g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 April 2016

ants7

It went exactly as expected if not better. Were people expecting a different team to come out than the one we've seen all season?
This.

Never expected us to score more than 1, maybe 2 goals.

First half was fine. 2nd half however... :nono:

As I've said before - we could buy both, Messi and Ronaldo. It would matter nothing unless we change our tactics aka manager.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Terrible signing. Has shown nothing this season to suggest he is United quality. Gormless.

It's funny, the signings that have been the most celebrated in the last few years like Di Maria, Falcao, Darmian, Schniderlin, Schweinstiger, (I've spelled those two awfully) and Depay have let us down.

Players like Martial, Blind and Shaw probably caused the most outcry and were the best signings for us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I predicted us to score 3 goals.
The one time I went against my own assessment (ie. LVG aims for 1-0) and I got it wrong.
Even against Villa, LVG gets us 1-0.
And no doubt, he will hail this as an important victory against a great side who are battling relegation.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
We are absolute dogshit and our proximity to the top 4 is simply an indication of how bad the league is.

I wouldn't cross the road to watch this.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
One of two positives : one more game down until the fraud is gone. Rashford did well again, everyone else absolute dog shit.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
My mate just text me saying he wished he had not made the effort to go.
I'm delighted I turned down tickets for the umpteenth time this season and will not be attending again until we start playing something watchable.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't be bothered to be angry about that. Will take 1-0 wins in the remaining games.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I predicted us to score 3 goals.
The one time I went against my own assessment (ie. LVG aims for 1-0) and I got it wrong.
Even against Villa, LVG gets us 1-0.
And no doubt, he will hail this as an important victory against a great side who are battling relegation.
Mark of a great team, forging out those hard fought 1-0's :drool::drool::drool:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This season cannot end soon enough. I'm reaching the point where I don't think I'll care whether the club gets the 4th place or not. I just want this torture to stop and to get that old fool out of the club.

JohnnyKills

Two great clubs ruined by parasitic American owners. Whoever said 'let's get the US interested in football' has a lot to answer for (no disrespect to fellow Caf members in the States - I just find America's attitude to sports and sports ownership to be pretty heartless, and you saw the results at OT today).

At least we've got a chance of recovery, provided Woodward and the Glazers realise the severity of the current situation and make the right decisions. Villa will really struggle to regain their PL place with the new TV deal, they couldn't have picked a worse year to be relegated. Hope they come back.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fun first half, opposite second one.

Good comeback for the captain, and again great from Rashford.
I'll take some of what your smoking please, because nothing about this game was fun in the slightest. The first half was just marginally less shit than the second.

Esquire

Blind was the bright spot, Rooney, Mata, Depay did ok in patches.
Schneiderlin was hilariously awful.
Thought Rooney wasn't bad. Mata needs to play in the middle. Depay was ok. You're right about Morgan. I loved him at SOTON but man he just turned into a copyright infringement of the old version.

Stretford End Phil

the result is all.

other than that a disgraceful performance. subsitutions really tell you what type of coach van Gaal is.

clueless.
Yeah spot on - result is important but there comes the point when punters need a bit of entertaiment to cover the pain of ticket prices. This was dreadful, fell asleep at one point to wake up and watch us panic as Villa attacked. Even a great coach is going to have to cope with players that are average or will take a few more years to develop. We have turned into a strange outfit, spineless, lacking in adventure, and incapable of expressing excellence.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This season cannot end soon enough. I'm reaching the point where I don't think I'll care whether the club gets the 4th place or not. I just want this torture to stop and to get that old fool out of the club.
I think I'm already at the point where it would be better for our long term future if we miss out on top 4 this season. Just feel like our board are that incompetent that they would keep Van Gaal on if we finished 4th, so 5th guarantees him being sacked (you would think). The sooner we get rid of him and bring in Mourinho, the sooner we can start to rebuild and have hope again and look forward to games.

marlowe78

Getting indigestion against one of the worst sides the PL has ever seen is all you need to know.

This was shite. The game shows that our dawdling over the last 15-20 minutes when ahead is clearly a tactic to run out the clock. Naturally, we haven't learned anything from games like the draw against Chelsea (the late Costa equalizer), which show that you need to stay on the front foot to see games out, not inviting the opponent to come at you. The real indictment is that Villa were fielding a squad that were ready to break ranks and weren't the slightest bit interested in playing.

The first half, to be fair, was pretty decent. I'm happy for Rashford and his continued success with us - I hope he has a regular place in the lineup next season. Rooney and Valencia also put in a good shift even though they were less effective as the game wore on. Schneiderlin did well to put himself about, Blind was also steady in play out of the back.

Second half, it's the usual where we're only ahead 1-0 and lose all urge to push for a second, which gives even half-dead teams like Villa impetus to steal a point. Our defending, on top of that, was an absolute shambles and there was obviously no coaching (or useful coaching) going on during that entire melee. LVG's late-game management is so poor/nonexistent that it's cost us an incredible amount of points this season and last - it's probably cost us top 4 alone, even with how poor we've been in other areas.

I have to rate this game a 4 out of 10. This was a totally unacceptable performance and we were lucky to come away with anything. The fans and press should be on United's case about this game, it shows just how low standards have fallen. LVG needs to be gotten rid of, and the actual standarad-setters: Woodward, board, etc., need a purging out as well.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We were taking it to the corner flag against a team who were 1-0 down and minutes away from being relegated. They've conceded 64 goals this season, and we couldn't score two goals against them at home.

Disgusting. No fecking standards at all.

Morpheus 7

Terrible signing. Has shown nothing this season to suggest he is United quality. Gormless.
Ridiculous comment, he's easily our best midfielder. When you have to play beside a declining Carrick and a clueless Fellaini, it's hardly going to be easy. We have earned so many more points with him compared to without.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Do you get allowed out from the institution you must live in??

What on earth makes you think Giggs would be any better - there's no evidence, just wishful thinking.

Pat Crerand just said the manager obviously had to make changes to the team that won at WH. Er...why?
Come on, the sarcasm in his post was fecking obvious.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
But he was brilliant for Southampton so he has the ability.

Have said it before, and will stand by it - there are too many good players who have turned into mediocre ones for it to be coincidence. Would you bet against Schneiderlin returning to form either by going elsewhere or by staying here under a different manager.

Treble

Two positives: Rashord scored again and Rooney got match practice. That's all.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Yeah spot on - result is important but there comes the point when punters need a bit of entertaiment to cover the pain of ticket prices. This was dreadful, fell asleep at one point to wake up and watch us panic as Villa attacked. Even a great coach is going to have to cope with players that are average or will take a few more years to develop. We have turned into a strange outfit, spineless, lacking in adventure, and incapable of expressing excellence.
how difficult is it to have the midfield hold the team up. That is the key. Ok Rooney could not play the whole match, surely we needed the midfiled to hold up. Mensah for him would have been the better sub. I think van Gaal just thinks in terms of numbers instead of who is doing what on the field.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Come on, the sarcasm in his post was fecking obvious.
Unfortunately not obvious because I've seen a lot of posts saying this in all seriousness, so how do you tell?

But apologies to him if I wrongly assumed the worst.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Unfortunately not obvious because I've seen a lot of posts saying this in all seriousness, so how do you tell?

But apologies to him if I wrongly assumed the worst.
I don't reckon there's anyone who would seriously desribe anything as 'good times' at the moment. That's how I knew

togg

But he was brilliant for Southampton so he has the ability.

Have said it before, and will stand by it - there are too many good players who have turned into mediocre ones for it to be coincidence. Would you bet against Schneiderlin returning to form either by going elsewhere or by staying here under a different manager.
Have to agree with this. He was great for Southampton and on here people were whooping when he signed. He really isn't a bad player, he's talented. I just think so many of our players, as you say, have gone into a shell....and that only comes from a directive from one place.....management.

Morpheus 7

It would be a vintage Van Gaal performance at old trafford if it was 0.0 at half time. Other than that it was pretty close. Slow, negative, robotic and heartless it was all there.

DenisIrwin

We won. Valencia did well in attack. Rashford got another. Blind did OK. No injuries or suspensions. Overall not the performance what we would have hoped for but I'm not angry. Kinda bored, really.

izec

Do you get allowed out from the institution you must live in??

What on earth makes you think Giggs would be any better - there's no evidence, just wishful thinking.

Pat Crerand just said the manager obviously had to make changes to the team that won at WH. Er...why?
You are a Saints fan, why do you care anyway?

It was just a joke FFS, get your act together, nobody wants Giggs besides Drifter and Twigginater

Hed Zitin

Same old shite against that Villa side.. Thankfully Rashford is around.

One of the most unsatisfying wins I've ever felt.

stu_1992

A poor game of football. I feel like a broken record, which is annoying because I don't like complaining after a win. We have to be doing better against what is a truly awful team. The fact that we nearly let them back into game late was quite embarrassing.

I feel like I'd have to give Rashford the man of the match for making the difference. Rooney was good first half, but he was awful second half I thought. Mata and Memphis were pretty good second half I thought, but both were forgettable in the first half.

Finally, we need to sort this corner-kick crap. I think we had 10 today and most were absolutely thrown anyway without even a decent ball into the box. Only 2 decent ones were the ones that found Mata. A better team would have picked up on that though, especially the second time. I think our last one was a short corner and we managed to play it offside ffs.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 341 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 Aston Villa
  • 26% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa