LC W League Cup Third Round

Manchester United 4:2 Aston Villa

Post-match discussion

Thu, 10 November 2022

Glorio

Garnacho got absolutely no change out of Cash at the weekend. That's why not only Shaw but even Eriksen and Casemiro stopped putting him one on one with Cash and he was eventually hooked off.

I think that game was a more accurate reflection of Garnacho's current standing. He has the ability to be top class but he has a lot to learn and we all need to be patient with him and not hype him up too much too soon.
We're referring to the game in Spain though where he definitely had the beating of their fullback

Shai-Hulud

Wow, watching paint dry in the first half. Remove fred and DVB and we are electric.
Garnacho is one exciting young player.
Yes, but even more importantly: remove Ronaldo and we start scoring again.

pacifictheme

I'll be so fecking annoyed if that happens again. Juventus are already circling, they've offered him a contract when his current expires at the end of the season. He looks like a lad that might relish playing at OT for years though, hopefully that's the case.
I am pretty sure his contract doesn't expire at the end of the season. He's tied down but we are negotiating improved terms.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Garnacho got absolutely no change out of Cash at the weekend. That's why not only Shaw but even Eriksen and Casemiro stopped putting him one on one with Cash and he was eventually hooked off.

I think that game was a more accurate reflection of Garnacho's current standing. He has the ability to be top class but he has a lot to learn and we all need to be patient with him and not hype him up too much too soon.
Cash was on for the last half hour of the match last night and was getting absolutely rinsed. If anything, Garnacho was getting more joy out of him than Ashley Young (who was superb, by the way, why the feck did we let him go?!)

RuudTom83

Good match for EtH to evaluate the squad...the first half team had a look of "last season" about it, add a few new lads for the second half and it was miles better.

Really important to never lose back-to-back games, so the end result was very pleasing.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Cash was on for the last half hour of the match last night and was getting absolutely rinsed. If anything, Garnacho was getting more joy out of him than Ashley Young (who was superb, by the way, why the feck did we let him go?!)
Yeah last night Garnacho had more joy against Cash, but not at the weekend. He tried multiple times to take him on in the first half but to no avail. But that's to be expected I guess. Young players will have matches where they look great and others where things don't go for them. Totally agree with ETH's post match comments that he still has a lot to learn and hopefully the fans keep their expectations of him in check.

UpWithRivers

Well what a surprise. Playing VDB as a 10 and a not natural RW in Rashford/Bruno doesnt work. Why Ten Haag kept persisting with this Ill never know. Yeah Garnacho made a huge difference and so did Eriksen but simply putting players in their natural position and not playing VDB which makes us basically one man down is what really changed the game and gave the shape/platform for Garnacho/Eriksen etc to succeed.

Revaulx

I think we controlled the first half and the forwards were making great runs. The issue was the speed of playing the forward pass and the decision making when we won the ball high up the pitch.

The first equaliser came from finding the great run with an early pass
I don’t think I’d have put it as strongly as “controlled” but considering that Donny was non-existent, Fred’s first touch was at its very worst and both first choice CBs were out, we still managed to keep a hold on proceedings. Which is pretty impressive.

norm87cro

Didnt watch the game but I watched the extended highlights and the most positive thing I can say is that every team mate was honestly happy for our every goalscorer that night.

Dalot maybe scored an own goal but it was Lindelof again who was so scared of the person that made the cross that did it for me.

Water Melon

We are so much better off without Cristiano. VdB needs to be transferred out for the sake of his own career. Garnacho/Rashford on the left, Antony/Sancho on the right it should be. Hopefully, Iqbal is trusted enough as I'd prefer him over Fred or Donny. And, yes, Maguire is slow and will continue to cost us goals. Lindelof is a backpedalling crab who is miles behind Lisandro and Rafa.

sugar_kane

Was at OT last night and was expecting a right shitter of a game and I was (one) half right, but bloody hell that second half was fun.

The Villa fans were great to be fair, made even more fun by the relentless piss taking of them from our lot towards the end.

Surely no question now about how having Ronaldo in the team completely crushes our overall style. We were far from perfect last night but would put that down largely having a weakened team.

Even with the huge drop in quality with the likes of Donny, Fred and Maguire (with Donny anonymous as always and Maguire/Fred abysmal) we still look way better as a unit when we can press from the front.

DevilRed

The Butcher slapping McTominater repeatedly was the highlight of the match for me.

Also that vagina bailey getting bullied once again in the 5 minutes that Licha was on :lol:

I wonder if the FA will charge him with violent conduct after that deliberate kick? Probably not as they are a bunch of blind twats unless its our players.

Maticmaker

A real cup tie, nothing until one side scored, then it roared into action.
Garnacho playing (as talented youngsters do) without fear, long may it continue.
A shout for McT he was all over the place, he matched Villa in combative effort, rewarded with great goal.
A bit worried about Malacia, he was nowhere to be seen when Young carried the ball half the length of the pitch in the lead up for their second goal... if had been reversed he wouldn't have got that space from Ashley!
Good to see Rashford and Martial firing again, just maybe their partnership might work, second time around.. here's hoping.
Good result on the night.

justsomebloke

Well what a surprise. Playing VDB as a 10 and a not natural RW in Rashford/Bruno doesnt work. Why Ten Haag kept persisting with this Ill never know. Yeah Garnacho made a huge difference and so did Eriksen but simply putting players in their natural position and not playing VDB which makes us basically one man down is what really changed the game and gave the shape/platform for Garnacho/Eriksen etc to succeed.
He has to try though, hasn't he. How else is he going to find out if Donny can be a piece in this team or not. It doesn't look like he can though.

justsomebloke

The Butcher slapping McTominater repeatedly was the highlight of the match for me.

Also that vagina bailey getting bullied once again in the 5 minutes that Licha was on :lol:

I wonder if the FA will charge him with violent conduct after that deliberate kick? Probably not as they are a bunch of blind twats unless its our players.
Cancels out, I would suspect. Martinez was probably lucky to escape sanction on Sunday.

justsomebloke

A real cup tie, nothing until one side scored, then it roared into action.
Garnacho playing (as talented youngsters do) without fear, long may it continue.
A shout for McT he was all over the place, he matched Villa in combative effort, rewarded with great goal.
A bit worried about Malacia, he was nowhere to be seen when Young carried the ball half the length of the pitch in the lead up for their second goal... if had been reversed he wouldn't have got that space from Ashley!
Good to see Rashford and Martial firing again, just maybe their partnership might work, second time around.. here's hoping.
Good result on the night.
Agree this is a concern. He's been getting turned all season, what saves him is his recovery is so good, but clearly Villa had identified opportunities on his flank and were taking them. On the plus side, he's looking better on the ball and particularly with his passing than he did early on. But so far I think it's fair to say he's more a project than the finished article.

Maticmaker

Agree this is a concern. He's been getting turned all season, what saves him is his recovery is so good, but clearly Villa had identified opportunities on his flank and were taking them. On the plus side, he's looking better on the ball and particularly with his passing than he did early on. But so far I think it's fair to say he's more a project than the finished article.
Yes, this is true, and his arrival has provided a 'spur' for Luke Shaw to raise his game again.

Member 101269

awful in the first half, defending, initially, in the second half wasn't up to scratch. Sadly, it was interesting to watch HM point to where the ball should go, then see others pass the ball from a more macro view of game play. It was also awful to see HM running in mud for Villa's first goal and Dalot speeding passed him. There are clear questions about HMs development/ability to function/perform for united i'm hopeful the manager has seen enough.

Garnacho some great play, also some sloppy/ naive elements that ETH identified in his post-match interview. Nice to see some hunger from Rashford, BF, McT.

A mention for Dalot, he was unlucky with the OG. What a pass for our first goal.

Malacia looked a little shaky, i'm hopeful he'll grow into the PL

4 goals :D

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Just watching the highlights and one thing bothered me that keeps happening - when Bruno goes through the commentator says “he’s in behind and the flag stays down - squares it to Martial and there’s no flag! It’s 1-1” - why are they still saying that when they know the flag always stays down nose and then they check in on VAR? Keeps happening all the time.
The flag didn't stay down yesterday since there was no VAR, though

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The flag didn't stay down yesterday since there was no VAR, though
Ah is there no VAR in the league cup? Thought it was weird. To be honest it’s so much better when you can actually celebrate a goal without being scared it’s about to get ruled out.

Maticmaker

Just watching the highlights and one thing bothered me that keeps happening - when Bruno goes through the commentator says “he’s in behind and the flag stays down - squares it to Martial and there’s no flag! It’s 1-1” - why are they still saying that when they know the flag always stays down nose and then they check in on VAR? Keeps happening all the time.
Don't know really... it' seems sometimes a bit like the "why are we here" question... 'don't know, ask VAR' the universal answer ;)

JustKatie

A good win really. I don't really have much more to say about it.
With the draw we've a decent chance to get to the next round too.

I still don't care one bit for the league cup (yes yes I know we need a trophy) but it'd still be nice to go far.

Plus one of Liverpool or City WILL go out so you never know.

UpWithRivers

He has to try though, hasn't he. How else is he going to find out if Donny can be a piece in this team or not. It doesn't look like he can though.
You give him 20/30 mins as a replacement for Bruno when we are winning and see how he does and build up from there. You cannot afford to experiment when games are so crucial. He had 11 touches playing as a 10 in the first half. If thats not playing a man down I dont know what is. And he was similar in the other two games. What is this? A charity? Ten Haag has been playing players based on form and all of a sudden VDB gets a few games to build into form? Why? I actually like Donny and have no hard feeling towards him but useless is useless.

Redbandito

I think we controlled the first half and the forwards were making great runs. The issue was the speed of playing the forward pass and the decision making when we won the ball high up the pitch.

The first equaliser came from finding the great run with an early pass
Yes, exactly this…The best example was the run Rashford made where Fred held the ball a touch too long. It was clearly there when Rashford started his run. Should’ve been 1-0.

Shimo

I partly blame Shaw though, as much as he played well that day. I mentioned it straight after the game - Malacia didn't have the best game last night but he immediately knew Garnacho would roast Young, and every time he got the ball, the first thing he tried to do was get Garnacho facing Young and it reaped dividends. Shaw for whatever reason started avoiding Garnacho after a while that game
Was livid with Shaw that game - in my head I had a conspiracy going that he had money on us not winning by 2. So casual and many times could have played the ball to Garnacho and he just refused.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Last night for the first 60 minutes was a glimpse of last season. Maguire, Lindelof with McTominay and Fred in the middle with VdB ghosting in the middle. A different game once Erikson, and Garnacho came on.

Zed 101

Entertaining in the second half I wonder how it would have gone if Villa hadn't gotten the early goal, may well have been 45 more dull, got to say yet again Maguire looked abysmal, out of position and too slow to recover

Stig

I think Fred has a lot of positive attributes, especially as a utility squad player.

However last night I saw him try to control a dropping ball with his foot, but he caught it with his knee and had to go scampering after it. It was quite funny.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 58% of 230 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 209 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw