I agree. Criticising the manager doesn’t mean asking for sacking. But the manager has to take the blame here ffs, if not him then who? Gets praised when winning but can’t criticise for the worst result in clubs history forget just losing. But people would absolve him completely and just insult you and shut you down if you dare say anything even after today’s utter humiliation.
We’ve become a fanbase of massively lowered expectations. We’ve actually got an underdog/losers mentality which can’t be fixed overnight but a joke not to see heavy criticism of the manager today.

Cathy Ferguson

They exposed Casemiro's and Martinez's lack of serious pace. I already knew that Antony is a nothing player.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
That’s more than ‘a bad day at the office’. Any manager of decent credentials should change things when the game is lost to save face. I could accept the 3-0, that’s a bad day at the office. Crumbling to 7-0 against your biggest rivals in an historical battering is something the manager has to take significant responsibility for.
Well he did change things and it didn't get any better, and he deserves some criticism but most of it should and will go to the players, some of them gave up and/or lost it, we know who they are and I hope he does as well

OrcaFat

The plan was to bypass the midfield or come under pressure in the build up phase against a very good high pressing team. That's what we've been doing for months against quality opposition due to the weaknesses we have in the first phase of the build up. The keeper is the biggest weakness in that regard.

The plan was working fine in the first half. And to improve in the build up phase, we need better players against teams who press high up the pitch. A new keeper, RB and creative midfielder who provide a technical security in possession will take us up a few levels in the build up phase. I've been banging on about this for sometime on here and only recently said that the this playstyle isn't going to be sustainable.

But it doesn't help when the likes of Shaw and Bruno give up the ghost. That's a disgrace.
The plan wasn’t working - it’s only “working” if you’re up or at least level.

We needed another body in midfield. We could still have played it long if we wanted but when it goes to them you have to win it back before they can get it to their attackers especially if they’re Salah, Nunez and Gakpo. That’s not even getting into why Bruno was LW, for example.

I know you do a good job of describing the tactics and explaining what the thinking behind it might be and I always appreciate your posts. I just think they were the wrong tactics with the personnel he selected and where he set them up to play. The scoreline at half time tells you it didn’t actually work. Second half was a mess of course.

Yorke to Cole

It was a Fred mistake because he allowed Gakpo to run in behind him due to getting attracted to the ball.
I do not think Dalot did anyone any favours in defending that move. He was abject in positioning and after the first goal, he was found wanting for the rest of the match.

Ludens the Red

Those players have undone a lot of goodwill today. Genuinely thought this was a better and more mentally strong group but that was worse than anything that has gone before, through Oles reign, Mourinho, Moyes etc. Truly despicable performance that. They’ve got a serious way to go to undo that. There was no mitigating red card or decimated squad. They just flat out threw the towel in and shrivelled into their shells like a bunch of cowards.

croadyman

Those players have undone a lot of goodwill today. Genuinely thought this was a better and more mentally strong group but that was worse than anything that has gone before, through Oles reign, Mourinho, Moyes etc. Truly despicable performance that. They’ve got a serious way to go to undo that. There was no mitigating red card or decimated squad. They just flat out threw the towel in and shrivelled into their shells like a bunch of cowards.
Yeah unforgivable showing

Oranges038

First half was decent though. Weird.
Aye. Should have had a goal or two. But you don't take your chances when they come and you get punished.

The players totally lost their heads out there today. It was a disgraceful performance and one they shouldn't be allowed to forget in a hurry.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
It is just so depressing that we know for a fact we will never have this same result against them, even in our pomp it was beyond dreamland

We have had maybe 3-4 "once in a generation" scorelines vs City and Liverpool in the last 2 years, sometime you just need to know when to take your medicine and take a loss without embarrassing and entire generation of united fans

Reactions: Sultan

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just watching the highlights there. That second goal straight after half time, there must have been about five or six missed tackles and that started the whole rout.

Some of those liverpool goals a comedy of errors.

A pity we conceded that goal just before half time, we were good up until then.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I'm saying have some perspective. People are talking as if losing here is a bigger deal than us winning the league Cup, which is fecking nonsense. Games like these are often decided by who wants it more, who has more to lose, etc. United have had a great run, beat barca and Newcastle in 2 games that were much bigger than this one. Yes, we played shit. But we also were on a high and it is tough to maintain that high away to Liverpool. You tend to get brought back down to earth. Not this badly. But still.
I agree with this except for one point, no team should ever want it more than us, the day a player no longer wants it more than the opposition should be the day that the player in question plays his last game for us

kaku06

Vulgarian
Sorry but people passing this off as
“freak result”
“it happens”
“we have been humbled before”
“Only 3 points”
“Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme”
“Luck wasn’t with us”
“Every top manager gets battered”
“Bad day at the office”

Any other?

:lol:. WTF? Have we fallen that much? This is a historic humiliation. I’m hurt. Heads needs to roll, of players not the manager. He should be blamed but some players needs to be sacked in the summer.

stevoc

Freak result but a lot like City away. In big away game we should have 3 in midfield, Wan Bissaka over Dalot if he's available and don't play Weighorst.