LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 4:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 November 2022

Lost bear

Highlights how shit Fred and DVB really are.

Play the kids. Their alright. That old man eriksen has a wand of a foot too.
I only saw the first half! Had to go out. Wow…4 goals and I missed ‘em and I don’t even care! So glad we kicked their asses in the end. Just the goals and bits of highlights enough to see that Garnacho is some player.

Beginning to half expect us to win. Remind me, is this really UTD?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I think we controlled the first half and the forwards were making great runs. The issue was the speed of playing the forward pass and the decision making when we won the ball high up the pitch.

The first equaliser came from finding the great run with an early pass

Orange Tree

I've given up on VDB. Even with ETH, he still goes missing. Just like Ronaldo, he looks out of sync.

Time to clear the squad and make space for players with potential.

GregM40

Just got back. Atmosphere was like a premier league game to be fair.

Maguire is horrendous, and that has to be that for the Van De Beek experiment. Stop messing about now.

Let’s be honest too, Ronaldo isn’t ill.

Positives, first game we’ve scored 4 under Ten Hag competitively. Garnacho a very special talent, first touch is incredible, and absolutely fearless. We play much better with a fluid front line.

5th round just before Christmas though?? Mental.

The Irish Connection

Great stuff. Mctominay man of the match for me, fair play. Rashford and Garnacho were great too.
Maguire a disaster waiting to happen at the moment. Hope he has a good World Cup so we can sell him for something.

dpansheth

Just got back. Atmosphere was like a premier league game to be fair.

Maguire is horrendous, and that has to be that for the Van De Beek experiment. Stop messing about now.

Let’s be honest too, Ronaldo isn’t ill.

Positives, first game we’ve scored 4 under Ten Hag competitively. Garnacho a very special talent, first touch is incredible, and absolutely fearless. We play much better with a fluid front line.

5th round just before Christmas though?? Mental.
He's done, waiting for the WC to start & then he'll be out.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fun game 2nd half. Bruno as the 10 vs Van de Beek as the 10 is just funny. Thought we pressed well throughout, martial did well, another goal for him is great to see. Rashford class. Garnacho class impact. Could we finally see martial, Rashford, Bruno as a 10, and another pacey player like Garnacho on the other wing this weekend?

Good to bounce back twice and end up winning comfortably though.

Tarrou

I only saw the highlights but what I loved to see was the togetherness of the squad in the goal celebrations, even the subs getting involved

the fact it’s “only” the league cup just makes it better for me, as I can see the winning mentality returning to the club after so many years

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
This game is a clear proof that we would have won the EPL game against these feckers, if we had Bruno instead of the empty space that DvB is, and fully fit Martial instead of fecking Ronaldo :(

Also Malacia needs to get more chances. He had a wonderful game.

Very disappointing loss of 3 points that game on Sunday :(

Gator Nate

The first half was a prime example of how we can't afford to have so many second-stringers on the field at once. That said, Maguire and VdB should be done. No combination with Harry is working. I only hope Southgate puts him on the field against the US. VdB was mostly useless or just anonymous. Again. It's a motif.

Fred and McTominay have proven useful, just not together. A lot of folks slag them off, but, really, you know better. Malacia is still integrating, I think, and he works pretty well with Martinez as a backup to Shaw. If we could go out tomorrow and find quality replacements for all of them, then fine, but they have their roles right now.

Garnacho is incredible. Skill, awareness, and drive. Rashford needs to learn to play with his back to goal or he will be supplanted. Rashford, though, seems to have found his confidence again and it's great to see. And so good to see Martial back on the field. His goal was due to his strong pace.

Ten Hag made good subs in the second half to take control. Yes, it took most of our first team to finish the job, but they did.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Garnacho looks like something special. Really exciting.

Its just not going to happen for VdB at this stage really is it.

OdinsEye

I cant post media but did anyone see for McTominay's goal celebration where Martinez is celebrating with McTominay then looks up, sees Maguire and immediately turns around coldly to then go celebrate with Garnacho with Maguire staring longingly in the distance then he goes and grabs Garnacho himself.

NoPace

The extended one. I don’t see him making the 26
If this guess is right: https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soc...layers-national-team/xqgzvqoh9dyy6jzp11met0bg

I'd take Garnacho over Correa because I like Alvarez and Simeone as backups over Lautaro anyways and Garnacho's 1 on play on the left might fit nicely with Messi on the right side coming infield to pass and create. Would be the last attacking spot so might not play, but still, if Alvarez or Di Maria got hurt I think he'd be in with a chance to come on and play LW late in games against a tired fullback.

AndyMUFC

Terrific second half to watch after a first half where basically nothing happened. Definitely hard work, we're just really suspect defensively with Lindelof and Maguire playing but great character to come back from behind twice and we dominated hthe last half an hour or so.

Garnacho is such a special talent.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
VDB awful.

Defense a mess when Maguire plays.

Garnacho is going to be special.
Agree with your second two points. Wouldn't say Donnie was awful, just not involved. The touches he did have were fine, just struggled to impact the game. The guy has barely played in 6 months, he needs more time and hopefully he can be a useful player for us.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Part of me felt like Solskjaer must have been some sort of miracle worker after seeing that first half and the shite he managed to get to 2nd in the league (joke, btw). But seriously - Maguire, Lindelof, Fred, McTominay - absolutely terrible. Maguire is a liability at this stage - the attributes that were his strengths before seem to have disappeared - composure on the ball, passing, positioning - all gone. Hard to see him have a future at United. Lindelof is an Everton-level defender - nowhere near top level and barely a useful squad option.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Nice to see that 4th goal celebration. McTom seems very likeable in the squad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
No comment on Young? I thought he looked so reserve on getting rough on our players.

Looks like he still has that old feeling for us. Can't blame him, though. I still want him to do well, also.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I really loved United today. A team that was flying.

We were not City-clinical, but more Liverpool-ruthless (from back when they were ruthless) in that we let two bad goals go through, but didn't matter because we scored twice as many, without a blink of an eye.

Shimo

Reflecting further and all the gushing over Garnacho's performance, one thing that perplexes me is how often we don't recognize that a player has the beating of their marker. In the Real Sociedad game other day, it felt like Garnacho could have taken their fullback all day but, we some how never got him the ball enough.

Also, really dislike Taylor Twellmen as a commentator generally but, more than once pointed out that United went for Sancho for just what Garnacho did, just go at their defender, no fear and tear them apart. Hopefully Sancho when he comes back and realize he can do a lot of the same. It's so nice to have wide players that will attack.

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah Elanga is sadly not good enough. Garnacho is quality. BETTER not harbour the “Real Madrid” dream.
I'll be so fecking annoyed if that happens again. Juventus are already circling, they've offered him a contract when his current expires at the end of the season. He looks like a lad that might relish playing at OT for years though, hopefully that's the case.

Judas

Open to offers
Rashford's finish was absolutely class. Much better second half from him. Again he's delivering goals.

Donny has to go. He is pointless. McFred for all their many faults, deliver so much more to the sport of football than that lad does.

Elanga, don't think he's got it. Maybe a loan is needed for game time, but I just don't think he's at the level required.

Garnacho could be special.

whitbyviking

Some of the football played last night was so bad it was laughable. Not just from the fringe players either. Some of the free kicks and passes from Bruno were awful. As for the offsides, not sure I’ve seen so many bad ones in one match.

I wonder if a lot of the players have half an eye, or more, on the World Cup. Especially with only being the lower of the two cup competitions.

Bailey should have been sent off too, the dirty get. I don’t know how Martinez restrained himself from slapping him.

Glorio

How on earth did we manage with Maguire-Lindelof and McFred as the spine of our team? I know other teams have invested heavily and so have better players now than before, but they're soooo below the quality required, I wonder how they managed to come 2nd :eek: :eek: :eek:

You sort of get what Ralf was saying.
My theory is having a pacy dynamic front 3 lifted the team as we were able to rely on counters, but the moment Ronaldo and Sancho came, the pace went and everyone got exposed

Edit:
Then you wonder how bad we were before Bruno!!

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think we controlled the first half and the forwards were making great runs. The issue was the speed of playing the forward pass and the decision making when we won the ball high up the pitch.

The first equaliser came from finding the great run with an early pass
Looks as close to our old 4-4-2 as we've gone with in years

Glorio

Reflecting further and all the gushing over Garnacho's performance, one thing that perplexes me is how often we don't recognize that a player has the beating of their marker. In the Real Sociedad game other day, it felt like Garnacho could have taken their fullback all day but, we some how never got him the ball enough.

Also, really dislike Taylor Twellmen as a commentator generally but, more than once pointed out that United went for Sancho for just what Garnacho did, just go at their defender, no fear and tear them apart. Hopefully Sancho when he comes back and realize he can do a lot of the same. It's so nice to have wide players that will attack.
I partly blame Shaw though, as much as he played well that day. I mentioned it straight after the game - Malacia didn't have the best game last night but he immediately knew Garnacho would roast Young, and every time he got the ball, the first thing he tried to do was get Garnacho facing Young and it reaped dividends. Shaw for whatever reason started avoiding Garnacho after a while that game

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Admittedly didn't see the whole game but Bruno looked like he had one of his better games for a while and Garnacho is surely doing more than enough to be given a run of starts. Rashford's goal: he looked stronger than usual to hold off two challenges. I've said before he was too easy to shove off the ball so this was good to see

mk7

Bruno really adds something special to the team but that was obvious from Sunday already. Donny looks like someone who won a place as a fan in a pre-season game. Does absolutely nothing other than hiding from responsibility. Really just get rid. Fred also appaling ...

Defense looked rusty as hell but that was to be expected. Dalot had some "special" moments but looked a bit lost sometimes defensively in this configuration.

Rashford plays like he was on all the book tours and a look-a-like was playing for us and now the real one is on the pitch again.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I partly blame Shaw though, as much as he played well that day. I mentioned it straight after the game - Malacia didn't have the best game last night but he immediately knew Garnacho would roast Young, and every time he got the ball, the first thing he tried to do was get Garnacho facing Young and it reaped dividends. Shaw for whatever reason started avoiding Garnacho after a while that game
Garnacho got absolutely no change out of Cash at the weekend. That's why not only Shaw but even Eriksen and Casemiro stopped putting him one on one with Cash and he was eventually hooked off.

I think that game was a more accurate reflection of Garnacho's current standing. He has the ability to be top class but he has a lot to learn and we all need to be patient with him and not hype him up too much too soon.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 58% of 230 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw