PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 April 2016

devil in me

Do you get allowed out from the institution you must live in??

What on earth makes you think Giggs would be any better - there's no evidence, just wishful thinking.

Pat Crerand just said the manager obviously had to make changes to the team that won at WH. Er...why?
He wast being serious...

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Missed this match but looking at replies on first page it's a good job I did

Seems like a standard United performance

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Today we tried to play possession football and build up attacks from behind with a midfield of Schneiderlin and Fellaini and we had Rooney to orchestrate our attacks in the final third... i rest my case.

We were fortunate enough not to concede a rather embarrassing equalizer too. But i guess that's what happens when you let any supervisor in any profession feel invincible. Who knows? Maybe LvG is trolling us by trying to find out what he must do to get sacked.

Other than that, intelligent movement from Rashford to get his goal and good runs to open up spaces for the captain to hit his long balls. Blind looked the only who was focused 100% and interested in the game, Rooney showed some urgency in the first half an hour and Martial had his good moments. The rest, a (usual) sea of mediocrity.

The worst part was that we looked a bit uninterested in the game, there was a belief that we would win without much effort which for a side that has scored 40 goals in 33 matches shouldn't be the case. These players haven't earned that right yet. On the contrary, they should be thankful that most midtable (or lower) clubs still consider OT a tough place to visit and choose to play far too cautiously.

pascell

Some of the passing and first touches were shocking from both teams, was like watching a Championship game.

Rooney is nowhere near good enough or sharp minded enough to be a CM or no.10 for us. He was one of the main reasons most of out attacks faded to nothing.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We seem more arsed about taking fancy corners than trying to actually score a goal.
I missed the game but are we still doing that stupid two-man corner kick that does nothing other than give the opposition an extra couple of seconds to stay with their marked attacker?

togg

Some of the passing and first touches were shocking from both teams, was like watching a Championship game.

Rooney is nowhere near good enough or sharp minded enough to be a CM or no.10 for us. He was one of the main reasons most of out attacks faded to nothing.
and yet he created a beautiful pass that lead to the goal.....

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
God that was dull. Please go away LVG and take your cr#p signings with you.

Djemba-Djemba

If we manage to sneak 4th and win the FA Cup with this terrible manager and this crappy team it'll be a bigger achievement than 1999.

And I'm only half joking.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I hope Sir Bobby/Alex were in attendance today to witness the tripe LVG/Giggs put out against possibly the worst side in PL......I hope this proves to them we need to get shot of both and install Mourinho as manager for the new season!!!

pascell

and yet he created a beautiful pass that lead to the goal.....
Probably about 1 in 12 Hollywood passes that amounted to anything, even I was ducking and I was sat in the 2nd tier of the SAF stand!

One pass that made it to his man, if Valencia wasn't allowed acres of space then the pass doesn't have much effect.

Bwuk

Some of Blinds passing was magnificent in the first half.

Really pleased for Rashford.

togg

If we manage to sneak 4th and win the FA Cup with this terrible manager and this crappy team it'll be a bigger achievement than 1999.

And I'm only half joking.
Probably about 1 in 12 Hollywood passes that amounted to anything, even I was ducking and I was sat in the 2nd tier of the SAF stand!

One pass that made it to his man, if Valencia wasn't allowed acres of space then the pass doesn't have much effect.
lol....well, fair enough, you were there and saw it all. But hey...what was the general mood around you, I mean, was there just a general acceptance of where we are as a team. Anti LVG etc? Just curious.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ridiculous comment, he's easily our best midfielder. When you have to play beside a declining Carrick and a clueless Fellaini, it's hardly going to be easy. We have earned so many more points with him compared to without.
Problem is the only time he has looked good is with Herrera, who is now injured, so unless he pairs him with Rooney he is stuck with the declining Carrick or the clueless Fellaini.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I hope Sir Bobby/Alex were in attendance today to witness the tripe LVG/Giggs put out against possibly the worst side in PL......I hope this proves to them we need to get shot of both and install Mourinho as manager for the new season!!!
Only if you believe they have any real influence over the next manager.If you do,then stop holding out that Mourinho's coming next season

clarkydaz

there was one on the 50 minute mark sailed hopelessly out of play swerving away from his team mate. it was hilarious, actually made a mental note of the minute. he did have a good first half though

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Fellaini was our best player today. He made the least errors and quietly went about his business. He will never make that cross field pass or strike a ball cleanly but he doesn't hide even at his worst.
The same can't be said for the celebrated stars. For that, I give him my MOTM.
Morgan, Memphis, Mata, Rojo and Rooney contributed but really is that what we were expecting? Lingard and Martial were abysmal considering they came on for fresh legs. TFM and Rashford have something about them, will serve them well going forward. Valencia, Blind, Smalling and DDG were solid.
Good result. Humiliating second half.

Natener

Was delighted when Rashford scored and I thought "Yes, we could be putting on a good game today." Then the sickening feeling starts to sink in as the match went on especially in the 2nd half that nothing, absolutely nothing else is going to happen. I really can't stand watching Man United play and knowing we are done trying by the hour mark anymore. (vomit emoticon)

Ludens the Red

Today we tried to play possession football and build up attacks from behind with a midfield of Schneiderlin and Fellaini and we had Rooney to orchestrate our attacks in the final third... i rest my case.
Yeah, it's mad. But it's LVG in a nutshell, trying out random nonsensical stuff.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fellaini was our best player today. He made the least errors and quietly went about his business. He will never make that cross field pass or strike a ball cleanly but he doesn't hide even at his worst.
The same can't be said for the celebrated stars. For that, I give him my MOTM.
Morgan, Memphis, Mata, Rojo and Rooney contributed but really is that what we were expecting? Lingard and Martial were abysmal considering they came on for fresh legs. TFM and Rashford have something about them, will serve them well going forward. Valencia, Blind, Smalling and DDG were solid.
Good result. Humiliating second half.
He was rubbish as soon as Rooney went off, which is the time you need your experienced players to step up. Get rid.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Shite. Club needs shot of LvG, Giggs and the rest of the coaching staff.

Imagine if Martial hadn't of got injured before that Europa league game and Rashford wasn't giving a shot...... We'd be knee deep in shite at this stage

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Mentality of some players is so poor, we are on top so they do not go for the kill, they just play it safe.
Playing it safe is down to LVG. He has instructed all our players to do this.
Di Maria was the one player who refused to do this, and he get sold.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He was rubbish as soon as Rooney went off, which is the time you need your experienced players to step up. Get rid.
What do you expect burdening him with creative responsibilities..a role I would have expected Mata and Lingard to automatically assume.

clarkydaz

taking the ball into the corner flags at home against a team being relegated on the pitch before your eyes

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think I'm already at the point where it would be better for our long term future if we miss out on top 4 this season. Just feel like our board are that incompetent that they would keep Van Gaal on if we finished 4th, so 5th guarantees him being sacked (you would think). The sooner we get rid of him and bring in Mourinho, the sooner we can start to rebuild and have hope again and look forward to games.
That is exactly my fear if we clinch 4th place.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The result:
It was a good result for us in a sense. Aston Villa are a notoriously poor team at the moment and them going down today proves that. However, the result is a good one. Its no secret that we need to keep pressuring City to at least try to get the fourth spot.
The performance:
For the most part we were pretty much what we've come to expect from Manchester United under Van Gaal. Slow, zombie like passing and very few players who look like creating much of anything.
I thought in spells we looked okay though, I thought Rooney had a good game and Rashford was involved throughout. I even thought Valencia was pretty good, he got up and down and he obviously got the assist for Rashfords goal. He also put a few nice passes in to the likes of Mata though, definitely an improvement over some of his previous performances.
Towards the end we fell apart. It was a real shame because if we'd have pressed on and got a second the post match thread would probably be totally different to what it is now. That's the problem with the team at the minute though, we just seem to coast along and hope the opposition aren't good enough to punish us.
Players I thought were poor:
The obvious mentions are the likes of Mata, Memphis and Rojo. I thought Memphis looked nothing out of the ordinary against one of the worst if not the worst side in the league. I want it to happen for him but I don't think it ever will.
Mata is someone I'm a big critic of. I often think he's vastly over rated pretty much everywhere you look.
He's slow, he's weak, he isn't creative enough, he can't provide the killer pass and most importantly he looks a shadow of himself from when he was with Chelsea.
I hope if we get someone new in next season he can have some kind of resurgence but I highly doubt it.
Chris Smalling, all he's cracked up to be?
Smalling is someone who throughout the year has seemingly won the hearts of many fans and pundits alike.
He started the season in fine form, often making up for Blinds lack of experience in the centre back role.
Over the course of the season I think he's been on a steady decline though. Particularly for the past couple of months I don't think he's looked as good as he previously was. In one on one situations he looks a bit lost, and in the air he doesn't look a patch on what he once did.
Daley Blind, ending on a high note:
I was really impressed with Blind today, I'm a big big fan of Blind and this season he's really made the left centre back slot his own. He's improved massively whilst tackling, and looks a lot stronger than he did at the start of the season.
That block towards the end actually shows how much he's improved as the seasons gone on. Personally I think with him we definitely don't need a new left centre back, and if Smalling can pick up his form from earlier on in the season we might only need a backup in the summer providing Jones and Rojo go (which I wouldn't mind one bit if they did)
It's just occured to me that I've made this a lot longer than it need be so sorry for that!

SalfordRed1960

Playing it safe is down to LVG. He has instructed all our players to do this.
Di Maria was the one player who refused to do this, and he get sold.
That's your interpretation.

LVG is not likely to give different instructions to different players playing in the same position, unless something wasn't working and he needed to change something. For example, why would Depay be told to play different to Martial on the left or Mata to Lingard on the right. IMO he wouldn't, it is down to the player. It is just an easy cop out to say LVG instructed them to do it.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
You are a Saints fan, why do you care anyway?

It was just a joke FFS, get your act together, nobody wants Giggs besides Drifter and Twigginater
What's that about??

Don't be so feckin rude...I didn't go on about it, and apologised didn't I? If anyone is making an issue of it, it's you. Just shut the feck up and look at the number of people supporting Giggs for manager. So I made a wrong assumption - get over it!

I've been a United supporter for years - since before they won a bloody thing and as I travelled home and away to every game of the season I've earned the right to an opinion.

Last edited:

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The result:
It was a good result for us in a sense. Aston Villa are a notoriously poor team at the moment and them going down today proves that. However, the result is a good one. Its no secret that we need to keep pressuring City to at least try to get the fourth spot.
The performance:
For the most part we were pretty much what we've come to expect from Manchester United under Van Gaal. Slow, zombie like passing and very few players who look like creating much of anything.
I thought in spells we looked okay though, I thought Rooney had a good game and Rashford was involved throughout. I even thought Valencia was pretty good, he got up and down and he obviously got the assist for Rashfords goal. He also put a few nice passes in to the likes of Mata though, definitely an improvement over some of his previous performances.
Towards the end we fell apart. It was a real shame because if we'd have pressed on and got a second the post match thread would probably be totally different to what it is now. That's the problem with the team at the minute though, we just seem to coast along and hope the opposition aren't good enough to punish us.
Players I thought were poor:
The obvious mentions are the likes of Mata, Memphis and Rojo. I thought Memphis looked nothing out of the ordinary against one of the worst if not the worst side in the league. I want it to happen for him but I don't think it ever will.
Mata is someone I'm a big critic of. I often think he's vastly over rated pretty much everywhere you look.
He's slow, he's weak, he isn't creative enough, he can't provide the killer pass and most importantly he looks a shadow of himself from when he was with Chelsea.
I hope if we get someone new in next season he can have some kind of resurgence but I highly doubt it.
Chris Smalling, all he's cracked up to be?
Smalling is someone who throughout the year has seemingly won the hearts of many fans and pundits alike.
He started the season in fine form, often making up for Blinds lack of experience in the centre back role.
Over the course of the season I think he's been on a steady decline though. Particularly for the past couple of months I don't think he's looked as good as he previously was. In one on one situations he looks a bit lost, and in the air he doesn't look a patch on what he once did.
Daley Blind, ending on a high note:
I was really impressed with Blind today, I'm a big big fan of Blind and this season he's really made the left centre back slot his own. He's improved massively whilst tackling, and looks a lot stronger than he did at the start of the season.
That block towards the end actually shows how much he's improved as the seasons gone on. Personally I think with him we definitely don't need a new left centre back, and if Smalling can pick up his form from earlier on in the season we might only need a backup in the summer providing Jones and Rojo go (which I wouldn't mind one bit if they did)
It's just occured to me that I've made this a lot longer than it need be so sorry for that!
I like this style, keep it up!

Tosicsleftpeg

Awful dour football and we barely scraped a win against a dreadful side who have been booed at home by their own fans multiple times.

Without rashford I'm not sure what we would have done recently tbh, glad Martial got a rest though as he definitely needed it.

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 341 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 3:0 Aston Villa
  • 26% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa