PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Sat, 25 September 2021

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Conte or Zidane
Conte great, Zidane fantastic record with Madrid but had a prime Ronaldo and a club that had a fantastic squad . However, both have had massive disagreements with the owners in recent times, much like this guy we had before Ole but cant remember his name..

It may pay off to get them in, but are we getting 2/3 years of someone only to fob them off because of internal politics?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Conte great, Zidane fantastic record with Madrid but had a prime Ronaldo and a club that had a fantastic squad . However, both have had massive disagreements with the owners in recent times, much like this guy we had before Ole but cant remember his name..

It may pay off to get them in, but are we getting 2/3 years of someone only to fob them off because of internal politics?
Zidane won without Ronaldo. I could give a feck about how our manager gets along with the Glazers. As long as they win and respect our history and tradition, they're fine by me.

JuriM

Zidane won without Ronaldo. I could give a feck about how our manager gets along with the Glazers. As long as they win and respect our history and tradition, they're fine by me.
Both of those managers give feck all about our history or traditions, if it denies them to implement their vision.

future2future

I have been a Ole apologist for a very long time, he didn't do that bad, result wise, and it could be argued that the squad was not up to standard. But after 3 major signings last summer his incompetence really came to light. Of course we need a better midfielder, but this team can do a lot better than they are playing right now. I feel a proven manager could make us title challengers. I hope that when time comes to move on from Ole it will be done gracefully, has has always been a stand up guy and nothing but a United guy in his heart.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Both of those managers give feck all about our history or traditions, if it denies them to implement their vision.
Based on what? Conte is well liked by all his previous clubs fans and Zidane has respected history and traditions in his only job.

Judas

Open to offers
I’m curious to know if anyone felt confident going into today’s game? Aston Villa at home. After they sold last season’s talisman. With the transfer business we did over the summer. Surely this was a fixture we should have felt bullish going into? But I fecking knew we’d struggle. Didn’t the rest of you feel the same, deep down?

Which speaks volumes about where we are and our realistic expectations for this season….
There's not many games I'm confident about, I feel we should win most games due to the talent we have, but true belief that we will? I don't have that trust unfortunately.

steffyr2

I'm watching Liverpool at the moment. They seem to have this magic tactic of passing the ball to a teammate before (!!!) the opposition player steals it! Who knew that such a thing could be done.

Utd couldn't move the ball up the field at all. With Mason Greenwood, it was like he didn't even notice he had teammates. But for everyone else, it might have been that there was no player located in the proper spot. In any event, Liverpool looks good (and they aren't playing that far ahead of Brentford) and we look horrid.

Brentford just scored. They passed the ball around and just managed to score. They seem to be able to pass to teammates too -- I'm afraid it's a thing with other players on other clubs.

Conor

Not sure how you got away with this post.
Have you actually reported me for this post and gotten me a warning :lol: My god, it's a turn of phrase. Just to clarify for any of the small brains out there, I don't literally want one of our players to be executed over a football match.

OrcaFat

I'm watching Liverpool at the moment. They seem to have this magic tactic of passing the ball to a teammate before (!!!) the opposition player steals it! Who knew that such a thing could be done.

Utd couldn't move the ball up the field at all. With Mason Greenwood, it was like he didn't even notice he had teammates. But for everyone else, it might have been that there was no player located in the proper spot. In any event, Liverpool looks good (and they aren't playing that far ahead of Brentford) and we look horrid.
Liverpool aren’t having it all their own way at all. But their midfield players, in particular, are better at passing to their own guys than ours are.

Nickthepip

Brentford just scored. They passed the ball around and just managed to score. They seem to be able to pass to teammates too -- I'm afraid it's a thing with other players on other clubs.
Greenwood was our most dangerous attacker today. He was the one player showing urgency and increasing the tempo. His decision making wasn’t the best at times but he’s nineteen years of age. I was at the game and it was frustrating but we need to retain some perspective.

JuriM

Based on what? Conte is well liked by all his previous clubs fans and Zidane has respected history and traditions in his only job.
Oh I didn't mean in terms of fans or stuff. I meant in terms of backroom staff picking and implementing, they have their own views and they really don't care "the United way" or including the former players and staff in the background like we have been doing now for a while.

RetroStu

Didnt Zidane a few years ago say he wanted to manage us?, or did i just dream that up.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Oh I didn't mean in terms of fans or stuff. I meant in terms of backroom staff picking and implementing, they have their own views and they really don't care "the United way" or including the former players and staff in the background like we have been doing now for a while.
I don't care about the backroom staff. Treat Fergie, Bobby and the other legends with respect , always have a youth player in the team and win. That's the United way for me.

steffyr2

Liverpool aren’t having it all their own way at all. But their midfield players, in particular, are better at passing to their own guys than ours are.
Brentfort is also better at passing to their own teammates, I'm afraid.

wolvored

Ole just got lucky with Liverpool drawing. We are only a point behind.

OrcaFat

Brentfort is also better at passing to their own teammates, I'm afraid.
Yeah. Our midfield is lacking quality but, hey, if we can play this bad and be one point off top after six games there’s hope for us yet.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Tbf what surprises me most is the level Ason Villa are at. They've lost their star player yet they're quality throughout the team (apart from Ings). Mings outclassed both our CB's. Cash outclassed both our fullbacks and McGinn outclassed both McT and Fred. And they have a coach who outclassed anything we have. To all our new additions: "welcome to the PL!"
No they didn’t.

Blood Mage

Tbf what surprises me most is the level Ason Villa are at. They've lost their star player yet they're quality throughout the team (apart from Ings). Mings outclassed both our CB's. Cash outclassed both our fullbacks and McGinn outclassed both McT and Fred. And they have a coach who outclassed anything we have. To all our new additions: "welcome to the PL!"
That's what good coaching can do for a team.

kps88

This Aston Villa team did actually outplay Chelsea in large parts of their league game.

UnitedWA

Can't wait to see another statement "we need to bounce back". And putting the guilt into offside which I didn't see and referee decisions is clearly a bad direction of being a decent manager. We are terrible team at home, Old Trafford really became the theatre of snooze fest. I have just a little patience before I write "we need to bounce Ole out"!

OrcaFat

Liverpool very lucky to secure a point. We were unlucky not to
That is the truth. But for the fall of a card or two we’d be top by a point rather than them.

We’re not quite clicking but I think we will.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The result is hardly disastrous and it’s our first loss. However, it’s the performance for me. We really are difficult to watch. So many errors and mistakes, bad decisions. It’s apparent in most of our victories too.

Jean claude van hire

I was at the game today and I’m trying to find the positives but I really can’t. We had a couple of ‘spells‘ but I was never convinced we were going to get a winner. If I had to offer one, then Dalot did really well when he came (Lukes performance probably contributed to my view).

Chip

That is the truth. But for the fall of a card or two we’d be top by a point rather than them.

We’re not quite clicking but I think we will.
Huh? We’ve arguably played three good halves (two vs Leeds and one vs Newcastle) in six games. We’re lucky to be one point off the top and not sitting next to Arsenal in the table.

OrcaFat

The result is hardly disastrous and it’s our first loss. However, it’s the performance for me. We really are difficult to watch. So many errors and mistakes, bad decisions. It’s apparent in most of our victories too.
Yeah we’re a bit ragged at the moment.

Give it time.

Our CM is below what it needs to be but when the new guys bed in we’ll make it work.

It’s nice to think that Rashford will come back soon as he finds a way of getting his share of goals even when he’s off form; if he’s pain free and hits his potential that will make a huge difference. Get Varane up to speed and then we’ll win more of these tight games, like Villa today.

It’s not all bad.

OrcaFat

Huh? We’ve arguably played three good halves (two vs Leeds and one vs Newcastle) in six games. We’re lucky to be one point off the top and not sitting next to Arsenal in the table.
Yeah I was just replying to a post about today’s games and results.

As for good halves (or bad) it doesn’t matter much if you keep getting the points. We’re all where we are in the table. That’s the size of it.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Not a viable analysis, in my view.

Firstly, considering how many shots and chances we create, it's hard to conclude that the problem is that our midfield and defence is being stifled. If that was the issue, then it'd turn up as a shortage of shots and scoring chances. Which is simply not the case. By all measures, we are not just dominating possession more than we've done in the past, we are also producing a high volume of offensive pressure and scoring chances. So opposing teams have not been able to prevent us from creating offense. Only City and Liverpool have created more (based on xG). That is not to say that the midfield has performed very well, or that we wouldn't produce more if it worked better - but that flaw clearly is not enough to stifle us offensively. The problem - at least in some of our games - have rather been what we do and don't in the attacking third.

Secondly, we were not by any stretch of imagination outplayed or out thought by Villa today. Not in terms of dominance, not in terms of tactics. They took one of their (few) chances, we did not take ours. If we had, we'd have won. Even though they probably played more or less up to capacity and we didn't.

"If we had we'd have won"...yeah and if my aunt had wheels she would be a bicycle.

So what are you concluding then? That our strikeforce is not good enough to beat a Villa/YoungBoys/Wolves/Soton defence?

That based on the stats then our midfield cannot be faulted as it's clearly the strikers not putting shots away?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Of course we need a better midfielder, but this team can do a lot better than they are playing right now.
I genuinely think we are limited and vulnerable with McFred, no matter how good the other 9 players are. It's the heart beat of the team and we don't have one. You can maybe blame Ole if he prioritised Sancho over a DM, but truth is Woodward would have insisted on someone young and Bellingham wasn't available, or past their prime on a free which would have been Matic Mark II.

It's the club structure. Ole is just the smiling front man.

steffyr2

Yeah. Our midfield is lacking quality but, hey, if we can play this bad and be one point off top after six games there’s hope for us yet.
I'm not thinking it's lack of quality -- maybe either "every man for himself" or they don't practice passing much. Or heading. Or set plays.

Kevzter

Let's call it like it is... Greenwoods got talent but was a big liability today, should have squared the ball to Bruno for a tap in.

Shaw was just waiting to gift them goals by not closing down crosses from the wing, just like he did the last 3 games. After Dialot came in we looked more secure in our defense from that wing.

Why is Ole being blamed, he couldn't go and score the penalty himself now could he?

The GREAT Tuchel lost today, the GREAT Klopp drew to championship Brentford... But the sky is falling at Old Trafford...

Kinky Melinky

I have been a Ole apologist for a very long time, he didn't do that bad, result wise, and it could be argued that the squad was not up to standard. But after 3 major signings last summer his incompetence really came to light. Of course we need a better midfielder, but this team can do a lot better than they are playing right now. I feel a proven manager could make us title challengers. I hope that when time comes to move on from Ole it will be done gracefully, has has always been a stand up guy and nothing but a United guy in his heart.
That's the thing, and I am slowly being moved in that direction. I have wanted Ole to rise to the top so badly, and none of this is knee jerk for me. Ole rising to the pinnacle with United is dream stuff. It's the type of thing we want to see as football fans. The fairytale story! I'm either being honest with myself on how I feel regarding this, or I just keeping blagging to myself week in week out. Three major signings makes it very difficult to defend as many losses in the last four games. We absolutely lucked the living daylights out of today's results. And fair enough, one might argue that that's football and you need a bit of luck to be in with a chance, but this goes far beyond luck. It appears that Ole has a very limited way of playing the game, and he doesn't appear to be diverse and knowledgeable enough to know when to switch things up when playing certain types of teams.

Far be it from me to know the intricacies of tactical football, but what I do know is that football managers need this ability, and they need it in abundance. The team has been strengthened and we are losing games we should be winning easily. We are way off the mark lads and that's the sad reality.

Kinky Melinky

Let's call it like it is... Greenwoods got talent but was a big liability today, should have squared the ball to Bruno for a tap in.

Shaw was just waiting to gift them goals by not closing down crosses from the wing, just like he did the last 3 games. After Dialot came in we looked more secure in our defense from that wing.

Why is Ole being blamed, he couldn't go and score the penalty himself now could he?

The GREAT Tuchel lost today, the GREAT Klopp drew to championship Brentford... But the sky is falling at Old Trafford...
You're looking at one single game. I think the people questioning Ole are looking at a pattern that has emerged. I get what you are saying, but people aren't posting about the things you built your point around.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 276 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:0 Aston Villa
  • 20% Man Utd 2:1 Aston Villa