PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 April 2016

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Annoying as feck how utterly pointless we have become on the pitch. Van Gaal will try and say this was in some way positive as well. Sometimes I wish our fans were more knee jerk and weren't so against open mutiny. If they booed and whistled after a game like this it would send a message to the team and LvG that it is in no way acceptable to put in a performance and result like this against an awful team like Villa who have long since given up.

Rashford and Blind by far the 2 best players today though. Rooney did well in first half, Memphis second half.

Also Schneiderlin and Fellaini in midfield is woeful. We all know I hate fellaini and that he's not good enough for us, but Schneiderlin I don't think is good enough either for this level. Just not good enough on the ball or forward thinking enough.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shite but at least we won I guess. Certainly not beyond us to lose to this Villa side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Predicted a draw, but did so out of sarcasm which says it all.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Disgraceful to see a once great European cup winning club reduced to that :(

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It went exactly as expected if not better. Were people expecting a different team to come out than the one we've seen all season?

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Didn't bother watching a stream as going to watch MOTD but when the radio commentators make at least 10 comments related to their fecking strawberry gateau and parking arrangements then you know we were total and utter shite.

Depressing that we can play like we did against West Ham and then produce that.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We're going to sneak fourth.

Big performance against Palace and suddenly confidence returns for the Semis.

Come on United.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No serious injuries so it's good. We need to be prepared in all aspects on 23rd April anyway.

Charlie Foley

Rashford again was about the best I can say about that.

Back in August, I took heart from how solid we looked in a 1-0 win against Villa, and thoroughly enjoyed seeing a young academy player score for us.

Some of those things are true again with this match, but it's quite a bit less heartening. We haven't really progressed how I thought.

Disgraceful to see a once great European cup winning club reduced to that :(
I have honestly no idea which team you're talking about...

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Bang average performance. @Ijazz17 this is what I was talking about in West Ham post game. If you compare intent shown in that to today, then it is very clear difference. It is not as if Aston Villa had put 10 man behind the ball, parked in their 3rd and we were putting waves of attacks, it was just dull 2nd gear play.

Also, sad for Villa going down. I had sympathy for them always and were a good punching bag for us most of the times in PL era.

Devil may care

We were ok in the first half, not good but at least had a smidge of creativity, the second half was utter garbage, just completely lackluster and devoid of any kind of excitement, plus we could have ended up drawing as Villa looked as likely to equalize as we did to get a second in the last 15 minutes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Up there as worst performance of the season for me, went into the game excited thinking we might get 3,4 but it only took the team sheet to remind me we have LVG in charge. Hes so clueless I have no idea how hes ever won anything in management at all and his decisions this season have been so bizarre that is bordering on insane. Ive gone proper melt down after that game...

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
First half was Ok without being over exciting
Then comes the half-time team talk - What the hell are you doing, you've scored in the first half, just make sure you don't score again in the 2nd half
Second half was awful. Do we ever practice corners?

This match exactly sums up what is wrong with LvG's tactics

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Blind was the bright spot, Rooney, Mata, Depay did ok in patches.
Schneiderlin was hilariously awful.

kundalini

Memphis came alive for a few mins in the 2nd half. Blind with a couple of good passes. Rooney not too bad in the first half. Rashford scored. Blind and Mata corner routine almost got us a goal.

Negatives: tedious slow tempo again. Fellaini and Schneiderlin didn't even attempt to create anything. Rooney awful in the 2nd half. Villa had 2 great opportunities to score.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
great 1-0 win, cant wait for Giggsy to take over in July. Good times
Do you get allowed out from the institution you must live in??

What on earth makes you think Giggs would be any better - there's no evidence, just wishful thinking.

Pat Crerand just said the manager obviously had to make changes to the team that won at WH. Er...why?

SalfordRed1960

Comfortable, but the same players slowing the game down.

Rooney and Mata, though not really doing anything wrong or playing bad just set the tone for slow play. Depay, just a passenger.

Mentality of some players is so poor, we are on top so they do not go for the kill, they just play it safe.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Blind was the bright spot, Rooney, Mata, Depay did ok in patches.
Schneiderlin was hilariously awful.
Terrible signing. Has shown nothing this season to suggest he is United quality. Gormless.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
As disheartening a three points as we've seen all year. We had the worst side in the league by a country mile at home and almost drew.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Rooney very decent, Rashford good goal, Memphis looked decent considering he hasn't played much football, Valencia did well in attack, Blind was ok, but that last half hour after Rooney went off was extremely disappointing. Villa are dreadful.

LLMU

Three points but bad performance at home against a team that is bottom of league and is not exactly putting up a good fight. Our midfield is woeful.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 341 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 Aston Villa
  • 26% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa