LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 4:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 November 2022

footballbite

A bit of a pyrrhic victory. Utd have enough fixtures on their plate already - another fixture in a pointless cup to stretch the limited squad and distract from more important competitions shouldn't really be welcomed.

The team should have put more in to the last league game where a result would have actually been valuable.

KrasHammerhand

We scored how many goals??
That was a fun watch in the second half. We need to have Ronaldo, DvD & Sancho into the stands for the rest of the season. Are they perfect, far from it but just bloody fun when we are running.
Rashford was having fun, Martial was smiling & Garnacho has been a treat.

The first half was not great, but I couldn’t turn away in the second.
Please no complaints about Harry or McFred. That was just fun

Ludens the Red

Once the football players came on the game changed. I think we’ll be okay as long as our footballers stay fit and play for the most part but if too many of the trash get in our team on any given day were in a bit of bother. Ten Hag cannot polish the turd that was left for him .

Blood Mage

VDB is just an atrocious footballer. I was hoping Ten Hag's coaching would help him but it just hasn't happened.

Stig

Poor first half. Great second.

Great subs and very good games from Fernandes and McTominay.
McTominay is an absolute idiot with his irrational fouling and hotheadedness - every game he has a least one moment of stupidity.

Gordon S

Second half was entertaining, but the quality out there tonight for both these second string sides was no less than shocking.
Silly simple mistakes all around. Victor and Harry looks decent on the ball when no one is putting pressure on them. Fred and Scott looks decent moving the ball sideways and backwards, at times. Donny is more of a passenger than Schneiderlin.

Malacia needs loads of development still, some sunday league actions from him tonight. Dalot, Rashford and Garnacho gives me hope that the club is doing something right.
Martial was not doing much but still feels like such a relief to have him in there and not Ronaldo.

cj_sparky

If you would have told me there would be 6 goals after that first half, I'd of laughed.

Mad second half.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Given Citeh were about to be the only big team left in the competition if it wasn't for another jammy dipper performance, I am happy we're still in this trophy.

If we beat Barcelona, we can bin this off, otherwise we can go for a small W.

Shimo

That first half was purely on team selection. When you have VDB playing in that position and then you have either Fred/McT trying to find passes, there was no way were were going to play well despite Villa being toothless. It is just an absolute waste playing Bruno on the right - he should play his normal position or take Eriksen role, unless we have 2 proper players in the 10 and 8 role.

Fred's touch was very poor today, not sure if it's just rust or what but, he is never this bad. So was Malacia - he seems an accident waiting to happen at times, has to tighten up.

Good to see Martial back, he presses a lot better than anyone else. He also is a lot smarter in coming deeper and linking up with those around him. Hopefully can stay fit.

Glad to have got the win, it's extra games but, these are the games that ETH can use, learn more about the players and clearly show the ones that need to be gone.

Glorio

My god it just goes to show how much better we'll be in a few windows.

VdB, Maguire, that calamity of a midfield partnership all need replacing

Felt bad for Martial that he didn't get to play with Casemiro and Eriksen, instead relying on McFred and the dutch ghost for service
And still scored - the one that shall not be mentioned would have his mob with all sorts of excuses

always_hoping

1st half

Shots on goal
United 3
Villa 2

Shots on target
United 1
Villa 0

2nd half

Shots on goal

United 16
Villa 3

Shots on target

United 7
Villa 2

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That was a crap Villa team so I'm not going to start popping corks, but the team did well to come back twice to win by two clear goals. The second string beneath our best 13 or so players is not good enough, we need early exits for all of our WC players so we can hit the ground running in the second half of the season. We could also do with beating Fulham.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Looks like someone's not happy at EtH giving an interview shaking hands with Schmeichel xD

siw2007

1st half to forget, but 2nd half was brilliant, even if we conceded two goals. Rashford, Bruno, Martial were excellent, Eriksen and Garnacho were superb off the bench, games to forget for Fred and Donny.

Great game to finish at home before the World Cup. Sundays game is big I think to make sure we go into the break with a positive vibe.

sirAlexsglasses

Just seen ETH post match interview, we definitely have the right man for the job, we are going in the right direction under him…….and Garnacho can be a world class player of he keeps his feet on the ground, he was a constant threat down that left side and Villa shit it every time he ran at them.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We made hard work of it, but it was a good night in the end. We looked a lot better after the changes obviously, I don’t think we work without Eriksen and Martinez, we need the quick passes from deep.

RedfromIreland

I think everyone will agree, Garnancho is what we all expected Sancho to be.
Sancho Carrie’s the ball to the edge of the area and then stops and plays it backwards mostly, instead of taking his man on inside the penalty area.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Eriksen & Garnacho changed the game.Delighted Bruno got a goal.Excitement returned to Old Trafford tonight thanks mainly to an 18 year old kid!
Football eh? Bloody hell!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Good result in the end. Showed the alarming lack of depth to begin with but the subs and moving Bruno central changed the game. Felt like playing with 9 men thanks to VDB and Maguire. Malacia very good in his ball progression.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
That was a crap Villa team so I'm not going to start popping corks, but the team did well to come back twice to win by two clear goals. The second string beneath our best 13 or so players is not good enough, we need early exits for all of our WC players so we can hit the ground running in the second half of the season. We could also do with beating Fulham.
It's a cup competition ffs. There are no crap teams in PL.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Their keeper and back four were all over the place. We did well to get back in it as I've said, but they were a sloppy mess (particularly when Mighty Mings came on).
All of their options are shit. Martinez probably is a big miss but that's it. Calling that team a second string side is bit of an exaggeration

Maniron

What a great second half and so good to see Marcus finding his form again and what a massive confidence boost for him to get the WC call up

Elcabron

Garnacho the man. Second string central defence appalling
I agree but in their defence they had mcfed in front of them while the first choice defence enjoys casemiro in front of them, it does make a difference to be fair

Cathy Ferguson

Good result in the end. Showed the alarming lack of depth to begin with but the subs and moving Bruno central changed the game. Felt like playing with 9 men thanks to VDB and Maguire. Malacia very good in his ball progression.
Donny and Maguire must be done at this level. They are not even decent squad players. Fred also disappointing. He is a very frustrating player.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
All of their options are shit. Martinez probably is a big miss but that's it. Calling that team a second string side is bit of an exaggeration
I didn't call them second string. I said that Villa team tonight was crap, which it was, and that we did well to come back twice and win by two clear goals. I don't think any of that is controversial.

I'm happy we won, and happier still now I've seen the draw.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought Villa were utter wank apart from Young and Bailey who is a silly twat and should have been sent off. We did the job and I thought for the most part Fernandes, Rashford, Garnacho and McT did pretty well. The rest were somewhere between ok and hideous, Lindelof and Dalot perhaps managing to stand out as the worst.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Fred and VDB were fecking awful, how they can play that poorly repeatedly is mad.

Garnacho and Eriksen changed the game for me and I think Scott has to be a B2B player, if being utilised.

Will take it, still finding our way, but some moments showing we can at least take on instruction.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 58% of 230 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw