PL W FA Premier League

Arsenal 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 December 2017

Darkhorsez

Feel shattered after that! Funny enough I was a little numb after the Pogba sending off and generally thought we handled the end well. We had a lot luck. We dodged a few, including the pen calls. Rojo was a bit disappointing and needs to play better in the City game. We have great momentum now and I wouldn’t necessarily write off our chances against City without Pogba. Oh and DeGod’s performances was truly out of this world. We really have a great team with amazing spirit.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Always put my face on the line. I am not a coward.
Has to be feckin annoying watching that as an arsenal fan.

We got 3 nice goals but from an Arsenal POV they were all totally avoidable.

And I'll never know how you didn't get more than 1 goal.

Proper smash and grab for us but I'll take it.
I was fearing a hammering

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Shambles Defensively. George Graham and Tony Adams would be disgusted by such a performance.

It is pointless playing such good attacking football if we can't get the defensive basics right. United were clinical when they needed to be but we were once again the arbiters of our own downfall.

I thought De Gea's were good saves but i felt it was more a case of bad finishing as opposed to the "greatest ever goalkeeping display." Mourinho knows how to play Arsenal and yet we try and batter down the frontdoor every single game. Mourinho's teams simply absorb the pressure and counter. We are easy to play against and its so predictable.

Charlie Foley

Horrible game. One of (the?) most entertaining matches I've ever been to but easily the most agonising and frustrating.

You were so clinical from our errors. Lingard and Pogba were superb. Couldn't tell on the red card.

We had that 45 minute spell in the middle of the game where we were fantastic and should have scored 3 or 4, but after your third it never looked like we'd come back. Can't believe some of the chances we failed to finish from. Thought the subs made it harder for us too, we had no width for the last 25 minutes and defending against us became so much easier.

Sanchez is becoming more and more frustrating. We'll obviously miss his genius but I bet a load of the squad will be glad to see the back of him.

Also thought Lukaku was toilet, and I can't believe a player with his touch could ever cost so much money.
Good post. Now focus on finishing ahead of Liverpool

Peanut Butter

I can't believe some thought that Arse side would hammer us :lol:

They're a good side but come on.

I am still loving Jose's United. He has turned us into a good side pretty quickly.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Get the feck in.

On a side note: The state of some of you in the matchday thread. You don't deserve to support Man Utd.
Every match begins with negativity. In fact the negativity and moaning begins when the line up is announced.
Then after the match, we win and the moaning kicks into overdrive. Moaning about winning...imagine that.

The really weird thing is that those "fans" salivate over rival teams and their managers. If they love rival teams so much, why support MUFC?

Darkhorsez

Shambles Defensively. George Graham and Tony Adams would be disgusted by such a performance.

It is pointless playing such good attacking football if we can't get the defensive basics right. United were clinical when they needed to be but we were once again the arbiters of our own downfall.

I thought De Gea's were good saves but i felt it was more a case of bad finishing as opposed to the "greatest ever goalkeeping display." Mourinho knows how to play Arsenal and yet we try and batter down the frontdoor every single game. Mourinho's teams simply absorb the pressure and counter. We are easy to play against and its so predictable.
I think you guys were extremely unlucky in the game. Another day and you could have got the result. Agree with poor finishing though. It must have been very frustrating watch for an Arsenal fan but you have to look at the positives and some the attaking play was incredible.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Giving up so easily?
I said this to many on here: in life you cannot give up without even fighting. If you accept defeat, you won''t get anywhere in life. Always fight. If you do, you have a good chance of winning (a football game, a job, an exam, or anything that matters).
:/ Good thing I'm not playing in the game then :p

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Win some lose some.

To be absolutely honest with you, Arsenal could easily have won that game. Even when we were 2 goals to the good, I never felt comfortable. Not for a split second.
Big rivalry so it always hard to take a loss. That's it ;)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Has to be feckin annoying watching that as an arsenal fan.

We got 3 nice goals but from an Arsenal POV they were all totally avoidable.

And I'll never know how you didn't get more than 1 goal.

Proper smash and grab for us but I'll take it.
I was fearing a hammering
We are used by now.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
United's defenders' distribution out of the area was the cause of our many problems this evening.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I can't believe some thought that Arse side would hammer us :lol:

They're a good side but come on.

I am still loving Jose's United. He has turned us into a good side pretty quickly.
On another day it would have been 2-2 by half time. Against Liverpool we completely killed the game. They had chances but few. It seemed today that everytime Arsenal had the ball they could cut through us. They seemed to be bypassing MF all the time. They also seemed to be first to every 50/50 ball. Arsenals performance was the best a team has played against us this season. Every two minutes there was another attack. Heart attack stuff.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
United's defenders' distribution out of the area was the cause of our many problems this evening.
This and total refusal to carry the ball out. Just lumping it forward and being clumsy as feck from Rojo and Smalling was the reason it kept coming back. The way arsenal were playing, a good ball playing cb would have found one good pass to martial,lingard or pogba and we would have scored more. If it was bailly,Lindelof and Jones, we would have been even more comfortable winners.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I don't know if it was distribution or shit clearances, I mean, I'm jumping into potato - potato semantics here but I thought that when we actually tried aiming at starting our forwards with a long ball from the back, it was okay. Most of the time the clearances didn't go further than 2-3 yards, which probably is what you're talking about and I agree 100%. It was fecking weird.

But then again I thought that plenty of times our defenders were fouled by the attackers (e.g. jumping for the ball, getting pushed, nothing's given, clearance is shit) and Marriner didn't give a shit about it.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Kind of Utd performance I want to see away. It was very much like SAF in his heyday

Unbelievable game all round though. Credit to Arsenal for playing all out.

walkinhop

I still don't understand why it's so easy to carve Arsenal up like this. Sure, they did indeed looked winning too but if were a tad bit more consistent with the counter in the second half, we could've also hammered them.

PS: Smalling calling them "odd saves" :D

Treble

Jose always starts aggressively in the first few minutes of big games. Arsenal didn't take it into account and weren't cautious enough. Bad preparation for the start of the game from Wenger. The game was almost decided in the first 10 minutes. After that Arsenal played some great attacking football. DDG was fantastic though.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So happy with the win. De Gea put in one of best performances I've seen from a goalkeeper. He was immense.

Jeffthered

Super, super performance and result. It;s funny, because we are still work in progress, and part of me was a little concerned when we simply couldn't keep the ball at all at times... I would like to see us more composed in games such as these...BUT.. Arsenal have been on an excellent, excellent run, so that's a great result.

Shame about Pogba, but it was a red. We simply have to get on. But how good is that guy? Like a flippin Rolls-Royce, an absolute joy to watch, brings a wonderful dimension to the game. His return has sparked that team into life. Quite awesome to observe.

Obvious to say, but Lukaku needs a goal, badly...

kundalini

The problem with sitting so deep is that every poor clearing header and every deflection causes absolute chaos, and in several cases, led to some of their best opportunities.

I thought we rather handed them the type of game they wanted to play, except for the score-line. They want tons of possession, lots of easy passes.

When they changed from 3 at the back, to 4, we pushed Martial wide left, but still managed to lose control of the space.

EyeInTheSky

Agree. With Chelsea and Liverpool winning we were under pressure and came through it.
That Pogba sending off... I swear we are cursed!! Of all the fecking players before the derby :mad:

Well worth an appeal since he was entitled to go for it and he got the ball first just unfortunate the defender was trying to recover and got the brunt of it. Worth the extended ban if they don't see sense since he will only miss a less important game after the derby in any case.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Some people will criticise performance and say it was not good. These people.. they are not human. they watch girlfriend have sex with other man while they read book in corner. they get up late. they enjoy the films of Wes Anderson. they bring financial grief to those around them. they deserve nothing

kaiz

We did hang on for most of the game, but Arsenal is on great form at the moment and we had some very good counter attacking plays. Real shame about Pogba's sendoff but no complaint about the red card decision. Really looking forward to the derby. And a little advice to myself: You should never ever read the caf again immediately after a good win.

Backrow Singer

Weird game, lots of elements to it. Delighted to win.

Thought we looked sharp on the break. Looked slick, movement was sharp. Thought Lakaku was good in spells, Lingard ran his blood to water and obviously was influential in the goals.

Horrible night for Pogba defensively. Consistently out of position and left Matic isolated. Similar with wing backs, Arsenal had 1 v 1's in the wide areas all game with midfielder's flooding forward. Luckily for us, when they lost the ball, we exploited the space those days left behind so it was an end to end game for 90 mins.

De Gea outstanding, simply outstanding. Best goal keeper in the world for me.

Despise what I've said about Pogba there though, he's the only player we've got who can link the midfield with the attacking players. Going into the Derby without him changes everything. Hope people realise that next week, we're going to find it extremely difficult to keep the ball next week and if we end up sitting behind the ball, that will be why. Hope we don't have the same embarrassing comments that we did last night he was out.

Good to get the win though, good week for us.

madzo2007

The type of game you need a drink after, not only because of the result but because of the match itself. It was enthralling

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 84% of 930 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 695 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Arsenal win
  • Draw