CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

dave2528

We should have battered them but instead we shot ourselves in the foot time and again in the first half.

Elanga did more in 20-odd minutes than Rashford had all game up to that.

I've no clue what Ralf is up to with that squad selection and I'm beginning to think he doesn't either.

Heinzesight

Decent result. Horrendous first hour. Seemed to go up and gear and want it the last 30. We played with more urgency but maybe the opposition were tiring.

Ref was an absolute twat.

Just loved the way Elanga let the ball run for his goal.

stu_1992

All things considered, not the worst result. Second half was much better than our first obviously. I doubted the subs but they did thr business again. Absolutely superb moment for Elanga. Would have been a better result under the old rules but you'd have to favour us now.

Lyng

Both Telles and Elanga should be in front of Shaw and Rashford now. Much more intensity.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not the best, but would have taken 1-1. Let’s get the job done at OT.

always_hoping

Decent result thanks to improved 2nd half performance. Although Atletico was never going to keep that tempo going.

2nd half was a game of basically two chances United took theirs and Atletico hit the crossbar. Finely balanced for the 2nd leg.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fantastic result, especially in light of the first half. In the first half our mental frailty was on full display. We looked lost. So many players' taking too many touches, taking bad touches, making terrible decisions. Second half it got better, Rangnick's changes made fantastic impacts. Especially Elanga and Matic. Once again we see how much we need someone in the front line going in behind rather than going short, once again we see the benefit of having a natural #6 who can take the ball under pressure and advance it. Pity Matic is a grandpa now isn't it?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Rangnick deserves credit for that.

Sure, his Lindelof a RB experiement was a failure, but his subs completely changed the game. Matic brought a calm head and experience to the midfield and Elamha grabbed the equalizer.

Worried about Rashford, his confidence is as low as it could possibly be. It's difficult to see him coming out of this slump any time soon, certainly not this season I doubt. He needs a long spell out of the side.

Real Name

Poor 1st half, better 2nd although we didn't create much. Subs completely changed the game, good result for home game.

God knows what's happening with Rashford but he shouldn't start anymore.

Superunknown

Should have got battered with a person like that, but we came away with something. The result, considering the performance, is great. Did better in the second half. I'm confident that we can win the home game.

Skåre Willoch

Lucky result after 80 minutes of absurd levels of bad.

How did Atletico not get 18 yellow cars?

Kopral Jono

Atletico are your typical high school bullies. You stand up to them and they get rattled.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Excellent result. Very ugly game. Bruno was terrible aside from the assist. Forwards never got going. Ronaldo worked really hard. Atlético went 1-0 and then shut up shop. We looked nervous but grew into the game. The structure was spot on but individual performances were shocking. Pogba and Bruno gave it away so many times. We looked much better with Matic on.

Delighted for Elanga. A real surprise package this season. Tie is in the balance. Could go either way. Neither team is very good and thus are evenly matched. Think it’s a complete 50/50 going into the home leg.

I’m actually grateful for the run of tough games we have. Should sort the men from the boys and help us emerge with a greater sense of identity.

Good resolve to come away with a result.

Atlético are the dirtiest team I can remember playing.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Rhythm is a dancer
Anthony Elanga
Try to stop him if you dare

He's from Scandanavia
He's United's saviour
Scoring goals from everywhere

Woah! It's Elanga!
Woah! You should see him in the air
Woah-oh-oh!
Opening line kills it, imho.

Should start with "Score another banger"

SirScholes

Think some need a reality check, that was a great result, was always going to be difficult.
We aren’t a great team and played a better team, simiones shit tactics costs them
He got Ralph’d.

Deery

Dreary
Meh, glad we got a draw, but just don’t feck about with formations and lineups in the next game or we are going out..

Polar

Difficult game, good result, bad performance. Created almost nothing and I miss dribbling like Felix.

Longshanks

Terrible performance, decent result. If we turn up at Old Trafford then we should see them off

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Matic changed the whole game, inserted a much-needed dose of calmness, maturity and experience. He got us the result, really. Of course, people will vote for Elanga and this is why Rashford is still rated by this fanbase.

As for some of the usual suspects, Bruno was awful, Ronaldo didn't do anything much and Varane was shaky.

Lindelof was our most solid defender out of position and deserves to play as a CB ahead of Maguire and dare I say it, Varane.

Finally, Rashford needs to find a different sport to practice, football is not for him, as it requires running and technical talent. He never had the latter and he's lost his speed or confidence in his speed after that injury.

Rustyspider13

Great result after a shocking first half. Incredibly happy for Elanga, kid deserves to start over Rashford every game, who needs to take a long hard look at himself. It's frustrating to see our players only run for 45 mins, but we showed a lot more energy second half. While I don't agree with Pogba's sub, it's undeniable that the changes worked. We desperately need McT for back, just to combat Kondogbia's presence in midfield. I don't know what'll happen in the second leg, but at least we're still in the tie.

Dante

Average bang
We'll desperately need McTominay in the return leg.

The worst thing is that this team keeps showing what it's capable of at its best. But for some reason, hardly ever wants to do it.

If we show up and play to just 75% of our potential, we'll get through. But if we're as lethargic as today, we won't.

cyberman

We don’t have one player who can hold onto the ball. It’s pathetic. Cannot believe we got a draw out of that.
We fill got a draw because Simeone style of play fails in Europe time and time again. It’s like clockwork. You can’t sit back against anybody anymore, modern teams are too progressive.
They scored, sat back and frustrated us. It was a shocking performance for a home team in CL and they threw that away. They deserved what they got.
They’ll sit back at OT and create feck all, they’ve missed their chance imo. Worst we get after 90 mins is a draw, we don’t actually lose that many games

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Current form:

- Elanga is 10x better than Rashford
- Telles is 10x better than Luke Shaw
- Ronaldo is done. It's sad how he has declined since the syrt of the season. We are badly missinv a quality striker

Overall, surprisingly good result 1-1 away.

Torbalan

At first I thought we are too poor and can't even help it, but it turned out it was a game plan - to save energy in the first half so we can play some proper football in the second half. Because the players are obviously in a bad physical shape. This once again proves that the former coaching staff were extremely incompetent in every possible way.

madzo2007

Scholes is a miserable pundit

Great result and a terrible performance. Seemed like Simeone's tactics were different from what everyone expected and how they usually play.

ExoduS

We stole this one. Nothing to back up in Manchester as we haven't showed anything. We are still just an average side. Disorganized and clueless. We have to be very happy with the result. In all honesty Atletico didn't really have that many chances. We can do worse than this. :)

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd