CL D Champions League Group F

Atalanta 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 November 2021

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
10 points get us through doesn't it?
No guarantee (usually 10 does). We could lose to Villareal (by enough that Villareal have a better head to head than us) win at YB, and Atalanta beat Villareal and YB and we’re out.

Everything to play for.

Withnail

I don't know how much coaching has to do with De Gea's howler, or Pogba's constant losing the ball in dangerous positions. Basic basic basic bread and butter stuff. I suppose Ole's culpability here lies in choosing Pogba to play CM in the first place. It's times like this you realise we don't have much choice.

Bailly has been left out in the cold by Ole and, if rumours are to be believed, quite vocal in challenging him. Yet he left more on the pitch than almost anyone else.

Again, not excusing Ole. He is absolutely part of the problem. But I do worry about how much we are overrating some of these players.

It's a pattern you see played out all the time, though. Chelsea looked a rabble and people were questioning whether their squad was good enough under Lampard. Tuchel comes in and suddenly we see the players weren't the problem.

When players aren't 100% behind the manager, trust his plan and know what their role is then they are unsure what to do. When you're unsure and second guessing yourself you're more prone to making errors.

That's my reading of it anyway. On another note if the manager can't motivate the players and put them out onto the pitch in the right frame of mind so that they aren't repeatedly making these kinds of errors then he's not the right man.

GregM40

Only really read the first page of reactions and hardly a mention of Pogba anywhere. Abject performance, sorry to upset the fanboys but he is turd, should have got rid in the summer, now he's going to walk for free.

Second half shape was dreadful, no formation, no idea who was playing where.

Having said that I loved the equaliser, pure magic, and worthy of celebration.

Donny looked alright for those 6 or so minutes he got, surely surely surely he's is due a run in this team at some point.

Special shout out to Bailly. Brilliant.

Meller

Hot takes of the day:

Pogba should be let go.

Ole & co needs to go like yesterday.

Maguire is our 4th best CB.

Honestly, I have no idea about what we're trying to do. What's our style of play?
That's not a take I'm just confused.

Djemba-Djemba

No guarantee (usually 10 does). We could lose to Villareal (by enough that Villareal have a better head to head than us) win at YB, and Atalanta beat Villareal and YB and we’re out.

Everything to play for.
So we could maybe go through with 8 points because we have better head to head than Atalanta , but we could also maybe be eliminated with 10 points if Villareal beat us say 2-0?

Confusing!

redmanx

Bailly was immense also tbf. Atalanta would have been out of sight without him.
Bailly had a very good game, but next time out hes just as likely to be rubbish. Consistency is our biggest problem all over the pitch except for Ronaldo who is consistently head and shoulders above the rest.

Glorio

It's interesting comparing how much absolute quality we need to exhibit in order to score any goal against our opponents versus how easily we let teams score against us. Night and day.

redmanx

Hot takes of the day:

Pogba should be let go.

Ole & co needs to go like yesterday.

Maguire is our 4th best CB.

Honestly, I have no idea about what we're trying to do. What's our style of play?
That's not a take I'm just confused.
Another early bath for Pogba; why do we keep playing him?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Maguire and Pogba were down there with some of the worst performances I've seen of a player in a Manchester United shirt.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
How has Ronaldo only got 70% of the MotM vote? :lol:
Because some people actually watch the game before voting. Bailly saved us going down 2-0 and had another similar tackle in the 2nd half. This is without mentioning all the other times his pace covered Maguire's arse.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What's the permutations of the group now?

Two wins obviously through.

A win and a draw obviously through.

What about a loss and a win though? It's a realistic possibility.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

A loss and a win then it would likely come to head to head against villareal I think. So basically would ideally lose 3-2 away to them or something. Unless villareal get a result v Atalanta then we are through.

BorisManUtd

A loss and a win could see us not passing the group. If we lose to Villareal, beat Young Boys, and Atalanta beat both Young Boys and Villarreal, Atalanta would be top with 11 points, while Villarreal and us would be on 10 points, then it's about head to head record between Villarreal and us.

This was a huge point tonight but there's still some way to go there's many different outcomes possible. I'm not confident about Villarreal away, we were lucky to beat them at home and it'll be even tougher away and we don't have a great record against Spanish sides either.

Bad performance tonight again. Bailly was great, and how long hasn't he played? Maguire has to be dropped, I like him as a player but he's been in horrendous form so far this season.

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
So what is the point of qualifying from the group ?
Do you really think this noob manager stands a chance against other elite teams ?

Also, 4th is a mountain to climb now given conte is in spurs.

all in all, CL is not his level.

tldr, sack the noob please. Waste of time.

RopersReturn

I'll keep repeating it: De Gea is done, a liability rather than a safeguard.

Not a good game, we still do not play with a concept, it's only hoping for a individual skill from one of the forwards.

Ronny the goat, Bruno and McT solid. Pogba, Rashford, Maguire terrible. Donny did well in the few minutes he got, maybe some more game time?
Absolutely 100% agree with every point you make. De Gea especially needs to go, we need a sweeper keeper.

Paranoid Android

It's a pattern you see played out all the time, though. Chelsea looked a rabble and people were questioning whether their squad was good enough under Lampard. Tuchel comes in and suddenly we see the players weren't the problem.

When players aren't 100% behind the manager, trust his plan and know what their role is then they are unsure what to do. When you're unsure and second guessing yourself you're more prone to making errors.

That's my reading of it anyway. On another note if the manager can't motivate the players and put them out onto the pitch in the right frame of mind so that they aren't repeatedly making these kinds of errors then he's not the right man.
I hear you, but some of these players have been making the same basic errors since before Ole even became manager.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
One man team, but that man is Ronaldo.
No. Not true. Bruno, AWB played well. Shaw was decent by times. Bailly defended well. McT tried but is just short of that vision and pass and football quality. Greenwood was middling.

Banana Republic

Bailly (excellent performance) and Ronaldo kept us in contention by getting that draw..
Loads of praise rightly placed on Ronnie, but Bailly kept us in that game.

Again, Ole frozen and not making decisions when it wasn’t working out.
Why did it take until the 69th minute, with time starting to run out and the performance becoming more and more disjointed, to hook Pogba and Rashford off the pitch?

It was clear from about the 20th minute in the 1st half that Pogba was a walking (literally) liability, giving the ball away over and over and not having any positive impact on the game.
He should have been replaced at half time, or after being given 10 minutes or so in the 2nd half to try and make amends and stamp his mark.

Similarly, after the first 10 or 15 minutes, Rashford started to look like a dead weight.
Another one who should have been hooked at half time.
We only started to get going when that pair left the pitch.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Dont give too much of a feck about the result as a point away from home is better than 0 & we’re now 1 win away from quali. Who’s next? Valencia away, which may be ok, as they may be without a manager.

But I want to know what the feck is up with Varane. He walked off the pitch alright but he just sat down?
Groin strain, maybe. Hope he is available for the weekend.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Absolutely 100% agree with every point you make. De Gea especially needs to go, we need a sweeper keeper.
100%. With better ball distribution skills and a broader passing range. Peter Schmeichel was brilliant in this regard. Always on the front foot looking for spaces in the wider channels to quickly push play forward.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Ronaldo is without a doubt the greatest goalscorer i have seen in over 50 years watching football and supporting my beloved Reds.That 2nd goal wasnt even a half chance.
Bailly was heroic. Shaw much better, AWB much better.
Pogba was a disgrace, I never want to see him in our colours again.
Well done Donny van de Beek.
Three injury timewinners in 3 Cl games by Ronaldo? Incredible!

PSV

I'll keep repeating it: De Gea is done, a liability rather than a safeguard.

Not a good game, we still do not play with a concept, it's only hoping for a individual skill from one of the forwards.

Ronny the goat, Bruno and McT solid. Pogba, Rashford, Maguire terrible. Donny did well in the few minutes he got, maybe some more game time?
It's a free shot from 15 yards out, through a defender's legs. He doesn't get down in time to save it. I mean, yeah, he probably should have saved it, but this is just silly.

He's been our best player (by some margin) so far this year.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What if we lose 2-1 against Villarreal and we both end up with 10 points? Do they then get through because of the superior goal difference?

Banana Republic

Rumours tonight that Unai Emery is wanted by Newcastle Utd.
Hopefully that’ll put a dent in Villarreal’s confidence, if he goes.

The Irish Connection

Ronaldo and Bailly brilliant. Wan Bissaka and Mctominay good. Pogba, Maguire and De Gea awful. Another poor performance overall.

PSV

What if we lose 2-1 against Villarreal and we both end up with 10 points? Do they then get through because of the superior goal difference?
Well, technically you'd have to factor:
1) our goals against Young Boys (which we have to win obviously).
2) Atalanta's goals against Villarreal (as them winning would be necessary for such scenario).

If this value combined exceeds 5 we're the ones going through. It's a bit of an ask, of course.

Jibbs

Thank you Ronaldo, F U ... we know who!

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Is anybody else feeling a bit awkward that Ronaldo plays for us? Its kind of embarrassing. He's clearly capable of dragging a half decent team far in a CL in this form. And we can't even offer him that
If we'd have signed Conte a few days ago, I'd fancy us winning the CL.
Unfortunately, this season is now a write-off. And if Ole is not fired, next season will be another write-off.

RazorOz

We need to desperately avoid a defeat of worse than 2-1 vs Villarreal. If we do we should go through given we should beat Young Boys at home, if we don't we're relying on either Young Boys getting something vs Atalanta, or Atalanta not beating what would be an already qualified Villarreal on match day 6, a position you never want to be in.

So it will be much clearer after the next game, which is crucial.

When everything is against him and the ceiling is about to come crumbling down Ole always finds the tactics and skills to show that he’s an elite manager who can keep evolving and motivating this absolutely crap squad to out perform against far superior opposition and vastly more expensive squads.

Fantasist two results for Ole, now just imagine what he’d be able to do if he wasn’t operating on such a tight budget and was able to sign players that he wanted and compete with our rivals in the transfer market.

Last edited:

GlasgowCeltic

Absolutely amazing movement and decision making from Bruno and Ronaldo on that first goal

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 69% of 391 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 355 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw