CL D Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Atletico Madrid 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 February 2022

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Rashford is toast.
...and he'll keep getting selected.
RR knows more about football than most of us, yet I cannot understand why he keeps picking players who are clearly not good enough.
Have the board told him that he must pick players like Rashford and Maguire, no matter what?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
That’s a terrific result tonight. Would gladly have taken it before kick-off and even more so after the horrid start we had.

I reckon we’ll get after them big style in the return leg and provided we don’t get caught cold with a stupid concession out of the blue (like we are prone to), I fancy us to go through now.

This team desperately needs a jolt of confidence and knocking a team with genuine European pedigree out - no matter Atletico’s troubles this season - will surely give us that. That makes us a very dangerous proposition for any side should we get into the quarters. Worse sides than ourselves have gone all the way unexpectedly.

Let’s keep the faith; we are improving every week and Rangnick’s substitutions have a very healthy knack of turning up trumps. That has to be good for squad morale.

DeGea’sFeet

Was it me or was the referee given Atletico free kicks every time one of there players fell over?

Terrible 1st half, improved second half. If someone said 3 months ago we’d dream 1-1 away to Atletico most people wouldn’t believe it.

Lindalof my MOT. Also Scholes is really sour face pundit.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
For the second leg we need: Telles in for Shaw and on free kicks ahead of Ronaldo. Also drop Rashford and Matic to start

Yakuza_devils

When Rashford broke into first team as teenager his football IQ was questioned and now it's deteriorating. Nowhere near good enough for Man Utd.

Pogba doesn't deserve a new contract demanding to be paid as one of the highest paid footballer.

Let Ronaldo go in the summer. He is not suitable for high intensity pressing game. He was bought for Ole system but forced down the throat of Rangnick.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
RR knows more about football than most of us, yet I cannot understand why he keeps picking players who are clearly not good enough.
Have the board told him that he must pick players like Rashford and Maguire, no matter what?
He loves his quick players, see Werner.

I think he, like many of us, believes he cannot get much worse and he keeps proving him wrong time and again.

I think Elanga should start because he offers the same and more than our supposed superstar.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Rangnick deserves credit for that.

Sure, his Lindelof a RB experiement was a failure, but his subs completely changed the game. Matic brought a calm head and experience to the midfield and Elamha grabbed the equalizer.

Worried about Rashford, his confidence is as low as it could possibly be. It's difficult to see him coming out of this slump any time soon, certainly not this season I doubt. He needs a long spell out of the side.
Wonder if that injury he had is a part of the problem? in any case, he's lost all confidence and the more anxious he gets, the more he messes up. Hope he can sort it out though.

Castia

We were shite but most of it was our own doing they didn’t cause too many problems in all honesty.

Not a plastic hoe.

As usual a poor and unconvincing performance. Got saved by the pole twice and thanks to Oblack’s awful positioning we scored despite doing feck all.
Hoping for a better display in the other leg.

jesperjaap

Really poor first half, the subs did well and that is telling. Several average or old/young players came on and were far better than some of these seriously inconsistant supposed big names.

As poor as he has been this season and Bissaka should start for me, anybody should start over Rashford for me, Id includ emyself even presently ffs!

Also Matic is the only consistently capable midfielder we have in terms of strength, intelligence and ball retention under pressure,,,,,and he is way past it. We seriously need to rebuild the middle, speaking of which, good to see Mejbri on te bench again, I hope we get to see him at some point this season but with us struggling to dominate a game with a clear scoreline, dotn see it as likely

Marcus

I think Rashford was played to gjve Elanga some rest.

90 + 5min

FIrst half ok. Second more then ok.

We took controll of the game when Matic came in. Brilliant sub.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Let Ronaldo go in the summer. He is not suitable for high intensity pressing game. He was bought for Ole system but forced down the throat of Rangnick.
I'm not 100% sure about that. I think he was bought to be our Tom Brady with the owners looking for a quick win thanks to his experience and influence, but it's not working out. We should reserve him for the CL only at this point and subs in league matches. He's 37, can't be starting even one match a week, let alone two.

JG3001

If we’re being critical, a better team would have beat Atletico tonight. But considering our position in football, it’s a good result

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Was it me or was the referee given Atletico free kicks every time one of there players fell over?

Terrible 1st half, improved second half. If someone said 3 months ago we’d dream 1-1 away to Atletico most people wouldn’t believe it.

Agreed with most of your post but Lindelof motm ??!! In fairness they were all shite so cant think of anyone who deserves it more...Elanga for the goal I spose ! :lol:

Irwin99

Never been a huge Matic fan during his time here but he did make a difference when he came on and obviously Elanga got the goal :drool:

I feel more confident that if the crowd are up for it and the players match that intensity then we'll win at OT

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Heartily disagree, think the team needs to play with the urgency and desire of Ronaldo. Rest of the team looks completely uninterested, Rashford and Shaw especially.

Kag

I actually think we’ll go through after that. They’re not a great team either. If they were, they’d have put those halfwits to the sword by half time.

If ever a game was needed to highlight the glaring holes in the squad then it was this one.

Our recruitment, or lack of, has been abysmal.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't care what country Elanga thinks he's from. With that accent, he's a Manc.
He's Swedish apparently. I looked it up after he grabbed the equalizer :p

But wouldn't England be an option for him considering he's been with United since the age of 12?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I actually think we’ll go through after that. They’re not a great team either. If they were, they’d have put those halfwits to the sword by half time.

If ever a game was needed to highlight the glaring holes in the squad then it was this one.

Our recruitment, or lack of, has been abysmal.
For sure.

We're crying out for a competent midfield.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Aletico Madrid is such a poorly coached attackinh team. After 1-0, they went into a shell at home. I feel like they would be better of with the talent they have with a more forward thinking manager. Maybe ETH could manager them next and get them playing good football.

Good result from us. Not sure how the next leg will go

littlepeasoup

Deserved the point. Came out second half and actually played some half decent stuff. Showed up Athletico for what they are which is a fecking boring, defence minded bunch of shithousing cnuts.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
For all their huffing and puffing Athletico didn’t create too much.
Totally agree.
Thought Atletico were poor offensively, were very strong in midfield and defence.
The first goal was one of those one in a million efforts, the first woodwork job came off a United player, but Griezmans effort was really good, that was unlucky.
We are so passive when we have the ball, our first thought seems to be to play the ball back.
Neither Shaw or Lindelof pushed forward much, Maguire and Varane looked nervous, Fred worked hard for 94 minutes, did some great midfield work, but also some poor touches, but better than both Pogba and Bruno. Sancho was ok, without really getting much ball, Ronaldo had no decent ball, but Rashford is just off his game totally at the moment.
Telles looked good down the left, albeit that Atletico were getting tired, AWB looked more 'on it' tonight, and Matic was ok. Lingard one decent effort, and Elanga gave the team a buzz going forward, thought he didn't connect cleanly with the goal, but that was his first touch.
Overall we were very poor first half, better second half, especially after we scored.

Jazz

Not you - that's exactly what happened. It was irritating as hell.

Moriarty

I'm glad we got something out of that mostly forgettable game. What's going on with Rashford though? He's a shadow of the player he was. Maybe it's a confidence thing, maybe he's plateaued but he's clearly not enjoying himself on the pitch. Happy for Elaga though. A bright spot in a dull game and he deserves a starting spot.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'll take the result.

It was a terrible game of football and it took a 19 year old kid to beat Atleti's shithousery and anti-football tricks.

Ronaldo, Rashford, Bruno (bar the pass to Elanga, Pogba and Sancho should be paying him a bonus this week. They were awful and couldn't handle the battle in their half.

Jazz

He's Swedish apparently. I looked it up after he grabbed the equalizer :p

But wouldn't England be an option for him considering he's been with United since the age of 12?
Let's not ruin the lad :lol: Let him play for Sweden without all the madness from playing for England.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Would have settled for 1-1 before the game started. After that performance, I’m delighted with it. We stank the place out all over the park. Another big game where more than a few went AWOL. Hope Elanga gets a start at the weekend.

Jazz

I'm glad we got something out of that mostly forgettable game. What's going on with Rashford though? He's a shadow of the player he was. Maybe it's a confidence thing, maybe he's plateaued but he's clearly not enjoying himself on the pitch. Happy for Elaga though. A bright spot in a dull game and he deserves a starting spot.
Rashford lacking confidence big time. His lack of technical ability is also another problem for him as he can't fall back on that when he's feeling shaky. Still, I hope he sorts himself out.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 266 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atletico Madrid win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Atletico Madrid 1:1 Man Utd
  • 18% Atletico Madrid 1:2 Man Utd