PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

Jezpeza

Varane alone was never going to suddenly make our other massive tactical shortcomings disappear.
Nothing to do with tactics. Just on a Straight player swap with lindelof even with the same tactics we look worse at the back

soralapio

I hated that McTominay for Cavani substitute when it was made.
Yeah that was a strange one. The problem wasn't "forwards not finishing the chances they got", the problem was creating any kind of real chances in the first place. And of course, as is standard, the change came far, far too late to really be meaningful. Just another one in a long string of really bad substitutions.

Withnail

I’m definitely not happy we missed the penalty but I understand the sentiment about it not papering over the cracks. I think that’s maybe what they were suggesting. Sometimes you need to take your medicine.
It wasn't. The poster said they were happy we missed as we didn't deserve to win based on the performance.

Regardless of whether or not the team has had a bad day supporters should still want them to score. It's bizarre.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Sorry mate but if there was one player that didn’t deserve to lose on that pitch it was AWB. He’s been dodgy recently but he played well today. Ran well, passed well, was composed, played some great through balls. I thought his best game in a long long while. Agree with comments on McFred though. They have their uses but it’s not at home against Villa.
From what everybody was saying AWB did well. We have seen problems with McFred before and their limitations.

SirMonteyne

Greenwood played very well but ruined some of our chances. He was not confident with his passing, can't blame him.
Some players need to understand we have GOAT level poacher in a team, some buildup plays would have finished the game in the first half. But instead, we wasted so many buildup plays by randomly shooting and getting blocked by villa players.
Players made bad decisions in the final third, tactically I don't think Ole got it wrong.
Hope the team will bounce back, and win against villareal.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Undeserved? Seriously? If you can find a single media outlet who doesn’t give Villa full credit for a deserved result I’ll eat my own bum.
I don't read the media. Do you also read the bible? Would be funny to know where you'd find more lies and bullshit. Fair would be a draw. I don't know how many shots we had, but it was above 20. Yes, most was Greenwood missing, but still. And we had at two chances that should have produced something. Oh, and a penalty. Why Ronaldo didn't take that.. Well, who knows. All i know, he'd score.

bonothom

£70million for a player to sit on the bench. McFred still stodging up our midfield. Pathetic team selection. Why spend so much on a player and then destroy his confidence by sticking him on the bench.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s far too early to be that drunk.
I must have watched a different game to you. We were never on top.
Aston Villa had one shot before the 85th minute in the second half. Just one!

United in the second half were never in danger of losing the match. First half we were sloppy defensively. As the second half wore on though, we were on top and Villa couldn’t get out of their own half for long.

Siezard

Should have let Ronaldo take the penalty so that he can continue his consecutive goal scoring record.

Plus Ronaldo is the captain of Portugal.

DomesticTadpole

It wasn't. The poster said they were happy we missed as we didn't deserve to win based on the performance.

Regardless of whether or not the team has had a bad day supporters should still want them to score. It's bizarre.
Shouldn't have been wanting Bruno to miss. I was beginning to feel a bit of relief that we might salvage something. Silly me.

Hoof the ball

Ok, so, something in the way of statistics.

We had 28 shots, 4 on target
They had 7 shots, 3 on target
Our xG came to 1.93, theirs was 1.57

Keep in, however, that every shot adds to xG score, so we're 1.93 from 28 shots and they were 1.57 from only 7. It might look as though xG favours us, but it actually confirms that their efforts on goal were more qualitative and ours more quantitive. 1.93 xG from 28 shots is terrible. Bad.

One interesting stat is that whilst attacking them, they allowed us 6.28 passes on average before they executed either a press or a tackle. In contrast we allowed them 9.41 passes on average before we executed either a press or a tackle. In other words we're a lot less aggressive and active in our front foot pressing than they are.

United - Villa xG performance

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Poor team performance all round, dreadful finishing, poor from Ole with the pen. Don't necessarily disagree with the decision for Bruno but not in the last 5 mins of a game we're losing with Ronaldo looking over his shoulder. Pogba's defending at the corner was atrocious as well, schoolboy stuff. Villa haven't scored directly from a corner for literally years.

Most of all though, dysfunctional attack. How can you have one of the best headers of the ball of all time in the box, two 6'4" midfielders on the pitch, and at the end a world class header of the ball in Cavani and instead of getting balls in the box (and numbers in there) we're just repeatedly shooting at defenders' legs? 4 shots out of 28 on target, one of those off target being a pen. Just not even close to good enough.

acnumber9

Aston Villa had one shot before the 85th minute in the second half. Just one!

United in the second half were never in danger of losing the match.
Right. What has that got to do with United dominating midfield and pressuring them? We weren’t. They may have had more shots before then if one of their players didn’t fall on his face when he was on his own in our box.

Dante

Average bang
We suffer a lot against a high press. It was the same against West Ham and Wolves.

But it's not just about our lack of press resistance. It's also the lack of effort to win the second ball.

United expected to win by divine right of their superior natural talent today. What we desperately needed was our players to work harder and not be so easy to dispossess. It makes us really vulnerable when being run at. Shaw, Pogba, Fred and AWB were all particularly poor at this today.

I think any midtable side with decent athletes is going to cause us problems unless something changes.

Withnail

Nope, I shouldn't go support someone else, this has nothing to do with Ole, just good old justice. Tired of watching constant shit and us getting away with it.

Nothing strange, I just like that we get what we deserve, tired of getting points through lucky bullshit.

Nope, nothing mental about that idiot mate, I have nothing against Ole like many do, this isn't me hoping we lose every game so manager leave, I just like that we get what we deserve, tired of bullshit, cheerio.

Oh fantastic, the "I will twist your words and meaning" brigade is out.
"Supporter" doesn't want his team to score... Makes sense

jesperjaap

I liked Ole a lot as a player. He seems a great guy. I wanted him to have time. But enough. Too much old boys club. Dreadfully weak support staff, coaches, etc. Phelan! Ole should resign, or get the boot, with immediate effect. Sorry, Ole. It’s over.
Yes what I always find strange. Obviously dotn know what goes on on the sidelines and the job they are doing. But whenever the camera goes to Carrick or McKenna, they both just look vacant half the time, hand on chin or dumbfounded.

Ole really needed a top number two like a Quiroz for the tactical side. Its all too late and irrelevant now. I find it tellign as well when you hear post match interviews such as Tuchels today in comparison to Ole. The tactical knowledge and honesty of performance is telling the huge difference. I like Ole and think he ahs done a decent job, but I don tthink he can go beyond decent and when that the case, as is happening, things will go backwards, he has to go but I dont see the right manager to replace him at the moment

Westerkerk

Disgusting performance. We are finished at a high level with this manager. The romanticism has to stop, we have a bunch of players who I believe can win things if coached correctly. If the club has any ambition whatsoever on the pitch then Ole has to be sacked.

Bobski

Should have let Ronaldo take the penalty so that he can continue his consecutive goal scoring record.

Plus Ronaldo is the captain of Portugal.
Yes, because fluffing Ronaldo's stats should be an important consideration, we have all those so important GOAT debates to continue.

Someone

Something
Villa deserved to win. They created better chances and could've score 3 more.

We were poor all around imo. Tactically we had no solutions, and individually most players were too casual and didn't do enough.

Don't really know what Bruno was thinking. That was a horrible Pen. Shows that mentally he was all over the place.

RuudTom83

It's not the only issue, but when McFred start and then lose the midfield battle, there is little else the rest of the team can do.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Don't get me wrong. The performance was bad. Almost nothing clicked for us as a team. Individual mistakes being made all over the pitch. From maguire backpass to lindelof gifting a corner, and or course to bruno missing his penalty. But villa were good. Not many will say they won the game because we were bad. Remember that they gave chelsea so much problems too. We’ll learn from this. So much of the season yet to play.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Your comments. Totally over the top.
Nope, genuinely one of the worst games of football I can recall being inside OT for.

My section were literally laughing at the standard of football at times. There were points where us and Villa were just passing the ball back and forth between us.

What were the redeeming features of the game? Where were the moments of actual quality?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Ok, so, something in the way of statistics.

We had 28 shots, 4 on target
They had 7 shots, 3 on target
Our xG came to 1.93, theirs was 1.57

Keep in, however, that every shot adds to xG score, so we're 1.93 from 28 shots and they were 1.57 from only 7. It might look as though xG favours us, but it actually confirms that their efforts on goal were more qualitative and ours more quantitive. 1.93 xG from 28 shots is terrible. Bad.

One interesting stat is that whilst attacking them, they allowed us 6.28 passes on average before they executed either a press or a tackle. In contrast we allowed them 9.41 passes on average before we executed either a press or a tackle. In other words we're a lot less aggressive and active in our front foot pressing than they are.

United - Villa xG performance
We accumulated a lot of xG by shot volume, but the problems become obvious when you look further. Only 0.26 of our xG from shots were on target and we had 13/28 of our shots blocked! Villa had 1/7 shots blocked.

I posted this elsewhere already but I saw a United side basically playing under a basketball-style shot clock. Too often we were desperate to get a shot off on every attacking move, regardless of the number of defenders in the way. We needed a lot more patience out there today.

I am usually loath to criticise any forward for shooting, but Mason needs to learn to pick his moments. Too often there were three or four defenders between the ball and the goal when shooting.

DomesticTadpole

Nope, genuinely one of the worst games of football I can recall being inside OT for.

My section were literally laughing at the standard of football at times. There were points where us and Villa were just passing the ball back and forth between us.

What were the redeeming features of the game? Where were the moments of actual quality?
What was the reaction of the fans at the end?

justsomebloke

Right. What has that got to do with United dominating midfield and pressuring them? We weren’t. They may have had more shots before then if one of their players didn’t fall on his face when he was on his own in our box.
What the feck does that matter? Despite the best efforts of a large part of the fan base to convince themselves we were complete shite and were outplayed, the fact is Villa had 3 shots on goal all game. We dominated this game, and did not deserve to lose it. Attacking coherence left something to be desired, but we created several big chances, more than enough that we should have scored. Bruno missed a penalty. Greenwood was too selfish on a few occasions. But the way some people here are talking, you'd think we were overrun for large parts of the game and failed to get a shot on goal. It's just completely over the top. Gutted though I am by the result.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Was my first game there for a while so I was very excited, my section were surprisingly patient.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa