PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

bondsname

We can’t do the simple things. The players can’t make accurate 10 yard passes, they can’t receive the ball and control it with one touch, they clear the ball for corners when there are opportunities to clear it for a throw in, or simply controlling the ball. At least once a game Maguire passes a dangerous ball to De Gea.

We can’t make through balls without it going to the opposition goalkeeper, we shoot when we should pass and pass when we should shoot. When we have an opportunity to steal the ball from the opposition we foul them instead.

It’s incredibly frustrating to be a United fan at the moment. Hell it’s been frustrating for years, will this ever end? I’m tired of this shite affecting my weekend in a negative way.

DickDastardly

Well, somebody had to strach the surface.... Villa it is.

Now, where do we go from here?

New manager this early in the season? Doubt it.
New coaches? Already covered that.
New players? Havent we done that already....

Joseunited

We were bad but it’s a relatively good time to have such a listless performance. Still early into the season. We’ll learn from this and we’ll get better for sure. Cavani coming back. Sancho still to show his real ability. Rashford coming back soon too.

Shoot me for being positive.
Ole will still be in charge and all those players to come back will still fall short tactically because of Ole.
How can anyone watch that rubbish and find anything positive?

Denis79

Wtf did he say? We didn't get the decisions our way? The corner obviously shouldn't have been given but we were awful throughout the game. Even without the goal, we still only get a point. How is he fecking defending any of that!
Oh we did well according to him, just lacked that final touch.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
How did their goal stand? They had a player grappling with De Gea as he started to make the dive. Surely that player was offside and interfering with play?

Houdini

I hated that McTominay for Cavani substitute when it was made.

Before the change, United were on top and had Villa largely in their own half, making a lot of good chances. We had control of the midfield and had a good period of pressure. We gave all that up by bringing another forward on and losing a midfielder. When you are behind and have nothing to lose, especially late on in a match, it can be justified, but too often managers sacrifice their control of the match and chance creation, in the false belief that more forwards means more goals. Villa’s manager was probably quite happy to see us give up control of the midfield and actually reduce the pressure on them.

Sometimes a manager needs to make a change to improve the chances of their team, other times they need to back their conviction that they’ve already set up the side correctly and that any move may make things worse, not better.

If Ole felt Cavani could help in the final third, he shouldn’t have sacrificed the midfield. United were in a good place before that change.
We were never in control and they missed some big chances.

HailtotheKing

How many of those shots were hit and hope from distance? Mason alone was shooting on site at every opportunity.
Right and someone should’ve been yelling at him to stop being so selfish. No one corrects anything that’s the problem. Neither the players on the pitch nor the coaching staff. It’s rinse and repeat, if it didn’t work first time, try, try and try again. A bit like McFred. Fred was much better today but why at home against Villa did we need two defensive midfielders? We needed someone that could actually grab a hold of the midfield.

redmanx

Two freak injuries to two key players leading to them being substituted; a Villa goal from a corner which wasnt a corner; a penaty denied when Maguire was fouled; Bruno missing the target like he did from a penalty and numerous near misses from Greenwood, Pogba and Bruno. All that and too many players not on song, giving the ball away, miscontrolling it etc. How can any manager be blamed after a match like that?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bare in mind that we threw the carling cup game against west ham for todays game.

:mad:
Key point. Everyone was so blasé about that one but the real proof was in wining today.

Losing both, after Young boys is utter pony.
We'll finish 4th at best.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
3 more years of this guy, he will keep telling us the same rubbish - ups and down, high press, the man utd way. Shame there is little substance after 500m spent
As ever it's not the money spent it's the strategy for recouping it. Buy a young guy with big resale value. Buy an old guy on a cheap transfer and a big salary who will sell shirts. Don't buy enough of the players in the positions you actually need, Varane excepted. Employ a coach who is loyal, is good at PR and popular with fans, not one who is a great coach.

We have once again been glazed.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I liked Ole a lot as a player. He seems a great guy. I wanted him to have time. But enough. Too much old boys club. Dreadfully weak support staff, coaches, etc. Phelan! Ole should resign, or get the boot, with immediate effect. Sorry, Ole. It’s over.

Huge-fan

It is very important to have mindset when you play soccer, I dont see this when we play against any team, always start athe match with a mess. Anyway all of this wont help, just in my opinion, works better on improving the timing of the substitutes "no need to wait til the end of the match", Always remember you have a really good team OLE in comparison to others. More importantly, some players requires to do more intensive efforts otherwise everything will stay the same, mentality needs a lot of work and to be maintained.

Lights Out

This squad will be wasted under this management team and by the time they’re gone it will be time for another rebuild and the cycle of woe will continue.

3 defeats in 4 against mediocre opponents is unforgivable.

8 games into the season and we’ve played well in 2 of them and kept one clean sheet. And we haven’t even played anybody good yet.

MrSingh2002

I hated that McTominay for Cavani substitute when it was made.

Before the change, United were on top and had Villa largely in their own half, making a lot of good chances. We had control of the midfield and had a good period of pressure. We gave all that up by bringing another forward on and losing a midfielder. When you are behind and have nothing to lose, especially late on in a match, it can be justified, but too often managers sacrifice their control of the match and chance creation, in the false belief that more forwards means more goals. Villa’s manager was probably quite happy to see us give up control of the midfield and actually reduce the pressure on them.

Sometimes a manager needs to make a change to improve the chances of their team, other times they need to back their conviction that they’ve already set up the side correctly and that any move may make things worse, not better.

If Ole felt Cavani could help in the final third, he shouldn’t have sacrificed the midfield. United were in a good place before that change.
fecking hell I wholeheartedly disagree. Cavani also won the penalty by being an actual threat in the box.

That change shouldve been made 2 days ago when they were picking the team for today.

croadyman

Been riding our luck for too long this season, also yes that goal probably shouldn't have stood but we deserved nothing anyway

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Two freak injuries to two key players leading to them being substituted; a Villa goal from a corner which wasnt a corner; a penaty denied when Maguire was fouled; Bruno missing the target like he did from a penalty and numerous near misses from Greenwood, Pogba and Bruno. All that and too many players not on song, giving the ball away, miscontrolling it etc. How can any manager be blamed after a match like that?
How many times are we going to have this array of hard luck stories?
Against young boys it was the red and Lingards screw-up.
Different excuses in other games.
Villa at home is a must win if you have even the humblest of aspirations.
We made Matt Cash look like prime Cafu.

MrSingh2002

Young Boys
West Ham
Aston Villa

3 losses with THIS squad? Get the feck out of there Ole.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
:lol:

Denis79

Has he actually said that, or is it being added to our infamous excuse list. The ref gave us a lifeline at the end and we didn't take it.
Was asked what he thought of the game and he was unhappy with the referee decisions around their goal and then started to talk how we did well but just lacked sharpness around their penalty box. He was ok with that shit performance.

48 hours

Thongs generally become stale in football, its why managers don't tend to stick around the same places for too long, it's why Fergie was such an anomaly, he kept things fresh by bringing in new faces, be it coaches or players with the added bonus of winning.

Ole as manager has simply just ran its course, without a single trophy.

He may well have made the atmosphere better from Mou, but there's only so much goodwill that will give you until you become part of the problem yourself.

Time for a fresh face.
time for us to switch to jock straps?

Jezpeza

I didnt think we were totally abysmal. Lots of possession, 28 shots. Missed penalty. Just shit shooting today, every shot was at the keeper or off target. Lots of shit passing as well. When we have fred in midfield our centre backs essentially have to bypass midfield. Villa pressed nice and high and stopped us playing it out from the back. I like bruno and pogba having the freedom to give the ball away in the final 3rd in the name of creating something but for feck sake we cant have a player in Fred giving the ball away every time he touches it or failing to get it to them.

Lots of worries - not strong at the back despite the Varane signing. Persisting with a player in midfield who passes with both feet as if he has prosthetic legs. Everyone looks out of form. Injuries to maguire and shaw.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ole is a nice guy who was just lucky. When you remove sentiments and emotions, he is tactically not a good manager. That is the truth. Good man manager, but not a good tactician. And you need that at this level.
Very much so.
The PL can be brutal. And it will always find you out.
Yes they lost today. But when you watch and listen to coaches like Tuchal, as well as Pep and Klopp, you can understand their intelligence.
I cannot say that Ole is intelligent. And he is being found out.

NK86

Oh we did well according to him, just lacked that final touch.
:lol: I know not to take post match pressers on face value but if Ole is saying we did well, then he was watching us play this match in a different universe. We were absolutely garbage.
I hope and pray we improve because he is not getting sacked anytime soon, but if we don't I hope Ronaldo kicks up a fuss and the Board then have to take a call to carry on with an incompetent coach or let go of their superstar signing.

Said this quite early as well, Ronaldo would never take his final years playing for a shite manager not winning anything.

Monger

I predict some big results in October as Ole always seems to do enough to avoid the sack. Throw away points at Southampton & villa but beat Liverpool & draw with City.

wolvored

The whole coaching ticket is a big, big problem in my opinion. None of them are proven to any degree. I feel like it's never going to be successful. Sorry but they all need to go. Today was pretty dreadful. Three defeats in four games. Not good enough.
Exactly. We are supposed to be one of the biggest clubs in the world, yet have novice coaches and an out of his depth at this level manager.

justsomebloke

Can't blame the fans when such tumescent shite was on view. Every few passes we'd mis hit and it'd be back to Aston Villa. Shite.
Bullshit. It's not like we were under sustained pressure or were passing the ball around the back for 90 minutes. We had 15 shots and 3 big scoring chances in the first half alone. There was PLENTY reason to cheer the team on.

Hoof the ball

Bruno takes a very high field position; McFred take a very deep field position. Bruno rarely drops deep to receive the ball and help them out when pressed; McFred rarely transition higher to link to Bruno when he's pushed up, hence why the ball ends up on one of our wings ad-infinitum.

Ole's biggest tactical conundrum is getting the above to function better, otherwise we're going to struggle against every organised press, regardless of the quality of that team.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Disgusting performance all round. Got what we deserved. 2nd to everything.
Spot on. Everyone played like it was a fecking preseason friendly. Where as Villa players gave it all in every duel we have players that tippie toe around them and dont put in a fecking shift

I usually defend him, but this one is on Ole. Cant win shit at this level if you're not willing to give 100%

Young Boys was one thing, we would have won that comfortably had it not been for the red card and i dont really give a toss about the reserves losing in the league cup, but this one really bolied my piss.

Ole needs to sort this shit out ASAP

Rolledo

The two forced subs did limit things a bit for Ole. Buy my word, that was a poor performance. Crowd was shit as well. And now for the beers in the fridge.

acnumber9

Before the change, United were on top and had Villa largely in their own half, making a lot of good chances. We had control of the midfield and had a good period of pressure.
It’s far too early to be that drunk.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Was asked what he thought of the game and he was unhappy with the referee decisions around their goal and then started to talk how we did well but just lacked sharpness around their penalty box. He was ok with that shit performance.
That sounds like our Ole.

NK86

I didnt think we were totally abysmal. Lots of possession, 28 shots. Missed penalty. Just shit shooting today, every shot was at the keeper or off target. Lots of shit passing as well. When we have fred in midfield our centre backs essentially have to bypass midfield. Villa pressed nice and high and stopped us playing it out from the back. I like bruno and pogba having the freedom to give the ball away in the final 3rd in the name of creating something but for feck sake we cant have a player in Fred giving the ball away every time he touches it or failing to get it to them.

Lots of worries - not strong at the back despite the Varane signing. Persisting with a player in midfield who passes with both feet as if he has prosthetic legs. Everyone looks out of form. Injuries to maguire and shaw.
Varane alone was never going to suddenly make our other massive tactical shortcomings disappear.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This is the only rational comment i've read. Another undeserved loss to another awful team that dived around like Ronaldo did when he was 19. People are actually dumb enough to think Zidane would make a difference.. Says it all really.
Undeserved? Seriously? If you can find a single media outlet who doesn’t give Villa full credit for a deserved result I’ll eat my own bum.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa